Photos from Kentucky Fried Politics

I wasn't satisfied with the modified Lennon image I first made (since both he and the image in general were still 70s). Thus, here's the new version. Also threw in photos of Richard Hunt and Jim Henson for good measure, as well as the updated logo for the 2011-17 Muppet series (the original was a JPEG I found, but I wasn't able to make space on my iPhone, so I waited months before I got a new laptop this Christmas to finally improve it, use MS Paint to make it into a 16-color bitmap to remove the JPEG artifacting and then use GIMP to make it a PNG; apologies for the leftover artifacting).

Last edited:
[vid: youtube.com/watch?v=Tf5aAd8zeXc ]

– A patriotic KFC Commercial from the early 1960s

BmqvkV4.png

[pic: imgur.com/BmqvkV4.png ]

– Airplane pilot Larry Beauchamp helps Colonel Sanders out of a private plane during The Colonel’s campaign for the US Presidency, c. 9/22/1964. Trevor Beauchamp advises: "My Dad explained that he was a part-time pilot and full time Police Officer. They came to the house so my Dad could change into uniform. The Colonel waited in our living room with my Mom, my brother and I while my Dad changed". Cst. Bob Livingston chauffeured them around town and he recalls the Colonel asking to stop at Sensenbrenner Hospital to visit the children. (Source, of both photo and italicized segment: Trevor Beauchamp, Facebook)

zH1FCti.png

[pic: imgur.com/zH1FCti.png ]

– A photo that did not age well: US President Colonel Sanders kissing a tour guide during his first visit of London, c. 1966

Bonus: Something I decided to not add to the TL because I wasn’t satisfied with it: Two versions of a possible “Reduce, Redirect, Repair” motto/logo designed in the 1990s for combating GCD (Global Climate Disruption) by reducing waste, redirecting resources, and repairing the planet:

iAmbaJF.png

[pic: imgur.com/iAmbaJF.png ]

HqBlVho.png

[pic: imgur / HqBlVho.png ]

(In retrospect, maybe "Reduce, Repair, and Recycle" would make more sense...)

MA8adbt.png

[pic: imgur.com/MA8adbt.png ]

– Former Governor Colonel Sanders, c. early Summer 1960

[vid: youtube /watch?v=SdUPEH7pWCk ]

– KFC commercial, c. 1960; KFC’s focus on female consumers in their advertising is seen as a contributing factor in Colonel Sanders winning a clear majority of female voters in the 1964 Presidential election

Since he died recently IOTL but was currently serving in the Pritt Administration ITTL:

RqJ11aF.png

[pic: imgur.com/RqJ11aF.png ]

– Grant Woods, a political maverick whose life is saved by TTL’s UHC and his presence in the US Senate; he is of no relation to another centrist politician, Governor Charles Woods (D-AL)

VSpHcgv.png

[pic: imgur.com/VSpHcgv.png ]

– Writer and activist Denver Riggleman in an image promoting his 2018 run for US Senate, c. 3/3/2018. Riggleman would unexpectedly win both the Republican and Bigfoot nominations for the seat (he was somewhat-closely affiliated with both parties) but would still lose in the general election by 5 percentage points to incumbent Tom Perriello, a progressive Democrat. Nevertheless, his candidacy raised the profile of the Bigfoot party and helped it "technically" qualify for major-party status in Virginia in 2019 (the status was unsuccessfully challenged by the VAGOP three months before the state's 2019 general elections, but the controversy was rendered moot by Bigfoot party candidates failing to perform well enough in said elections to qualify for major-party status in the commonwealth in 2020).

CX0vIQV.png

[pic: imgur.com / CX0vIQV.png ]

– The Bigfoot Party is hard to pin down ideologically due to its members supporting various causes on the far-right, far-left and radical-center of the political spectrum. While initially laughed off as a satirical party, the party leadership’s serious approach to founding state and local chapters, and its production and distribution of professionally-made TV ads, radio segments, posters, and chapter netsites, has gradually convinced some to view the party more seriously, as a legitimate political vessel for “non-traditional solutions to the issues plaguing our plane of existence,” as party affiliate Marianne Williamson put it in a September 2021 interview.

The Primary Planks of the Bigfoot Party:
Total Government Transparency – If we are the greatest country on earth, why does our government hide so much behind the phrase “that’s classified”? Why would the greatest country on Earth have so much to hide? The whole point of government is to have leadership reflective of the people. And the people demand to know everything that their government does!

Defend All From Government Oppression – President Grammer’s libertarianism does not go nearly far enough. We will ensure that government does not infringe onto the properties, the privileges, and the rights of the people.

