Scruffs: the life and times of Apple Records

I hope Badfinger gets a better fate than OTL (at least have Pete Ham and Tom Evans live); they deserve a better fate...

Their story is probably the most tragic story in rock and roll...

...oh boy, a big change just nonchalantly tossed our way in the list of Apple singles.
May is in Smile. Taylor is in The Queen. You need to tell us more.
Smile was actually the band Brian May and Roger Taylor were in before they formed Queen with Freddie Mercury.
The Queen, by sheer coincidence, was an early name of the Hollywood Brats, a glam punk band from the early 70s. Funnily enough, they had a bit of conflict with Mercury's Queen. There's actually a scene in "Sick on You", the autobiography of the Brats frontman, who hints that a certain effeminate rocker with big teeth pushed a finger at his chest and demanded he change the name, resulting in (who we assume is) Mercury being knocked flat on his back by a fist. Fun times.

I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
1968/1969
Tom1.jpg

In between the releases of the band's ninth and tenth albums, respectively, a rather worrying schism was developing in one band member's personal life.

John-Lennon-and-Julian-Lennon.jpg

above: John and Julian, 1968

Their marriage had always been rocky, sure, maybe even broken at times, but divorce was something that didn't come to the mind of Cynthia or John up until the latter found himself in a possible tug of war between two American women in the arts scene. For years, Cynthia had grown suspicious of her husband's penchant for sleeping around, and the vacancy caused by his absence of interests quickly turned to resentment. When her lawyers presented him with severance papers, Lennon didn't even know to care, seeing as he was still mentally negotiating if it was worth cutting ties with Yoko Ono and going after Elaine Brown. John Winston Lennon and Cynthia Lillian Powell were officially divorced on November 8th, 1968. Ever the showman, a gallows humour Lennon told a gathering crowd of press outside the courtroom that the split was caused by “incorrigible musical differences”.

Out of good faith, McCartney found himself driving out to Weybridge to check in with Cynthia and Julian. It was during this long car ride, of which he usually spent singing out lyrics to see what stuck, he conceived the mainstay hit of the late sixties.

Paul McCartney: "I thought, as a friend of the family, I would motor out there and tell them that everything was all right: to try and cheer them up, basically, and see how they were. I had about an hour's drive. I would always turn the radio off and try and make up songs, just in case... I started singing: 'Hey Jules – don't make it bad, take a sad song, and make it better...' It was optimistic, a hopeful message for Julian: 'Come on, man, your parents got divorced. I know you're not happy, but you'll be OK.' I knew it was not going to be easy for him. I always feel sorry for kids in divorces..."

McCartney began fleshing out his new single upon his return to Abbey Road, changing 'Jules' to 'Jude', spending two days filling out the finer bits as he showed it off to visiting artists, which included The Barron Knights and Badfinger, of whom he was helping produce their next album.

hqdefault.jpg

above: McCartney plays piano and records vocals, 1969
Unintentionally, McCartney had been sharing the song with everyone but his actual bandmates. When he finally played his newest rendition to Lennon, Harrison and Starr during rehearsal, the result was not the expected one. Halfway through, Lennon shot up and stormed out, slamming the studio door behind him, leaving the three a bit bewildered.
John Lennon: "He said it was written about Julian. He knew I was splitting with Cyn and leaving Julian. He was driving over to say hi to Julian. He'd been like an uncle to him. You know, Paul was always good with kids. And so he came up with Hey Jude. But I always heard it as a song to me. He's saying, 'Hey, Jude – hey, John.' I know I'm sounding like one of those fans who reads things into it, but you can hear it as a song to me. The words 'go out and get her' – subconsciously he was saying, Go ahead, leave me. On a conscious level, he didn't want me to go ahead."

While Lennon fumed, opting not to return to the studio for a long while until he resolved his personal conflicts, tensions continued to rise. During the rehearsals that followed the earlier departure. Harrison and McCartney had a handful of verbal disagreements over the lead guitar part for the song. Harrison's idea was to play a guitar phrase as a response to each line of the vocal, which wasn't at all what McCartney had in mind. This simple argument over song structure quickly evolved into Harrison was allowed little room to develop ideas on Lennon/McCartney compositions, then on how Harrison had been kept down by the other two when it came to album features, having to fight hard to get more than his standard two tracks. Harrison turned out to be the second member to storm out of sessions that week, letting lose a particularly bitter accusation before packing up and heading out; "Since when are you going to tell me what to play? I'm in The Beatles too, Paulie. You're oblivious to anyone else's feelings in the studio. You're not in charge here. We already got a new manager, and he isn't you."

