Reconstruction: The Second American Revolution - The Sequel to Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid

It would be interesting reading a TL with Eli Whitney not creating the cotton gin, but still going on to create another massive game changing invention. What would be the Northern version of the cotton gin?

Glad to have you on board :) I do think Georgeism is probably going to be a greater force ITTL, but maybe as part of a Populist coalition rather than its guiding light.
:D
agreed but I think Land Value taxes are probaly going to far more common and maybe good ol'Henery George will actually win political office

It would be interesting reading a TL with Eli Whitney not creating the cotton gin, but still going on to create another massive game changing invention. What would be the Northern version of the cotton gin?
The first industrial revolution? You don't need a Northern "cotton gin" when the North itself is the "cotton gin".

The first industrial revolution? You don't need a Northern "cotton gin" when the North itself is the "cotton gin".
Hello,

I would suspect that the next big thing in US industry , especially for the north, is...

I would once again like to suggest Siegel for Texas for some fun interaction with the Texas German community.
So it’s highly unlikely Ord is in any position of power. IOTL when Union forces occupied Jeff Davis’ plantation they found letters Ord had wrote to Davis that were lamenting the fact the Union was “invading” the South and expressing some sympathy with them. Now idk if he still wrote them ITTL but if he did and they’re discovered , he’s gonna have some very uncomfortable questions to answer

And I think Siegel is a good call. A horrible general but his people LOVED him and I have never been able to figure out why lol

Last edited:
So it’s highly unlikely Ord is in any position of power. IOTL when Union forces occupied Jeff Davis’ plantation they found letters Ord had wrote to Davis that were lamenting the fact the Union was “invading” the South and expressing some sympathy with them. Now idk if he still wrote them ITTL but if he did and they’re discovered , he’s gonna have some very uncomfortable questions to answer
IIRC the letters were written pre-war in the 1840s, when Davis was still a Mississippi Senator. The letters were discovered in August 1863, when a Union raiding party found Jefferson Davis’ paper and books in a Southern plantation. Sherman found the letters while perusing Davis’ papers and thought it would be a "real Boomerang letter" and sent the letters to Ord. If found, it would have been career-ending. To be perfectly honest, after doing a review of his career, I found out despite Grant’s and Sherman’s high assessment of Ord, Ord was a fairly mediocre general, only rising to army command because of his political connections and his friendship with Grant and Sherman. Ord frequently requested to be relieved from assignments he did not like and his battlefield performance was nothing impressive - I guess he displayed courage by riding along the front lines but in both occasions was heavily wounded, which potentially cost two Union victories.
The options were either creating districts with commanders overseeing two or more States (Virginia and North Carolina as one was proposed, for example) or just following the war-time example and appointing military governors to each State. The latter is what's being done here.
Huh, since the latter is being implemented, would that mean that the army has more control over what goes on in the states? Of course, Grant ultimately answers to Lincoln, meaning that Lincoln has more control over Reconstruction directly. I think most Republicans would accept it out of inertia but it could lead to some arguments and more directly ties any nasty incidents/failings of Reconstruction directly to Lincoln.

IIRC the letters were written pre-war in the 1840s, when Davis was still a Mississippi Senator. The letters were discovered in August 1863, when a Union raiding party found Jefferson Davis’ paper and books in a Southern plantation. Sherman found the letters while perusing Davis’ papers and thought it would be a "real Boomerang letter" and sent the letters to Ord. If found, it would have been career-ending. To be perfectly honest, after doing a review of his career, I found out despite Grant’s and Sherman’s high assessment of Ord, Ord was a fairly mediocre general, only rising to army command because of his political connections and his friendship with Grant and Sherman. Ord frequently requested to be relieved from assignments he did not like and his battlefield performance was nothing impressive - I guess he displayed courage by riding along the front lines but in both occasions was heavily wounded, which potentially cost two Union victories.

Huh, since the latter is being implemented, would that mean that the army has more control over what goes on in the states? Of course, Grant ultimately answers to Lincoln, meaning that Lincoln has more control over Reconstruction directly. I think most Republicans would accept it out of inertia but it could lead to some arguments and more directly ties any nasty incidents/failings of Reconstruction directly to Lincoln.

Tbh you may be correct in going off memory as well lol. Either way he’s far too conservative to be a military governor for my tastes. Hell let’s have two German radicals as military governors :BRING ME WILLICH!