Use The Government To Help, Not Harm – We will keep the government out of people’s personal lives by implementing public works programs and improving UNC services to cut down on long lines and remove whatever is left of the once-dominant Big Pharma.

Sensible Taxation – If you fly a helicopter to work, your taxes won’t go to paying for roads you don’t use; the more you voluntarily donate to charity, the less amount of your taxes go to social assistance programs, and visa versa.

Limitations on Superwealth – No single human individual can own more than 0.5% of the entire national economy. Pure and simple common sense.

Environmental Protection – It will be our administration’s responsibility and duty to support, protect, and defend the environment, and all species of all planets, including cryptids and the unexplained, against all enemies, foreign and domestic, animal, vegetable, and mineral.

Scientific Innovation – We will use funds that the government currently wastes on war to invest in the scientific study, research, and development of alternate energy and lost technology, including alternative medicine, the energy fields of the Egyptian pyramids, and Atlantean interstellar travel capabilities.

Peace on Earth and Elsewhere – Our administration will promote holistic and wholesome goodwill to all nations. We will have peaceful relations with all people in all nations, on all planets, and in all planes/dimensions of existence.

No Nukes on Earth – We will ban the military use and development of nuclear weapons, but permit “constructive” nuclear uses such as destroying Earth-bound meteors or using them in science experiments carried out in uninhabited sections of Deep Space.

– bigfootparty.co.usa/mission-statement, c. October 2018
(As posted here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-sanders-timeline.516244/page-6#post-22306076 )

Also, because I only just learned about this obscure political party and because I think it matches this section of the TL quite well:

A precursor to the Bigfoot Party ITTL is the OTL "Universal Party" created by Kirby J. Hensley (1911-1999) in 1963 (both IOTL and ITTL). It was a political party touting a libertarian ideology but on a cosmic scale! "The Universal Party should promote the intelligent form of government known as Libertarianism in every Nation in which it is established as a political organization, and that its interpretations on Libertarianism should also be propagated in every Township, County, and State; and World, Solar System, and Galaxy, in the Universe." (OTL! Source: https://www.ourcampaigns.com/PartyDetail.html?PartyID=1605 ) IOTL/ITTL, it dissolved in the 1970s, but I feel like the Bigfoot Party (or at least, the Bigfoot Party's libertarian faction), is a spiritual successor to Mr. Hensley's long-forgotten brainchild.

BTW: Turtledove Season 2022 is now open!: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...nominations-and-seconds.523974/#post-22793850

Last edited:
[vid: youtube.com/watch?v=LzPwWu4PKjU ]
Segment from OurVids video on Colonel Sanders

The 1986 gubernatorial election in the Bay state was notable in that every ticket included at least one Greek American:

tgdZiSS.png

[pic: imgur.com/tgdZiSS.png ]

Gov. Michael Dukakis / state party organizer Joyce Spiliotis (Democratic) – 1,109,175 (58.25%)
Businessman George Kariotis / businessman Nicholas M. Nikitas (Republican) – 528,723 (27.29%)
Actor John Cassavetes / fmr US Rep. Nick Mavroules (Liberty) – 175,531 (9.06%)

Businessman Christy Mihos / businessman Gale D. Candaras (Independent) – 80,209 (4.14%)
Fmr state rep. Nicholas Paleologos / fmr state Republican party chair Andrew Natsios (Independent) – 21,699 (1.12%)
Fmr state rep. Mary E. Coyne Fantasia / fmr state rep. George Keverian (Natural Mind) – 10,850 (0.56%)
Businessman Norman MacConnell Jr. / fmr state rep. Charles Decas (Country) – 6,393 (0.33%)
Fmr state sen. Carlton M. Viveiros / activist Max Volterra (Victory) – 2,325 (0.12%)
Activist Theodore J. Aleixo Jr. / activist Nickolas Lambros (Independent) – 1,744 (0.09%)
All write-in votes (all scattered) – 775 (0.04%)
Total votes – 1,937,424 (100%)
All blank votes – 953
Total turnout – 1,936,471

– clickopedia.co.usa

ZjpwxxU.png

[pic: imgur.com/ZjpwxxU.png ]

– US Senator Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-PO), one of the most popular lawmakers in the United States as of July 4, 2021

[vid: youtube.com/watch?v=NdWFXc7tS14 ]
KFC's "Lady Godiva" Commercial, c. 1961

And the polls for best Finished TL are finally up!
For Best Finished TL: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/2022-turtledoves-best-finished-timeline-poll.524614/
For Best Cold War-to-Contemporary TL: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...old-war-to-contemporary-timeline-poll.524611/
These are the last chances for the KFC TL to get a Turtledove, so I appreciate the vote! Thank you all for your support!

