Se Deus quiser, há-de brilhar! - Uma História do Império Português (Updated 03/18)

The Americas will likely be discovered in the late 1490s/early 1500s, and for the time being I am going for the French to discover it and make a landfall in the Southeastern USA under Columbus, based on an earlier post, although that might change.

Speaking about events for this TL outside of the Iberian Peninsula, here's my ideas/hints about what will change in the rest of Europe too when I get to chapters outside of the area. Please feel free to give feedback/suggestions.
  • The Habsburg-Valois conflict in Italy leads to Italy being divided into the French and Austrian spheres, and the French supporting Milan's ambitions to unify Northern Italy slowly at the expense of Venice and Tuscany, which are allied with Austria, the Papal States and Naples, which is ruled in a personal union with Aragon. Italy will not be unified as in OTL but will be split into Italy in the North and the Two Sicilies under a branch of the Trastamaras
  • I have mentioned earlier that the Protestant Reformation will be weaker TTL, so in addition to England remaining a Catholic country I am also going for Germany to be eventually united by the Habsburgs, and Prussia will somewhat like the Protestant analogue to OTL's Austria
  • The successful joint Polish-Hungarian-Bohemian Balkan Crusade against the Ottomans to avenge Varna following the Granadan War will lay the foundations of what would be the Polish-Lithuanian-Hungarian commonwealth that would terrify Russia, Austria, the Ottoman Empire and probably Denmark-Norway/Sweden, and the four would probably unite in order to weaken such a huge country and exploit its regional, internal problems, despite not being an elective monarchy as in OTL's PLC

1) Sounds good.
2) Sounds good too but how will this Prussia be? Just East Prussia? I'm just curious.
3) Polish-Lithuanian-Hungary? That country either can last against huge coalitions as the Ottomans did or...it's gone at some point...given how many countries will dislike such a huge and powerful country...more so when there is no Elective Monarchy...

2) Sounds good too but how will this Prussia be? Just East Prussia? I'm just curious.
3) Polish-Lithuanian-Hungary? That country either can last against huge coalitions as the Ottomans did or...it's gone at some point...given how many countries will dislike such a huge and powerful country...more so when there is no Elective Monarchy...

Few things here
2) If Poland and Lithuania is united with Hungary, Prussia doesn't have a chance to even exist, the state is just simply too strong for Prussians to handle, and even IOTL Prussia's rise was more about Polish mistakes which allowed Polish vassal to unite with Brandenburg by letting elector of Brandenburg take throne of duchy of Prussia.
Now, we're in 1490s and the war who allowed duchy of Prussia emerge itself happened in 1510s-1520s, the war which allowed them to unite with Brandenburg (Sigismund III needed the cash from Hohenzollern so he allowed elector to inherit Prussia after mad duke Albert Frederick died in exchange from said money) happened in 1610s, and the war which allowed Prussia to become free from Polish sovereignty happened in 1650s-1660s, there is no way that things here would end up exactly the same as IOTL, especially if there is getting rid of elective monarchy (which would enable monarchs to do their policies without constant need to bicker with nobility about their son's succesion), and if there is also Hungary added, which would probably mean that Bohemia is part of that state as well, since absolutely easiest way to achieve this (P-L-H union) is to place that man https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladislaus_II_of_Hungary upon thrones of Poland and Lithuania. The foreign countries would absolutely hate this union, but I suppose that main opponents would be Russia, Ottomans and Scandinavian states, maybe the threat from the south would make Kalmar union stay united.

