@Andrew Boyd. Here´s my ideas for Southern Pacific.

During the New Deal program of President Roosevelt, many works occur along the US infrastructure systems. On railroads side, on West Coast, the Southern Pacific came if project of new mainline link L.A. to San Francisco and Sacramento, and extended the L.A. – San Diego Air Line. This route became the Ventura Corridor express mainline, use part of San Joaquin Valley Line and based on Northeastern Corridor of PRR.

Begin the construction in 1933, the route are entire complete just before WW2 in 1939, and make one of great engineering projects at the time. On Bay Area, the new massive Bay Terminal Station based on Bauhaus style are built on South Park, on site of old Transbay Terminal from Key System and became the main station for Southern Pacific, Union Pacific, ATSF and for the Key System, together if a new link of Key over the recently-built Golden Gate bridge.

The Ventura Corridor are built in a very modern standart, as trains could run up to 180 kph by late 40s, have concrete ties, C.T.C. and electric sinalization. As way to compete if Union Pacific City of San Francisco and Boston & Western Streamliners, the Southern Pacific launch a new higher speed EMUs use on introduce California Vista service on San Diego – L.A. and San Francisco, as together if existing Daylight that pass to use the corridor. The trainsets are built in cooperation if Pullman and ALCO, as the DSL-30 Higher Speed Units.

xQA3wY-heTKdkNo8SndiiRoquaStjiDToVKP9GWsGYm2AhYSW3e-sFRJUGC3Fe46dBE3247Ma9TFQ9LxMCiSIUi8wuZglp-N3mXq6Q-kyt7B7XgM0estHV4jFYpdWELTrA86Jd3d-uU1FSt-5JpU8lvm9G78w7p_N7F2k8lYwiUsH0W5VdL-oJ_tueX8QYyvWodujAua1ROi-zjRIvDS4rCLYSbBucqHBZicD5X_NM0RB50yoUTX9yn0hbIACiwz91b6x4D0m96Cy1cE4l4jI11XN_TqpbnYnpNSopgFIP48tKHaXS-HPj7vxm76Y3RqKYZQNEgfFj8OrsCh0OAkF3L8HPxSR6X-f-Kp-ccRW8OmVIAvn0_mrIje8LVU6IzclYutG6dx-VttJQ2v4Ft98FXHMvPkLCWHrbD9qqr6I3N_vWrvn994Q-vjM1N3zTGHPxbiBP1B5XC1LTSsQYYJEhJqGpwVF3DZuOdM3Y-1z99ZkWqVfgjq7Csw2SXhyzRwl7ite0xlvY6Q1XHMNF7BuZwNQXMPuiqWaoJUWiu81YC1ZDKYtUu80tfjQMy9erlAa4IGTRfOU838RZcFwtXLGOlhO_TYgJXpL4ETm3V7AfugbC_8qLJTESCm0ZIxuEHFE-GS5-mOaKaWerapTPfUyWtx122RP-xlAhUZ7aP132GSHH_bcuf4K9A=w1366-h157-no

ALCO DSL-30 in Daylight Livery

By 1949, the SP entire Coast Division are electrifield, and SP pass all they commuter and intercity passenger operations to Pacific Electric. For this, P.E. introduce a new streamliner express EMU, built by GE in 1950, the EXS-42 California Vista became the first on a serie of express trains operate on CA by SP and became a vital commuter route until the opening of CAHSR by late 80s. For freight operations, in 1952, SP bought 40 units GE EP-300 "Little Joe", for use on freight and pull the Daylight under the wires.

I7yHAAGld-W-hFMxJ1x70M1pMxxKzeh0tprI1Br7JSMmEzTN4sw3ePRC1J5-mMzqJM57wUE1X9HbvqPO_vxceTmXSolOg4KoVlilykVeKjDz_dtw4CHLLOMGc2mmz5QohAYq6MkX1k1MZ1oSK9v0NIKxiPIFiqGER8785lvyi05hmZxrygLHtKlMZm5q6SNL6ZmABbYoEnS1YDQ42cwv4t9kwgJflNtPezA4DjsHpaDtr5Lr1euBVMBhK_SuAdI9cNFN8Lflzyw9MIZT73ohmhzqjE-kDacWyCTQZB3Q2PHIxvdHJ6xef0FpCxkW2IoowepSsnnvAqtTshudSBjTe487IVB2y8UHaLICytQRPJfhOeZk3-LnzcPRPtUFzflMrFMwj3HV_DwEQwiXhQ9jOy54yrjZklZhXjSWLI1NOw46i8PqAruoQoYVJJjSp-CgBZa0plO1dqf8SeCzNANjhxr4yHorHXrsxlLUMNo_f25Lw8MEQRaaffqjekr5EbhwGioLMUpte53OK1-T8mqSBC8qtfr7Fr-czH5mJoWpE23Nps5Q7VFMtGgcNb7Ou4FDCHKe4x1grUqe80ZHj4IV_RgXsClCsjt_hihfcYpFjV0grpaP4hN7Kpb52sB8z5usLZhbpijMkVTXa_Se9uI__KWfNiPCSL6zuwAt2iY3kbb04_DIrqFX8yk=w1366-h295-no

Little Joe in Daylight Livery

WuFHPQnUFOiY6WZpGQVi4TAo-zTJpsmoougPenUlzd7YYSzQRUlyu_SqaTt-ikMYX-X0aGUe7ax-4Cq9Z-YIpnsoF2x--Z371iAwBNWdvoprE8jnIuNsu90Ox_cka5az0hSTr-BrhKgZbWZMwFGtE99ptSSH_fvZuvaRrkeF99mSbLf8iC6Dxswx1ZrkuYA_zc8OnwnX3bUQ3b1dDH9Pu3rIZqTNT4-q-riWZkmHCw_9022zJ7MZO_xEP1j5b1TXUr2c-_Ni4Qldd4PUwm13YJ_8fKZuXb7xW-bUUy-hdkW4KO_rwdDeyclNVnIHqqgE5ayBvIGoTAzyN__FImsib2Dwbg_MfuuDdAHKsqN-GRJ27mRee9zzd5Q9dHeXLeVypSQHg_cu3AysKOCdvZHbajCz_zMWlwC1HOoiPMgeKSPLxCKQbjgu7CUyvn2ge_hcSgLjxpxdlnOOrn_gAtnxaNCi52W_lv9JNdIsdnzZkHv-DBqohMgJsw6NTrkLb88PC2hSi6Mb0XixfvNjHnBzIAkpzbYSwxLKKe8QN5mAXFJpOyR1aTnjW8u20NLRVHCNAzki5B53Hn8aA3pRPzP1a_5bFJNZFf962iji7zS1GRM1UVua0uwb7CWxB2as9fTaUuJmxcJ1mMKp4PiqqON4f_Wuda5x457bRMozhyBcSysCsIY27vJ5ldE=w1366-h295-no

Little Joe Black Window scheme

tOH0LXT0BrAU1jbUrSGbZfPtBNKRsE7rN5y4IibGrdMth6WKXLdxEJinAAaMyH6LJJVBik-PgMjPBJ2CPyuQAPwJ0m2XSZuFoQ9PuhvQ4q67LI9FK-R28FdbYWlBYc-0zWZ-xtFh0PK5II211ZV1DcoqnM-W9vYPdWJzjRTz-H4BHcM6utmg9AMflF0c0DPA48zhtcfGAY4fnufM42ngid4IL_laRJO3vu-1Q8XU_JNc6As5uxT_dU0wt9vFoG7uBV9CS-blGX3N73BSfsb2HppIeLLc2gz4pfgpdHHQrYcWtCu3xYjsDA9KPo7-QotB6W3DpKGVcvIdUGxCL3h_zxFhk9nl9zWK-06EB52PVyfLOd9DyzY6Y1YDXtPJjhJfKRLwmVBo97uXUvFqHUZsD4y8S3CjKMgKA4ZCzofxvWMQAAEaOi10407KL25QRa7fdr_iTVCIL2qwZXhv8Lg8zMkYghs4KuhOEmaoTyXZszwOWYeRCG3oCNMYmSGGh-mqk4vrZGdUugAl5uUFAUW5_2juY6QmMQP3NjzahGaBgDcP0spjgTB5L5M864yFwqWUwlA3Hhx093YpLjH94--Ikpqb2n8-esMCITc_5FsUgHFACj7y92hTspfLHxllc7MXHwoiI_5QrMQ6D98xPqAmfGVpsBTxYf4gH02-IZWDEvPNmjlpMXdn-sY=w1366-h183-no

GE EXS-42 Streamliner EMU. Consist make of 8-cars, full air-conditioned, Pullman design interiors and top speed ok 200 kph.

In 1956, City of S.F. and Southern Pacific begin talks to what became the today BART, based on the idea for new massive subway system based on L.A. and NYC, if express and commuter service. Together, the Key System network now are part of SP and begin upgrades for light rail operations, as entire route duplication, remove of street running and built of a new 4x Transbay Tunnel in 1960.

1951 - 1961, Southern Pacific upgrade the routes L.A. - Phoenix - El Passo / Sacramento - Ogden / Sacramento - Portland and introduce they higher speed DMUs DXP trainsets on them. These lines are now entire duplicated, if bypass for freights and passenger and permit speeds of 200 kph, make intercity travel common.

c2tbZEjQF6Lip4RSCqLZxGoO4DD7L8oRB69OG7uvpNzk2-VsXRV-E-Kl1WcntfxWLAbRycWymX71RZW6bp3P6RXU7_QBNc-u-wm0Zjefqx0yV1u4J3lye8r4KiTfZhsFPfMDhfGi3MankTTmla5NBPKAf7u7h6O6wTOrSVdUtuBbFIJLZW4uiMQ4jen6OyVJ7vSXiuv3x4kcvKOx9iK9d_lF7Ag_3rQEsrfSRa9M_3bfyIebscHRlMcpev_XSzGKIFi8ZRWBg3A-IYGyWunHBnCyOl9uJIbtnT-RPkeYw2QO8E3mXfs2iKO4lLpHRodswKVP-IcG_AO3U_b0NJXms3izZnak5upQNEWDEFUKudwHSCYppkTChzb8G3aIFKu7tqfEDpae40Bq5PL7izx9gUT_QQinGv68FbcvB0_QUgwivZFHY2s3MK5-HXBLnme_KbKjCnwoyXSGn7UmMZJzxtVyNbAj707k53wrSWZVBPpIdkpgRN_lncPEVAZ_-7STSJciZQDXs2cC1VrlnZEDy8Zoji53b96vwE5nBJjlsyUpnLn837e8izjmafAyi90Whl3PCC4TiOlDFGm_6ApFV627jl4skIVY427rENi5cJtEgxPnQLa2DqP-KzWF4YbNsx_QBuucyY6Ks3yio_W7B580DnQtsE_alAVYaRdHbysv9_aJcfI3rqE=w1366-h157-no

GE DXP-55 Higher Speed Diesel trainset

After the American High Speed Act of 1967, Southern Pacific begin the operations of GE/Budd Electra Trainsets on S.F. - San Diego via L.A. route. The trains are used on Sunshine Commuter service and Hollywood Liner create by SP in early 70s. 1985 begin the construction of California High Speed Rail, a newly route built entire segregated from existing Ventura Corridor, if operation inspired on Shinkansen Bullet Train. The commercial operation CHSR begin in 1993 between San Diego and San Francisco. In 2001, the system are expanded to Phoenix, Sacramento and Las Vegas.

PhjO8XMP5LZwsgrN4KCqZ5ULAqgTI7heMHkkrWsuYvs2Yo8BYzwfJazhBy4Tb7i7Xih3xxohHFOSihRfveQposTMdw5xDUosp4rbWoYkgidnz3nDCo9gC_SeJrL0aSH7ItnQyNKLLOVAzjGKh_Vp_Se5-5qJywaG8A-KaTk6dYO9d9V8nICDf82jmGxCE8_eJDXEIom7RPFU3Pwl5V81iZX1yl8LfiXqjjww2FnCgdhvlnaj6HkeC4ClW8FC8QfgUFWyFeOQAscosm3DokZXiKaWIkS062mV32E7f52hrutz9g_3dYs4s8d3mtBwoIBAN1W-bPTcGexGU41ntysT3je5bzDJk1J_88RS-DAmKfCERdVmGUO4Z0tHHASOXH2-Ok-QUT-9QO5NoVUpkI9vSks_HvP2aR-SHtVdQUvH8VM_gHzlCck-5H6dhjOu6FuiqffsJFRzzZZz8Ct9_3vRjJu5n85XvlB49D-rueykD6bS1DBe4hm1YLHiDfuZSacRtdBhfZXYf4eZCFxMy6Acd6V86Cw6UAPFhC1yJQxIbNNx6sMUP6iAcTqBhA1CbcvTEEfvgAGtT97JxZJC-GAzCo8bcpxfujhDpIYt2-BCjWhSz9itn6KmJkM1iHarLSiplMJWEanmCaaINjdl9pB4jkkOZvntqB7XsblOkNrAjrTQzbgrL9BezyA=w1096-h213-no

First generation of HSR used on CHSR, the XA-100, made by Budd, GE and Hitachi, that are derivated from original Shinkansen Series 100.

@Lucas

If I may interject, I would start SP electrification on the former Central Pacific. After all, that is where steam engines' smoke caused issues back in the day.

Additionally, the railroad still used steam engines at first on the San Diego line so upgrading would be easier. Like JinPeng Pass in China.

Then in the late 1960s, Governor Ronald Reagan works with the SP to create a California rail system akin to OTL's JR model. The SP receives massive tax breaks as long as various maintenance and service standards are maintained. When Reagan eventually becomes president, he applies the same strategy in to create the privatization of Amtrak. Eventually, TTL's JR takes inspiration when things go haywire, and uses the "Amtrak Model" as a way to privatize JR.

In the case of my planned Amtrak, it also helps that ITTL the urban centers of America's east are generally far stronger and more prosperous. Something helped in large part because of Pacific Electric's suburb planning. Which centers it all around a PE depot in what was previously nowhere. Giving suburb dwellers easier access to the city, and generally having the car be for things where the schedule is less tight like day trips. With trains often being preferred for long-distance trips.

I was also thinking that SP electrification would be a transition straight from steam. Which in turn means that there is a large surplus of steam engines, especially Cab Forwards, that are too many to scrap in any short time. Giving preservationists like TTL's Walt Disney and Chuck Jones' National Rail Preservation society, have enough time to save more Cab Forwards and an SP Mountain or two.

Then in the late 1960s, Governor Ronald Reagan works with the SP to create a California rail system akin to OTL's JR model. The SP receives massive tax breaks as long as various maintenance and service standards are maintained. When Reagan eventually becomes president, he applies the same strategy in to create the privatization of Amtrak. Eventually, TTL's JR takes inspiration when things go haywire, and uses the "Amtrak Model" as a way to privatize JR.

That isn't how JR Group works at all, though.

The first scenario is just giving SP a subsidy for passenger operations that serve a public need but aren't profitable enough on their own. California is effectively contracting that service out to SP instead of forming CalTrans by having requirements for service standards as a condition of directly and indirectly subsidized operations.

In the second, there really is no comparison between breaking up JNR into nine operating divisions that all act independently of each other with no central holding company, and were initially capitalized with government investment in their stock, to the government taking over the operation of numerous moribund passenger rail operations across a much larger country.

You can have a system with cool high speed trains, it just won't be like the Japanese system at all.

That isn't how JR Group works at all, though.

The first scenario is just giving SP a subsidy for passenger operations that serve a public need but aren't profitable enough on their own. California is effectively contracting that service out to SP instead of forming CalTrans by having requirements for service standards as a condition of directly and indirectly subsidized operations.

