Testimonial: Valerie Alvarado, MSFC
“Those were a tough couple of months. I say months - it felt more like a couple years. And just a lot of long nights. You can ask my husband, he’s getting ready for bed and I’m still at my desk, writing emails…

“We were nervous, all of us were. It was like a big anvil cloud hanging over everyone. Here was, really, the flagship vehicle of the program, and the whole idea that this, Ares II, even this engine, was the backbone of everything. And we felt like, was all of it at stake here? There was talk at headquarters about decrewing station if we couldn’t get Orion flying again, and all of it hinged on the flight five investigation.

“Well, ultimately, I think the outcome was the best it could have been. I mean, you never want a situation like this to begin with, but what we saw was that our failure mode, really, was isolated to Ares II, and we all breathed such a sigh of relief. And that meant we could get Orion back in the air, we could get back to doing rotations. And we still lost some sleep getting the feed issue resolved, but I think it really validated the whole concept of this architecture. That decision to separate your crew, your astronauts, from your cargo - and that goes back to Augustine, goes back to the ESAS people. It was a tough situation, but I think it was a win, in the big picture, for a choice made all the way back at the beginning.”

Valerie Alvarado, MSFC

Hello! I've got a fun little spaceflight alternate history project that's been in the works for some time, and I thought it could be interesting to post some content here and see how it does.

The title might offer you a hint at the overall idea of this timeline. My end goal right now is just to produce a single "white paper" document that covers the major story beats from the perspective of a specific piece of the puzzle. But while I work on getting that document done, which will be maybe a few pages at most, I thought it could be fun to have a thread going where I can drop little nuggets and spinoffs as I think of them.

Some of y'all who know me elsewhere will know what's going on, but I might encourage you to keep it sealed over here just because I'm curious to see people's response as information is revealed. I'll add a disclaimer for the more experienced members of this forum that the foundation of this story is pretty silly, and my challenge was to see what kind of narrative I could build up around a fundamentally unlikely premise.

That said, have fun, and I'll see you soon for the next bit, whatever that may be!

- Beverly

Oh what a neat concept! I'm super excited to see your voice applied to such a unique lens, and I can't wait to explore this world of Ares II...

Press Release: RS-25 Integrated Ignition Testing
NASA - NOVEMBER 22, 2012:

NASA teams have concluded the final round of RS-25 integrated ignition testing, marking a major milestone in the development of the agency’s Ares launch vehicles. These upgraded engines will help power future Constellation missions to destinations in deep space.

The test series was conducted on the A-1 test stand at NASA’s Stennis Space Center, near Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. Operators tested the advanced engines, designated RS-25E, for up to 410 seconds, longer than the approximately six minutes they will be used during flights of Ares I and Ares II. The test series demonstrated the engines’ ability to start without the assistance of ground support equipment, enabling their use as an upper stage engine to support the Constellation program. Operators also conducted several full-duration tests at the 111% power level required for early flights of Ares II.

The conclusion of the integrated ignition test series is a key accomplishment for lead RS-25 contractor Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne. In addition to air-start and restart capability, the tests validated several new components and manufacturing improvements introduced to help streamline production, reducing the time and cost needed to build each engine. One engine will help power Ares I and Orion into orbit, while two high-power engines will be used for each flight of the Ares II cargo vehicle.

Through the Constellation program, NASA is restoring U.S. crew launch capability to the International Space Station and sending humans farther into deep space than ever before. The Ares launch vehicles, Orion, and Exploration Elements are enabling the next generation of human spaceflight for the benefit of all.

I have a few write-ups like this one formatted as press releases, which I find an especially fun medium for sharing story tidbits.

- Beverly

The Ares launch vehicles, Orion, and Exploration Elements are enabling the next generation of human spaceflight for the benefit of all.
Exploration Elements eh? Could this be something like the EM era we saw between the wind down of Constellation and establishment of Artemis?