Prevent the decline of the Arabic script

A while back I made a thread about screwing the latin script. This is a little different. Here, simply have all the languages that used to be predominantly written in the Arabic script stay in the Arabic script (or at least not turn into latin or cyrillic) . This includes all the malay languages, all the central asian and Caucasus languages, swahili, turkish, berber languages and others. Bonus points if you can get a non Muslim country to use it. Maybe Malta has some romantacist nationalist movement that wants to associated with the Arab world and it then "pulls a Romania" or something.

Berber is written in non-Arabic script? Does it have its own script? What is used?
It's mainly written in Tiffinagh today. Some say it's carthaginian/phoenician script.
In Morocco it used to be written in arabic script especialy for translation of religious texts.
Latin is mostly used on the net.

You could simply ignore the linguistic issues and buff the strength of the Arabic-script-using polities. Turkey for instance abandoned Arabic script for the Latin alphabet in part to Westernize. If they have no need to Westernize because the West is comparatively not all that and a bag of chips, there's a decent chance they and other countries in the same situaton will not swap scripts. So for this, go for a standard Central Powers win WW1; the Middle East thrives sort of timeline.

From a more linguistic point of view, Arabic script has obvious advantages and disadvantages. Crucially all the Semitic languages use consonants as, essentially, the only things that "matter" between word forms (if someone is properly fluent in a Semitic language feel free to jump in here). So they can safely do away with written vowels, economize word space and maintain meaning. In a bunch of other languages this is a problem. As an example in English: run and rain are completely different words but without vowels both words are only "rn." A tonal language like Chinese would be even worse to write in this regard. Now, in Arabic script there is a way to mark vowels, but even this is complicated by Arabic only having 3-ish vowel sounds. Compared to say, Turkish, which has 8-ish vowels, and a heavier emphasis on them, it's not hard to see how Arabic is not quite as conducive to writing the language as other scripts are - like the modified Latin the Turks swapped to. I suspect creating a more modifiable version of Arabic script would be helpful here - maybe as an ancillary part of the movement that created Modern Standard Arabic?

Last edited:
It's mainly written in Tiffinagh today. Some say it's carthaginian/phoenician script.
In Morocco it used to be written in arabic script especialy for translation of religious texts.
Latin is mostly used on the net.
Yeah, could we get it to be written in tiffinagh and Arabic, rather than tiffinagh and latin?

Tifinagh looks pretty amazing though. I visited Morocco last year, and some locals at the market joked that "Morocco is the most open country in the world." "How so?" I asked. "Why where else are signs written in French, Arabic, and ALIEN? We are ready for our extra-terrestrial trade partners!" ;)

One thing is for sure: Arabic is NOT easy. I am still on my Arabic online course 2 years later - and battling!

As an example: One of the first books to be printed in South Africa was an Islamic prayer book. The signage was Arabic, but the language was Afrikaans. - The mind bugles!

Ivan

Bonus points if you can get a non Muslim country to use it.
Fun fact: at one point Lipka Tatars used to write the Belarusian language using the Arabic script.

I once made a thread challenging posters to come up with a way to create an independent Lipka Tatar nation. Problem is (at least according to some of the posts in that thread) was that the Lipka Tatars were historically spread out over the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and didn’t have an area which could easily be turned into a “homeland”. While creating the thread, I also couldn’t find any good figures on their current or former population numbers (yet another complication is that, according to the Internet, many people who call themselves “Lipka Tatars” today aren’t “true” L.T.s but rather immigrants from Central Asia and elsewhere who moved to Poland in Communist Era — the “true” Lipka Tatars where all but destroyed by the Nazi Holocaust. Or so the Internet told me).

But maybe this could still work if Imperial Germany is victorious in WW1 and breaks up Eastern Europe into numerous little puppet-states; one of the new nations is a Tatar state in former PLC comprised of the Tatars who are gathered up and deported to the new territory by Poland, Belarus, etc. (remember, this is the early 20th century and things like population exchanges in the name of nationalism were not unheard off).

Eventually, the Tatars develop ties to the Ottomans and return to using the Belarusian-Arabic alphabet. The Tatar state would likely be Muslim so I probably don’t get bonus points but depending on how & where the nation was formed there might be a plurality of Christians or other religions on its territory.
From a more linguistic point of view, Arabic script has obvious advantages and disadvantages. Crucially all the Semitic languages use consonants as, essentially, the only things that "matter" between word forms (if someone is properly fluent in a Semitic language feel free to jump in here). So they can safely do away with written vowels, economize word space and maintain meaning. In a bunch of other languages this is a problem. As an example in English: run and rain are completely different words but without vowels both words are only "rn." A tonal language like Chinese would be even worse to write in this regard. Now, in Arabic script there is a way to mark vowels, but even this is complicated by Arabic only having 3-ish vowel sounds. Compared to say, Turkish, which has 8-ish vowels, and a heavier emphasis on them, it's not hard to see how Arabic is not quite as conducive to writing the language as other scripts are - like the modified Latin the Turks swapped to. I suspect creating a more modifiable version of Arabic script would be helpful here - maybe as an ancillary part of the movement that created Modern Standard Arabic?
Wikipedia tells me that such a thing exists in the form of the Bosnian Arabic alphabet that has added vowels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arebica
Tifinagh looks pretty amazing though. I visited Morocco last year, and some locals at the market joked that "Morocco is the most open country in the world." "How so?" I asked. "Why where else are signs written in French, Arabic, and ALIEN?
Substitute “Arabic” for “English” and you get Canada:

welcome-to-iqaluit.jpg

That sign is written in French, English and Inuktitut (once using the Latin script & again using the Qaniujaaqpait alphabet)