Queen Mary's Heirs
inspired by: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-children-of-camelot.506739/

"In the last week of April 1555, Elizabeth was released from house arrest and called to court as a witness of the birth, which was expected imminently. Many physicians tended to the queen, and the king Philip was there holding her hand in a rare gesture of solidarity with his wife. Nobody expected what happened. A large baby boy with tufts of red hair across his head came out wailing. The next, a beautiful doe-eyed girl, came out kicking and screaming. Then a final child, a smaller boy than his siblings, but crying at the top of his lungs. They were christened Philip, John and Katherine, with the Lady Elizabeth as their aunt and godmother."

If Mary still dies in 1558, what happens? Who are the children likely to marry? Will the English people accept a half-Spanish King Philip II?

Last edited:
inspired by: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-children-of-camelot.506739/

"In the last week of April 1555, Elizabeth was released from house arrest and called to court as a witness of the birth, which was expected imminently. Many physicians tended to the queen, and the king Philip was there holding her hand in a rare gesture of solidarity with his wife. Nobody expected what happened. A large baby boy with tufts of red hair across his head came out wailing. The next, a beautiful doe-eyed girl, came out kicking and screaming. Then a final child, a smaller boy than his siblings, but crying at the top of his lungs. They were christened Philip, Charles and Katherine, with the Lady Elizabeth as their aunt and godmother."

If Mary still dies in 1558, what happens? Who are the children likely to marry? Will the English people accept a half-Spanish King Philip I?
The second boy would NOT be called Charles as Philip had already a son with that name. Henry or John are far likelier choices for him and little Philip would become King Philip II of England after his mother’s death as Philip I of England was already his father as King jure-uxoris

The second boy would NOT be called Charles as Philip had already a son with that name. Henry or John are far likelier choices for him and little Philip would become King Philip II of England after his mother’s death as Philip I of England was already his father as King jure-uxoris
Ah I'd forgotten Don Carlos was still alive...
John? The first king with that name had a pretty shit reputation, and Mary's relationship with her father was a mess, why would she name her son after him? Although Henry is a likelier choice than John. Was Philip II of Spain acknowledged as I of England when he was married to Mary? I haven't read about it anywhere but it's possible. Then the boy would be Philip II I suppose.

Deleted member 147978

Was Philip II of Spain acknowledged as I of England when he was married to Mary? I haven't read about it anywhere but it's possible. Then the boy would be Philip II I suppose.
He was only King of England and Ireland jure uxoris upon his marriage to "Bloody" Queen Mary.

Ah I'd forgotten Don Carlos was still alive...
John? The first king with that name had a pretty shit reputation, and Mary's relationship with her father was a mess, why would she name her son after him? Although Henry is a likelier choice than John. Was Philip II of Spain acknowledged as I of England when he was married to Mary? I haven't read about it anywhere but it's possible. Then the boy would be Philip II I suppose.
John would be for a lot of shared ancestors between Mary and Philip, plus a name used in Castile, Aragon, Burgundy and England so a pretty likely choice for Mary’s second son (who is not expect to inherit the English crown.

@Carolus: Kings or rulers jure-uxoris are always counted in the numeration so Mary’s husband was Philip I of England

John would be for a lot of shared ancestors between Mary and Philip, plus a name used in Castile, Aragon, Burgundy and England so a pretty likely choice for Mary’s second son (who is not expect to inherit the English crown.

@Carolus: Kings or rulers jure-uxoris are always counted in the numeration so Mary’s husband was Philip I of England
Ah thank you for answering :)

Queen Mary's Heirs

"In the last week of April 1555, Elizabeth was released from house arrest and called to court as a witness of the birth, which was expected imminently. Many physicians tended to the queen, and the king Philip was there holding her hand in a rare gesture of solidarity with his wife. Nobody expected what happened. A large baby boy with tufts of red hair across his head came out wailing. The next, a beautiful doe-eyed girl, came out kicking and screaming. Then a final child, a smaller boy than his siblings, but crying at the top of his lungs. They were christened Philip, John and Katherine, with the Lady Elizabeth as their aunt and godmother."

If Mary still dies in 1558, what happens? Who are the children likely to marry? Will the English people accept a half-Spanish King Philip I?
"Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor wrote a letter of congratulations to his cousin and daughter-in-law. Mary, who knew this was to be her only pregnancy, doted on her children and hired a dozen tutors for each child. Her court marveled at the newfound vitality in their queen, who had become far more good-tempered as a result of her motherhood. Elizabeth had informed her sister of her decision to enter a convent, a decision of which the queen approved. All in all, it was a good time for Mary I. It was not a particularly pleasant time for the Protestant population of England, however, as she considered her three children the sign of God's approval of her actions."

Queen Mary's Heirs
"In 1558, the queen was dead, having passed away in her sleep. The late queen's sister, the Lady Elizabeth who had recently become an abbess, took on the role of regent and ordered the court to go into mourning. Meanwhile, the new king, Philip was crowned. Since he wailed and wept during the coronation ceremony, and refused to sit still, it took much longer than expected. Mary's children were inconsolable over her death and were clad in black outfits throughout their childhood on the order of their father, which soon defined a new era of English fashion. Elizabeth was careful to toe the line between Catholics and Protestants, and had the young king instructed to accept all religions. She wrote frequently to Philip II of Spain, though she didn't take all of his advice."

"In 1558, the queen was dead, having passed away in her sleep. The late queen's sister, the Lady Elizabeth who had recently become an abbess, took on the role of regent and ordered the court to go into mourning. Meanwhile, the new king, Philip was crowned. Since he wailed and wept during the coronation ceremony, and refused to sit still, it took much longer than expected. Mary's children were inconsolable over her death and were clad in black outfits throughout their childhood on the order of their father, which soon defined a new era of English fashion. Elizabeth was careful to toe the line between Catholics and Protestants, and had the young king instructed to accept all religions. She wrote frequently to Philip II of Spain, though she didn't take all of his advice."

If she's an abbess she cannot be a regent.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Using the same name for a son of a different batch is not unknown. I think James III of Scotland did it.

Philip could easily get around it by giving the child a second name, like with Balthazar. Charles Henry could work quite well here.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
He was only King of England and Ireland jure uxoris upon his marriage to "Bloody" Queen Mary.
Philip is counted as King of England, any further Philip would be Philip II. It was not until Queen Anne that this rule was not followed with her Danish husband.

Deleted member 147978

Philip is counted as King of England, any further Philip would be Philip II. It was not until Queen Anne that this rule was not followed with her Danish husband.
Yes, he was King of England but he never hold any executive power as King from what I seen.

However, there's been plenty Queens of England called Elisabeth/Isabella before Elisabeth I, but she's still only the first. And yes, I know there's a difference between a Queen regnant and Queen consort, but could there not then also be a difference between a King regnant and King-consort? There's not really precedent for what to do in such a situation as this.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
However, there's been plenty Queens of England called Elisabeth/Isabella before Elisabeth I, but she's still only the first. And yes, I know there's a difference between a Queen regnant and Queen consort, but could there not then also be a difference between a King regnant and King-consort? There's not really precedent for what to do in such a situation as this.
Sure, but it was not until parliament decided to MAKE that difference with regard to Prince George that there WAS one

There was no legal idea of a "king consort" before that. It was the same as with the aristocracy - if the only legal female heir to a dukedom married, then her husband had the right to claim the title.

Husbands took their wives' inheritance. It never worked the other way