Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1860

Vote in the 1860 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
But seriously, no part of me understands why anyone not named Abraham has a vote in this election.

The rest are all pro-slavery nutjobs that support the C.S.A.
No. I voted for Lincoln, but I must defend Douglas against that slander. He essentially abandoned his Presidential campaign in early fall to go down to the South and speak against secession. Then, following the election, he offered Lincoln his services in whatever capacity. Douglas should not have been President, but he was a loyal, honorable American.

I know racism was the prevailing school of thought back then, but Douglas's was pretty vile.

I can sort of see why one would vote for Bell (Pacifism) but Douglas and Breckenridge? Come on.

Please. Everybody knows Lincoln WILL win 1864.

Thats not for certain. Lets hear from the ACTUAL POTUS if Lincoln is re-elected....

"This is a country for white men, and by God, as long as I am President, it shall be a government for white men .... This whole vast continent is destined to fall under the control of the Anglo-Saxon race-the governing and self-governing race."

"I am sworn to uphold the Constitution as Andy Johnson understands it and interprets it."

"The peculiar qualities which should characterize any people who are fit to decide upon the management of public affairs for a great state have seldom been combined. It is the glory of white men to know that they have had these qualities in sufficient measure to build upon this continent a great political fabric and to preserve its stability for more than ninety years, while in every other part of the world all similar experiments have failed. But if any* thing can be proved by known facts, if all reasoning upon evidence is not abandoned, it must be acknowledged that in the progress of nations Negroes have shown less capacity for government than any other race or people. No independent government of any form has ever been successful in their hands. On the contrary, wherever they have been left to their own devices they have shown a constant tendency to relapse into barbarism.

Thats why we have to educate them. Andrew Johnson cant be President. If reminded just who exactly is going to be President, people will vote for the lesser of two evils. Which in this case is McClellan.

Mac was later on governor of New Jersey for one term were he performed adequately. Nothing exiciting, just professional.

Thats why we have to educate them. Andrew Johnson cant be President. If reminded just who exactly is going to be President, people will vote for the lesser of two evils. Which in this case is McClellan.

Mac was later on governor of New Jersey for one term were he performed adequately. Nothing exiciting, just professional.

Its not as if he would have more in favour of civil rights for blacks and he was running under a platform in favour of negotiating with the Rebs (although he did not favour it personally). Probably the most dangerous major party candidate along with George McGovern.

Its not as if he would have more in favour of civil rights for blacks and he was running under a platform in favour of negotiating with the Rebs (although he did not favour it personally). Probably the most dangerous major party candidate along with George McGovern.

What do you mean by dangerous? What makes McClellan more dangerous than Johnson?

Because peace is more dangerous than Barry "Nuke Vietnam" Goldwater. :rolleyes:

Although I don't want to say I'm a knee-jerk Goldwater hater; he was at least an honest and ideologically consistent man and generally was dead right on social issues. Still, in my heart, I know he might, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, etc. Far more dangerous than wanting to exit Vietnam and back off a little bit from the game of nuclear chicken with the USSR. And I don't think McGovern was exactly the bleeding heart pinko people make him out to be; he was elected to the Senate three times in South Dakota and voted for Jerry Ford for chrissakes.

Heeyyy:
Arachnid, Dom Jao II, Rooster Cogburn
Henry Ford, Spitfiremk1
1.36, Gryphon, Japhy, Stalin, Turquoise Blue

WHY DO YOU LIKE SLAVERY AND HATE PENNIES?

Heeyyy:
Arachnid, Dom Jao II, Rooster Cogburn
Henry Ford, Spitfiremk1
1.36, Gryphon, Japhy, Stalin, Turquoise Blue

WHY DO YOU LIKE SLAVERY AND HATE PENNIES?

Lincoln was a racist bigot (just like everyone else back then) who supported a war that killed 620,000 people and 1/4 of the south's male population. His economic policies helped pave the way for the scandals of the Grant Administration and other politically related scandals of the 1880-90s. He was a sleazy railroad lobbyist and lawyer prior to becoming President and he imprisoned 13,000 newspaper writers during the war because they wrote about peace and an end of the war.

He was worse than Wilson and I DESPISE him for his economic policies, his opposition to the expansion of slavery only for political expediency to make the west a Republican stronghold, and for his dictator-like policies as president during the war. I will NEVER vote for him.

Lincoln was a racist bigot (just like everyone else back then) who supported a war that killed 620,000 people and 1/4 of the south's male population. His economic policies helped pave the way for the scandals of the Grant Administration and other politically related scandals of the 1880-90s. He was a sleazy railroad lobbyist and lawyer prior to becoming President and he imprisoned 13,000 newspaper writers during the war because they wrote about peace and an end of the war.

He was worse than Wilson and I DESPISE him for his economic policies, his opposition to the expansion of slavery only for political expediency to make the west a Republican stronghold, and for his dictator-like policies as president during the war. I will NEVER vote for him.

So you would rather have had the South secede without opposition?

Thats not for certain. Lets hear from the ACTUAL POTUS if Lincoln is re-elected....

"This is a country for white men, and by God, as long as I am President, it shall be a government for white men .... This whole vast continent is destined to fall under the control of the Anglo-Saxon race-the governing and self-governing race."

"I am sworn to uphold the Constitution as Andy Johnson understands it and interprets it."

"The peculiar qualities which should characterize any people who are fit to decide upon the management of public affairs for a great state have seldom been combined. It is the glory of white men to know that they have had these qualities in sufficient measure to build upon this continent a great political fabric and to preserve its stability for more than ninety years, while in every other part of the world all similar experiments have failed. But if any* thing can be proved by known facts, if all reasoning upon evidence is not abandoned, it must be acknowledged that in the progress of nations Negroes have shown less capacity for government than any other race or people. No independent government of any form has ever been successful in their hands. On the contrary, wherever they have been left to their own devices they have shown a constant tendency to relapse into barbarism.

I'm a little skeptical of quotes 1 and 3, TBH. Got any sources for this? I'm sorry, but they both smack of pro-Southern revisionism to me(no offense, Justin, but I've seen a few examples of such over the years so you'll have to forgive my skepticism).

In any case, I voted for Lincoln, because nobody else was right for the job since Fremont wasn't running.

Status
Not open for further replies.