1) Sounds good.
Few things here
2) If Poland and Lithuania is united with Hungary, Prussia doesn't have a chance to even exist, the state is just simply too strong for Prussians to handle, and even IOTL Prussia's rise was more about Polish mistakes which allowed Polish vassal to unite with Brandenburg by letting elector of Brandenburg take throne of duchy of Prussia.
Now, we're in 1490s and the war who allowed duchy of Prussia emerge itself happened in 1510s-1520s, the war which allowed them to unite with Brandenburg (Sigismund III needed the cash from Hohenzollern so he allowed elector to inherit Prussia after mad duke Albert Frederick died in exchange from said money) happened in 1610s, and the war which allowed Prussia to become free from Polish sovereignty happened in 1650s-1660s, there is no way that things here would end up exactly the same as IOTL, especially if there is getting rid of elective monarchy (which would enable monarchs to do their policies without constant need to bicker with nobility about their son's succesion), and if there is also Hungary added, which would probably mean that Bohemia is part of that state as well, since absolutely easiest way to achieve this (P-L-H union) is to place that man https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladislaus_II_of_Hungary upon thrones of Poland and Lithuania. The foreign countries would absolutely hate this union, but I suppose that main opponents would be Russia, Ottomans and Scandinavian states, maybe the threat from the south would make Kalmar union stay united.
Maybe an Lutheran counterpart to "Austria" would be better suited off as a union between Brandenburg and Pomerania with most of Silesia, Saxony or both since Prussia would just be reduced to a mere Polish voivodeship per Zygmunt Stary's suggestion. And maybe an independent duchy somewhere in the Baltics under Swedish or Kalmar Union influence.

Probably I can get Alexander Jagiellon's rule to be butterflied away so Vladislaus can get the Polish throne once John Albert dies per OTL in 1501 for the PLHC to happen for this TL, although I am thinking about trading Poland and Lithuania for Bohemia to the Habsburgs to not make it a bit too powerful.

I have to wonder what Portugal’s reaction to the Protestants will be assuming it’s under different rulers.
Since the whole British Isles will remain Catholic, as well as the Low Countries remaining under the main Austrian Habsburg line and that the Reformation will be just a regional movement in Germany, Switzerland and Scandinavia, a more powerful Portugal would be happy to open trade relations with the weakened Protestant world, although it would obviously not meddle in their affairs. However, the number of Scandinavian Catholics will be much bigger than OTL given that the Portugal will take in Catholic refugees from Norway, Iceland and the Faroes and have them settled in Terranova to escape persecution.

Maybe an Lutheran counterpart to "Austria" would be better suited off as a union between Brandenburg and Pomerania with most of Silesia, Saxony or both since Prussia would just be reduced to a mere Polish voivodeship per Zygmunt Stary's suggestion. And maybe an independent duchy somewhere in the Baltics under Swedish or Kalmar Union influence.

Probably I can get Alexander Jagiellon's rule to be butterflied away so Vladislaus can get the Polish throne once John Albert dies per OTL in 1501 for the PLHC to happen for this TL, although I am thinking about trading Poland and Lithuania for Bohemia to the Habsburgs to not make it a bit too powerful.

Habsburgs were simply not able to defeat even Hungary itself in open field, Hungarians during the times of Matthias Corvinus took Vienna alone and Poland and Lithuania have no other choices than Vladislaus if Alexander is dead (Sigismund got along with him and Frederick is an clergyman), how they could defeat united Hungary, Lithuania, Poland and Bohemia?

Habsburgs were simply not able to defeat even Hungary itself in open field, Hungarians during the times of Matthias Corvinus took Vienna alone and Poland and Lithuania have no other choices than Vladislaus if Alexander is dead (Sigismund got along with him and Frederick is an clergyman), how they could defeat united Hungary, Lithuania, Poland and Bohemia?
Perhaps Bohemia could be given to the Habsburgs somewhere later in the late 17th century or TTL's counterpart of the partitions of Poland as I am having the Jagiellonians to last up to the modern day if that would be the case as I still have intentions of preventing the PLHC from becoming way too powerful as I want to balance it out with my idea for Habsburg-unified Germany.

