Votes: 40 8.9%
  • Khazars

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • Guanche

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Other (Write it down)

Votes: 24 5.4%

• Total voters
If I can stretch ethnicity to include religion - keep Egypt polytheistic forever. Islam can still come into existence but we get a 3 way crossing in the Middle East between Christianity, Islam, and all of Ra's family. This could lead to some real interesting literature and ideas around the Renaissance.
If you don’t mind, is it alright I can use this idea for my next poll thread?

I wonder if Neanderthals were still alive, would they be known as mighty warriors in the Middle Ages?
Some fame as the Swiss mercenaries.

After all, Neanderthals seem like they would be more muscular, stronger and tougher than the average human (but probably less smart), surely they would be strong warriors.
OTOH less stanima would make them not that useful as soldiers. Swinging weapons was only very little part of soldier's life. Digging fortifications, building camps and carrying supplies on their backs during long marches, that was soldier's daily life.

Tasmanians, extinct and genocided Tasmanian aboriginals. Avoid the genocide.

Ragusian/Dalmatian vulgar Latin speaking descendents of Illyro Romans. The last native speaker died in 1898. For Centuries the tiny Ragusian Republic had been a trading power in the Mediterranean.

There were a lot of Goths at my high school, don't think they're anywhere near extinct ;)

JK, but seriously, it would be cool to have a surviving East Germanic culture. Also, I wonder how they would have influenced WWII, would Hitler have tried to draft them as "fellow Germanics" to fight against the Slavs in the USSR, or would he have viewed them as too Slavicized?
A pod that far back would butterfly the Nazis. But I think we could see a East Germanic culture survive maybe they could find a refuge in the Caucasus mountains. Like the Ossetians

Tasmanians, extinct and genocided Tasmanian aboriginals. Avoid the genocide.

Tasmanians are interesting case, being the most isolated human population on Earth. 10 000 years of solitude. And Tasmania was the last place on Earth, where Middle Paleolithic lasted until historical times.

Ragusian/Dalmatian vulgar Latin speaking descendents of Illyro Romans. The last native speaker died in 1898. For Centuries the tiny Ragusian Republic had been a trading power in the Mediterranean.
They're in my planned timeline too, with a justification for wider use of their dialect that also lets me give Captain James Cook the middle name of 'Tiberius'.
("This is the voyage of the sailing ship Endeavour, its five-year mission to go where no European has gone before...")

I was curious about that pre-colonial borders Can you show me, by the way?
The other thing I would like to survive are the (Crypto)Muslims in Luzon, stopping the Spanish colonization might be their only way to survive.

I think Andalusians/Mozarabics are the other people I want to survive.

Last edited:
In the long history, there were many ethnicities all over the world, that had their own unique way of life, culture, and history. However, some of these ethnicities sadly died out. Due to warfare, disease, or assimilation into another culture.

But this doesn't mean that they're gone. They still live on through their descendants that has their genetics in their DNA or through the artifacts and culture they left.

But if you were able to choose one ethnic group, to survive to this way, with some of their people, being full genetically from the past, and their culture somewhat preserved, who would it be?

Here are some of the options through a specific POD, which one?
  1. Taino - Arawak ethnic group once living across the Caribbean, from Cuba, Hispaniola, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Jamaica. Although extinct as an ethnicity, lives on through their descendants in Cuba, Hispaniola, and Puerto Rico.
  2. Lucayans - A branch of Taino, living in the Bahamas. Went extinct due to Spanish Colonization
  3. Picts - A group of peoples who lived in what is now northern and eastern Scotland.
  4. Neutral Nation - An Iroquoian-speaking people who lived in what is now southwestern and south-central Ontario in Canada, but went extinct due to disease, and warfare from the Iroquois Confederacy in the 17th Century.
  5. Beothuk - A Native American tribe living in Newfoundland, before going extinct in the 19th Century
  6. Volga Bulgarians - Bulgar people living in Volga region, before dying out.
  7. Jaegaseung - Descendents of Jurchens living in Northern Korea, before being assimilated into Korean society.
  8. Capayán - Indigenous Tribe living in Argentina, before being subjugated by the Inca, and going extinct with the Spanish Colonial Period.
  9. Volga Finns - Finnish People living the Volga region
  10. Phoenician/Punic People - An Ancient Semitic People that inhabited Phoenicia (Modern Lebanon) and Carthage (Modern Tunisia)
  11. Emishi - An ancient ethnic group living in Japan, before being defeated during the Heian Period. Although, some historians theorize that the Emishi had a connection to the Ainu people, but this is just speculation.
  12. Guanahatabey - A distinct group from that predated the Taino, living in Western Cuba, that went extinct during the Spanish Colonial Period
  13. Sadlermiut - A Native American group living in Canada, with some believing them to have been the last remnants or Dorset Culture or a mixture of Dorset and Thule Culture, (Although genetics show otherwise). Went extinct in by the early 20th Century.
  14. Crimean Goths - Last of the Gothic tribes living in Crimea, before going disappearing in the 18th Century.
  15. Scythians - An Ancient Steppe Indo-European nomadic groups in the Eurasian steppe, until the 3rd century BC
  16. Khazars - A semi-nomadic Turkic people that was notably to converted to Judaism
  17. Guanche - A people living in the Canary Islands, before being conquered by the Spanish, and intermixing with the Guanche. Although their culture and language died out, they live through genetics.
  18. Other (Write it down)
So, with this list down, who would you want to save?

Sidenote: I know that some of these ethnic groups does live on through DNA and Genetics, like the Taino through their descendants in the Caribbean. But what we're here to talk about hypotheticals, about certain ethnic groups living as a distinct ethnicity.

Also, I was initially about to put the Moors in the list, but really couldn't decide, so if you want to put it, put it on "Other". Also, groups included in "Other" would be Ancient ethnic groups, such as the Huns.
Have the Fireland Fuegians survive into modern day. I hardy see anyone ever talking about them.

Have the Fireland Fuegians survive into modern day. I hardy see anyone ever talking about them.
Technically they are not extinct since there is still one full-blooded Yaghan woman who is 93 years old and a fluent speaker of her language. There are of course many other mixed-race Yaghan and other Fuegians who culturally identify with those people.

Weren't the Romans descended from Lydians who fled the Bronze Age collapse?
No. The linguistics and archaeology is clear: the Romans were descended from the general Italic peoples of the Latin plain, who themselves were descended from an Indo-European group that migrated across the Alps c. 1500-1000 BC. There is no evidence for a significant Anatolian migration to Italy after this date, and most claims that there was come from the Graeco-Roman tradition of tracing every European ethnic group back to the Trojan War. I’ve never heard this specific claim re. the Lydians, but it’s not at all supported by the evidence.

It's like fried potatoes - french fries I mean - but different, either a bit more hard or softer, depending on how its made. Also the taste is similar but different - good different.
It's often something you eat as a Tira-Gosto or appetizer, I know this club/bar in my city which makes FANTASTIC macaxeiras fritas.

Weren't the Romans descended from Lydians who fled the Bronze Age collapse?
It is the Etruscans who are said to be that.

Another thing I would like to maintain is that the Homeland of the BaiYue and DongYi or the Austric group remain theirs, which would basically butterfly china completely.