• No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Perhaps?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Increase the number of Icebreaker s to 10 and open tolled travel through the Arctic.

It can also help justify militarization of Arctic.
Not exactly........Russia is trying to go for the 'Soft Power' Approach ITTL, so militarizing the Arctic would really be counterproductive

Great timeline and very interesting scenarios. I wonder how EU and especially Germany are doing in this timeline? It seems EU will not expand east like it did in OTL in 2000s and some kind of divide between western and eastern Europe has been continuing but this time the "Iron curtain" (if you can really say so) is more in the east.

Also how does Russia's economy compare to those of the European big economies? I could see Germany still be higher than Russia but I doubt Italy would like in OTL.

Great timeline and very interesting scenarios. I wonder how EU and especially Germany are doing in this timeline? It seems EU will not expand east like it did in OTL in 2000s and some kind of divide between western and eastern Europe has been continuing but this time the "Iron curtain" (if you can really say so) is more in the east.

Also how does Russia's economy compare to those of the European big economies? I could see Germany still be higher than Russia but I doubt Italy would like in OTL.
EU is OTL for now, except the Baltic States perhaps;
Germany's going to be having a serious competitor and yeah.....Italy is going to be left in the dust ITTL.

Interesting work, clever butterflies, etc.
Overall theme seems to be Russia leveraging its good geography and playing things hyper-competently.
Can't complain too much about conditions being better in Russia than OTL. Also realistic that Yabloko would do this if in power.
And boy, is America going to regret going to war in Iraq...
My ignorance of this timeline is as dead as the Russo-Indian relationship :p

Heh, I could, but really I only restored two monarchies which had a good chance of being restored. The Romanovs having a constant support above 30 percent since the fall of the USSR and the Yugoslav royal family having a constant support of 35 percent does indicate something. In Iran.......never gonna happen. They would rather bring back the Qajars rather than the Pahlavi, also monarchism in Iran is dead than butter, so Iran is out. Afghanistan is a could be nation, however it's a tiny problem when the heir does not want to be king at all.
I would agree but despite the Pahlavi being usurper they still have a better legacy than Qajar.

Under Qajar Iran’s poverty was at its highest as well as land losses and women’s rights lowest, and plus their current heads cant even speak Farsi.

Reza Khan, who initially wanted to create an authoritarian republic to modernize like Ataturk’s turkey (but was blocked from the clergy) modernized Iran from a very bad state and is responsible for much of the remaining poverty.

The problem then became a spoiled son...

How is Chechnya doing? I feel like it will be both overall economically doing well and unlike OTL it will not be a one man show of Kadyrov and can retain democracy. Ethnic Russians will probably live better?

I think it will still be wealthy and probably wealthier given Chechnya's natural wealth but this time there isnt a ton of corruption.

How is Chechnya doing? I feel like it will be both overall economically doing well and unlike OTL it will not be a one man show of Kadyrov and can retain democracy. Ethnic Russians will probably live better?

I think it will still be wealthy and probably wealthier given Chechnya's natural wealth but this time there isnt a ton of corruption.
I do plan on touching specifically on the Russian Republics.....now Russian Kingdoms.......in a chapter. I will be covering the economical and social aspects of the places. Though Chechnya's a much better place to live ITTL.

Chapter 21: Or How to Do Economics and Diplomacy Properly.
Chapter 21: Or How to Do Economics and Diplomacy Properly.

The Economic Times:

Chancellor Yavlinsky of Russia delivers comprehensive new Economic Report

March 12th, 2004

The Chancellor of Russia, Grigory Yavlinsky has issued a comprehensive report about the Economics of the Czardom of Russia. The Russian economy has come a far way, this year is currently the last year of the second 3-year plan. Originally the plan devised by Chancellor Yavlinsky and the late vice president Gennady Zyuganov called for only two three year plans, however the Chancellor has issued a new report to the Russian cabinet and the State Duma in which he has expressed his doubts that having only two 3-year plans will be enough. He has stated that the original goal was to have the Russian economy only 12% dependent on oil and energy, however as the final year of the second 3-year plan goes on, the Russian economy is still around 15% dependent on oil and gas exports. President Yavlinsky has called for the Russian State Duma to allow another 3-year plan in which Russia can fully bring down it’s dependency on oil and gas exports to around 10% to 12%. The Russian State Duma has been supportive of this largely. MP Sobchak has stated that:

The Russian economy cannot become a petro-economy. It is not a stable manner of doing economics, and having 10% of the economy dependent on it is still a huge call, however limiting the dependency from the previous 28% is a huge commitment that Russia has been successful in and I am sure that in a new economic plan, we can continue to remain successful and fully shed the petro-economy of Russia.”

The Third 3-year plan that has been written by Chancellor Yavlinsky and Vice-Chancellor Nemtsov calls for:-

• The creation of at least 1 million new credit jobs.
  • To make sure that each citizen has a moderate saving amount in their bank account (this part is supposed to become integrated with the ongoing Russian programme named the ‘Eradication of Poverty’ program which calls for Russia to eradicate poverty by 2012).
  • To increase production of technological goods in Russia.
  • To create scholarships and create educational opportunities in Russia to encourage professional immigration into Russia.
  • The consolidation of Industry 4.0 in Russia.
  • The start of the ‘Made in Russia Program 2008’ to ensure exports of consumer goods made in Russia throughout eastern Europe, and if possible central and western Europe.
The State Duma has convened and recently news has come out that the State Duma has accepted the plan 372-128 in a voting session. The third 3-year plan will be implemented from November, 2004, when the second 3-year plan in which Russia was currently in ended. The Russian economy in the past few years has managed to increase it’s power and capability with a great amount of speed. The Russian government has also announced that they are opening a package of around $50 Billion Dollars which they intend to invest into Central Asia. This will allow more Russian investment into the economies of Central Asia and open up further resources for the CSTO Free Market in Central Asia. The Central Asian governments have been largely supportive of this idea and have even tentatively asked Russia to increase the amount to $60 Billion, however, for now Russia seems slightly reluctant to increase the amount further than $50 Billion Dollars. Nonetheless negotiations over this matter continues.

Iran has recently also announced that after they join the CSTO in July this year, they would be collaborating with Russia closely to make sure that Iran would be able to slowly scrap it’s own dependence on the oil industry as well. Chancellor Yavlinsky has announced that Russia would be more than willing to aid Iran in their endeavor.

1598245963748.png

Chancellor Yavlinsky announcing the third 3-year Plan of Russia.

For now it seems that the economic activities of CSTO and their members have drawn international attention. The European Union is being rumored to opening up trade negotiations with the Czardom of Russia and CSTO, however there have been no concrete talks yet.

The New York Journal:

Russia and Central Asia sign the Acts of the Eurasian Union State

April 20th, 2004

We have breaking news reports coming in from Kazan, Russia. For years within the Collective Security Treaty Organization we have known that the Russian government and the Central Asian Governments have been in negotiations over a loose Union State with one another; much like the former Union State between Russia and Belarus before Belarus voluntarily was annexed into Russia. The legal frameworks of this new Union State between Russia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan are as follows:-

• A Supreme State Council: This is the highest authority within the Union State; made up of Presidents, Chancellors, and Prime Ministers of the nations of the Union State along with the head of the Parliamentary Chambers of each countries. Each State has one vote on the council a majority of 2/3 is needed to pass decisions in the council.
  • A Council of Ministers made up of the country’s Prime Ministers, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Economy, Finance as well as the secretary of the council.
  • A Court of the Union, consisting of 9 judges, appointed for a term of 6 years.
  • A House of Auditing to control the budget of the Union State.
  • Freedom of Movement of the CSTO reaffirmed between all states of the Union State.
  • The Military Armed Forces of the Union State to be federalized and joint together to form the ‘Armed Forces of the Eurasian Union State’. This would create a joint general staff of the military, even though each country would control their portion of the military. This will be completed by 2010.
  • A Proposed Union Parliament consisting of around 80 Chamber Deputies from Russia, 20 Deputies from Kazakhstan, 16 Deputies from Uzbekistan, 14 Deputies from Turkmenistan, 12 Deputies from Tajikistan and 10 Deputies from Kyrgyzstan. This is to be finalized by 2008.
The Russian and Central Asian governments have heralded this as the new age and era of Eurasian Ties and the Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev has called this:

