I'm not surprised that Leopold would be somewhat scummy behind closed doors, but I am surprised at just how much. Tarnished the monarchy indeed. Kinda puts a slightly different view on Constantine's ambitions for byzantine titles, that's not a line founded by his shitty dad after all.

You alluded that Leo Miaoulis would have a notable future, do you have anything else planned for the other half-siblings?

Whether they would weather the next crisis was anyone’s guess.

Next Time: The Abyssinia Adventure
That's going to be about the British 'expedition' in 1867-8 or some variant of it isn't it? I can't imagine the Greeks jumping on the colonialism train at this point, certainly not for such a large area. Why would they be involved there though, trade ties? Playing piss off the ottomans?

This is quite interesting really, and I think even though Alexander would be the better king (Constantine has way too much daddy issues) this seems to pave the way for Constantine to move to the throne. The Abyssinia Adventure is a bit weird considering where it is. Tbf Africa is a money sink.
I'm not surprised that Leopold would be somewhat scummy behind closed doors, but I am surprised at just how much. Tarnished the monarchy indeed. Kinda puts a slightly different view on Constantine's ambitions for byzantine titles, that's not a line founded by his shitty dad after all.

You alluded that Leo Miaoulis would have a notable future, do you have anything else planned for the other half-siblings?

That's going to be about the British 'expedition' in 1867-8 or some variant of it isn't it? I can't imagine the Greeks jumping on the colonialism train at this point, certainly not for such a large area. Why would they be involved there though, trade ties? Playing piss off the ottomans?
I should probably preface this by saying that the parts of this chapter are based off of some incidents in OTL. Following the death of Prince Albert in 1861, Leopold traveled to London to meet with the mourning Queen Victoria. However, he quickly fell ill and was forced to hole up with his mistress in one of Victoria's manors for a couple weeks before returning to Belgium - without seeing Victoria. It was definitely not a good look on his part in OTL and it definitely isn't a good look here either.

The incident with Andreas Miaoulis, however, is entirely conjecture. While he did certainly kill himself in OTL, by jumping from a balcony; there isn't really any evidence that it was brought about by an extramarital affair by his wife - at least to my knowledge. If that was the case in OTL, then that's an unfortunate coincidence on my part. It does seem to indicate that he had some mental health issues which I expanded upon here for dramatic effect.

Also, Leopold I did in fact have several children from extramarital affairs, at least two that we know of from his longtime mistress Arcadie Claret (George and Arthur von Eppinghoven). Both would be raised in Laeken alongside Leopold's legitimate children and both would have careers in the military. Arthur would even become Aide de Camp for his cousin once removed, King Ferdinand of Bulgaria. Leopold's other children ITTL will have minor roles going forward, but it will probably be some time before they appear again as they are basically still children at this point and Leopold will be dying here rather shortly.

I'm not intentionally trying to bash Leopold of Saxe Coburg and Gotha; he was a talented cavalry officer, a good diplomat, and a brilliant statesman; but he also happens to be an incredibly complex person with many, and I mean MANY personal faults. I should also mention that the death of Princess Charlotte and their son truly devastated him and I'd go so far as to say he never really recovered in OTL or here for that matter.

Regarding the next chapter, I was playing around with the order of events coming up and left that chapter there as a place holder and forgot to change it accordingly before I posted this. :coldsweat: There will be an update on Ethiopia coming eventually, but it won't be coming up next.

Last edited:
Does anybody else smell that? That mix of nostalgia and blood? We have competent illegitimate children and a future king who is of questionable skill? Nothing says the Byzantine Empire is back like a civil war lmao.

Honestly I doubt it actually happens but if the last European civil war between two different royal candidates occurred in a revived Byzantine Empire, it would almost be poetic.

Over all the last few updates have really driven home what a flawed man Leopold really is/was in TTL and OTL. We’ve all focused on him being good administrator with a level head. The charismatic leader with great connections. Which as all been great for Greece. Now we’ve all seen what a terrible father and husband he is. And for better or worse that’s what’s molded Constantine into the man he’ll be as king. Leopold’s biggest failings have shaped Greece’s future. I have a suspicion that Leopold’s parenting is going to be heavily criticized by scholars depend On what Constantine’s failures are.

So we're edging closer and closer to Leo's succession, can't wait to see what shenanigans Constantine gets up to as king what with his biiiiiig daddy issues

Does anybody else smell that? That mix of nostalgia and blood? We have competent illegitimate children and a future king who is of questionable skill? Nothing says the Byzantine Empire is back like a civil war lmao.
Greece is a constitutional monarchy. If the king or any royal gets ideas... it did not go very well for the royals of OTL who got ideas.

Honestly I doubt it actually happens but if the last European civil war between two different royal candidates occurred in a revived Byzantine Empire, it would almost be poetic.

