Greats update assuming that the French army will be in a little disarray and what does Bismarck think of all this?
The Revolution will certainly pose a problem for the French Army, a few Orleanists like the duc d'Isly and the duc de Nemours are presently in high ranking positions in the Armee du Nord and there are many others scattered throughout the lower ranks and military bureaucracy of the French Army. Supplies and communications will also be disrupted a bit as the new Government attempts to establish itself in Paris. Then there's Napoleon II...

Bismarck is certainly looking on at the ongoing events in France with interest, but his focus is on Prussia right now. Like France, Prussia is suffering from a bit of an economic recession and like France, Prussia is dealing with a highly agitated population demanding greater reform and liberalization. While these issues have been mostly kept in check thus far, the revolution in France will likely cause some problems for Prussia going forward.

So at a moment, Greece is a beacon of prosperity and stability in eastern Europe making it a attractive place for immigrants yes the majority will go to other places but for many places greece will be a dream compared to other places and i expet teh greece will welcome them needing all the help they can get thoughts

See, the Habsburg part is the biggy. Dig in there somewhere and I'm positive you'll find a connection.
Everyone in Europe connected, even if you have to go all the way up to Charlemagne to get the missing link. The point isn't there.
Napoleon II isn't a close relative of Victoria.

See, the Habsburg part is the biggy. Dig in there somewhere and I'm positive you'll find a connection.
Everyone in Europe connected, even if you have to go all the way up to Charlemagne to get the missing link. The point isn't there.
Napoleon II isn't a close relative of Victoria.
Hell, even I am related to Queen Victoria, not too sure about a Hapsburg relation though.:p

There may be something better than this, but the closest connection I could find between them right now is Augustus the Younger, Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg (b. 1579, d. 1666) through his sons Anton Ulrich for Napoleon II and Ferdinand Albert for Queen Victoria. If I'm counting this right, he is the Great, Great Great, Great, Great, Great Grand Father of Napoleon II and the Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather of Queen Victoria so there is in fact a family connection between them, albeit a rather thin one that borders on irrelevant.

So at a moment, Greece is a beacon of prosperity and stability in eastern Europe making it a attractive place for immigrants yes the majority will go to other places but for many places greece will be a dream compared to other places and i expet teh greece will welcome them needing all the help they can get thoughts
It's possible that the improved economic and political situation in Greece could attract a few 48ers to Greece ITTL, they already received a few from Sicily and Naples, but we shall have to wait and see how it turns out in Germany, Italy, the Balkans etc.

Last edited:
It's possible that the improved economic and political situation in Greece could attract a few 48ers to Greece ITTL, they already received a few from Sicily and Naples, but we shall have to wait and see how it turns out in Germany, Italy, the Balkans etc.

Some went there OTL, even under Otto, Greece was one of the few places to accept refugees from the Italian and Hungarian revolutions. I expect the same to happen ATL as well.

formion

Banned

The Greek merchant communities in Triesti and Vienna have been mentioned already in the timeline. Another point of contact between Greece and the Hapsburg Empire were the four main greek merchant communities in the Hungarian part of the empire: Zemun, Novi Sad, Orsova, Temesvar, with perhaps Zemun (Semlin) as the most important of the four.

Source:
https://books.google.nl/books?id=lIpECgAAQBAJ&pg=PT282&lpg=PT282&dq=semlin+greek+merchants&source=bl&ots=wwnfMvWAcZ&sig=e5AwOG6gqEroTF29COGQt8lmc5k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwir8d_xgK7eAhUOa1AKHXLMBw8Q6AEwAXoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=semlin greek merchants&f=false

I m not sure how stronger are the commercial ties in TTL but I would guess that they are not weaker than in OTL. In general, it seems that the merchant/capitalist class is also a bit stronger in TTL Greece.

Furthermore, I think it is more than the financial stability of the Greek Kingdom: it is more about its kinda liberal Constitution. To have ITTL a constitutional monarchy with a rather progressive king is a big deal for a lot of the 1848 refugees.

Hell, eve

Some went there OTL, even under Otto, Greece was one of the few places to accept refugees from the Italian and Hungarian revolutions. I expect the same to happen ATL as well.

The Greek merchant communities in Triesti and Vienna have been mentioned already in the timeline. Another point of contact between Greece and the Hapsburg Empire were the four main greek merchant communities in the Hungarian part of the empire: Zemun, Novi Sad, Orsova, Temesvar, with perhaps Zemun (Semlin) as the most important of the four.

