Sliders fans which worlds were the most implausible?

NomadicSky

Banned
British States of America world-California wouln't be British, even if it was The British wouldn't allow such a ridiculously high tax rate and it wouldn't be so undemocratic.

Summer of love-Hippy world- No Astrology and yet an almost identical culture.

Slide like an Egyptian- Why in the hell was the culture so much like ours with a pod so far back? They even spoke English there.

The one with wizards in it. But in any event the later parts of the series it was mostly SF-nal settings with no serious effort to have a real POD.

Bruce

Huh well you can give sliders some suspence of disbelief in the same way you got to give a star trek world suspence of disbelief because they have to wrap up history in a single POD which most people know and they simply can't make a DoD-level of change cause of the explanation.

Well Psychic world was pretty weird

but the show pretty much dumped anything remotly historic by season 3 so...

Yeah, once the Cro-maggs showed up it kinda went weird, at least IIRC that was when the cro-maggs happened

I'd say the world where men and women change gender roles. The POD was so far back, that you couldn't ignore the fact that women would still have to take care of young children.

The worlds discussed above and the one where somehow or other all scientific development froze in the late 40's. Even if this happened for a couple of years in one country or another it would be impossible to last for long.

The worlds discussed above and the one where somehow or other all scientific development froze in the late 40's. Even if this happened for a couple of years in one country or another it would be impossible to last for long.

Yeah, I remember that one. I think I only saw the first series, then lost interest. I've sen the odd episode now and then after that.

Well, the rationale there is that people felt the nuclear bomb was so awful that it couldn't be used again - and scientists might come up with something even worse. Technological advance provided the means to build nuclear weapons:therefore, technological advance must be frozen.

There's at least some kind of logic behind it. But like you say, it would haveto be every country, all at once, agreeing to do this. Otherwise, the Cold War goes in the favour of the Soviets pretty quickly...

I thought the entire Sliders series was totally crapola. The first espisode dealing w/ the main characters sliding into Soviet world was the only one that was even remotely plausible, but unfortunately the series went rapidly down hill from there.

Yeah, I remember that one. I think I only saw the first series, then lost interest. I've sen the odd episode now and then after that.

Well, the rationale there is that people felt the nuclear bomb was so awful that it couldn't be used again - and scientists might come up with something even worse. Technological advance provided the means to build nuclear weapons:therefore, technological advance must be frozen.

There's at least some kind of logic behind it. But like you say, it would haveto be every country, all at once, agreeing to do this. Otherwise, the Cold War goes in the favour of the Soviets pretty quickly...

Well, one could do a fixup of that: it's a US-dominated world, in which the Reich wiped out the USSR and the US eventual victory involved energetic use of nuclear and chemical and biological weapons by both sides. With a devastated Europe on board with the program and the Third World being, well, the Third World...

Bruce

Well, one could do a fixup of that: it's a US-dominated world, in which the Reich wiped out the USSR and the US eventual victory involved energetic use of nuclear and chemical and biological weapons by both sides. With a devastated Europe on board with the program and the Third World being, well, the Third World...

Bruce

Yeah, that could work actually!

Glen

It was a sweet concept, but yeah some of the worlds were utter tripe. It would be a good show for a re-imagining like BSG.

I'd say it was the one where a show called "Sliders" continued on the air for five seasons.

I just can't buy into the plausibility of something that bad lasting that long. :p

Honestly, I think you'd have an easier and quicker time listing off the least-implausible ones. Though one that does come immediately to mind, as far as implausibility goes, is the Earth that is destroyed by pulsar fragments which do not appear to be an issue for any other Earth. You'd think a cosmic event like that would be outside the purview of "changing history."

The same with the asteroid impact one early on. Why did parallel versions of this asteroid not threaten any other parallel Earths?

Honestly, I think you'd have an easier and quicker time listing off the least-implausible ones. Though one that does come immediately to mind, as far as implausibility goes, is the Earth that is destroyed by pulsar fragments which do not appear to be an issue for any other Earth. You'd think a cosmic event like that would be outside the purview of "changing history."

The same with the asteroid impact one early on. Why did parallel versions of this asteroid not threaten any other parallel Earths?

That sounds an interesting one, actually. Which episode? Any idea? There must be some site out there with episode synopses...

In Sliders I don't think they really work sliding into alternate histories. Just weird versions of our world.
I mean just look at how everything was the same except with a little tint of the new world. And all the duplicates of people.
I think his sliding machine must have specially picked up on dimensions which coincidentally worked out so close to his.

'Sliders' done right would be so awesome though. A British company should do it. It can have lots of guns and bombs and Nazi bad guys.