Sarawak PoD 1949 - A TL

I suppose salvage is a possibility afterwards - be nice to have a decent war record for Sarawak's navy.

Anyone serving on a Pacific warship should be grateful MacArthur wasn't a Naval man.

If the Brooke Dockyard is unsuitable then could you suggest somewhere that is a better choice for modern/interwar ship repair and construction ? I want this TL to be as plausible as possible and no doubt the Sarawak government at the time wouldn't select it to develop if its a nightmare :D

Additionally Im thinking of trying to build up a butterfly chain that would allow an earlier British election - say around 1934 that would be won by a coalition government of Liberals and Labour as a method of encouraging rearmament and improving matters - does this sound plausible and does anyone have suggestions as to how to bring it about ?

Somewhere at Rajang Delta?

A regency would be complicated but it might also jump-start the POD - for instance, the regency council could include reformers from the Malay, Dayak and Chinese elites, and they could educate Anthony and advise him on political reforms. If you want rapid change in Sarawak then a period of transition like a regency may be the way to do it.

So Vyner could be offed in 1930 then...

I suppose that is true actually - a major reforming push by an educated Anthony working to improve the nation and a stronger parliamentary system, its certainly an idea. Would have to find suitable reformers who want to strengthen the country and democracy.

Potential major changes Im considering for this Timeline are an Operation Downfall parallel going ahead instead or perhaps alongside nuclear bombing with obvious disastrous results, Indonesia either balkanising into a variety of competing nations or forming a very loose confederation, United Kingdom remaining much more powerful and incorporating several colonies directly into the Westminster system - maybe the Caribbean islands, Falklands and perhaps Labuan ...

What do people think ?

We need Indonesia as counterweight of Sarawak. After all, Soekarno was a force to be reckoned with...

As of others, I'll just follow your lead. Just don't glass Japan, okay?;)

Somewhere at Rajang Delta?

Ill have to research about that - afraid for all my talk I am pretty hopeless on detailed Sarawak geography :D Would Sibu be a suitable site for a major shipyards or perhaps a less populated location further down river ?

So Vyner could be offed in 1930 then...

Would give a little longer for changes to be made and construction of various projects to get underway which is a definite advantage - trouble for me will be in not creating an unrealistic Sarawak wank.

We need Indonesia as counterweight of Sarawak. After all, Soekarno was a force to be reckoned with...

Would you propose an Indonesia similar to OTL then ? Suppose killing off all chances of the Konfrontasi and events like that would be rather boring :D

As of others, I'll just follow your lead. Just don't glass Japan, okay?;)

Wouldn't glass it - invade it in a bloody guerrilla war to discourage the Americans and distract them from encouraging de-colonialism for a bit - maybe :D

Responses in bold :)

On a totally unimportant note I don't think Ill use this method of replying again - looks rather rude and awkward to my eyes :D

Last edited:
Responses in bold :)

On a totally unimportant note I don't think Ill use this method of replying again - looks rather rude and awkward to my eyes :D

Nah. It's okay...

Sibu was strategically a very good place to set up a dockyard... In 1930's Rajang river was deep and wide enough to handle cruiser sized ship...

Nah. It's okay...

Sibu was strategically a very good place to set up a dockyard... In 1930's Rajang river was deep and wide enough to handle cruiser sized ship...

Excellent Sibu it probably shall be.

Either going to have Sarawak develop its own companies and production facilities or somehow find ways of plausibly bring British companies to work in Sarawak - perhaps co-operation with local efforts or to make spares for military equipment. Suppose that technical expertise could be brought in to a certain extent from British India. Would also encourage potential increased Indian immigration which might be quite interesting.

Last edited:
Excellent Sibu it probably shall be.

Either going to have Sarawak develop its own companies and production facilities or somehow find ways of plausibly bring British companies to work in Sarawak - perhaps co-operation with local efforts or to make spares for military equipment. Suppose that technical expertise could be brought in to a certain extent from British India. Would also encourage potential increased Indian immigration which might be quite interesting.

The Sarawak Company was still running...

Yeah, that.:)

Would they be the sort of company to invest in creating factories and manufacturing possibly on licence from the UK ? I think what Im going to do is have Indian railway workers and imported expertise with the Sarawak Railway possibly with a small engine production facility and later on an indigenous train design.

Thrilled to see this TL get a second life - and a splendid second start at one too!

Thank you.

Here is the link to the planning thread of the New TL - https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=8157822#post8157822

Would be very grateful if everyone who had interest in this work moved across and helped shape the second attempt into a cheerfully eccentric but interesting TL. If anyone else happens to want to propose ideas, thoughts or awesome suggestions I shall endeavour to weave the more possible ones into the TL.

Thank you it is very generous of you - Im hopeless with that sort of thing :)

One more question : Could I distinguish the military markings by putting the badger on a ground forces marking and the hornbill on the air force roundel of the country ? I think it would be pretty neat, and still in line with the local traditional symbolism.

One more question : Could I distinguish the military markings by putting the badger on a ground forces marking and the hornbill on the air force roundel of the country ? I think it would be pretty neat, and still in line with the local traditional symbolism.

Sorry for not spotting this earlier - been staring at the new thread :)

Certainly you can - Im sure whatever you come with will look pure epic.