Source:
https://books.google.nl/books?id=lIpECgAAQBAJ&pg=PT282&lpg=PT282&dq=semlin+greek+merchants&source=bl&ots=wwnfMvWAcZ&sig=e5AwOG6gqEroTF29COGQt8lmc5k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwir8d_xgK7eAhUOa1AKHXLMBw8Q6AEwAXoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=semlin greek merchants&f=false

I m not sure how stronger are the commercial ties in TTL but I would guess that they are not weaker than in OTL. In general, it seems that the merchant/capitalist class is also a bit stronger in TTL Greece.

Furthermore, I think it is more than the financial stability of the Greek Kingdom: it is more about its kinda liberal Constitution. To have ITTL a constitutional monarchy with a rather progressive king is a big deal for a lot of the 1848 refugees.
is it possible for the Greek government to encourage these efforts causing a wave of people fleeing to Greece ti find a liberal government that somewhat respect them. Could these immigrants especially the Greek one be welcomed for there valuable skills?

formion

Banned
is it possible for the Greek government to encourage these efforts causing a wave of people fleeing to Greece ti find a liberal government that somewhat respect them. Could these immigrants especially the Greek one be welcomed for there valuable skills?

Well, I don't think that it is diplomatically sound to accept the most prominent revolutionaries. USA and Latin America were either an economic powerhouse on the rise or far away from the european monarchies. Greece depends on said monarchies both in terms of diplomacy and trade. It would be a similar case to that of the count of Santa Rosa during the Greek War of Independence. However, lots of either minor revolutionaries or simply political dissidents wouldn't make any big hustle.

Furthermore, the 48ers included valuable human capital: middle-class professionals - doctors, artisans, engineers, musicians and many professional soldiers who made illustrious careers in the Union Army and other militaries. It depends on the political will of the King and the ruling party whether they try to offer shelter to 48ers. In any case , nothing beats the USA as an immigrant destination - I would expect the majority of political refugees to end up here as in OTL.

Dementor

Banned
As I've already said myself the figure, as coming from Carolides, is most probably an overestimation. This doesn't mean it was any less believed at the time. I'll also note that to use your second link, if you read further down on it Vladimir Teplov was giving for the sanjak of Phillipoupolis in 1877 a number of 382,500 Bulgarians out of 628,770 non Muslims. Now if we are to take the 1884 census at face value, Armenians and Jews are 8,847. So a contemporary Russian diplomat points to 237,423 Greeks (or patriarchics if you will?) in 1877? This does explain the number but it still looks too high.
This is I fear the danger of relying on Wikipedia without checking the sources tit uses. The table was made by combining two sources: Teplov's report and the Ottoman interpretation of his figures, obviously a very dubious way to interpret data, not to mention something that would not be available at the time.

On the reverse the figure of the 1884 census, done with an administration clearly dominated by the Bulgarian side and with elements of the international supervision having its own axes to grind looks towards the low end I think. It gives 53,000. The patriarchate estimates for 1906 was about 100,000 which does appear reasonable given the 49,000 Greeks that left Bulgaria under the population exchange post Neully and the larger number that had already fled Bulgaria after the 1906 pogroms against them. (12,000 reached Greece only in 1907 and several thousands the previous year) Sort of doubt the Greek population had much increased between the independence of Bulgaria and 1906. I'd also say that its a reasonable assumption that some people that were patriarchics before 1878, switched sides afterwards.
It's possible of course that the Eastern Rumelian census was biased in favor of the Bulgarians, though I haven't seen definite evidence or opinion to confirm this (and as I said, it was the only Bulgarian census that used the nationality definition favored by the Greeks). And if it should be suspected of pro-Bulgarian sympathies just on account of Eastern Rumelia being dominated by Bulgarians, so should the Patriarchate be suspected of pro-Greek sympathies. Your example in shows that at least concerning the later censuses figures the number is at most between that of the figures claimed by the Patriarchate and the Bulgarian census, though closer to the later, when considering the number of Greeks who left Bulgaria between 1906 and 1926: considering that the number of Greeks who left Bulgaria were about 60-70 thousand, the figures of the Patriarchate would leave about 20-30 thousand Greeks unaccounted for.

Of course I agree this was largely irrelevant to Greek attitudes or to British attitudes for that matter, who uses Greek claims as an excuse to create Eastern Rumelia in the first place...

Last edited: