Revolution! Or, A Victorian Cold War

What country should I cover once I've finished California?

• Total voters
xSIi3eL.png

Made a few edits to the World Map, emphasising on Austria-Hungary and the USA.

Balkan Wars Update I
- The Rise and Fall of the Ottoman Empire -
Melisa Yesilnil. Cambridge Journal of Contemporary Affairs, 1996.

With the end of the Bismarck government and the supposed instability in the German government, international attention shifted towards the East as the Japanese and the Ottoman Empire underwent huge upheavals with regards to Communalism and Ultranationalism (Known in OTL as fascism). The Ottoman Empire had suffered for years under neighbouring Russian and Persian governments and numerous insurrections in Egypt and the Levant as the local Arab population began to rebel against the Turkish dominated government in Ankara.

The Armenian population also became restless after the rise of the Transcaucasian Republic. The states of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia seceded from the Russian Empire during the German-backed coup, due to the distance between Moscow and these small nations, a military incursion was seen as a waste of resources and time. The three small nations had unified into a secular democratic federation with each nation having it's own legal system, heads of state and judiciary, just to name but a few. Numerous plebiscites had been organised by the governments of the Armenian majority regions in the Empire, but were struck down by the Ankara government.

With the rise of the Turkish general Enver Pasha in 1913 under the Young Turks Party, the problems of ethnic violence were seemingly solved as the new Vizer began to secretly deport those who spoke up against the government (or who were just not Turkish in general) to concentration camps scattered all over the countryside. The government merely claimed that they were factories after the rest of the world began to notice that the Turkish government was massing troops at the Greek border.

On the 1st of September 1919, the Ottoman Empire staged a Błyskawiczna attack on Greek positions as thousands of troops and tanks began to pour over the border with chemical bombardments following shortly thereafter...

This was the start of the Balkan Wars, one that would reshape history...

Last edited:
Balkan Wars Images
Here's some images to give an idea of what the Balkan War was like...

1280px-P68l.jpg

Example of a captured Turkish tank, 1920.

occup8.jpg

Turkish firing squad killing Greek partisans.

hawker-hind-bomber-plane.jpg

Colourised image of a British Vickers Bomber, 1925.

Balkan Wars Update II
- The Rise and Fall of the Ottoman Empire -
Melisa Yesilnil. Cambridge Journal of Contemporary Affairs, 1996.

The sudden barrage of chemical weapons and artillery from the Ottoman forces took the Greek government by surprise. King Constantine suffered a nervous breakdown after hearing the news of the invasion. The rest of Europe reacted in a similar fashion, with the British garrisons on Cyprus and Malta made preparations to send their Mediterranean fleet through the Dardanelles to aid the Constantinople government. With the hoards of Turkish forces flooding over the border, Bulgarian and Austro-Hungarian forces also began to mass at the Greek border, ready to give any assistance to the Greek Kingdom.

Allies of the Anti-Turkish Coalition
  • United Kingdom
  • France
  • Greece
  • Austria-Hungary
  • Bulgaria
  • Romania
  • Italy
  • Netherlands-Belgium

Last edited:
I was trying to go for an inter-war design. Any ideas?
FT-17. FT-17s everywhere. It was pretty much the most widespread tank after the Great War. If you still want a multi-turreted design, might want to check out the Vickers Independent, but only one of those were made and that was in 1925.

FT-17. FT-17s everywhere. It was pretty much the most widespread tank after the Great War. If you still want a multi-turreted design, might want to check out the Vickers Independent, but only one of those were made and that was in 1925.

Looks nice! Since the tech levels are approx. 10 years ahead of OTL (with a few differences here and there, the gap isn't that uniform when it comes to certain fields.) I guess this would be introduced in the later stages of the war (1924-26). The Ottomans and Germans were the pioneers of inter-war style tanks in the 1910's, while Britain and the Americans developed their aircraft and naval forces.

That flag really bothers me, though I see what you were trying to do and I can't really suggest much other than keeping the Black-Gold flag or something inspired by it.

Constantinople Arc: Chapter 2
“So… Would you mind telling me about your time in the Balkans?” Marcus asked the elderly veteran. Alexandros Coustas let out an audible sigh as he threw the cigarette out of the window and moved himself over to a nearby chair so that he could get a good view of his associate.

“The Balkans was the powder keg of Europe, especially after the Ottoman government got overthrown back in 1913 by Enver Pasha… I was only a boy then, just tending to the family farm in Thrace. The war started in 1919 when the Ottoman Air Force began raids on the nearby towns. Constantinople was shelled before it was re-captured in mid-1920. That was when I signed up for the war…”

Marcus nodded as he started to take notes, thinking of what Coustas had gone through whilst with the British and Greek regiments. The war seemed like more of the Second World War he was familiar with than the Great War his family fought in. The rapid adoption of combat-ready aircraft and tanks by both sides in an attempt to challenge the Germans in the 1900’s must’ve been the reason why.

Coustas continued to talk, attempting to discuss his time in the military with a rather level tone. But Marcus knew that he would slip up somewhere along the line…

“I was sent to hold the line against the Turkish forces in 1922 by the British.” The elderly veteran let out yet another audible sigh before lighting another cigarette. “The constant chemical weapons and those damned artillery strikes killed most of our men. I remember hearing the screams of our Austrian brethren dying amongst our French and British commanders…”

“War is hell, Mister Mueller. The Balkans were seen as a never ending hell for us. 1923 was the worst, we thought that the Turks would win, by that time they’d overran most of Greece, leaving only a few islands and the Peloponnese unconquered as their unstoppable armies marched into southern Austria-Hungary.”

The young aristocrat nodded in response. He specifically remembered his great-grandfather having served on the Somme and Gallipoli, the latter of which having still have occurred in this strange timeline, but with much better results…

“I do hope that you have a strong stomach…”

------0------

Any questions? :)