Question about Britain, Germany, Portugal, Angola and Mozambique as seen from 1912

maverick

Banned
I'd just assume that Goa would go to Britain if such an agreement included Portuguese possessions in Asia. I think it would stand to reason to assume that:

A. Britain's policy to contain Germany's naval capabilities in East Asia would include the Indian Ocean;
B. That Britain would not want a German possession/possible base of operations right next to the Raj;

I'd just assume that Goa would go to Britain if such an agreement included Portuguese possessions in Asia. I think it would stand to reason to assume that:

A. Britain's policy to contain Germany's naval capabilities in East Asia would include the Indian Ocean;
B. That Britain would not want a German possession/possible base of operations right next to the Raj;

Agreed on both counts, but again I feel that this then strengthens Germany in the Atlantic.

I had forgotten before about Sao Tome & Principe, but they could go either way IMO, though British makes slightly more sense I think.

maverick

Banned
Could Britain offer Germany land elsewhere instead of giving them potential bases in the Atlantic?

France did the same, IIRC, giving Germany a considerable deal of land in the Congo in exchange of the Kaiser dropping his pretensions of messing with Morocco.

If Britain was to made such a deal, and I don't know how likely it would have been, I'd assume some land in central Africa could be negotiable, and preferably nothing strategically important like Zanzibar.

Could Britain offer Germany land elsewhere instead of giving them potential bases in the Atlantic?

France did the same, IIRC, giving Germany a considerable deal of land in the Congo in exchange of the Kaiser dropping his pretensions of messing with Morocco.

If Britain was to made such a deal, and I don't know how likely it would have been, I'd assume some land in central Africa could be negotiable, and preferably nothing strategically important like Zanzibar.

What does Britain have that Germany would want? Nigeria and Gold Coast are obvious non-starters, and the Rhodesias are too valuable. I guess that there is Nyasaland, but that seems unlikely as well, given the the partitioning of Portuguese holdings. Although, it could make Nyasa a German lake, so to speak. Maybe the concessions would be in the Pacific?

maverick

Banned
I was thinking about a bigger share in Angola and/or Mozambique.

Not sure about the value of Walvis Bay, British Somaliland or the south-eastern portion of New Guinea, but they could be seen as potential threats to British interests in case of war, especially Somaliland.

Dude, Don Lardo,

why do you sometimes have to carry on like a jerk?

Its getting to the point where I grit my teeth when I see your name in a thread. I know if I read on I'll probably get some good information, but I may get it with a dose of contempt and bad manners.

When that's the case, its unpleasant reading even though its not directed at me.

Last edited:
I was thinking about a bigger share in Angola and/or Mozambique.

Not sure about the value of Walvis Bay, British Somaliland or the south-eastern portion of New Guinea, but they could be seen as potential threats to British interests in case of war, especially Somaliland.

That's a good point too, although the Territory of Papua seems to have been little more than a barrier between the Germans and Australia. Walvis Bay is realistic though, but does not seem enough for Germany to give up Portuguese Guinea and/or Cabo Verde. I too see both Italy and France objecting to a German Somaliland, although, I think that there was some German interest in the region, though I know not why.

maverick

Banned
That's a good point too, although the Territory of Papua seems to have been little more than a barrier between the Germans and Australia. Walvis Bay is realistic though, but does not seem enough for Germany to give up Portuguese Guinea and/or Cabo Verde. I too see both Italy and France objecting to a German Somaliland, although, I think that there was some German interest in the region, though I know not why.

If anything, it's an strategic location. Good place for a naval base/coaling station?

LocationBrSomaliland.png

If anything, it's an strategic location. Good place for a naval base/coaling station?

[IMAGE]

So is Portuguese Guinea, and in the case of Somaliland, both the French and Italians are likely irritated. Besides, the straits are a vital waterway from the British standpoint, so not controlling both sides could be a very big risk.