Planetocopia Map Thread

This seems like the place to ask this:

What would a free-floating ice-cap be like? In Jaredia, the southern ice-cap is over sea, and surrounded by sea. In OTL, we have one ice-cap over sea surrounded by land, and one on land surrounded by sea.

Would it spin? Would it wobble? Would it be nothing more than slush?

Would it shear off volcanic islands that pierce through it, or would they cause a fracture in the ice, or could they make the ice pivot around them?

This seems like the place to ask this:

What would a free-floating ice-cap be like? In Jaredia, the southern ice-cap is over sea, and surrounded by sea. In OTL, we have one ice-cap over sea surrounded by land, and one on land surrounded by sea.

Would it spin? Would it wobble? Would it be nothing more than slush?

Would it shear off volcanic islands that pierce through it, or would they cause a fracture in the ice, or could they make the ice pivot around them?

It's a pretty solid question, I'm not sure we've ever had much of an OTL equivalent of the pacific ice cap here. I'm inclined to agree with Chris' assertion that only the larger islands and those with volcanic activity to replenish land will carry on much like OTL - how much erosion do seaborne ice caps cause OTL?

When it comes to tilted Earths I've been toying with the idea of one with the north pole in the center of Tibet, the Takla Makan or right on Mt Everest. So... Once your done with all the ones from that site how's about doing one of those? :)

Penelope

Banned
When it comes to tilted Earths I've been toying with the idea of one with the north pole in the center of Tibet, the Takla Makan or right on Mt Everest. So... Once your done with all the ones from that site how's about doing one of those? :)

Shiveria is quite similar to this.

Lowtuff, whats the progress on the Seapole map? Because im very much interested in the Shiveria Map. Ive seen the progress with the Jaredia map game im just curious if you have a possible time frame?

Lowtuff, whats the progress on the Seapole map? Because im very much interested in the Shiveria Map. Ive seen the progress with the Jaredia map game im just curious if you have a possible time frame?

I'm leaving the attempt at a Jaredia climate map alone for now. Seapole is a tricky piece of work thanks to the coastlines, so I'll start working on Shiveria now.

Alright - first off, here's the basemap.

nGDv3Bf.png

Should I go with this or one of these?

qZ3h9If.png

lVGxXJw.png

New mission: figure out exactly _how_ to get the map with a sea level drop positioned so that it has the same poles as this map...

fzNhwzR.jpg

These maps are amazing, especially the latest one. I love fiddling with the paint-editable ones and making fun scenarios.

These maps are amazing, especially the latest one. I love fiddling with the paint-editable ones and making fun scenarios.

Thank you! Feel free to post anything you come up with here, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Alright, here's the progress with shiveria.

lnyuuQy.png

EDIT:

gCFujey.png

Last edited:
Moopli gave some great insight into Jaredian monsoons over here. With his work added in the tropics are looking a lot more solid!

66JcW76.png

Last edited:
Shiveria is quite similar to this.
That scenario is very interesting with the way the Mediterranean goes crazy, but imo having a pole in Indonesia is quite a different geography from having it in (or on the edges of) Tibet.
Imagine 19th century explorers searching for the North Pole and when getting close being faced with not just the cold but also having to adjust to the plateaus thin air.

That scenario is very interesting with the way the Mediterranean goes crazy, but imo having a pole in Indonesia is quite a different geography from having it in (or on the edges of) Tibet.
Imagine 19th century explorers searching for the North Pole and when getting close being faced with not just the cold but also having to adjust to the plateaus thin air.

True, that and one or two other all-new scenarios would be pretty fun to have a play around with once the rest are finished off. Working with the climate map for Jaredia I'm considering giving Turnovia a try as well. It's got a lot of potential, even though the map would be pretty close to OTL. (small sea level drop and some new lakes/ice caps is most of it)

True, that and one or two other all-new scenarios would be pretty fun to have a play around with once the rest are finished off. Working with the climate map for Jaredia I'm considering giving Turnovia a try as well. It's got a lot of potential, even though the map would be pretty close to OTL. (small sea level drop and some new lakes/ice caps is most of it)

I'd also like to thank Lowtuff for the work creating these amazing maps!

Thanks a bunch man - it's been nice to do them and I'm really happy to know people are getting a use out of them!