Sam Raimi takes over the Batman Franchise.

Sam Raimi was for some time on a short list of Directors to Direct Batman movies, reportedly he was the runner up to replace Burton for the third sequel, and he had lobbied hard for the job before the first film was released. So what if the studio had gone with Raimi to replace Burton?

What if, for example, Shumacher had had a prior commitment, and Raimi had taken the reigns after the backlash against "Batman Returns." How would Raimi deal with the mandates? (Robin, Riddler, Lighter were I think the studio's basic demands for the third film though there was a lot of studio interference)

Who might Raimi cast in the title role, given that Keaton will most certainly be leaving?

What sort of plot would he go with, and how might studio intervention affect that plot.

Who would he cast generally?

Would this ruin Raimi's career? What happens to the Spider-Man franchise down the line?

The plot and casting questions of a Raimi directed Batman II have previously been discussed and I hope we can also continue that discussion here with more specificity. (Namely potential plot and casts)

The Batman franchise (probably) does not turn into a trainwreck. In this TL, Sam Raimi is coming off of the Evil Dead franchise, which was financially successful and successfully mixed horror, comedy and action. That would give him some clout and would allow him to ward off the worst of the studio meddling. However, I feel compelled to point out that this butterflies Christopher Nolan and the Dark Knight Trilogy.

Last edited:
If we go with the 1995 option it still could turn into a trainwreck, because of that was due to studio pressure rather than the director per se. At the least it will be lighter than the Burton directed films, the studios will demand that, in spite of what Clout he might have. The paranoia Batman Returns engendered ran deep.
Not only does this butterfly Nolan's work, it butterflies Raimi's Spider-Man films. If the franchise becomes a trainwreck thanks to the studio, his career would at least be slightly damaged by his perceived responsibility for the failure.

Not only does this butterfly Nolan's work, it butterflies Raimi's Spider-Man films. If the franchise becomes a trainwreck thanks to the studio, his career would at least be slightly damaged by his perceived responsibility for the failure.

Maybe Jim Cameron gets tapped for Spiderman instead?

I think there are a couple of things we can predict about Raimi's films, depending on when he takes over.

1. The Studio will mandate villains whether Raimi is directing Batman II or Batman III. If he takes the reigns for the first sequel, Raimi will have to make the Penguin the main antagonist, if he picks up the pieces in 1995, the Riddler will appear.

2. Bruce Campbell will cameo. He is not a big enough name to play a leading role, but Raimi would probably give him a quick appearance.

3. Raimi really, really wanted to do a scene where the hero is forced to choose between saving two people and he manages to save both. Therefore that vague scene outline will happen.

4. He will have more flexibility, and the franchise will be better off, if he takes over after the initial film.

5. He will have to almost invent a suitable villain out of the Penguin, but he will stay closer to the comics than Burton.

6. He will probably be goaded into introducing Robin at some point.

2. Bruce Campbell will cameo. He is not a big enough name to play a leading role, but Raimi would probably give him a quick appearance.

As wonderful as it would be to see Campbell as Batman, you're probably right. I wonder if he might get a villain part however, he's expressed a preference for them in the past when they have better lines then the protagonist.

As wonderful as it would be to see Campbell as Batman, you're probably right. I wonder if he might get a villain part however, he's expressed a preference for them in the past when they have better lines then the protagonist.

I can tell you right now Bruce Campbell wouldn't make a good Batman or Riddler. I honestly don't know what role he could have in the movie since most of Batmans villains don't really suite him.

I can tell you right now Bruce Campbell wouldn't make a good Batman or Riddler. I honestly don't know what role he could have in the movie since most of Batmans villains don't really suite him.

In a timeline of mine, The Power and the Glitter!, Sam Raimi directs an adaptation of The Dark Knight Rises, and Bruce Campbell is cast as Harvey Dent.

I was thinking Bane, he's a big guy, and the part could be perfect for overacting.

It's more of a studio thing than anything else. After Jack Nicholson, there is absolutely no way someone like Campbell is allowed to be the main villain. And I think Raimi would understand that and not push it. At most, he could have a villain side kick sort of role, think Bob in
Batman 1989.

Maybe Bruce Campbell gets cast in the Commissioner Gordon role? Or more to his liking, Harvey Bullock?

What about casting Bruce Campbell as Harvey Dent? Harvey Dent did get recast between Batman and Batman Forever and The Dark Knight showed us that Two Face can be a great Batman villain in the right hands.

Last edited:
What about casting Bruce Campbell as Harvey Dent? Harvey Dent get recast between Batman and Batman Forever.

I think that's too big a part for the studio to go along with, depending on the film. Tommy Lee Jones was not Jack Nicholson, but he was certainly more well known to the general public than Campbell. At most, Campbell would be allowed to play some sort of sidekick character.

Presumably, Raimi would keep Burton's Gordon. Afterall, Shumacher did. I do not think there will be recasts unless people drop out.

I don't think there was a 'Commissioner Gordon' - not in Batman Returns or Forever anyway. If nothing else, tack Campbell on as Bullock.

And keep Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent :D

I don't think there was a 'Commissioner Gordon' - not in Batman Returns or Forever anyway. If nothing else, tack Campbell on as Bullock.

And keep Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent :D

There was a Gordon throughout the franchise, fairly minor role in the sequels, but he was there. Keeping Williams means somehow Two-Face appearing in Batman II, otherwise contract mumbo means he will not appear, if I remember that dispute correctly.

in that case, Two-Face could be the secondary villain to Penguin in the second film and Catwoman could very well be reserved for a later film, if she's used at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing Catwoman in the third film instead of the second one, and I'd encourage it if it means Billy Dee Williams is Two Face. I'm not a fan of Burton's interpretation of Catwoman; I'm not into chicks who eat raw fish and look like corpses.
As for Campbell, I think he can make a really good show-stealing villain sidekick, or an interesting take on Bullock or Gordon. Personally, I think he'd be a fun, goofy Riddler, but I don't think the studio would hire him.

And the Penguin would ideally be portrayed as a powerful political figure or a peer of Bruce Wayne, and he runs an organized crime ring. He is, afterall, the gentleman crook, isn't he? Perhaps they can stick with a Nosferatu-inspired film but put the Penguin in Max Schrek's position instead. That said, I happen to like Tim Burton's version, though he could be better.

Last edited: