Player Two Start: An SNES-CD Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn, forgot about Fighters Megamix. :p I guess the more hardcore Sega fans will say Smash Bros. is an admission that Nintendo ran out of ideas. My TTL self included, knowing how stupid and immature I was back in 9th grade. ;)

And a Nintendo fanboy would reply back with: What about Sonic Quest?
(I actually can't remember if that was the name but you get it):D

SonicQuest is probably TTL's Sonic Shuffle i.e we don't talk about it. It's one one of those "That never happened." entries, like Highlander 2: the Quickening. We just kick it under the couch and walk away, hands in pocket, whistling.

SonicQuest is probably TTL's Sonic Shuffle i.e we don't talk about it. It's one one of those "That never happened." entries, like Highlander 2: the Quickening. We just kick it under the couch and walk away, hands in pocket, whistling.
Lol. Btw, I'm sorry Pyro. I had to say it.

Also, I want to say I love the Steve Austin segment. My late uncle and I would have watched it together. He was a big fan of him, actually we still have a photo where we met him on the wall. The segment brought back good memories so thank you.

Lol. Btw, I'm sorry Pyro. I had to say it.

Also, I want to say I love the Steve Austin segment. My late uncle and I would have watched it together. He was a big fan of him, actually we still have a photo where we met him on the wall. The segment brought back good memories so thank you.

Sonic Quest was not that bad but fans yeah, this was our attemp in nintendo play but...this was a good game not a good sonic game(yeah Sonic keep standard).

(Sonic Shuffle...i didn't found that game till a few year ago, yeah was that bad)

Nice bring that family memory with the legendary texas rattlesnake

It's almost the end of the millennium
Should we expect all computers on the planet to start malfunctioning and nuclear missles flying about soon :p

On a more serious note I kinda want info on gaming scene in other countries/regions
Latin America
Russia/the former eastern block
East Asia (minus Japan) in pictular main land China and South Korea (I can imagine that Korea is still bootleging all these console because of their ban on Japanese products so....)
Western Europe (minus the uk)
Australia (probley still getting screwed over in terms of video game like IOTL)

Also 1999 is when spongebob aired. If it's been butterflyed out it would be intresting to see what happens to Nickelodeon with out a cash cow like spongebob, which could mean that they don't decline in quality?

As for next year what can expect from the year 2000
And some info on the following celebs
Nicki minaj
Justin Biber

And some important figures in modern gaming
Reggie Fils-Aimé
todd Howard

And more importantly will we see the 6th generation of consoles come
Plus ,and ecsune me if I go on a tangent, I can imagine that the gaming scene in the 2000s to be radically different since the ps2 as we know it dosnt exist ITTL, and depending on weather or not there is some equivalent consoles when It come to the ludicrous sucsses of the ps2.

Last edited:
Also 1999 is when spongebob aired. If it's been butterflyed out it would be intresting to see what happens to Nickelodeon with out a cash cow like spongebob, which could mean that they don't decline in quality?
I thought SpongeBob came out earlier?
I can imagine that the gaming scene in the 2000s to be radically different since the ps2 as we know it dosnt exist ITTL, and depending on weather or not there is some equivalent consoles when It come to the ludicrous sucsses of the ps2.
There was a ludicrous success, it was called the Ultra Nintendo. Sold out for like four or five months!:eek::p

Now we're getting into chicken-or-egg territory. As in, did Nick decline because they whored out Spongebob, or did they whore out Spongebob because they declined?

Think I remember reading early on in the TL that GameTv lasted from 1995 to 2000. Why did it end so soon? Do games go into a decline around then? Low ratings? On air joke goes too far? I'm intrigued, and I have to compliment the writers on including it as part of the TL, really sucks you into the culture of this alternate 90's...

We'll go more into it in 2000, but basically, MTV kind of retools itself that year because of the success of TRL. GameTV's ratings begin to go into a slow decline in early 1999 and though it's still one of the network's highest rated shows, it's not pulling in the right demo numbers to make it as profitable as it needs to be (it was having the same problem in 1997 before Lyssa Fielding joined the show) and MTV ends up canceling it. What Crunch said about host salaries also applies.

In the wake of Smash, will Sega release a sequel to Fighter Megamix, but more like Smash Bros.

Maybe. I imagine it'd have more of a chance of showing up on the Katana.

SoniQuest got a decent enough critical and commercial reception, but not enough for Sega to make a sequel.

You're welcome! We were overdue to have a wrestling segment and I figure they'd be able to get Stone Cold since he was doing voices on Celebrity Deathmatch.

Ironically, Ted and Alex are the only two wrestling fans on GameTV (at least out of the six current hosts). While Brittany and Lyssa both think that the Rock is cute, neither of them likes wrestling at all, and Adrian and Gary aren't really fans either (Gary watched it a little bit during the days of Hulkamania but he drifted away from it when he reached high school).

It's almost the end of the millennium
Should we expect all computers on the planet to start malfunctioning and nuclear missles flying about soon

Haha, nope, Y2K goes exactly as IOTL, much ado about nothing, the necessary fixes are made well in advance.

On a more serious note I kinda want info on gaming scene in other countries/regions
Latin America
Russia/the former eastern block
East Asia (minus Japan) in pictular main land China and South Korea (I can imagine that Korea is still bootleging all these console because of their ban on Japanese products so....)
Western Europe (minus the uk)
Australia (probley still getting screwed over in terms of video game like IOTL)

Frederico is big in Latin America, but the Saturn is actually doing a bit better there than the Ultra currently is. Gaming isn't huge there as of yet ITTL. The former Eastern Bloc is heavily biased toward PC games, though FIFA on consoles is making inroads. China and South Korea are largely bootlegging because of restrictions on consoles, though PC games are enormous in Korea. The Ultra has recently surpassed the Saturn in Western Europe, with FIFA and Gran Turismo being huge there but also Goldeneye and The Dreamers. Temple of Time is a MASSIVE hit there. Australia mostly supports the Ultra, many JRPGs haven't made it over there but Killer Instinct Ultra and Ballistic Limit 2 are pretty huge.

Spongebob is still coming in 1999, and Phineas and Ferb and Sam and Kira are still going strong for Nick. Swashbucklers is entering its final stretch but it remains a pretty successful show. Caitlin's Way is coming in 2000 and will be bigger than IOTL, perhaps MUCH bigger.

As for next year what can expect from the year 2000
And some info on the following celebs
Nicki minaj
Justin Biber

2000...will be interesting. Right now, Nicki Minaj is performing in musicals at her high school and is not a gamer. Justin Bieber just got his Ultra and is playing the crap out of Ultra Mario Kart as a very energetic 4-year-old who currently has no musical inclinations.

And some important figures in modern gaming
Reggie Fils-Aimé
todd Howard

Reggie....you'll be hearing about him fairly soon. Todd Howard is working at Bethesda on a project for 2000.

Last edited:
Reggie....you'll be hearing about him fairly soon. Todd Howard is working at Bethesda on a project for 2000.
Reggie will show up at some point but we won't spoil anything about that until it happens. :)
Both of these sound like you're bring somewhat coy as if there's something big involving him coming up down the line. As a Nintendo loyalist, it, it couldn't be...
My guess is this foreshadows the exit of Tom Kalinske. While Sega is doing quite respectably, all things considered, the Saturn isn't what anyone wants it to be. Their hardware team is solid, avoiding OTL issues. Their developer lineup is strong, and one could argue that they're losing previously exclusive games to the Ultra because they weren't able to establish a sufficient install base in time (i.e. marketing). Plus, even with everyone in the foxhole together, SoJ is still SoJ, and suffering together only works for so long as a bonding experience: tinkering with the SoA end of things seems more likely.

It could also tie into the generally softer, lighter approach this timeline takes. Rather than his autonomy being gradually eroded per OTL, Kalinske is allowed to leave with his head held high as the company transitions to Katana: "You did good, just not good enough."

And then enter Peter Moore. *hooks thumbs in belt*

...or Reggie Fils-Aimé, but that would be crazy. R-right?
(Note: Changed the colors to emphasize it.)
Reggie as President of Sega of America? As a Nintendo fanboy...Well, as long as Nintendo still gets someone as good, i'm fine with it. I want Sega to have a sporting chance, after all. Battle's always more interesting against a opponent who can provide a decent challenge, if not win, hopefully.

Oh, absolutely. And yes, TTL's Alternatehistory.com does have a TL based on OTL.
At which I imagine someone named Cryo is currently blowing a gasket at the blatant Sega Screw and, indeed, whoever my ITTL counterpart is, assuming I exist at all, freaking out at the minor Nintendo Screw of the 5th and 6th Generations.

Last edited:
At which I imagine someone named CYro is currently blowing a gasket at the blatant Sega Screw and, indeed, whoever my ITTL counterpart is, assuming I exist at all, freaking out at the minor Nintendo Screw of the 5th and 6th Generations.

That would "Cryo" and yes, he would be losing his "cool" over the SEGA screw. :p

He would think those Sly Cooper games would be interesting though.

Comics In 1999
Though Wired.com states that 1998 was the greatest years in video gaming accord, 1999 was a benchmark year for comics industry in the wake of the speculator market collapse, Marvel’s bankruptcy, and subsequent accquisition by NewsCorp. The releases of both Green Lantern and X-Men started Hollywood’s “Superhero Wars” in earnest the previous year where DC/Warner Bros. and Marvel/20th Century Fox would duel each summer in the oughts to see which property ruled the roost. Green Lantern’s narrow victory saw a dramatic increase in sales of the comic as well as the launch of a second title in October in conjunction with a new story arc. In the year-long “Torchbearer” arc, the last Guardian of the Universe, Ganthet charged Kyle Rayner with the task of restarting the Green Lantern Corps when a new Corps using yellow rings appears. Additionally, with Hal Jordan dead in the aftermath of Zero Hour, Kyle learns that he inherited the power of Central Power Battery, which he uses to recover the souls of Kilowog, Tomar-Tu, and other Lanterns murdered in “Emerald Twilight” from Nekron’s realm.

The second title Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors written by John Acrudi and pencilled by Doug Manhke focused on Kyle’s then-love interest Jade and John Stewart who became Earth’s new Green Lanterns after Kyle’s departure. Both arcs ended with the restoration of both the Green Lantern Corps and Central Power Battery on Oa was well as the revelation the power behind the yellow rings was Mongul who made reference to an “Emotional Spectrum.” An idea pitched by then production assistant, Geoff Johns, who would briefly take over the main title four year later.

Sales of X-Men saw a noticeable bump, though not to as great a degree as Green Lantern since Uncanny X-Men was Marvel’s best-selling title. However, the success of the X-Men film and upcoming anime was the impetus behind the Magneto War, which evolved into a company-wide crossover that included Avengers, Fantastic Four, and (believe it or not) Spider-Man. The premise was a relatively simple one, Magneto reverses the Earth’s magnetic poles and issues an ultimatum to the UN for a mutant homeland, which forces the X-Men and Avengers to team up to stop him while Fantastic Four and Spider-Man dealt with the consequences in their self-contained episodes.

"The Magneto War" is significant in itself because of the final confrontation where Magneto threatens to intervene with the X-Men/Avengers plan to use Polaris and Magneto’s clone, Joseph to realign the poles. When Xavier’s resolve falters when he momentarily neutralizes Magneto, Wolverine decapitates the longtime X-Men foe in revenge for killing Storm. The consequences were far reaching for the X-Men franchise because Wolverine’s actions splintered the team into two camps: Xavier/Cyclops faction, which advocated a peaceful coexistence and cooperation with humanity, and Wolverine’s, which took a militant stance against mutant extremism.

Meanwhile, Fantastic Four was riding on the hype generated by both “Heroes Return” and upcoming film. Marvel went to great lengths to make the title its flagship title once more, even integrating the retired Parker Parker into its supporting cast as Reed Richards protege. Similarly, Johnny Storm frequently crossed over Ben Reilly’s Spider-Man titles as member of his supporting cast. This cross-pollination between the titles bore some fruit and bumped up sales as well as produce memorable stories like Scott Lobdell’s “The Return of the Bombastic Bag-Man” where a crisis forced Peter Parker to don his humorous alter ego to rescue the Fantastic Four from the Mole Man (no joke!) While it did not placate fans of Peter Parker as “the one, true Spider-Man,” it at least gave him a prominent role the Marvel universe while Ben Reilly headlined the comics and video games. Unfortunately, Fantastic Four was fighting an uphill battle since not only had Warner Bros. scheduled Batman Triumphant for release that summer, the sequel to Last Son of Krypton, Man of Tomorrow would shatter box office records that November to say nothing Fox’s other sci-fi epic, Star Wars: Episode I.

1998 was also the year that Justice League writer Mark Waid, Legion writer Grant Morrison, and relative unknowns Tom Peyer and Mark Millar pitched their polarizing Superman 2000 relaunch to DC Comics. Though incoming editor Eddie Berganza gave the rubber stamp to proposal and fired regular writers Dan Jurgens and Jerry Ordway in preparation for the new creative teams, but found resistance in DC Comics VP Paul Levitz. Company policy at the time disallowed A-List talent on its Superman and Batman titles. Levitz would have squelched the proposal had Man of Tomorrow not been scheduled for release that November. Pressured by both DC and Warner Bros. marketing departments, Levitz eventually greenlighted the revamp for April 1999.

The revamp was not without controversy; message boards across Internet erupted into a firestorm when they learned that after sixty years, Superman would be dropping the red shorts. Similarly, the mainstream media picked up on the story, brings the general public into the debate. “RUINED FOREVER!” Fans cried on Comic Book Resources forums, however, sales saw a dramatic increase. In fact, the newly-rechristened Superman Now would court further controversy later in the year again drive up sales to where the first time in decades, Superman outsold Batman.

“The Final Night” (or derisively known as “the Super-Annulment” in some circles) proved to be the biggest base-breaker in the company’s history. Essentially, the story started strongly with Lex Luthor and Brainiac teaming up (again), and reveal Superman’s secret identity to the word, placing his supporting cast and Lois Lane in particular in danger. Many fans draw parallels between this story and Alan Moore’s “Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow” except that the new Luthor/Brainiac team’s plan now threatened even the Fifth Dimension, forcing Superman and Mr. Mxyzptlk to team up. Despite its initial good reception, fans decried the aftermath.

In an act of uncharacteristic spite, Brainiac alters Lois’ brain chemistry so that the memory of Clark and Superman being one in the same literally became a poison that would kill. Faced with no other options, Superman turns to Mr. Mxyzptlk for help. Since, the imp is only permitted to do mischief in the Third Dimension, he can only “reset” reality so that Lois never knew and that they would never have been married. Longtime fans, especially one of the post-Crisis on Infinite Earths version of Superman, rose up in arms, accusing DC of pandering to Silver/Bronze Age fans. The furor became so great that Superman received attention from the mainstream media when Batman Triumphant and Fantastic Four duked it out in the box office.

In spite of the criticism it received, “The Final Night” is the defining Superman story of its generation. It had action, suspense, romance, and most of all tragedy. As distasteful as the idea of magically annulling the marriage was to fans, Morrison, Waid, et al. treated it with gravitas and gave it one hell of a send-off. Their waltz among the Aurora Borealis was a particularly well-rendered scene and their final embrace under the Daily Planet globe where Lois whispers that they find each other again as the sun sets. A statement that would prove prophetic as DC would later reverse the decision after Morrison’s run on Superman ended.

Though it hardly received any media attention outside of industry trades such as Wizard Magazine, WildStorm Productions’ sale to Disney was probably the biggest story in comic news in 1998. Since the collapse of the speculator’s market in 1993, Jim Lee had been looking for a buyer. While DC Comics expressed interest, Disney outbid them after the successes of the superhero films of the mid to late 90s, which surprised industry insiders as rumors persisted that Disney was interested in purchasing the rights to Valiant Comics properties from Akklaim Entertainment. Granted, Wildstorm’s stable of characters was comparatively small, it gave Disney a toehold in the comic book market.

Disney originally had laissez-faire policy towards its acquisition, as the case was for Warren Ellis’ Authority and Planetary, but the staunchly anti-establishment Alan Moore immediately broke ties with WildStorm the moment the sale took effect on January 1, 1999. Likewise, creator-owned titles like Kurt Busiek’s Astro City, Joe Madureria’s Battle Chasers, and J. Scott Campbell’s Danger Girl remained property of their owners. However, Disney took a more direct role in WildStorm-owned properties like Gen13, which they transformed (and cleaned up, considering the source material) into an animated series in 2000. However, with a limited stable of characters to choose from and Disney’s appetite for a larger market share, the company not only sought more studios to purchase, but also properties to license after the success of the Legend of Zelda animated series on the Disney Channel.

-excerpted from the blog "The Musing Platypus" by B. Ronning, January 20, 2015

--

Apologies for the brevity of this post. However, I would like to note that the Superman 2000 proposal is real and quite an interesting read. Since Paul Levitz gave Waid, Morrison, et. al the keys to the "family car" we can assume such seminal Superman works like Birthright, Red Son, and All-Star Superman never come into existence TTL but elements from them will appear in TTL's Superman titles (Action Comics, Superman [Adventures of Superman and Superman Vol. 2 folded back into one title], Superman: Man of Steel, and a now-monthly Superman: Man of Tomorrow.)

As for Disney's acquisition of WildStorm, I will try to elaborate on that more later.

Hmm, how's this sound for a Gen13 cast list?

Caitlin Fairchild- Lyssa Fielding (for reference, I imagine her voice sounding a lot like Kate Mara's, so...think something close to the voice Kate Mara uses for Chrysalis in Moonbeam City)
Bobby "Burnout" Lane- Rider Strong
Roxy "Freefall" Spaulding- Grey Delisle
Sarah Rainmaker- Irene Bedard
Percival "Grunge" Chang- B. D. Wong
John Lynch- John de Lancie

Justin Bieber just got his Ultra and is playing the crap out of Ultra Mario Kart as a very energetic 4-year-old who currently has no musical inclinations.
it might be a bit of a jumping ahead but i recall that Justin saying that had he not become a pop star, he could see himself becoming a major hockey player

and speaking of pop stars i also want some status on some of the following
Micheal Jackson
Davis Bowie
Prince

and to throw a left fielder what Rumsfeld Doing ITTL (probably unaffected from all the butterflies in this time line...but I've been binge reading Rumsfeldia again and i'm kinda curious even though the answer is pretty self explanatory....unless there's a twist he becomes 43rd president instead of bush jr. ITTL :eek:)

and finally should expect something big when we get to space world 2000
i was reading the wikapedia arctle and this stood out to me

During the Space World of 2000, a compilation trailer of Nintendo licenses running on GameCube hardware was displayed. Some games revealed then were Super Smash Bros. Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Meowth's Party, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Kameo: Elements of Power, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Batman: Vengeance, and the technology demonstrations called Super Mario 128 and The Legend of Zelda 128

besides giving us info what TTL equivalent of these games would be, can we also assume that rareware dose'nt get bought out by Microsoft ITTL

Last edited:
it might be a bit of a jumping ahead but i recall that Justin saying that had he not become a pop star, he could see himself becoming a major hockey player

and speaking of pop stars i also want some status on some of the following
Micheal Jackson
Davis Bowie
Prince

and to throw a left fielder what Rumsfeld Doing ITTL (probably unaffected from all the butterflies in this time line...but I've been binge reading Rumsfeldia again and i'm kinda curious even though the answer is pretty self explanatory....unless he becomes president instead of bush jr. ITTL :eek:)

and finally should expect something big when we get to space world 2000
i was reading the wikapedia arctle and this stood out to me

besides giving us info what TTL equivalent of these games would be, can we also assume that rareware dose'nt get bought out by Microsoft ITTL

Really Justin 'Beaver' Bieber as Hockey players.... a draft bust or something :p;)(being serious who knews maybe that was his true talent all along and otl cursed us with his music ;) )

Those Artist maybe will be mention till next mayor pop culture update or alongside the tl, Ry will give you more info

everybody talk rumsfeldia, should read it but still rumsfeld is not that different otl(aka i've not idea about him except his saddam handshacking and being infamous bush Sec of Defense)

Butterflies will impact all those games and we're years before a next gen from nintendo, so stay tuned :cool:

everybody talk rumsfeldia, should read it but still rumsfeld is not that different otl(aka i've not idea about him except his saddam handshacking and being infamous bush Sec of Defense)

to save a long story and keep this thread on topic i'll just link the tv tropes page here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/FearLoathingAndGumboOnTheCampaignTrailSeventyTwo

speaking of tv tropes how's this story's trope page doing? is it need of updating or is it up to date

and speaking of which, dose TV Tropes still exist ITTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.