POLL: What's your favourite pre-modern England-wank scenario?

What's your favourite pre-modern England-wank scenario?

• The White Ship doesn't sink, 1120 (No Anarchy)

Votes: 26 15.8%
  • Richard the Lionheart stays out of the crossbows' range, 1199 (Angevin wank ensues)

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • Edward of Angoulême doesn't die of illness at age five, 1370 (Plantagenet wank ensues)

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Henry V doesn't fall ill, 1422 (Lancastrian wank ensues)

Votes: 43 26.1%
  • Richard III wins at Bosworth Field, 1485 (Yorkist wank ensues)

Votes: 18 10.9%
  • Arthur Tudor doesn't die of illness at the age of fifteen, 1502 (Tudor wank ensues)

Votes: 18 10.9%
  • Another POD, upon which I shall elaborate in the comments

Votes: 12 7.3%

• Total voters

VVD0D95

Banned
Henry VI kills himself during attack of madness in 1454 (jumps out of window, eats broken glass or something like this). His infant son succeedes the throne as Edward IV so instead of mad king on the throne there is child king and long regency of Richard of York. Downfall of House of Lancaster and War of Roses is avoided. Perhaps Edward IV Lancaster marries heiress of Burgundy one day and Burgundian inheritance is added to Lancastrian realm.

You don't think Richard, Duke of York would attempt to have Edward marry one of his own children if they're of the right age?

Everyone knows the only worthwhile England-wank is the one Where Matilda has issue with Holy Roman Emperor Henry V, and they descendants end up on the throne of England.

Everyone knows the only worthwhile England-wank is the one Where Matilda has issue with Holy Roman Emperor Henry V, and they descendants end up on the throne of England.

Negative lol. My favorites are the william adelin which would be a more english england lol. Id also like to Stephens line through William win and start a new dynasty.

Henry VIII's decision to break with Rome ended up destabilising the country, directly or indirectly, down to the Jacobites and the '45. To be fair, modern British history was basically a Britain-wank anyway, so I'm not sure that a Catholic England would do better, but it would probably be less internally divided than IOTL.

Negative lol. My favorites are the william adelin which would be a more english england lol. Id also like to Stephens line through William win and start a new dynasty.

Mine is where no White Ship, Matilda gets married to Thierry of Alsace, and William dies childless anyway. That way we get a Flanders dynasty controlling both Channel coasts and the Blois cadets have rival claims against each other first (Theobald's line senior status versus Stephen's line as direct vassals to Flanders).

What about one from slightly before 1066: Edward the Exile doesn't die within days after setting foot back in England, but lives say another 11 years, becoming the heir of, and then the (mostly) uncontested successor of Edward the Confessor. The House of Wessex remains on the English throne. And an important butterfly: in 1070 Archbishop Stigand is succeeded at Canterbury by Wulfstan bishop of Worcester. He reconciles the English Church to Rome and becomes the great reforming English prelate, introducing continental practices and orders, but with mostly English personnel. He is canonised shortly after his death as St Wolston of Canterbury.

AmI hearing demand for a Macbeth timeline?

I'd be interested but there is a conflict of interest - the actual historical figure is almost certainly my ancestor.

With Robert dead before his rebellions, there will be reduced Norman in-fighting. His costly Crusade will not be funded with a large (resented) tax in England.
Malcolm's death will prevent his multiple invasions of England, and while there will be Scottish rebellions they will probably be far less costly.

As Scotland doesn't exist (merely a more rebellious part of England), there will be a stronger temptation to control the whole island. Wales will be conquered by one of the next few Kings of England and there will be no Principality of Wales.

Central Scotland was once known as Alba, since at least Roman times until not that long ago they killed or ran off interlopers great and small. Relevant debris in the area is still being excavated, but I believe there is a Viking document that says something like, "maybe we should stop raiding this area for a while, they're not that rich but chock full of nuts".