A New era of prosperity. Not only does this ensure stability within our nations, it also promotes our security and our economic interests throughout the world. We look forward for further integration of the Eurasian Union State, and we shall work harder for it’s total implementation with a decade or two.”

1598246255146.png

Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev.

Many have speculated that this will mean the annexation of Central Asia into Russia. However Czarina Maria I of Russia gave a speech yesterday condemning these rumors.

Central Asia has had its own unique culture, their own unique history that is only amenable for themselves. We have been closely linked, through history, and Russia shall always stay with her Central Asian cousins and allies. The Creation of an Union State is only meant to make these ties stronger and create a more cohesive economic and military union. Central Asia is independent and sovereign and shall remain so. This Union State does not change this fact and it will not. It is the will of the people to decide whether or not they wish to join Russia and should the people of these states wish to join, then that is a discussion for another day and a referendum for another day, however with no concrete proof of this matter, we are not willing to look at Central Asia as anything but Independent and Sovereign States. They are, and they shall remain so unless their people decide otherwise.”

The rest of the CSTO have given their congratulations to all countries involved. Some countries like Ukraine, Moldova, Transnistria and even Estonia have expressed some hesitant views that they would wish to join the new Union State. In fact the Estonian Government has issued a statement stating that they are in the process of negotiating a free movement agreement bilaterally between Russia and Estonia. The Russian government has affirmed this statement stating that this agreement if met would not extend to the CSTO and Estonia would not be joining CSTO. Nonetheless, the economic benefits of a free movement area would be beneficial for both Estonia and Russia. Latvia and Lithuania have remained quiet on this news, and they have refused to comment on this new development.

map.png

Members of the Eurasian Union State
Russia - Purple
Central Asia - Green
Prospective States who have expressed willingness to join - Pink.

The Diplomat:

Colonel Gaddafi dead! Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi takes power in Libya!

May 12th, 2004

Colonel Gaddafi, the strongman and dictator of Libya has been found dead in his bedroom by the Libyan authorities. It seems that the man died through the night by food poisoning. His son, Saif-Al Islam Gaddafi has taken power in Libya as the new President of Libya. He has given a speech in Tripoli stating that a ‘new world was coming, and Libya needed to be ready for it’. He has stated that within a decade, he plans for Libya to slowly transition into a Semi-Democracy or Flawed Democracy. Some have decried him for making this decision throughout a long and drawn out time period, however he has quieted the international opposition stating that rushing into democracy would make Libya a failed state much like the current situation in Somalia. He has stated that a new constitution would be promulgated by the next year and has promised wide spread new reforms and rights to be given to the Libyan citizens.

1598246406231.png

New President of Libya, Saif-Al Islam Gaddafi

In terms of international diplomacy, the new government of Libya has taken the old offer of the CSTO, and has stated that they are in negotiations with Russia and the CSTO to join the CSTO as they had offered Libya a few months ago. Libyan President Gaddafi has stated that the Russian stance on anti-petro currency and economy suits Libya a lot and that economically Libya had more to gain from Russia and the CSTO. The CSTO had welcomed this decision and has stated that the negotiations will take place in Odessa, Ukraine.

“So, Katrina, your first assassination, and that too of a dictator in North Africa? You make this old FSB officer proud.”

“Oh shut up Dmitri. Your KGB record was horrible.”

“Meh, its not like I can seduce a man into the bedsheets and then poison them to death can I little princess?”

“Shut up.”

“…..meh fine. Just remember to give your report to Director Putin and Chancellor Yavlinsky.”

“Yeah yeah I know.”