Russia United by 1230?

Faeelin

Banned
Okay, I've been reading about the Mongol invasion of Russia, and something interesting shows up.

By 1212, all the Russian princes acknowledged that the Prince of Suzdalia, Vsevolod, was supreme; but when he died in 1213, his eldest son Konstantin allied with the princes of Smolensk (who also ruled Kiev) to overthrow Vsevolod's appointed successor, Yuri. This set Suzdalia up for a civil war that would last for 5 years, and weaken the state horribly. Although Yuri did take over when Konstantin died, the oppurtunity to unite Russia was lost.

Suppose Vsevolod lived for a few more years, and dealt with his eldest son Konstantin? In the aftermath of Kalka, Yuri could have wiped out the weakened princes of Smolensk, and his leadership over the Rus would have been unquestioned.

Does this have any effect when the Mongols arrive? if the south hasn't just been fighting a civil war for several years, can they do better against the Hosts of Hell?

I tried something with Alexander Nevskij uniting Russia (and allying with Byzantium, beating the Muslims) in a TL without Genghis, but I'm not sure whether it would work or not...

Grey Wolf

Donor
Faeelin said:
Okay, I've been reading about the Mongol invasion of Russia, and something interesting shows up.

By 1212, all the Russian princes acknowledged that the Prince of Suzdalia, Vsevolod, was supreme;

By what measure ? Remember, Anglo-Saxon England the Braetwalda ? Supreme king among kings but it was never a move towards unity, although it did weaken some of the smaller kingdoms into being clients of the remaining strong ones

Grey Wolf

In my monster TL I'm developing a Polacak (? not Polish anyway) Empire in Bielorussia and Western Ukraine, later destroyed by Mongols and absorbed by Lithuania

Faeelin

Banned
Grey Wolf said:
By what measure ? Remember, Anglo-Saxon England the Braetwalda ? Supreme king among kings but it was never a move towards unity, although it did weaken some of the smaller kingdoms into being clients of the remaining strong ones

Grey Wolf

He ruled novgorod, suzdalia, and southeast Russia, and he could control the balance of power in the south.

In short, he ruled about as Muscovy did by 1450.