With things already on a knife's edge in the studio, it wasn't long until Starr followed his former bandmates in order to get away from the increasingly domineering McCartney.

Ken Scott (studio engineer): "I remember Ringo being uptight about something, I don't remember what, and the next thing I was told was that he'd quit the band. But work continued."

Ringo Starr: "I left because I felt two things: I felt I wasn't playing great, and I also felt that the other three were miserable. I went to see John, who had been living in my apartment in Montagu Square with Yoko since he moved out of Kenwood. I said, 'I'm leaving the group because I'm not playing well and I feel unloved and out of it.' And John said, 'I thought it was just me!'"

Thusly, "Hey Jude" could be considered the first almost entirely McCartney single, discounting the splicing of earlier instrumental takes.

yaeI8nR.jpg

above: cover art used for the American release of “Hey Jude/Revolution” single

"Hey Jude" came prepackaged with "Revolution", Lennon's opener to their 1968 album of the same name, as the B-Side. Lennon would later claim that this offended him greatly, viewing the ordering as the relegation of his politically-charged composition to a second act. But at the time, he was rather preoccupied, deciding to make enough of a move on the two possible new interests, seeing as how he was a freed man. However, that would turn out to not be so simple.

above: Yoko Ono, 1969

Ono, despite admitting that the affection was mutual, was preoccupied with the legal battle concerning her daughter Kyoko, as well as an extended sabbatical to New York City. She had no time for fighting for custody of her child, a busy art career and a divorced musician all at once. When Ono left London for New York, she also left Lennon's life, for the time being.

a4f896594cfc9d476d98a87bbf30cd56.jpg

above: Elaine Brown, pictured with Huey Newton, 1970

Brown, in Lennon's absence, had met a fellow Californian called Jay Richard Kennedy, who worked as a fiction writer and an 'amatuer psychatrist'. During that time, she had been introduced to the radical ideas that would later drive her to join the Black Panther Party in a years time. Not to mention, now that she was painfully aware of things like gender and race dichotomy, she denounced Lennon as a poster child for 'rich white entitlement', nevermind the fact that she was already in a relationship to begin with. She too turned him down and returned to America. Both rejections, coupled with the pressures of the divorce and the demands of the record label left Lennon shattered.

7df1ace0d72454ff8b93366566b110c5.jpg

above: Lennon in the studio, 1968

Lennon:I liked Yoko, I maybe even loved her. But I was liking Elaine a whole lot, too. It was something about those New York women. It was all too much for me to take, with my marriage going to tatters and the label wanting me to balance things on my nose to try and drum up more attention. I just crashed.

A week after the release of "Junk", Lennon was found unconscious by his cleaning lady, alone in the London apartment he had been renting from Ringo, slumped on the floor, having overdosed on Heroin. He was later successfully revived by doctors at London Bridge Hospital, but for almost a solid half hour, the world almost lost the first-mentioned Beatle for good. After his recovery, Lennon would often credit the experience as the inspiration for his own single, "Cold Turkey".

Last edited:
Smile like you mean it
iTF8rpx.jpg

It's no secret that Apple happened to have a particularly fantastic crop of talent as the new millenium broke. It was also no secret that there'd been a substantial amount of stumblings concerning said talent. Moby Grape, thought to be the next big acid rock group, fell apart when Skip Spence suffered a mental breakdown and attacked two hotel workers with an axe before being stopped from jumping off a fire escape. The fact that the debut boisterous MC5 album opened with lead vocalist shouting out "It's time to Kick of the Jams, motherfuckers!" brought more ire from conservative parents than it did adoration from anti-establishment kids. Last minute skittering had resulted in no Apple acts, the Beatles especially, accepting contracts to perform at the Woodstock concert, a massive oversight on the part of Press Officer Derek Taylor. And Syd Barrett, the former Pink Floyd frontman who'd been offered an apple contract at the behest of a somewhat guilty King, had failed to deliver on his promises of a new album, instead retreating further into his own damaged psyche. With their poster children The Beatles at each other's throats or in hospital, the label really needed a hail mary pass, one which they found they could easily manufacture themselves...

