Rearm the British Infantry for WWII

marathag

Banned
If the .30 cal 'Imperial' round can be made hotter like the Takorev version of the .30 Mauser (aka 7.63 x 25mm) as used in the PPSH and TT-30 pistol then that would be a perfect 'Machine Carbine' round.
Many years ago(1990?), when getting ammo in 30 Mauser was difficult, got a source of imported surplus Polish pistol ammo.
Promptly blew up a broomhandle with it, on the 5th or so round
More investigation of headstamps, it was Polish, and also was their hot loaded stuff for SMG usage.
Woops.

got a source of imported surplus Polish pistol ammo.
More investigation of headstamps, it was Polish, and also was their hot loaded stuff for SMG usage.
Woops.
That's a good argument for handloading if I ever heard one. ;)

marathag

Banned
That's a good argument for handloading if I ever heard one. ;)
Never did find where the extractor flew off to.
But was able to get parts, and the bolt repaired.
Since I had enough of them, spent time bullet pulling and collecting that powder, then replacing at 80%

Handloading is cheap therapy

Driftless

Donor
This probably was plugged in upthread...... How about the British develop their own version of the M-1 Carbine 1938-39-ish. Their own homegrown design, using their own cartridge. I could imagine that its initial "user-group" might be a bit different than what the US first imagined.

Many years ago(1990?), when getting ammo in 30 Mauser was difficult, got a source of imported surplus Polish pistol ammo.
Woops.
Proof if it was ever needed that not all 7.62x25mm is created equally

That must be a hell of a difference between the 2 rounds?

In trials, it worked reliably enough. (Not sure why it wasn't adopted in WW1; war ended? Enough Lewis guns?) It was ugly, but not failure-prone.
War ended. Was planned to be put into service for the 1919 offensive. Jerry threw in the towel a bit early and so it was scrapped, just another in a very long line of equipment that missed out due to one of mankind's stupidest wars ending when it did.

This probably was plugged in upthread...... How about the British develop their own version of the M-1 Carbine 1938-39-ish. Their own homegrown design, using their own cartridge. I could imagine that its initial "user-group" might be a bit different than what the US first imagined.

The Design that screams out at me is the aforementioned BSA-Kiraly Machine carbine in what ever calibre

The Design that screams out at me is the aforementioned BSA-Kiraly Machine carbine in what ever calibre

source british SMG article

BSA-Kir.png

Thats the creature

Apparently 2 versions were made a short and a longer version

The only critique was the overly complicated trigger mechanism

Kiralys next weapon the Hungarian M39 (which is very similar to this weapon) had a simplified trigger mechanism

Slight typo in that - it used 9x25mm Mauser OTL as far as I am aware - but if given the choice I would go with a 'Hot' 7.62x25 Takorev 'spitzer' just don't give any to Marathag ;)

marathag

Banned
but if given the choice I would go with a 'Hot' 7.62x25 Takorev 'spitzer' just don't give any to Marathag
The opposite, the PPsH has a voracious appetite, the need constant feeding. On a quiet night, there is the whisper '....feed me. Feeed meee..' coming from the safe

There's a reason I own a Dillon reloader.