In the second, there really is no comparison between breaking up JNR into nine operating divisions that all act independently of each other with no central holding company, and were initially capitalized with government investment in their stock, to the government taking over the operation of numerous moribund passenger rail operations across a much larger country.

You can have a system with cool high speed trains, it just won't be like the Japanese system at all.
OK. I understand now. Perhaps my idea of state-run regional lines linked by Amtrak would be better after all.

With that in mind, I will say that SP in the east is where I think things will get interesting. Since I already plan to butterfly the ATSF surrendering the SLSF, the Cotton Belt is likely going to be of more value to SP.

Since the TL will be part of a larger one with a pre-1900 POD, I had some more ideas for new rail lines entirely.

The Monon eventually goes through with building to Virginia. Then northeast to Roanoke, where the Virginian is split between them and the NYC with the Monon getting the Roanoke - Norfolk portion.

I don't know how I will have the Amtrak Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, and Northwest operations work. Though I think the idea of something like Amtrak would be best for starting in the 1940s.

Just thought I would let everyone know what I plan for if my RR TL gets back up or is otherwise melded with my USA TL ideas.

Long story short, my ideas for if the ATSF went further with streamlined steam in the vein of 4-6-4 #3460.

Attachments

• Blue Birds.png
    Blue Birds.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 204
Returning to the subject of electrification, I could actually imagining the NYC and PRR competing through this.

Long story short, my idea was that the NYC would electrify the Water Level Route all the way to Chicago starting in the early 1940s. But then, my TL's WW2 takes place and stalls that process until afterwards. The FDR Administration grants handsome subsidies to the railroads for their contributions, and the NYC puts theirs to use on finishing electrification.

Meanwhile, the PRR decides against electrifying the Ft. Wayne division due to how difficult it would be to confront the NYC. Instead, they opt for electrifying the Panhandle line to St. Louis via Columbus and Indianapolis. This proves to be a better venture, and makes the Panhandle one of the most lucrative freight lines in America.

Since I am taking @WaterproofPotatoes' word and having the ATSF escape enough of the 1893 PAnic to keep the SLSF, I was thinking of a new way the MKT could take Frisco's place in BN.

Long story short, the Milwaukee Road opts for the Missouri Pacific as a railroad to acquire. Meanwhile, BN wants to better link itself with the C&S, so an agreement is made where BN gets the MKT if they don't interfere with the MILW+MoPac merger.

Recently, I was poking around the account of an Australian DeviantArt user @TheMann borrowed models from before, and saw some ones I think would be good on US roads.
gt38cu_ac_pic_1_by_dounutcereal_d8k6u9j-fullview.jpg

This locomotive is one I can envision would act as a switcher or power on light freight trains. Especially for a smaller road like the PRR's former N&W lines.

jt5050c_ac_pic_1_by_dounutcereal_d7nkj35-fullview.jpg

This is a A-B-C unit I can easily see operating on a diesel-heavy railroad like my TL's Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, and Santa Fe railroads. Or for matter, by the PRR on N&W lines that are not electrified.​

So far, I have also thought of several specific mainlines I can see being electrified.

New York Central Water Level Route: New York, NY to Chicago via Albany and Buffalo, NY; Cleveland and Toledo, OH; and South Bend, IN

PRR Keystone and Panhandle Divisions: Harrisburg, PA to St. Louis, MO via Pittsburgh, PA; Columbus and Dayton, OH; and Indianapolis and Tere Hautte, IN

So far, I have also thought of several specific mainlines I can see being electrified.

New York Central Water Level Route: New York, NY to Chicago via Albany and Buffalo, NY; Cleveland and Toledo, OH; and South Bend, IN

PRR Keystone and Panhandle Divisions: Harrisburg, PA to St. Louis, MO via Pittsburgh, PA; Columbus and Dayton, OH; and Indianapolis and Tere Hautte, IN

Eventually PRR wires reach Chicago as well?