ccb331fd7b82b3a5b4e99c4d9de64cb2.png

above: the first line-up of Smile, circa 1969 (L-R: Roger Taylor, Brian May, Tim Staffell, Chris Smith)
Formed at London's Imperial College, the first lineup of Smile had found marginal success upon their signing to Apple, with their singles doing mildly well in sales and their live shows drawing significant crowds. They first caught the attention of label scouts when they had claimed to had performed on BBC Radio 1, which they never actually did, but used as leverage to elbow into larger venues. On the back of this questionable success they put out a debut LP, which just managed to pierce the top 100.​

C0Rp9vC.png

Smile – Gettin' Smile
released April, 1969

SIDE 1
1. Doing Alright (May/Staffel)
2. Blag (Taylor)
3. April Lady (Lucas)
4. Earth (Staffell)
5. Step on Me (May/Staffell)

SIDE 2
1. Hold on I'm Wrong (May)
2. Knock on Wood (Floyd/Cropper)
3. How Can It Be (Wood)
4. Our Love Is Driftin' (May/Staffell)
5. Remember (Staffell)

In spite of this marginal success, the working relationships within the band wasn't as guaranteed. May and Taylor, who knew each other well enough before falling in with Staffell, but the latter was butting against the two former for more authority in band decisions, and all of them seemed united against Smith, quickly losing all patience for the keyboardist. Eventually, Staffell left to form Humpy Bong with former Bee Gees drummer Colin Petersen and Irish folk rock singer Jonathan Kelly. Smile was for all intensive purposes left in stasis as label affiliates figured out what to do next.

80be2d51f91eb2b62cc11b5cbf6b7711.png

above: Wreckage, circa 1969 (L-R: Freddie Bulsara, Mike Bersin, John 'Tupp' Taylor, Mick 'Miffer' Smith)
On the other end of the spectrum was Wreckage, a fledgling rock outfit formed in Liverpool, recruited as part of a 'homeland' scouting by Apple as it expanded its range in England. The bulk of Wreckage's material came from their lead vocalist and self-deprecating rhythm guitarist Farrokh "Freddie" Bulsara. The group put out it's first and only single, 'Green/One Inch Rock', in late 1969, before they essentially dissolved due to mutual disinterest. While the loss of Wreckage wasn't a particularly noticeable blow to the label, McCartney, who had sat in on a session or two as he waited for his band to come back together, saw the potential that lay in Bulsara, both as a songwriter and a multi-range singer, and took him aside to offer him his own contract. Bulsara, while flattered that a Beatle saw he had a modicum of talent, was not yet as competent of a songwriter as he would become in the later 70's. If given the option, he would like to be in a group. Bulsara was briefly considered for new signees Tomato City (soon renamed Wonderwall Music), to which his vocals could've offered a much needed jolt, but his already-established friendship with May and Taylor steered him in the direction of the previously defunct Smile.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f53434f47375548624162495877513d3d2d31352e313538386431323133303731616562653735333838343635313337302e6a7067

above: the second line-up of Smile, circa 1970 (L-R: Roger Taylor, Freddie Bulsara, John Deacon, Brian May)

With the removal of Chris Smith and the introduction of John Deacon on bass, the transformation was complete. With their first single "Killer Queen", which Bulsara reportedly wrote about a rather icy secretary at the Apple Building, the newer Smile seemed to be an instant smash hit with listeners as the pop music ideal shifted to something glammier, something noiser, something flashier...

gQM3DFr.png

Smile – II
released September, 1971

SIDE 1
1. Keep Yourself Alive (May)
2. NSU (May)
3. Great King Rat (Bulsara)
4. Jesus (Bulsara)
4. Modern Times Rock 'n' Roll (Taylor)
5. Lover (Bulsara)

SIDE 2
1. Killer Queen (Bulsara)
2. Mad the Swine (Bulsara)
3. Son and Daughter (May)
4. Polar Bear (May)
5. The Night Comes Down (May)

Last edited:
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f53434f47375548624162495877513d3d2d31352e313538386431323133303731616562653735333838343635313337302e6a7067

above: the second line-up of Smile, circa 1970 (L-R: Roger Taylor, Freddie Bulsara, John Deacon, Brian May)

