Save Weimar Germany as the SPD in "Social Democracy: An Alternate History", by Autumn Chen

The day after its release, I discovered on Itch.io the video game Social Democracy: An Alternate History by Autumn Chen, a creator whose games I've already played and enjoyed.

In this game, you start in 1928 in Weimar Germany as the SPD and you have to run in legislative and presidential elections, having to use limited resources, manage relationships with the main democratic parties and the KPD, how to campaign, who to campaign to and how to manage the several wings of the SPP.

While in government, whether in Germany or Prussia (other Laender have not been implemented), you have to manage your relationships with the rest of the coalition, being able to occupy several ministers such as welfare, labour and justice, having to deal with the entrenched opposition to the republic such as police officers helping far-right paramilitaries or judges acquitting them.

Sound difficult, right? Well, 1929 is just around the corner and the NSDAP will grow.

Several endings are available such as Hitler taking over like OTL, a civil war in Germany or Weimar actually surviving. For exemple, in my last game, I managed to have Braun elected Reichspräsident (with Brunning as chancellor), Hitler deported back to Austria (with Goering running instead) and a public work program reducing unemployment; usually, I end with either Hitler taking over, a civil war or Weimar barely surviving.

Since its initial release, the game has gained more and more features: for exemple, agriculture is now a cabinet department, the Altona riots and the All Quiet on the Western Front release have been added and the value of the available budget is now printed in the UI.

An unofficial Reddit is available here.

Pf7aIy.png

I've had some really good runs in this game.

And some really bad ones.

Like one game where I thought I was managing things well, only to lose the 1932 Presidential Election to Hitler.

...actually, that was more than one. It happens more often than I'd like to admit.

Game is still really fun, though. And very addicting.