Chapter 11 - The Granadan War, Act II
Chapter 11 - The Granadan War, Act II

- The Ottoman Response -

317px-Sultan_II._Bayezit.jpg

Sultan Bayezid II of the Ottoman Empire

In late August of 1501, after hearing the news of the fall of Málaga, Sultan Muhammad XII and a representative of the Wattasids travelled to the Sublime Porte in Constantinople. Muhammad and the envoy then discussed plans for a potential great jihad with their Ottoman counterpart, Bayezid II on the Ottoman intervention in not only just Granada, but also along the entire Southern Mediterranean. The plan was to bring 20,000 troops under the privateer and admiral Kemal Reis, who had just defeated a large Venetian fleet at Cape Zonchio in the Peloponnese two years ago to land at Valencia and incite unrest among its large Mudéjar population, as well as assist the Granadans in defending the Emirate by landing in Almería, which was not captured by the Castilians. Kemal had been involved in interfering with both the Castilians and the Aragonese, raiding towns along the Balearic coast from 1487 to 1495, when he was made an admiral of the Ottoman Navy. A smaller army of 10,000 led by Hersekzade Ahmed Pasha would reinforce the Wattasids in Morocco by initiating a surprise attack against the Portuguese in Tânger and Ceuta, occupy the said cities and reinforce their rule over there. In addition, the corsair brothers Oruç and Hızır Reis were summoned by Bayezid to provide 40 galleys to support Kemal’s fleet to aggressively combat Portuguese, Castilian and Aragonese ships in the Mediterranean at all costs.

The two armies, totaling 30,000 men, were to be the most daunting invasion force the Ottomans have assembled since the failed Siege of Otranto in 1480-1481. Bayezid, no longer preoccupied with the Mamluks across the border in which he engaged in a decade ago and with victory against the Venetian forces becoming inevitable approved the invasion plans, determined to defend his Muslim brethren in Granada and keep the Castilians and Portuguese in check to the last man.

Hafsid1400.png

The Hafsid and Zayyanid Sultanates, circa 1400 AD

Along the way back to Granada, Muhammad XII then travelled to Tunis and Tlemcen, the respective capital cities of the Hafsid and Zayyanid sultanates. In his overtures to Sultans Abu Abdallah Muhammad IV of the Hafsids and Abu Abdallah IV of the Zayyanids, in which they would assist the Granadans and the Ottomans and rally against the Christian Iberian kingdoms. Both Sultans, alarmed by the encroachment and fearing that they would be next to be conquered after Granada falls, surprisingly accepted the Sultan’s plea.

- The Intervention -

1024px-Citadel-Gozo.jpg

The remains of Gozo's Citadella, which held off the Ottoman invaders during the war

Shortly before the invasion, a joint Ottoman-Granadan-Wattasid-Hafsid-Zayyanid jihad against Portugal, Castile and Aragon to defend the last of al-Andalus and Maghreb was declared and read out loud by Sultan Bayezid II, much to the excitement of the crowd in Constantinople. The Ottomans finally intervened in October of 1501, with Kemal Reis’s army successfully occupying the island of Malta [1], which was part of the Kingdom of Sicily, whose domains are ruled by the King of Aragon Enrique I (except for the smaller island for Gozo, which stubbornly held off due to the fierce resistance from the island’s Citadella fortress) thanks to the sheer firepower of Ottoman artillery, which held off its last Muslim invasion in 1429 when the Hafsid forces attempted to capture the island, only to pillage the countryside. The small island was to be used as a waypoint between the Ottomans and the Maghrebi coast in order to get to Granada. The following month later, the smaller island of Pantelleria was seized without any resistance, which was later used by the corsair brothers as their base to harass Castilian and Aragonese ships. Subsequently, cities and towns along the southern coast of Sicily, such as Syracuse, Ragusa, Gela, Agrigento and Marsala were raided and occupied by an Ottoman garrison mostly comprised of levies and non-Muslim Greek, Serbian and Bulgarian auxiliaries with a small janissary detachment, as well as as Zayyanid and Hafsid forces, much to the resistance of the local inhabitants.

Muvim10.jpg

A small scale model of Valencia in the 16th century (Image Source)​

By mid-December, Kemal Reis’s forces landed at Valencia, and with the help of the region’s large Mudéjar community ransacked the entire area. Around half of the city was ravaged and burnt to the ground, including most of the city center. The city’s notable buildings like the famous Llotja de la Seda, the symbol of the city’s commercial prosperity were either vandalized or destroyed, and the remains of the city’s cathedral was converted to a makeshift mosque for the Mudéjars. Kemal’s army then made similar raids on Cartagena and Alicante on his way before landing in Almería. Around the same time, Hersekzade’s smaller army landed at the Tânger Peninsula much to the help of the Wattasids and seized both Tânger and Ceuta, where the small Portuguese garrison was decimated while the Portuguese forces in Granada led by Pacheco Pereira were away assisting Fernández de Córdoba’s forces in Málaga.