I am an Indian.

My ancestors were Jacobites. They were anti-UK before it went global. I've seen Asian cultures that hate each other end arguments with, 'but at least we agree the British were worse, right'?

I'd be interested but there is a conflict of interest - the actual historical figure is almost certainly my ancestor.

Central Scotland was once known as Alba, since at least Roman times until not that long ago they killed or ran off interlopers great and small. Relevant debris in the area is still being excavated, but I believe there is a Viking document that says something like, "maybe we should stop raiding this area for a while, they're not that rich but chock full of nuts".

My ancestors were Jacobites. They were anti-UK before it went global. I've seen Asian cultures that hate each other end arguments with, 'but at least we agree the British were worse, right'?

Wait how would u be related to macbeth?

Wait how would u be related to macbeth?

Obviously not the Shakespearean character. The Bard was inspired by someone's very incorrect telling of historical events.

Historical figure: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbeth,_King_of_Scotland

Shakespeare's inspiration: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holinshed's_Chronicles

Real Macbeth had kids but the male line eventually ran out within a few generations of his death, probably by violence. Alba agreed to become.part of Scotland so long as it could largely govern itself not long before or very early into the reign of (Scottish) Alexander III. The eldest remaining daughter married a Flemish knight - he took her lands and she took his name.

Henry VIII's decision to break with Rome ended up destabilising the country, directly or indirectly, down to the Jacobites and the '45. To be fair, modern British history was basically a Britain-wank anyway, so I'm not sure that a Catholic England would do better, but it would probably be less internally divided than IOTL.

Catholic England means a weaker parliament (given it was sectarian struggles that limited the monarchy), which means more absolutism, which reduces mercantile elite control, which likely butterflies the industrial revolution. The Glorious Revolution was the greatest thing to happen to the British economy.

Obviously not the Shakespearean character. The Bard was inspired by someone's very incorrect telling of historical events.

Historical figure: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbeth,_King_of_Scotland

Shakespeare's inspiration: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holinshed's_Chronicles

Real Macbeth had kids but the male line eventually ran out within a few generations of his death, probably by violence. Alba agreed to become.part of Scotland so long as it could largely govern itself not long before or very early into the reign of (Scottish) Alexander III. The eldest remaining daughter married a Flemish knight - he took her lands and she took his name.

Thats a prutty cool family history, mine is similiar. Im apparently a 8th generation descendant of King Goerge III The Mad King. Througb a bastard/un consented marriage line

There's also the statistical reason that the further back in time a particular person the more likely they are either an ancestor of everyone or noone.
So MacBethad is probably an ancestor of most people in Britain.

Unless you're Charlemagne or Genghis Khan and spread genes farther than James T Kirk. For the rest of us, the physical and social mobility was somewhat limited so there might be a less diversity in parts of the family tree the farther back one goes as well.

Unless you're Charlemagne or Genghis Khan and spread genes farther than James T Kirk. For the rest of us, the physical and social mobility was somewhat limited so there might be a less diversity in parts of the family tree the farther back one goes as well.
Charlegmane and Genghis just did it faster. The stats are just as applicable because the social mobility is across multiple generations.

Central Scotland was once known as Alba, since at least Roman times until not that long ago they killed or ran off interlopers great and small.

If that were really true, they'd hardly be named after an Irish tribe nowadays. ;)

My ancestors were Jacobites. They were anti-UK before it went global.

The Jacobites weren't anti-UK. Or rather, some of them might have been, but Jacobitism was always about the line of succession, not the Act of Union.

Catholic England means a weaker parliament (given it was sectarian struggles that limited the monarchy), which means more absolutism, which reduces mercantile elite control, which likely butterflies the industrial revolution. The Glorious Revolution was the greatest thing to happen to the British economy.

I'd argue that the Crown's difficulties finding money were more important in limiting royal power, and those difficulties probably wouldn't go away just because England remains Catholic.