Over all the last few updates have really driven home what a flawed man Leopold really is/was in TTL and OTL. We’ve all focused on him being good administrator with a level head. The charismatic leader with great connections. Which as all been great for Greece. Now we’ve all seen what a terrible father and husband he is. And for better or worse that’s what’s molded Constantine into the man he’ll be as king. Leopold’s biggest failings have shaped Greece’s future. I have a suspicion that Leopold’s parenting is going to be heavily criticized by scholars depend On what Constantine’s failures are.
Constantine can keep to his constitutional role of... ribbon cutting or he can get ideas and pay for them.

Interestingly enough while the English wikipedia claims Foteini Mauromichali was Otto's only confirmed affair, Greek wikipedia has nothing of the short instead it says she was forced out of the palace due to a political scandal, likely the assassination of minister of religious affairs Korfiotakis by a Mauromichalis client, but was then reinstated by Amalia to the court. Which seems to me unlikely if she had an affair with Otto, Amalia was notoriously strict in such matters and not exactly prone at complying with Otto's wishes. Further the Mauromichalis combined being what amounted to being feudal lords with blood feudism which would be making such an affair... uhm unhealthy even for a king?

The source of the story is apparently the writing of a Catherine Lund lady in waiting of Amalia. Dunno if I'm willing to take it at face value, I've found at least one contemporary source from the time of Foteini's death hinting between the lines that Otto made a move only to be turned down. Dunno if I want to take THAT at face value as well of course.

1656450227670.png

Greece is a constitutional monarchy. If the king or any royal gets ideas... it did not go very well for the royals of OTL who got ideas.

Constantine can keep to his constitutional role of... ribbon cutting or he can get ideas and pay for them.

In this timeline, the King of Greece has more powers than merely being a ribbon-cutter - the monarch is also the Commander in Chief, and Leo I actually took personal control over the army in an earlier crisis (meaning that precedent has been set - and I suspect Constantine will be more than happy to try to one-up his Father there), makes judiciary and gubernatorial appointments (though they are confirmed by the Senate) and also oversees the cabinet (though the Prime Minister is the head of the Cabinet as well as the Head of Government).

So, though Constantine will certainly be no absolute monarch (perish the thought!) he won't expect, nor be expected, to be a powerless figurehead either.

Long live Constantine XII, Emperor of the Romans
We're getting there, just one more chapter and then....

So we're edging closer and closer to Leo's succession, can't wait to see what shenanigans Constantine gets up to as king what with his biiiiiig daddy issues

Constantine is certainly competent, but when compared to his more talented siblings its hard not to look average at best. He will have his moments of greatness, but also his moments of idiocy and lunacy as well. He is human after all.;):evilsmile:

Interestingly enough while the English wikipedia claims Foteini Mauromichali was Otto's only confirmed affair, Greek wikipedia has nothing of the short instead it says she was forced out of the palace due to a political scandal, likely the assassination of minister of religious affairs Korfiotakis by a Mauromichalis client, but was then reinstated by Amalia to the court. Which seems to me unlikely if she had an affair with Otto, Amalia was notoriously strict in such matters and not exactly prone at complying with Otto's wishes. Further the Mauromichalis combined being what amounted to being feudal lords with blood feudism which would be making such an affair... uhm unhealthy even for a king?

The source of the story is apparently the writing of a Catherine Lund lady in waiting of Amalia. Dunno if I'm willing to take it at face value, I've found at least one contemporary source from the time of Foteini's death hinting between the lines that Otto made a move only to be turned down. Dunno if I want to take THAT at face value as well of course.

View attachment 754299
What is Jane Digby up to in this timeline?
In hind sight, I probably should have used someone else as Leopold's "mistress", such as Lady Jane Digby. I might consider rewriting this chapter, switching out Fotini for Jane, and starting the affair back in the early 1830's around the same time she went to Greece in OTL. They have a fling together for several months, but once it becomes clear that Leopold won't marry her, she leaves him and to all it would appear that the matter has ended. However, years later, she returns with a young boy/man who looks a lot like Leopold. Then antics ensue and things go poorly for Leopold.

Found an interesting map on Reddit:

hw3el3fgsi891.png
Greece's borders aside

This is genuinely hilarious routing
'Pelopannese island' it's more than just the routing that's hilarious 😂
Well it not connected to the mainland any more
Its certainly interesting to look at, but it definitely has some issues. For reference, here are the current Railway maps of both Greece and Turkey.
Railway_map_of_Greece.png
Rail_transport_map_of_Turkey-m.png
There are definitely some similarities between these maps and the ATL map posted above, particularly the more coastal routes in Eastern Macedonia and Thrace (although that detour up to Adrianople seems a bit superfluous for the main line). However, in my opinion it definitely loses focus in Epirus, Asia Minor, and the Peloponnese.
For one, I don't think a major railway would run through Epirus as the region is far too mountainous to really make such a project viable. I mean, it can be done, but its expenses would be massive and likely outweigh whatever benefits they envision given the low population of the region and the number of good quality ports in the region. Instead, I think they'd be better served by a direct line connecting Lamia to Larissa (with a secondary line connecting the port of Volos). Another issue I have is with the Peloponnnese as a line running along the Northern coast of the Peloponnese from Athens to Corinth to Patras makes more sense than the Athens to Kalamata to Olympia to Patras line depicted above. Granted, I think the line running down to Kalamata makes some sense, but I'd probably have it be a part of a loop around the entire Peloponnese as per OTL. Now the railway in Asia Minor just seems silly. Granted, I'm not an expert on the geography of the Aegean coast of Anatolia so I don't know if this would be a viable railway route, but it definitely looks hectic to say the least.

Also, I'll be posting the next chapter either later today or sometime tomorrow. Its a bit on the shorter side, but I'm trying something new here so I hope you all will bare with me.

I could see her just as easily not going to Greece in this timeline as I assumed it was the Wittelsbach connection that got her there in the first place.

We're getting there, just one more chapter and then....

Constantine is certainly competent, but when compared to his more talented siblings its hard not to look average at best. He will have his moments of greatness, but also his moments of idiocy and lunacy as well. He is human after all.;):evilsmile:

In hind sight, I probably should have used someone else as Leopold's "mistress", such as Lady Jane Digby. I might consider rewriting this chapter, switching out Fotini for Jane, and starting the affair back in the early 1830's around the same time she went to Greece in OTL. They have a fling together for several months, but once it becomes clear that Leopold won't marry her, she leaves him and to all it would appear that the matter has ended. However, years later, she returns with a young boy/man who looks a lot like Leopold. Then antics ensue and things go poorly for Leopold.

Its certainly interesting to look at, but it definitely has some issues. For reference, here are the current Railway maps of both Greece and Turkey.
Railway_map_of_Greece.png
Rail_transport_map_of_Turkey-m.png
There are definitely some similarities between these maps and the ATL map posted above, particularly the more coastal routes in Eastern Macedonia and Thrace (although that detour up to Adrianople seems a bit superfluous for the main line). However, in my opinion it definitely loses focus in Epirus, Asia Minor, and the Peloponnese.
For one, I don't think a major railway would run through Epirus as the region is far too mountainous to really make such a project viable. I mean, it can be done, but its expenses would be massive and likely outweigh whatever benefits they envision given the low population of the region and the number of good quality ports in the region. Instead, I think they'd be better served by a direct line connecting Lamia to Larissa (with a secondary line connecting the port of Volos). Another issue I have is with the Peloponnnese as a line running along the Northern coast of the Peloponnese from Athens to Corinth to Patras makes more sense than the Athens to Kalamata to Olympia to Patras line depicted above. Granted, I think the line running down to Kalamata makes some sense, but I'd probably have it be a part of a loop around the entire Peloponnese as per OTL. Now the railway in Asia Minor just seems silly. Granted, I'm not an expert on the geography of the Aegean coast of Anatolia so I don't know if this would be a viable railway route, but it definitely looks hectic to say the least.

Also, I'll be posting the next chapter either later today or sometime tomorrow. Its a bit on the shorter side, but I'm trying something new here so I hope you all will bare with me.
Railroads in Epirus and western Greece were repeatedly planned in OTL, one is being planned even at present as a matter of fact. In OTL the economic costs of the Asia Minor disaster and then WW2 derailed the projects. The Ioannina-Thessaly part, roughly 100 km would had cost about 4 million pounds...

I think the Epirus line makes a lot of sense if you’re looking to connect that isolated region with the rest of the nation. It would help significantly with development in the area and would be an economic boon for most of western Greece. It also would have significant military value as it would be a logistical lifeline in the area in case of an invasion. It’s expensive and difficult but I can see the Greek government trying to pull it off. Especially if the can convince another nation to at least partial fund it as a good economic investment. Italy/Italian nations on the Ionian Sea might be interested in investing as a way to get their goods into central and eastern Greece without paying to use the Corinth canal

On a complete separate note, does anyone else think it’s weird Turkey doesn’t have a rail line to Antioch? That seems like something you’d want to have, it’s a major city.

I think the most reasonable railroad line in Epirus is what Lascaris did in his TL, meaning one connecting Thessaly to Ioannina and then Agioi Saranda/Sarande. As mentioned there were OTL plans.

The main reason behind an Epirus railroad will be a strategic one. First and foremost, the Army can reach Epirus quickly, even in the case of lacking naval dominance in the Ionian (hint: a Great Power intervening). So in terms of power projection, it is increased towards the west and north-west. Secondly, in case of war with the Ottomans in the Aegean, the Epirus Railroad can become one of the two "breathing tubes" of Greece, the other being the port of Patras and the Corinth Canal. In that case, both trade and purchased military material can flow through there. Lastly, in peacetime, there is always the chance that a part of the produce of greek Thessaly and ottoman Macedonia (e.g. cotton, tobacco) can be exported through Epirus, instead of having western-bound ships going all the way to Volos or Salonica. Especially when it comes to trade with Italy,