- The Invasion of Morocco -

640px-Castle-DuarteGalvao3.jpg

The São Jorge Castle as depicted in a 16th century illuminated manuscript of Lisbon

Pope_Alexander_Vi.jpg

Rodrigo de Borgia, Pope Alexander VI

As the news of the Ottoman intervention reached the king’s court in the Palace of Alcáçova in Lisbon’s São Jorge Castle, João II reacted angrily as he heard that a large army had raided Valencia, as well as the raids along the Balearic coast and the seizure of both Tânger and Ceuta. The following year in March of 1502, he and Queen Juana of Castile travelled to Rome to meet with Pope Alexander VI to discuss the situation in Granada and North Africa. One of the pope’s last actions before his death one year later in 1503 was to proclaim a crusade, led by Portugal, Castile and Aragon to drive the Moors out of Iberia and bring back North Africa to Christendom as it once was back when Rome ruled them in the past.

Two months later, the Council of War was summoned in Lisbon to prepare to invasion of the Moroccan coast, and a grand army of 60,000 led by the King was assembled to take on the Wattasids, comprising of 20,000 Portuguese soldiers (14,000 footmen, mostly a mix of pikemen and handgunners with some crossbows, 4,000 cavalry and 2,000 knights), summoned from Portugal, Galiza and Leão, as well as 40,000 mercenaries (12,000 Italians, 6,000 English, 14,500 Germans, 7,500 Flemish) and 60 cannons, with the mercenaries being paid from Portugal’s vast wealth, from gold and ivory in Guinea to the spices being sold from India thanks to Vasco da Gama’s recent journey.

The army would then depart from Lisbon in late May and landed near the abandoned town of Laraxe, where Portuguese spies reported to the King that the Wattasid Sultan, Abu Abd Allah al-Sheikh Muhammad ibn Yahya has mustered a large army of 30,000 (mostly made up of infantry and some cavalry, including 5,000 tribal shock cavalry) near Alcácer Quibir alongside with Hersekzade’s smaller Ottoman army of 10,000 and 20 cannons. João II’s army, accompanied by Infante Afonso, decided to head southeast towards the direction of the said town, where the opposing armies met in the right bank of the Loukkos River on June 4th of 1502.

- The Battle of Alcácer Quibir -

Cena_da_Batalha_de_Alcácer_Quibir.png

A romanticized depiction of Infante Afonso leading his knights during the Battle of Alcácer Quibir from a 19th century painting

The battle began when the Portuguese handgunners and cannons begin to exchange volleys of gunfire against the Moroccan-Ottoman army, with the Portuguese gaining the upper hand as they have more firepower than the Moroccans, inflicting heavy casualties on them despite the presence of Ottoman janissaries trying to fire back. The Wattasid Sultan then unleashed his tribal horsemen, numbering around 5,000 surging forward to flank the Portuguese forces, with the Moroccan infantry and the Ottoman army following to counter the Portuguese forces straight ahead towards the main column. The Portuguese knights then tried to counter the flank, resulting in a melee between the Portuguese and Moroccan cavalry.

During the melee, Infante Afonso’s contingent of knights and the Infante himself approached the Sultan. A duel between the two ensued and despite suffering minor wounds from the battle, Infante Afonso managed to slay Abu Abd Allah al-Sheikh Muhammad ibn Yahya as he drew his sword upon his neck, blowing a wound and leading to the Sultan falling down from his horse. This created momentum as the Moroccan infantry and cavalry began to panic as they saw their poor Sultan, stiff and lying on the ground in his pool of blood. Minutes later into the battle, João II’s knights encircled the Ottoman contingent after Hersekzade Ahmed Pasha was fatally shot by one of the Portuguese cannon balls. The entire janissary contingent was decimated and seeing all hope lost, the remaining Moroccan and Ottoman troops lost heart as the entire army was encircled by the Portuguese in the last half hour of the battle.

Battle (3).png

The Battle of Alcácer Quibir ended after 3 hours of heavy fighting, resulting in total defeat of the Moroccan-Ottoman army with 30,000 killed during the battle, with 8,000 captured and less than 2,000 escaping north to Tânger. By contrast, the Portuguese suffered way less casualties with around 5,000 killed during the battle, most of them during the phase when the Moroccan cavalry tried to flank the Portuguese forces. Over the next three weeks, the Portuguese army began to move up north to recapture Tânger and Ceuta with minimal losses. The battle is viewed with great pride by many Portuguese today in the same vein as Aljubarrota in 1385, Ceuta in 1415 and Toro in 1476 as it helped consolidate the Portuguese to pave the way for making Marrocos an integral part of Metropolitan Portugal. As the main Moroccan army and the smaller Ottoman army was decimated and the Portuguese free to dominate most of the Moroccan coast for the duration of the war, the tide slowly began to turn towards the Portuguese and the Castilians.

[1] The Hospitaller fortifications that held off the Ottomans in the OTL Great Siege of Malta in 1565 weren't built just yet, leading to the Ottoman forces having an easier time to break the early fortifications 64 years earlier.

Note - I've finally updated my timeline after nearly eight months as I have completely recovered from my issues, although I am still concentrated in going through my classes (assembly language is kinda hard, Japanese II is easy and data analytics is awesome BTW). The intervention of not only the Ottoman Empire, but also the Hafsid and Zayyanid sultanates in a unified jihad against Portugal, Castile and Aragon has expanded the Granadan War into a regional war spanning much of the Southern Mediterranean, from Morocco to Sicily. The Portuguese army has singlehandedly defeated the Moroccan-Ottoman army at Alcácer Quibir and is willing to march east along the coast. I will be uploading a map soon and in the next two chapters, I will be dealing with the war from the Castilian and Aragonese perspective along with the closing stages and the final peace treaty. Any suggestions and/or feedback for this chapter?

Last edited:
A very good update. I presume that Ottoman incursions in Valencia and Grenada will be defeated soon too?

On the other hand, maybe it would be better if Portugal lost the battle of Alcacer Quibir? If won, it will just take them into a endless warfare/rebellions in North Africa/Morocco. And that will just sap the strength of Portugal.

About discovery of Americas- what happened to Columbus and John Cabot? Did they find anyone to fund them? If they went from France or England, they will have to arrive into today's Canada more or less, because of currents and prevailing winds.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
A very good update. I presume that Ottoman incursions in Valencia and Grenada will be defeated soon too?

On the other hand, maybe it would be better if Portugal lost the battle of Alcacer Quibir? If won, it will just take them into a endless warfare/rebellions in North Africa/Morocco. And that will just sap the strength of Portugal.

About discovery of Americas- what happened to Columbus and John Cabot? Did they find anyone to fund them? If they went from France or England, they will have to arrive into today's Canada more or less, because of currents and prevailing winds.
In regards to Morocco it really depends on how Portuguese handle the country.

this Portugal is about 3x the size of iotl Portugal and has huge resources at its disposal but you right if it overextends itself it will be sucked into endless war.

on other hand if it keeps to coast 50-100 kilometers and supports remains Moroccan leaders to form few (at least two vassal kingdoms) these kingdoms can stay for most part I depend with only needing to provide token payment to Portuguese crown. But Portugal can control the trade and these countries can also act as buffer to rest of Islamic world.

the Portuguese can strengthen the coastal town and cities snd slowly go about converting and settling the region. Plus if they provide the Berbers with protection from persecution and attack by Arabs they gain allies and converts. In 100 years these territories will look totally different than rest of Morocco.

another thing is that Portuguese conquest and reconquista would serve as example for Castile and Aragon to attempt to conquer North Africa. The result may not need to succeed but it will definitely divert attention from the Portuguese.

