Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

I saw a map of what Menelik II claimed in eastern Sudan in 1891, but it's only accessible by a JSTOR PDF, can someone post it in high quality.
I posted it some eleven pages back:

Is the problem not being able to access the PDF or not being able to find a higher-quality version of the image?
I forgot it was posted here lmao

Also, was there any legitimacy to the KGC having Maximillian of Mexico as their leader? Or has this been made a trope by us Alt Historians?

So supposedly one of the reasons Rwanda was involved in the First and Second Congo Wars was the desire to create a "Greater Rwanda", an irridentist vision dominated by ideas of historic Rwandan expansion into neighboring areas. While I could not find any maps, using the few ressources which I could find in English (the article "Bringing History Back In: Past, Present, And Conflict In Rwanda And The Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo" by Gillian Mathys and "In the Aftermath of Genocide: the U.S. Role in Rwanda" by Robert E. Gribbin), I could at least deduce that Rwanda at least half-heartedly claimed at the very least Bukavu south of Lake Kivu, as well as the Virunga Mountains up to roughly Lake Edward. Again, the sources seem to be scarce and Rwanda never really pushed for it, but it would be fascinating to see if there are more detailed sources on this.

So supposedly one of the reasons Rwanda was involved in the First and Second Congo Wars was the desire to create a "Greater Rwanda", an irridentist vision dominated by ideas of historic Rwandan expansion into neighboring areas. While I could not find any maps, using the few ressources which I could find in English (the article "Bringing History Back In: Past, Present, And Conflict In Rwanda And The Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo" by Gillian Mathys and "In the Aftermath of Genocide: the U.S. Role in Rwanda" by Robert E. Gribbin), I could at least deduce that Rwanda at least half-heartedly claimed at the very least Bukavu south of Lake Kivu, as well as the Virunga Mountains up to roughly Lake Edward. Again, the sources seem to be scarce and Rwanda never really pushed for it, but it would be fascinating to see if there are more detailed sources on this.
Greater Rwanda.png

So, the Black Dragon Society were Japanese (ultra)-nationalists, but they also genuinely believed in Pan-Asianism. Japan would be the first among equals of course, but for them Pan-Asianism wasn't just a turn of phrase to justify Japan imperializing the rest of Asia.

In 1907 they suggested Japan create an uber-Korea as an ally...

...but that obviously didn't pan out. In 1923 they pushed for the creation of a Japanese puppet state in the Russian Far-East, that would have been populated largely by Korean settlers and may have even had the former Korean royal family as heads of state.

Sources: 大正日日新聞, March-April 1926, https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/kokusaiseiji1957/1982/71/1982_71_93/_article/-char/ja/, I also have access to a .pdf if anyone can read Japanese and wants to verify themselves.

Last edited:
So, the Black Dragon Society were Japanese (ultra)-nationalists, but they also genuinely believed in Pan-Asianism. Japan would be the first among equals of course, but for them Pan-Asianism wasn't just a turn of phrase to justify Japan imperializing the rest of Asia.

...but that obviously didn't pan out. In 1923 they pushed for the creation of a Japanese puppet state in the Russian Far-East, that would have been populated largely by Korean settlers and may have even had the former Korean royal family as heads of state. I think they might have called it the Kingdom of Shen or Shenyang.
but doesn't that text say greater korea/goryeo?

@Crying wont be second map more like Greater Manchuria? (at least in geographic sense... population wise it may have more koreans, or chinese, than manchus...)
Otherwise, thanks! Hopefully I use it one day :evilsmile:

...but that obviously didn't pan out. In 1923 they pushed for the creation of a Japanese puppet state in the Russian Far-East, that would have been populated largely by Korean settlers and may have even had the former Korean royal family as heads of state.

Sources: 大正日日新聞, March-April 1926, https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/kokusaiseiji1957/1982/71/1982_71_93/_article/-char/ja/, I also have access to a .pdf if anyone can read Japanese and wants to verify themselves.
For a group of ultra-nationalists for a country that's been fighting Korea for centuries, they're awful friendly with the place. No wonder they never took off.

@Crying wont be second map more like Greater Manchuria? (at least in geographic sense... population wise it may have more koreans, or chinese, than manchus...)
Otherwise, thanks! Hopefully I use it one day :evilsmile:
As I understand it the Russian Far East (for lack of a better term; it's what most of that area was back then and is right now) had a significant Korean population, at least in the late 19th century, so it's not totally baseless.

Tonight I learned that Katanga almost joined the Central African Federation around 1960:
1610770174500.png

Edit 1: And later, Mozambique was considered too:
1610771180699.png

Not only would this enlarged Central African Federation be a regional power, but a "brother" to Apartheid South Africa.
Edit 2: "Brother" as in being implored internationally for its treatment of Blacks.

Last edited:
Tonight I learned that Katanga almost joined the Central African Federation around 1960:
View attachment 616961
Edit 1: And later, Mozambique was considered too:
View attachment 616966
Not only would this enlarged Central African Federation be a regional power, but a "brother" to Apartheid South Africa.
Edit 2: "Brother" as in being implored internationally for its treatment of Blacks.

And a map of what that would look like for 1960 in the wake of Congolese independence (and assuming South Kasai secessionism somewhat supported by the Belgians as in OTL):

1610812092895.png

So apparently, Argentina and Uruguay in the 1830's were eyeing intra-Brazilian separatist disturbances in its southernmost province with interest:

At the juncture of the 1830s, Rosas and Oribe saw in the "farroupilhas" an instrument to divide Brazil. In the early years of the insurrection, the Buenos Aires government devised plans with the intention of transforming the political profile of southern America. For some exponents of Brazilian historiography, Rosas' support for the farroupilha movement was intended to take possession of the Rio-Grandense Republic “as soon as the separation was consummated” in relation to Brazil. Several power projects were conceived. Among them, there were talks for the "formation of a Confederation, constituted by Rio Grande, Santa Catarina, Uruguay and Argentine Mesopotamia” (GOLIN, 2002, p. 343). (Translated)

Last edited: