Sure, but it was not until parliament decided to MAKE that difference with regard to Prince George that there WAS one

There was no legal idea of a "king consort" before that. It was the same as with the aristocracy - if the only legal female heir to a dukedom married, then her husband had the right to claim the title.

Husbands took their wives' inheritance. It never worked the other way
Yes but not dukedoms as those, in England, were agnatic only. Earldoms and lesser titles would be (with the proviso of excluding any letters patent specifying solely agnatic heirs)

However, there's been plenty Queens of England called Elisabeth/Isabella before Elisabeth I, but she's still only the first. And yes, I know there's a difference between a Queen regnant and Queen consort, but could there not then also be a difference between a King regnant and King-consort? There's not really precedent for what to do in such a situation as this.
Everywhere in Europe the best definition for the husband of a ruling Queen/Duchess is King/Duke jure-uxoris not King/Duke Consort meaning who he rule that lands in right of his wife (so he will lose the rulership if she died)

Everywhere in Europe the best definition for the husband of a ruling Queen/Duchess is King/Duke jure-uxoris not King/Duke Consort meaning who he rule that lands in right of his wife (so he will lose the rulership if she died)
No, that's not always what happened. Look at William and Mary, Sigismund of Luxembourg and Mary of Hungary, or Matthew and Marie of Boulogne.

Queen Mary's Heirs
"In 1558, the queen was dead, having passed away in her sleep. The late queen's sister, the Lady Elizabeth who had recently become an abbess, took on the role of regent and ordered the court to go into mourning. Meanwhile, the new king, Philip was crowned. Since he wailed and wept during the coronation ceremony, and refused to sit still, it took much longer than expected. Mary's children were inconsolable over her death and were clad in black outfits throughout their childhood on the order of their father, which soon defined a new era of English fashion. Elizabeth was careful to toe the line between Catholics and Protestants, and had the young king instructed to accept all religions. She wrote frequently to Philip II of Spain, though she didn't take all of his advice."
The triplets of Philip I and Mary I were Europe's most desired matches. The kings of Portugal, France, and Scotland all offered their children forward. Elizabeth selected two potential candidates for her niece's husband: the second son of Henry II of France and Caterina de Medici, Charles, heir presumptive to the French throne. As the firstborn son, Francis II, the new king of France, had already wed the queen of Scotland who had borne him a daughter named Marie. Or her niece's cousin, Sebastian of Portugal. For her nephew Philip, she decided to accept the archduchess Elisabeth of Austria. While for John, she briefly wondered about simply pushing him into the church, but knew that his father would not like that. So, she decided to accept the offer of Francis II and Mary, Queen of Scots to betroth John to their daughter, Marie. Though she was not entirely certain on these options, at least she knew there was a lot of time to potentially change these contracts.

(Look, I know the thread is about Mary I. But..."Queen Mary" can also refer to Mary, Queen of Scots...so...I kind of cheated a bit here.)

No, that's not always what happened. Look at William and Mary, Sigismund of Luxembourg and Mary of Hungary, or Matthew and Marie of Boulogne.
William and Mary were crowned as co-rulers, Boulogne was awarded to Matthew with the annulment when Marie got back in her convent, Sigismund and Mary also were co-rulers (meaning who both rulers in their own right)

William and Mary were crowned as co-rulers, Boulogne was awarded to Matthew with the annulment when Marie got back in her convent, Sigismund and Mary also were co-rulers (meaning who both rulers in their own right)
Ah, OK. So, with Mary dead, Philip of Spain has exactly zero power in England?

Ah, OK. So, with Mary dead, Philip of Spain has exactly zero power in England?
Exactly and that was acknowledged in their wedding contract (well I am not sure if he can be part of the regency council or the main regent but still he will not be King anymore and considering his other lands I doubt who he will be interested in a so active role)

Exactly and that was acknowledged in their wedding contract (well I am not sure if he can be part of the regency council or the main regent but still he will not be King anymore and considering his other lands I doubt who he will be interested in a so active role)
He is the male equivalent of the queen mother. The dowager king who is father to next king. Well, he will probably be fine with this. He can rule England through his son. Are the matches I picked for the children realistic, by the way? I feel like you'd have opinions

He is the male equivalent of the queen mother. The dowager king who is father to next king. Well, he will probably be fine with this. He can rule England through his son. Are the matches I picked for the children realistic, by the way? I feel like you'd have opinions
I think the likeliest match to go on for now would be Marie of France to young Philip. Elisabeth of Austria would become the leading candidate for Philip only once little Marie had a brother. Katherine will likely be engaged to either Rudolf of Austria or Sebastian of Portugal, and they would remain her only potential matches unless either Francis and Mary had a son of good age to be paired with her or Francis die sonless (leaving his daughter as heiress presumptive of her mother in Scotland and Charles as King of France)

I think the likeliest match to go on for now would be Marie of France to young Philip. Elisabeth of Austria would become the leading candidate for Philip only once little Marie had a brother. Katherine will likely be engaged to either Rudolf of Austria or Sebastian of Portugal, and they would remain her only potential matches unless either Francis and Mary had a son of good age to be paired with her or Francis die sonless (leaving his daughter as heiress presumptive of her mother in Scotland and Charles as King of France)
Yeah, I figured that Charles IX would still accede to the throne, so Katherine being paired off to him made sense. While Francis and Mary's daughter, Marie, being with Philip could work. But I figured that if I was taking Charles away from Elisabeth, she needed a husband too lol. So... Marie-Philip, Elisabeth-John, Katherine-Charles?

Yeah, I figured that Charles IX would still accede to the throne, so Katherine being paired off to him made sense. While Francis and Mary's daughter, Marie, being with Philip could work. But I figured that if I was taking Charles away from Elisabeth, she needed a husband too lol. So... Marie-Philip, Elisabeth-John, Katherine-Charles?
John will have the lordship of the Netherlands? Else he is too low for her, meaning who Elisabeth will be the NOT bride of Sebastian of Portugal. Once her father/brother tired to wait for Sebastian I guess a match in Germany (or Italy) would work for her…

Last edited:
John will have the lordship of the Netherlands? Else he is too low for her, meaning who Elisabeth will be the NOT bride of Sebastian of Portugal. Else I guess a match in Germany (or Italy) would work for her…
True...I was thinking of Philip-Elisabeth and Katherine-Charles, but I had no idea on what girl to pair with John. If he gets the Netherlands, then he can perhaps wed Marie (Francis/Mary daughter)

True...I was thinking of Philip-Elisabeth and Katherine-Charles, but I had no idea on what girl to pair with John. If he gets the Netherlands, then he can perhaps wed Marie (Francis/Mary daughter)
If John get the Netherlands he can get Elisabeth, unless Marie has a couple of half-brothers

Queen Mary's Heirs
The triplets of Philip I and Mary I were Europe's most desired matches. The kings of Portugal, France, and Scotland all offered their children forward. Elizabeth selected two potential candidates for her niece's husband: the second son of Henry II of France and Caterina de Medici, Charles, heir presumptive to the French throne. As the firstborn son, Francis II, the new king of France, had already wed the queen of Scotland who had borne him a daughter named Marie. Or her niece's cousin, Sebastian of Portugal. For her nephew Philip, she decided to accept the archduchess Elisabeth of Austria. While for John, she briefly wondered about simply pushing him into the church, but knew that his father would not like that. So, she decided to accept the offer of Francis II and Mary, Queen of Scots to betroth John to their daughter, Marie. Though she was not entirely certain on these options, at least she knew there was a lot of time to potentially change these contracts.

(Look, I know the thread is about Mary I. But..."Queen Mary" can also refer to Mary, Queen of Scots...so...I kind of cheated a bit here.)
The wedding of Don Carlos, the triplets' older half-brother, and the French princess Elisabeth of Valois was celebrated throughout Europe. When Elisabeth became pregnant, such celebrations only continued. Elizabeth wrote a letter of congratulations, which also included an offer for trading relationships to be built. Her role as regent was less demanding now, as she had formed a council, and more than ever she worked from the convent and took advice from her fellow nuns. If one asked Elizabeth Tudor how she felt about this situation, she would truthfully reply that she had accepted it. Though she often wondered what her own reign would be like, she was content with her peaceful life, and she would never try to usurp the throne of her nephew. She, too, had grown up on tales of her grandmother's uncle, the usurper Richard. Besides, she did genuinely love her nephews and niece. Heaven forbid anyone think she would lock them up in a tower! Her niece, Katherine, had recently said her first word: her aunt's name. She was the quickest to speak out of the triplets, the two sons still communicated mainly by crying and screaming.

(Since Philip II already has three male heirs, he does not need to wed Elisabeth. Plus, remarrying to his son's fiancée RIGHT AFTER his loyal wife gave birth to three children? Yeah...that isn't going to go well...plus, the opera "Don Carlos" portrays their relationship in such a tragic manner that, well, I kind of wanted to butterfly a happier ending of sorts for these two. Even IOTL he always treated her kindly despite his descent into madness.)

If Philip had already three sons he has no hurry to remarry and would not be seen as more attractive than his eldest son by the French court so yes, Elisabeth will marry Carlos as originally planned

If Philip had already three sons he has no hurry to remarry and would not be seen as more attractive than his eldest son by the French court so yes, Elisabeth will marry Carlos as originally planned
Yes, so Elisabeth will wed Don Carlos. Well, with her fertility record IOTL, we can only hope for the best...

Queen Mary's Heirs
The wedding of Don Carlos, the triplets' older half-brother, and the French princess Elisabeth of Valois was celebrated throughout Europe. When Elisabeth became pregnant, such celebrations only continued. Elizabeth wrote a letter of congratulations, which also included an offer for trading relationships to be built. Her role as regent was less demanding now, as she had formed a council, and more than ever she worked from the convent and took advice from her fellow nuns. If one asked Elizabeth Tudor how she felt about this situation, she would truthfully reply that she had accepted it. Though she often wondered what her own reign would be like, she was content with her peaceful life, and she would never try to usurp the throne of her nephew. She, too, had grown up on tales of her grandmother's uncle, the usurper Richard. Besides, she did genuinely love her nephews and niece. Heaven forbid anyone think she would lock them up in a tower! Her niece, Katherine, had recently said her first word: her aunt's name. She was the quickest to speak out of the triplets, the two sons still communicated mainly by crying and screaming.

(Since Philip II already has three male heirs, he does not need to wed Elisabeth. Plus, remarrying to his son's fiancée RIGHT AFTER his loyal wife gave birth to three children? Yeah...that isn't going to go well...plus, the opera "Don Carlos" portrays their relationship in such a tragic manner that, well, I kind of wanted to butterfly a happier ending of sorts for these two. Even IOTL he always treated her kindly despite his descent into madness.)
Elisabeth of Valois, too, had given birth to healthy triplets: boys named Charles and Maximilian, and a girl named Claude. This was cause for mass celebrations, again. It was a good year for the Tudor-Habsburgs, as the children were known as. Meanwhile, the regent Elizabeth was puzzling over what she should do with Scotland's unstable religious situation. The regent, Marie of Guise was being threatened by the growing influence of the Scottish Protestants. Although Elizabeth liked the tolerant stance that she took, she also knew that Philip II of Spain did not. Meanwhile, Francis II of France and Mary, Queen of Scots began to display the arms of England in their blazon, causing murmurs of concern.