What about Scotland, will it become Protestant?
Ireland?
As I am aiming for a weaker Protestant reformation for this TL, the entire British Isles (Scotland and Ireland as you've mentioned) will remain Catholic but will unite peacefully under English rule. The Reformation would be more of a regional European phenomenon, with Lutheranism being a regional faith in Germany and Scandinavia while Calvinism will retain its place in Switzerland, the Low Countries and small pockets in Central Europe, notably Hungary.

The Ottoman incursions in Valencia and Granada will be defeated by the Aragonese and Castilians respectively as I go over the next chapter. Valencia is occupied by a Mudéjar revolt that ravaged the city with Kemal Reis's Ottoman army as mentioned in the chapter, and Aragon will crush the revolt soon before moving into Sicily and North Africa, while Kemal's army is still in Granada, which they will be defeated after the said army inflicts a pyrrhic victory against the Castilians.

The Portuguese goal in the Granadan War is to increase its influence in Morocco by incorporating all of the coastal parts from Mazagão up to Melilla, not conquer all of it outright, as it would obviously cause logistical problems and dealing with rebellions in the interior. TTL's Alcácer Quibir is the tipping point for the Wattasids and they are at this point likely to pursue a peace deal with the Portuguese, thereby knocking Morocco out of the war. The Portuguese, still has the crusader mentality in their minds after the Reconquista and to try to stop it wouldn't be the goal for Portugal in my opinion, which I do share the same with Lusitania's. In addition, the Portuguese needed a stable supply of grain and to provide a breadbasket rather than importing grain from neighboring Castile or France, and Morocco is Portugal's best bet for expanding its domestic grain supply.

The newly gained land in Morocco would be strongly controlled by the crown and not split up into noble domains, and would need to be integrated with settlers from Metropolitan Portugal and offer incentives for both local Arabs and Berbers to convert, intermarry and assimilate, before moving into the interior in the 17th century. However, before moving into the interior, the Portuguese would have to deal with the fanatical Saadi principality down to the south. Cooperating with the neighboring states such as Fez to deal with the Saadi threat would come a long way to improving Portuguese reputation in Morocco. The success of the Portuguese assimilation model in Morocco would encourage Castile and Aragon to do the same when it comes to their North African holdings after the war.

And as for Canada, the Cabot expedition is still funded by the English as OTL, while Columbus is sponsored by the French and will go down Cabot's route but go down south into around the Carolinas and Florida. The Portuguese will eventually follow up to establish their settler colony in Canada with Gaspar Corte-Real in Newfoundland and João Álvares Fagundes in the Canadian Maritimes, but I will cover all the explorations, both Portuguese and non-Portuguese in a later chapter.

Last edited:
I think that Mudejar revolt will force both Aragon and Castille to expell them, because now they will clearly see them as Fifth Column.

Do you think that Aragon has the numbers to take significant part of N. Africa? Especially because they could have other needs at the same time (France, Italy)...

About Portuguese Morocco, I seriously doubt that they will be able to assimilate much, maybe if they limit their area to more-less OTL Spanish Morocco, but even then, they will have muslim Morocco lying over the border, as a counter-incentive for assimilation.
Maybe settling the area from Portugal and expulsion of locals is more likely?

I think that Mudejar revolt will force both Aragon and Castille to expell them, because now they will clearly see them as Fifth Column.
Although Aragon will definitely crush the Mudéjar revolt in Valencia, considering that Juana of Castile and Enrique of Aragon are more pragmatic and competent than OTL's Isabella and Ferdinand when it comes to the Jews and the existing Muslim minorities in their respective kingdoms, I do rule out on expelling Valencia's Mudéjar population from Aragon. Rather, it's more likely that Enrique would order the expulsion of the revolting population from the city and have them resettle in other places far from Valencia to prevent the population from coordinating another revolt, as well as gradual conversions over time.

Do you think that Aragon has the numbers to take significant part of N. Africa? Especially because they could have other needs at the same time (France, Italy)...
Aragon has to deal with the French in Naples as it seems that I have overlooked on the Second and Third Italian Wars of 1499-1504. The Aragonese will definitely participate in the later stages of the war once they got things in Naples settled, which will explained in the next chapter. Once the Moroccans are dealt with for Portugal and Granada is occupied by Castile, both armies will move east along the North African coast, marching into Oran and Algiers.

