Pre-2020 Democratic presidential or VP candidate from west of the Great Plains (I don't mean birthplace)

Democratic Senator John Tunney of California seemed a tailor made Presidential candidate, but he lost his run for a second term in 1976 to the eccentric S.I Hayakawa. If Tunney had won the race and then 1982, he could have run in 84 or 88.
Robert Redford's character in The Candidate (1972) was based on him.

It just occurred to me that while a unified Democratic Party never had a westerner on its ticket before 2020, in 1860 the anti-Douglas pro-slavery wing of the party did (Lane of Oregon as Breckinridge's running mate).

Here are the candidates who ran for Presidents from states West of the Great Planes in each cycle, however I am running by the Wikipedia definition which means announced even if they didn't make it to the primaries or was on one or two ballots at the convention
1920:

• William G. McAdoo: California Senator and Wilson Treasury Secretary, was also a candidate in 1924 and 1928
  • Herbert Hoover: In 1920 he still had yet to decide if he was a Democrat or Republican, and he could have been nominated that year.
  • Burton K. Wheeler: Montana Senator and leading America Firster (and anti-semitie) though like the other candidate may have been a favourite son. This probable goes for the people below
    • Wyoming Senator Joseph O'Mahoney and California Lt. Governor Ellis E. Patterson.
  • Pat Brown: Liberal California Governor who won the California Primary albeit as a favourite son
  • Wayne Morse: Oregon Senator
1972:

• Sam Yorty: Los Angeles Mayor
  • Patsy Mink: Hawaii Congressman

• Morris Udall: Arizona Congressman who came second to Carter in several primaries, some of which were quite close, while winning Wyoming, Arizona and Hawaii.
  • Henry "Scoop" Jackson: Washington Senator, leading neocon and right wing democrat, an opponent of bussing and advocate for defence spending, so much so that he was nicknamed the Senator from Boeing.
  • Jerry Brown: California Governor who won the California, Arizona and Maryland primaries.
  • Frank Church: Idaho senator and chair of the CIA Church Committee who also won several primaries and was considered to be a running mate by Jimmy Carter.

• Jerry Brown (Again)

• Alan Cranston: California Senator
  • Gary Hart: Colorado Senator who gave Mondale a run for his money in the primaries.

• Gary Hart: He ran again until he dropped out due to scandal, than dropped back in again.

• Jerry Brown: This time running against NAFTA and for a flat tax!

• Bill Richardson: UN Ambassador, Secretary of Energy and New Mexico Governor
  • Mike Gravel : Alaskan Senator known for this ad.
At the risk of discussing current politics, these candidates could have run in a different 2016 or 2012
  • Tom Steyer: California Businessman, Next Gen Founder and megadoner
  • Kamala Harris: California Senator and former AG
  • Eric Swalwell: California Congressman
  • Michael Bennet: Colorado Senator
  • Tulsi Gabbard: Hawaii congresswoman
  • Jay Inslee: Washington Governor