Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1860

Vote in the 1860 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm torn. I'm not going to vote for the obvious winner because I like making landslides less landslidey (in what little ways I can), and all things being equal, I'd thus probably vote Douglas, because I like the fellow, and he'd do his level best at the job. Then, of course, he'd die, which is very problematic.

On the other hand, we have Breckenridge, whose vice president, Joseph Lane, was from my birth state, and governed the territory that later became my state of residence. I'm rather attached to both, and I'm fully behind voting for the only horse in these races from my area.

And since neither of them are going to win, I'm guilt-free about this decision. But who should it be?

Coin flip says Breckenridge, so I'm going to vote for Douglas just to be contrary.

Japhy

Banned
Bell is pathetic and will give in and join the Confederacy, Breck is one of the less-terrible Confederates.

Douglas represents a trend in the Democratic Party I like though (More or less embracing old whig ideas like American Industrial and rail expansion, more popular democracy). While he says unkind things about blacks in the campaign, Lincoln was as well. The South Hates Douglas and Lincoln though and will secede no matter who wins. Douglas at least represents a Non-Republican group that will support the Union though the struggle ahead. As a coming-war Democrat he wins my support. And Lincoln will win anyway so why not?

And If elected his death is so avoidable there's little doubt he would survive much longer then IOTL.

Under FPTP, Lincoln no question.

Under IRV, it would be Lincoln-Bell-Douglas-Breckinridge for me.

Yeah, Bell's got a vote now! He's surging! We can still get a come-from-behind Bell victory, right?

...right?

...anybody?

UH-OH BELLS GOT A VOTE!

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

But seriously, no part of me understands why anyone not named Abraham has a vote in this election.

The rest are all pro-slavery nutjobs that support the C.S.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.