Looks like the Rebels going for a first round knock out.

May John Wilkes Booth try his Lincoln Kidnap scheme in this earlier time?

If successful how would he be viewed historically?

Maybe Lincoln pulls off the Great Escape?

Swears revenge from New York, war turns more nasty?

Wonderful. A TL in which the Confederacy lasts long enough to be nuked into oblivion. Great idea. . . For a divided America. Of course, there is always a chance that all the slaves will be freed and leave the Confederacy for good. Death to the planter class!

Yes.

Slavery Forever.

Yes.!!!!

Why did he pick McClellan straight away?

McClellan had a good deal of experience with railroads and logistics, and was placed in charge of the Department of Ohio just like OTL. ITTL, however, with Maryland's secession and DC's surrounding the pressure for the Union to score quick victories is even greater, so Lincoln puts pressure on military leaders earlier on to take the fight to the South.

No joke but I actually kind of get the case for modern Western MD secession (as long as Frederick and Carroll County comes along, otherwise its a fiscal nonstarter)

The state always screws us over in terms of highway funding and rifle/shotgun firearm legislation without consultation, as well as disbursement of education funds.

In terms of the TL, I wonder what the impact of not having to garrison MD will be on the Union. In OTL they spent a lot of resources guarding the state throughout the war. Perhaps a bigger main Eastern Army? The OTL Maryland Union contribution was relatively small as things stood. I believe more Tennesseans fought for the Union than Marylanders did.

That's a crazy amount of mobilization for the first year of the war. Are the Marylanders going let anyone else fight it? Also those cannon must be quite impressive if they can threaten shipping to the Delaware from Assateague and Fenwick?

That's a crazy amount of mobilization for the first year of the war. Are the Marylanders going let anyone else fight it? Also those cannon must be quite impressive if they can threaten shipping to the Delaware from Assateague and Fenwick?

Well the regiments certainly aren't full strength - the average size is around 450, and the quote is over exaggerated, likely not taking into account people double enlisting for the bonus. It's more likely that the Marylanders have around 5, 000 to, at most, 10, 000 ready or in training.

As for that - my geography is off, it should be the Atlantic.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but it seems like a really random place to plop down coastal defenses. I would expect them to be concentrated around harbors, maybe around the mouth of the Chesapeake, but randomly pointing outward into the ocean in an area as easy to isolate as the eastern shore is a bit strange.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but it seems like a really random place to plop down coastal defenses. I would expect them to be concentrated around harbors, maybe around the mouth of the Chesapeake, but randomly pointing outward into the ocean in an area as easy to isolate as the eastern shore is a bit strange.

Remember though that Confederate raiders can use Sinepuxent Bay, Chincoteague Bay and Ilse of Wight bay to shelter from Union naval vessels at the various harbors there. Defending those could be important to the South. Also, defending Maryland territory, especially it’s only Atlantic beaches, would have symbolic importance to the government, even if it’s only a cannon or two.