37. The American Independence War (2)
Carlos_Miguel_Fitz-James_Stuart%2C_XIV_Duque_de_Alba.jpg

Carlos II of Spania
37. The American Independence War (2)

With the war in the American British colonies in a stalemate since 1779 and the rebellion in the Spanish ones reduced to Virginia, both London and Toledo began to study a way to get out of the mess. The new Queen María (1778-1802), had different point of view about the issue. Not interested in having the rebellion polluting her other American colonies, she proposed to turn those Spanish colonies into Dominions of the Empire, having their own governments but with the queen of Spania as their head of state. That option was strongly disliked by the leaders of the Virginian rebellion, Andrés de Fonollosa and Miguel Cervantes de León, but de León came to find it interesting as it would place power in the hands of the local population, while Cervantes de León hesitated (he would be murdered by his own men in 1780, probably because they were bribed by de Fonollosa). In the end, the Estados Confederados de America (ECA - Confederate States of America) were born on June 21st, 1781, with de Fonollosa as his first Presidente. This would led, eventually, to the transformation of the remaining colonies into independent states but, as we shall see, the process would take its time and it would not be an easy one.

The solution did not please London, Cornwallis had hit hard the rebel army led by Benedict Arnold at Yorktwon (September 28, 1781), but, in turn, he had been bleeded white when he had attempted to storm West Point (October 18), stubbornly defended by George Washington. In the end, the combined forces of Arnold and Washington were to deliever a big blow to Cornwallis in the outskirts of Germantown (December 3) and the war returned to its stalemate. By then, however, French supplies and money began to reach the Northern rebels through the ECA, as de Fonollosa was more than happy to "help" their brethern in exchange for some commision sales payed by Paris. This would, in turn, damage the Spanian relations with Great Britain, but Queen Maria was hardly bothered by the event and did not stop de Fonollosa from going on with his scheme, something that would return, in the future, to bit Spania in her most pudent parts. In the end, London granted the independence to the American colonies following the Treaty of Paris (1783), that marked not only the birth of the United States of America, but a bitter hatred that the British were to have towards Spania and France and that would take its time to heal.

However, as it has been mentioned, Maria did not care about the future troubles. Her 24 years in the Spanian throne were marked by her generosity towards her subjetcs but also by a total carelessnes about the state affairs, that were gradually let in the hands of her "Consejo de Ministros" (Minister Council), that, by 1780, had become a de facto government of Spania. She died in 1802, being 40 years old without a male heir. Carlos de Medina Sidonia, who was 12 years old and was a distant relative of the queen, became king Carlos II of Spania (1802-1835). A wealthy art collector, Carlos would let the government in the hands of his ministers, too, taking only a small role in the government of the country.

Dear readers,

Right now I have some kind of block with this slightly Visigothic kindgom, so I'll put it on hold for a while. If I cannot solve it, I'll try to write some kind of "epilogue" to it to avoid leaving it unfinished.

38. The Age of Revolutions -1-
1587740507865.png

Dutch light horse artillery from the Batavian republic

38. The Age of Revolutions -1-

After the American revolution, it was the time for Europe to suffer its own upheavals. The first one took place in Ireland, and it was clearly inspired in the events that lead to the creation of the United States of America in 1783. It all started in 1778 with a corsair raid carried out by John Paul Jones (1) that led to a general call of volunteers to cover the soldiers that had been sent overseas. It lead to 80,000 Catholic and Protestant Irishmen joining the ranks and to a widespread demand to the British Parliament: Ireland deserved to have its own Parliament, as the Scottish one. The "Constitution of 1782" would see the birth of the Irish Parliament. This peaceful "revolution" was to become the model for many changes in Europe in the following decades (2).

The next storm would break out in the Low Countries in 1870 when Joan Derk, Baron van der Capellen tot den Pol led a popular rebellion against the local aristocracy that caused the fall of the Stadtholder, William V of Orange-Nassau and the creation of the short-lived Batavian Republic (1781-1788), when the Prussian king send his army to support the Stadtholder, who was his brother-in-law. It goes without saying that France could no take a Prussian dominated neighbour to the north of his border and Louis XVII's (2) ministers send his army both to help William V and to keep the Prussian at bay, while the Austrians reinforced their military presence in their Belgian provinces both to protect their provinces and to keep the Prussians and the French ways. Just in time, because the revolutionaries would try to follow the Batavian example in 1787, althought they were viciously crushed.

Ironically, the Batavian Republic would help Poland, as it kept Austria and Prussia too sensitive about any changes in Europe's borders, so the First Polish Republic enjoyed a time of peace and prosperty that was only to be broken in 1793 when the civil war between the pro-Russian conservative Polish magnates, the Confederation of Targowica, and the Polish forces supporting the constitution of 1791 this led to a triple invasion of Poland by Russian, Austrian and Prussian forces that left Poland's lands reduced to a third of its 1791 borders (4). That same year, 1793, Gustav III of Sweden would be murdered by his own noblemen for his absolutist ways (5).

It would a decade after this events when Carlos II of Spain began his version of a "calm revolution" in his own empire.

(1) Too good to miss such an opportunity.
(2) ITTL, the Irish nationalists manage to get united and thus the chance is not missed.
(3) Good old Charles IX (king from 1704 to 1732) was succeded by his son, Louis Henry V (from 1732 to 1749). The next king was Louis XVI (from 1749 to 1765); then Louis XVII (1765-1801).
(4) No Third Partition of Poland, so a small state survives into the 19th century.
(5) Sorry, but no Bernadotte king for Sweden.

Last edited:
Well, my muses are back and I have a slight idea about where to take the next chapters.

While I was unable to think about this, I've spent the time in writting some notes for a small version of one of my favorite chapters of English medieval history. A clue: it has to do with flowers.

39. The Age of Revolutions (1802-1808) -2-
1587913025124.png

María Teresa Josefa de Borbón y Vallabriga, countess of Chinchón.
(1780-1822)

39. The Age of Revolutions (1802-1808) -2-

Carlos II of Spania began to reorganize the administration of his kingdom around himself. Thus, he decided to govern without a prime minister, but this propelled the finance minister, José Moñino y Redondo, earl of Floridablanca, and the minister of the armies, Pedro de Bolea, to be closer to the king and have more influence over state matters out of their posts. Carlos' first step was to reduce the debt and modernize the system of taxation of the Kingdom. The package of reforms was put together by his finance minister Miguel de Múzquiz y Goyeneche, earl of Gausa and was approved by the King and issued in May 1804. For the first time the income from the property of the clergy and the nobility were taxed. It goes without saying that, while the new tax was supported by many, it met immediate and fierce resistance from both the nobility and the church, who rejected it in the Parlamento (Parliament). The King responded by sending to jail the most conspicuous leaders of othe oppposition and demanding immediate approval of the laws, which was reluctantly granted on 19 May. Problems rose when the local Parlamentos of Andalucia and Valencia refused to pass the measures. The king closed dowon the Andalusian Parlamento and dissolved the Valentian. However, the members of the latter refused to do so and took direct control of the province.

Carlos II solved the question by calling back the two Parliaments but only after appointing new Speakers of the houses loyal to him. When its members refused to return, the king began to rule without the approval of the Parliaments. However, the will of the King was not always "his". His first son and heir to the throne, Carlos, was born (4 September 1803), the first of his children (he was to have ten sons born between 1803 and 1813). The constant pregnacies of the Queen led Carlos to look elsehwere and began to pick up his lover between the ladies of the Court. This became soon a problem between the King and his confessor, but it grew to a major problem when Carlos turned his attention to a new lover, María Teresa Josefa de Borbón y Vallabriga, countess of Chinchón. She was related with the French Royal family and soon became the King's confidante and advisor, helping him choose or demote ministers. Her opinions led to the downfall of some very competent ministers, and soon his presence was notorious in the court, much to the displaure to the Prince of Asturias, also named Carlos.

Then, when France invaded Italy in 1806 and trully conquered the whole Peninsula, Carlos II did not react, under the advice of his lover. Even worse, he joined France's side when Louis XVII went to war against Prussia and France in 1808.

Last edited:
Well, dear readers,

I have good news and less good ones.

The bad one.

After much thinking, I admit that I'm unable to go on with this. I feel rather unconfortable about the development of the idea and, frankly speaking, I can't stand as it is now. No matter how much I ponder about it, I cannot ovecome this feeling. I'm absolutely stuck.

The good ones.

-I have just finished the writting of the draft of the small thing mentioned above. A new TL is on the making and it will go out in due time.

-I don't what to let this idea to die like that, so I'm going to go back in time, to chapter 20, and from there I will retell the story. So, stay tunned, because I'll leave here the link for "Regnum Visigothorun Take Two" when it's ready.

Thanks a lot for being there and my apologies for all the nuisances..