Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Might make an actual thread to brainstorm, but I've been kicking around an idea for a while that would basically be an exploration of a different publication history and development of the X-Men franchise after Chris Claremont's exit from Marvel, mostly with the idea of Fabian Nicieza having more of a creative impact on the line and staying on past his OTL departure in 1995. Might end up looking at developments in different parts of the comics world, but my initial idea are all pretty centered on the early 90's X books.
Any thoughts would be really appreciated!

Last edited:
Do you guys think the fall of 2D animated films was inevitable, or do you think it would've been avoided if, say, Pixar was the only studio who did CG animation and Dreamworks was never founded?

Do you guys think the fall of 2D animated films was inevitable, or do you think it would've been avoided if, say, Pixar was the only studio who did CG animation and Dreamworks was never founded?
I say inevitable, at least by your idea for avoiding its fall. I believe that if Pixar was still doing CG animation no matter what other studios you have never founded. Other TTL studios will pop up attempting to do what Pixar are doing. I think if you want to avoid the downfall of 2-D animated features. You have to have a POD within 2-D animation studios. Maybe have one of the studios pushing out some epic features that consistently beat Pixar features both critically and publicly.

I say inevitable, at least by your idea for avoiding its fall. I believe that if Pixar was still doing CG animation no matter what other studios you have never founded. Other TTL studios will pop up attempting to do what Pixar are doing. I think if you want to avoid the downfall of 2-D animated features. You have to have a POD within 2-D animation studios. Maybe have one of the studios pushing out some epic features that consistently beat Pixar features both critically and publicly.
Its also (usually) cheaper and does not require two hundred animators at drawing desk's. That said without Pixar/DreamWorks maybe they'd just automate traditional 2d animation instead of going all "Toy Story" style all the time. I miss that sort of film...

Even if some other studios did try out 3D eventually, I think the fall of 2D animation would still take a little longer without Dreamworks coming in. Maybe Disney would shut down its 2D studio in 2008 instead of 2004, for instance.
Its also (usually) cheaper and does not require two hundred animators at drawing desk's.

I never agreed with the "CGI is cheaper than 2D animation" line of thinking. Every single film on this list is CGI, and a lot of older 2D animated films are relatively cheap when adjusted for inflation. (The most expensive 2D-animated film, Treasure Planet, had a LOT of CG in it.)