With the removal of Chris Smith and the introduction of John Deacon on bass, the transformation was complete. With their first single "Killer Queen", which Bulsara reportedly wrote about a rather icy secretary at the Apple Building, the newer Smile seemed to be an instant smash hit with listeners as the pop music ideal shifted to something glammier, something noiser, something flashier...

gQM3DFr.png

Smile – II

released September, 1971

SIDE 1
1. Keep Yourself Alive (May)
2. NSU (May)
3. Great King Rat (Bulsara)
4. Jesus (Bulsara)
4. Modern Times Rock 'n' Roll (Taylor)
5. Lover (Bulsara)

SIDE 2
1. Killer Queen (Bulsara)
2. Mad the Swine (Bulsara)
3. Son and Daughter (May)
4. Polar Bear (May)
5. The Night Comes Down (May)

So the Taylor in The Queen isn't Roger?

Take a Sad Song
690409_18.jpg

Time had gone by. "Junk" was the first Beatles album of '69, and had garnered more than enough favourable reviews for such a 'rough diamond', as reviewers called it. Apple was floating well enough, too, with a new office building being opened in New York, referred to as the 'Big Apple building'. The Fabs, however, had not all been in the same room since the closing days of '68. It was high time that changed.

john-lennon.jpg

above: Lennon, 1969
After a nasty Heroin scare and skirting rehab using his excuse of being far too famous, John Lennon could usually be found holed up in his London flat. Almost dying hadn't swayed him from cutting out all his vices, just the hard stuff. He was still partial to a bit of the drink and a puff of a spliff if the mood took him. Lennon busied himself with some home recording equipment, indulging his experimental side by putting together absurdist audio collages. While most of these personal recordings never saw the light of day, a select few were released in the late 90's, one of which features Lennon uttering the words "Number nine" over a montage of stock sound effects. All this time wasn't spent noodling about on spooky collages, tho. It was during this period of long isolation that Lennon ended up composing the bulk of his 70s songs, as well as fleshing out 'Cold Turkey', a rocky voyage through the bad parts of harder drugs.

664ce2da824926ff50168592783d0b8f.jpg

above: Linda, Paul and baby Mary McCarthy (w/ sheepdog Martha), 1969
Paul McCartney had kept himself very busy, on the other hand. When he wasn't schmoozing it in the Apple offices, doing promotion for the label, or swathing his way around lavish parties the Beautiful People held, he was at home with his newly wedded bride Linda Eastman, new baby Mary and their farm animals up north in Kintyre, Scotland. He, too, messed around in his home studio, bulking up on original compositions. While he was comparatively more happy and stable than his songwriting partner, McCartney was all to aware of the sense of unease creeping up on him. He wasn't up on the farm to enjoy a pastoral break, he was biding his time before he had to inevitably talk things out with the rest of the band.

1a0ed02c4a17c0bc6aef7324f13c27d9.jpg

above: Harrison, 1969
George Harrison never really left the studio. For too long, he'd been under the thumb of the notorious McLennon brothers, the quiet one had taken the void in recording sessions as an excuse to work on his own solo material, of which he now had in bountiful surplus. There were mutterings between engineers and studio technicians who happened to bare witness to Harrison at work that there could be a solo album in the works. All this chatter eventually wound it's way up to Neil Aspinall, who notified label chief executive Peter Brown. A band meeting was called the next day.

1496675449-qhtdy1ake9uuwv6rneye.jpg

above: Starr, 1969
When he got the call to come in and sit down with the other three, Starr, for the first time in a long time, was apprehensive. After he grew fed up with McCartney's micromanaging, he took a much-needed trip to Sardinia, on a yacht owned by comedian Peter Sellers. This is how he ended up cast in "The Magic Christian", a bawdy adaptation of the graphic novel of the same name by Terry Southern. In addition, to the surprise of many, he had written a few songs of his own, half decent ones, too.

While Brown wasn't as pointed and imposing as his predecessor, he still had enough facts on his side, as well as a double-edged sword to offer the four as the assembled in the Apple offices in Westminster. The label had just secured a new royalty agreement both EMI with Capitol Records, one that came primarily at the initial popularity of the label's artists. In return, the group were still contractually bound to produce three more albums, with a moratorium on their film agreement with United Artists ("Yellow Submarine", which released July 1968, would be discounted due to the band's minimal involvement). While Harrison and Lennon were frustrated at this, the latter calling it 'slave labour', Brown assured them that this was the best possible outcome the label could secure. It could be worse, he offered - they could be forced to make a new album AND a film simultaneously. They should just put aside their difficulties, knuckle under and get back in the studio.

In spite of this Lennon threw a spanner in the works by stating that he "didn't want to do this anymore."
When asked to clarify, Lennon shrugged and offered "the band, the label, this. All of it. I wanna quit the band."

There was a beat, then Harrison chimed in "Me too, if I have to keep fighting to get my songs on the fucking album."

All four members, after far too much cajoling, settled on the agreement that for the time being there would be three singles, one for John, one for George, and one for Paul. After that, they'd do another album, on which Harrison would get his due. Outside of going in and out of the studio, the label would hold off any additional faffe that might be thrown their way, such as interviews or promotional stunts. If they all still didn't feel like they wanted to keep going, if they still didn't have any fun then they'd formally announce a sabbatical and reassemble when the mood takes them. Nobody had to quit. For now.​

txN4USr.jpg

above: cover art for the "Cold Turkey/Maxwell's Silver Hammer" single
The first single to come out of the rather depressing meeting was Lennon's baby, an equally doomy rocker that showed of his wailing vocals. Harrison and Starr were quick to take to it, as it allowed both Harrison to shred on guitar and Starr to "go mental" on his backing beat. McCartney was apprehensive, being all to mindful with how a song about drug withdrawal could be treated by the conservative radio censors. To this Lennon snidely suggested they pretend it was about food poisoning. McCartney's response came in the form of 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer', a rather childish jingle about a serial killer, added in attempt to keep with the grim tone of the A-side but offer a more palatable substitute.

lzsobTr.jpg

above: cover art for the "You/This Is Some Friendly" single

Out of the seemingly bottomless well of originals Harrison had demoed during his alone time in Abbey Road, perhaps the most catchy was 'You', a track inspired by Doris Troy, whom Harrison was personally introduced to when working with fellow Apple act Billy Preston (who he actually knew since his days as a member of Little Richard's backing band). It was the perfect antidote to 'Cold Turkey', unlike the rather trite 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer', being soulful, happy and quite simple. It was backed by the country-inspired melody 'This Is Some Friendly', one of the first to be credited to Starr in the band's entire discography.

Soon we'll be away from here
1969/1970
The+Beatles%E2%80%99+Abbey+Road+Photo+Shoot+Outtakes+(3).jpg

The sessions that lead to the last Beatle album of the decade was decidedly mixed. Producer George Martin, having been present for the arduous prior meeting in which Lennon and Harrison threatened to quit, convinced the group that they used to, just sitting in a studio and riffing off each other, no silly overdubs or grand production. McCartney was quick to support this idea, freely admitting that his blunt attitude was a catalyst for the Hey Jude sessions breakdown. Starr agreed, eager to see if some sense of normality could be restored. Harrison, while cautious that things could be so simply reset after verging on catharsis, was more concerned with seeing if his side of the deal would be kept and his songs featured. Lennon was ultimately apathetic to the whole thing, still intent on leaving the band when recording was finished.

George Martin: "Nobody knew for sure if it was going to be the last album – but everybody felt it was. The Beatles had gone through so much and for such a long time. They'd been incarcerated with each other for nearly a decade, and I was surprised that they had lasted as long as they did. I wasn't at all surprised that they'd be splitting up because they all wanted to lead their own lives – and I did, too. It was a release for me as well."

For the most part, the sessions that yielded the first singles where oddly chummy. In between takes for "You", the four where their familiar banterous selves, trading well-meaning barbs. This positive studio air also helped yield some of the last actual collaborative songs, as Lennon/McCartney had been rather symbolic for the last few years. It wasn't long before the barbs turned sour, however, when Lennon mocked the overtly sweet nature of 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' as "music for the grannies to dig". In response, rather acrimonious, quipped that Lennon was verging off on a "stupid revolutionary kick that you use to shout in public". This was a bit contradictory, considering that McCartney was on a similar belief spectrum to his bandmate, not far off from his eventual conversion to veganism, and the two had gleefully produced the scandalous 'Her Majesty' (which was eventually banned by BBC radio), but it still stung all the same. Following that, the studio returned to a much more aggressive state as they'd left it in 1968.

George Harrison: "For me, to come back into the winter of discontent with The Beatles was very unhealthy and unhappy. But I can remember feeling quite optimistic about it. I thought, 'OK, it's the New Year and we have a new approach to recording.' I think the first couple of days were OK, but it was soon quite apparent that it was just the same as it had been when we were last in the studio, and it was going to be painful again. There was a lot of trivia and games being played."

By the time the sessions had concluded, the four had started recording their compositions in different studios, when it could be helped using the technicians as intermitiantries to overdub what they said would be required. Any time they were in the same room together tended to lead to some sort of argument. A particularly strenuous point came when Harrison, who had been looking for feedback on his track 'Something', received rather joking answers in response; struggling to find a link (which eventually became 'attracts me like no other lover'), McCartney offered "attracts me like a cauliflower", with Lennon interjecting "attracts me like a pomegranate". This irked Harrison, who'd been offered less and less input on Lennon/McCartney tracks as he grew as a songwriter in his own right, came to blows with both when he was ordered to keep in time, spitting "It seems like I gotta play what you want me to play or not play at all."
vl0PjaL.jpg

The Beatles - Inclinations
released August, 1969

SIDE A
1. Because (Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starr) - 2:24
2. Get Off (Lennon-McCartney) - 2:41
3. Here Comes The Sun (Harrison) -3:06
4. Octopus' Garden (Starr) - 2:48
5. Her Majesty (Lennon-McCartney) – 2:19
6. Something (Harrison) - 3:03
7. Instant Karma (Lennon) -3:27

SIDE B
1. Give Peace a Chance (Lennon) - 2:20
2. Apple Scruffs (Harrison) - 3:01
3. Everybody's Got A Feeling (Lennon-McCartney) - 3:31
4. Taking a Trip to Carolina (Starr) - 2:22
5. Don’t Let Me Down (Lennon) - 3:39
6. On A Sunny Island (McCartney) - 2:51
7. I Want You (Lennon) - 4:33
8. Goodbye (McCartney) - 2:25

The end result, "Inclinations", was interpreted by fans to be the Beatles' swan song. The sabbatical as announced on the back of the album's release, resulting in the Apple offices being flooded with calls from both distraught fans and concerned investors alike. Their concerns where somewhat reassured when Apple announced a slew of Solo Beatles released shortly thereafter. In order for the four to grow as artists and return to the slog renewed, the press release claimed, they should be entitled to play on their own for a while. The reaction to this, like the album's mood, was mixed too. But the former Fab Four couldn't really care. They were already off to the races.​

IvPjuxz.jpg

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Released September, 1969

SIDE 1
1. I Me Mine
2. What Is Life?
3. Beautiful Girl
4. Awaiting On You All
5. I Dig Love
6. Everybody Nobody
7. If Not For You
8. Beware of Darkness

SIDE 2
1. All Things Must Pass
2. Cosmic Empire
3. Going Down to Golders Green
4. Deep Blue
5. Behind That Locked Door
6. Isn't It a Pity
7. Nowhere to Go

Seeing as how he'd already been tinkering in the studio long before the ultimatum was given, Harrison was first out the gate with his debut, "All Things Must Pass". Finally free to speak on his own, the album's themes were almost entirely about feelings of loss, change and consequence, when it wasn't Harrison radiating as the brightest star in a galaxy of romantic writers. Based around his solo studio noodling, Harrison enlisted bits and pieces from the Apple back catalogue as backing musicians (Carl Radle, Jim Gordon, Bobby Whitlock, Nick Drake and Alan White), as well as guest features from friends Klaus Voormann and Eric Clapton. Martin was drafted to produce and polish the tracks mostly out of proximity, seeing as how he had already overheard and interjected for the majority of the LP's contents.

Harrison: "That was the great thing about [the Beatles] splitting up: to be able to go off and make my own record ... And also to be able to record with all these new people, which was like a breath of fresh air."

iOJwGH4.jpg

Ringo Starr - Sentimental Journey
released October, 1969

SIDE 1
1. Sentimental Journey
2. Night and Day
3. Whispering Grass (Don't Tell the Trees)
4. Bye Bye Blackbird
5. I'm a Fool to Care
6. Nobody's Child

SIDE 2
1. Boys
2. Love Is a Many Splendoured Thing
3. Dream
4. You Always Hurt the One You Love
5. Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?
6. Let the Rest of the World Go By

Starr on the other hand had a much more wholesome reason for compiling his debut, "Sentimental Journey". Seeing as how the drummer didn't have enough original compositions to fill even half an EP, still having only three original songs to his name, two of which were already put out under the Beatles. So instead of sitting down and forcing the songs out, he indulged the more invocative standards from his past, ones easily fitting of his limited tenor range. It was released on the 19th of October, his mother's birthday.

Ringo Starr: "I wondered, what shall I do with my life now that it's over? I was brought up with all those songs, you know, my family used to sing those songs, my mother and my dad, my aunties and uncles. They were my first musical influences on me. So I went to see George Martin and said: 'Let's do an album of standards.""

r5l7Vxc.jpg

Paul McCartney - McCartney
released March, 1970

SIDE 1
1. Teddy Boy
2. Oh, Darling!
3. Why So Blue?
4.Because I Know You Love Me So
5. Maybe I'm Amazed

SIDE 2
1. Two of Us
2. I Left My Home
3. Women Kind
4. Every Night
5. The Long and Winding Road
In spite of his foibles, McCartney had hoped that the Inclinations sessions could get the band to stick together. When that turned out to be the complete opposite, he was shattered. The emotional rawness of this was captured on his eventual eponymous debut, self produced in his cotswolds home and then a few trips to the new Apple Studio on Saville Row to polish them up. "McCartney" was stripped back beyond the point of intentional minimalism, being little more than McCartney alone with a guitar and a tom-tom, splicing together different takes and double-tracking vocals.

Paul McCartney: "I was like a professor in his laboratory. Very simple, as basic as you can get ... Even now that album has an interesting sound. Very analogue, very direct."

mwKXQsD.jpg

John Lennon - Isolation
released December, 1970

SIDE 1
1. Mother
3. I Found Out
4. Julia
5. Well Well Well
6. Isolation

SIDE 2
1. Remember Love
2. When A Boy Meets A Girl
3. Look at Me
4. Hold On
5. The Dream Is Over

Lennon still spent a lot of time on his own, rarely going out and preferring the company of his record collection, his drinks and whatever cleaning lady happened to be working that week. This long period of noticeable withdrawal from public life lead to the oft confusing ‘John is Dead’ theory, maintaining Lennon having actually died during his overdose in '68 and being replaced by a double called Stephen MacKenna. The time spent alone, however, gave Lennon much more time to explore his own psyche, coming to terms with the deep-seated issues such as his infidelity, his problems with authority and, more prominently, the death of his Mother. The result was Lennon at his most emotional.

John Lennon: "This time it was my album. It used to get a bit embarrassing in front of George and Paul 'cause we know each other so well: 'Oh, he's trying to be Elvis, oh he's doing this now,' you know. We're a bit supercritical of each other. So we inhibited each other a lot. And now I was alone in my home. And I relaxed. I've got a studio at home now and I think it'll be better next time 'cause that's even less inhibiting than going to EMI. It's like that."

Last edited:
Other major album releases on Apple Records, 1969/1970

nBn0eLo.jpg

Moby Grape - Omaha
released January, 1969

SIDE 1
1. The Place and the Time
2. Murder in My Heart for the Judge
3. Bitter Wind
4. Can't Be So Bad
5. Motorcycle Irene
6. Three-Four
7. Seeing

SIDE 2
1. Funky-Tunk
2. He
3. Rose-Coloured Eyes
4. Millers Blues
5. Naked, If I Want To
6. Stop

0OSg2tE.jpg

Jackie Lomax & the Heavy Jelly - Is This What You Want?
released March, 1969

SIDE 1
1. You Better Let Me Know
2. Is This What You Want?
3. Born For Something
4. Too Complicated
5. Just Don’t Feel So Good

SIDE 2
1. F-F-F-Females
2. Bio-Blues
3. If You’d Like Too
4. Little Yellow Pills
5. Take Me Down To The Water

Ekhtx7E.jpg

MC5 - Kick Out The Jams!
released March, 1969

SIDE 1
1. Ramblin' Rose
2. Kick Out the Jams
3. Come Together
4. Rocket Reducer No. 62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa)
5. Tonight

SIDE 2
1. Borderline
2. Motor City Is Burning
3. I Want You Right Now
4. Starship
5. Shakin' Street

Vy15zAx.jpg

The Spiders - Pretties for You
released June, 1969

SIDE 1
1. Titanic Overture