About Portuguese Morocco, I seriously doubt that they will be able to assimilate much, maybe if they limit their area to more-less OTL Spanish Morocco, but even then, they will have muslim Morocco lying over the border, as a counter-incentive for assimilation.
Maybe settling the area from Portugal and expulsion of locals is more likely?
I personally disagree as expelling the local population would upset the small neighboring states in Morocco and replacing them with Portuguese settlers would alienate the local population against the Portuguese. The Portuguese policy towards the Arabs and Berbers would be to have them co-exist with the new settlers and at the same time, gradually convert and assimilate the population through enculturation and developing both rural and urban areas of Morocco to ensure that they are accommodated to both Portuguese and non-Portuguese as part of the goal of Portugal's "civilizing mission."

@Lusitania

Last edited:
IIRC, the Portuguese didn't convert significant Mislim population out of Portugal itself.
About Juana and Henrique, while I would'nt exactly say that Isabel and Ferdinand were incompetent, they will have just too much pressure to expell Mudejar population, or at least force them to convert, especially with this attack on Valencia where they joined the invaders.
About conquering N. Africa, both Portugal and Spain in OTL, did have more important things to do, so they have taken only a few coastal enclaves. Here both Aragon and Castille are weaker, poorer, at least for now, with Aragon having big pressure from France in Italy... Maybe retaking Malta and Sicilian cities should have a priority?
Also, a question- would Aragon/Henrique, be willing to make too much war against France, because of cadet branch ruling in Naples/Sicily?

In Portugal after some land was conquered the Portuguese king, or his representative give a few days to the locals decide if they want to stay or to leave, but they tried to keep the artisans and traders.

Most usually decided to leave to the nearest land not yet conquered by the Portuguese, those that stayed formed the Portuguese Mudejar.

The Mudejar wore protected by kings with several agreements, these free moors had some limitations on where to live and to use, things usually go well when the king was strong, not so well for the mudejar when the king was weak, similar situation as the Jews.

Most of them wore farmers, unlike the slave moors that wore employed in all type works; mining, production of goods, domestic services….

So, in the new lands of the Kingdom of Algarve Beyond the Sea the Portuguese would try to do the same, but those that can will move to lands outside Portuguese control.

In those lands the Portuguese will find cereals, salt, sugar, dates, dried fruits, dried fish, leather, honey, wax, dyes, copper, cattle, and horses.

Trade with the locals Moors of Peace will get even more of these goods but also gold and slaves in exchange for silver and cloth. This trade most likely will be led by the Jews who also serve as interpreters between the two groups.

In OTL the Peace Moors wore divided in two groups the Berbers and the Arabs, in the Berbers five groups wore important allies of the Portuguese: the Senhaja, the Maçmuda, the Zenata, the Howara and the Rumara.

Some of these in OTL did convert sheik Ben Tafuft, sheok Saíde and Iáhia Ben Bulisbé.

These men not only traded with the Portuguese but also fight alongside them, one tribe that did that was the Berbers Kesima Tribe in Sothern Morocco.

In TTL here maybe the Portuguese with larger number of solders I would expect that most of the people of the lands taken by the Portuguese will move out, leaving many lands abandoned.

In TTL Portugal there wore many people looking for new lands, mainly in Galiza, Northern Portugal and Extremadura in Leon (this region was the birthplace of many of OTL Conquistadores), they can be uses not only to settle the area bit also to build a line of fortifications on the border just like was done in Iberia during the Reconquista.

The locals soon will be outnumbered by the Portuguese, and if they rebel most groups would be defeated and reduced to slavery status in short order.

Those more organized and in regions with better natural defenses probably can hold out for several years, but the frequent raids and the some several droughts like those of OTL 1520-1521 will lead in the end to failure of their freedom fight.

And if the Portuguese manage to persuade one of the Berber leaders to form his own kingdom, that will cause even more problems to the Arab tribes of Morocco.

What happened with La Beltreaneja? Did sve marry some Castillian member of high nobility? Any issue?

Same thing for Isabel, did she marry for King of Naples?