Last edited:
Got a new batch:
  1. Improved Game Kid logo (1989-2003)
  2. Mel Blanc (1908-1997) with a Bugs Bunny mascot at his 80th birthday party (May 30, 1988)
  3. An abandoned Taco Bell restaurant, 2008
  4. Publicity photo of former Marine, boxer, lawyer, prosecutor, and referee Mills Lane for his courtroom show Judge Mills Lane (1998-2018), 1998
  5. A vinyl flyer promoting retired baseball player Donald Trump's reality show The Apprentice (2004-2019) in New York City (2004)
  6. The leads of High High (Jodie, Bobby, Daria, Butt-head and Beavis)
  7. ShowBiz logo evolution (1980-present)
  8. Chuck E. Cheese's logo evolution (1977-2017)
  9. Chuck E.'s Party Time Band Cyberamic show (1998)
  10. Rick Bailey performing live in Orlando (2015)
  11. 3-Stage Rock-afire Explosion show at a ShowBiz (1995)
  12. A New Rock-afire Explosion show at a ShowBiz (1998)
  13. A Moonrockers show at a Moon Rockin' Pizza (2001)
  14. Vladimir Putin speaking live at an event (2020)
  15. Still from the Futurama series finale "Meanwhile" (2022)
  16. John Goodman as Fred and Rick Moranis as Barney in the 1995 film adaptation of The Flintstones
  17. Washington Warriors logo and branding example (2015-present)
  18. The former Bonwit-Teller flagship store in New York, now a series of offices (2019)
  19. Photo of longtime Garfield voice actor Lorenzo Music (1937-). circa 1990s; ITTL, Music still voices the fat, lasagne-loving, Monday-hating, Jon-tormenting, Odie-kicking orange tabby cat to this day.
  20. Robin Williams (1951-) attending the premiere of a Star Wars spin-off movie starring his popular prequel trilogy character Jett-Jett Binks (2018)

Last edited:
Just one more of these posts:

[vid: youtube.com/watch?v=jPglaBKgids ]
- An old KFC commercial, c. 1961

N5lAI7s.png

[pic: imgur.com/N5lAI7s.png ]
– A collage of logos from the Democratic and Republican primaries of 1964

fE89j0n.png

[pic: imgur.com/fE89j0n.png ]
– Colonel Sanders, KFC CEO Lee Cummings, and a member of the FLG, Inc. Board of Directors cut the ribbon at new KFC outlet in Greenville, South Carolina, c. Summer 1982

Also: there's only a few days left to vote in the poll for “Best Cold War to Contemporary Timeline 2021.” There's a real chance this TL could finally win a Turtledove Award!: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...old-war-to-contemporary-timeline-poll.524611/ A huge amount of thanks to everyone who has supported this TL over the years!

Last edited:
[vid: youtube.com/watch?v=WghT3cIxXS0 ]

– KFC Australia commercial, 1982

WeQpt1V.png

[pic: imgur.com/WeQpt1V.png ]

– Former President Colonel Sanders not wearing his iconic duds in a rare moment

[vid: youtube.com/watch?v=nvNvSEZWF-E ]

– Colonel Sanders cameos in a film made by his good friend, Jerry Lewis, prior to accepting the GOP nomination for President in the summer of 1964

Aamlobo.png

[pic: imgur.com/Aamlobo.png ]

– President Colonel Sanders and former US Secretary of State Jack Kennedy shake hands before a Presidential debate, 1968

Only 2 days left to vote!: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...old-war-to-contemporary-timeline-poll.524611/

Here are two new images I've made (plus a third one I retroactively added):
  1. A still of Dan Castellaneta reprising Krusty the Clown from The Krusty the Clown Show (2010-2016)
  2. Christopher Collins at the 2019 San Diego Comic Con
  3. Phil Hartman in a 2021 live appearance

Last edited:
Three more images:
  1. New version of the Micro-LaserDisc logo (1994-present)
  2. Alternate "Micro-LD" logo, used more often than the Micro-LaserDisc logo from around 2003 onward due to the decline of the original LaserDisc format (1998-present)
  3. Cover for the 1996 Micro-LD release of the Back to the Future Trilogy (1988, 1992, 1993). In the sequel, Marty, Doc and Jennifer travel to August 11, 2018 instead of October 21, 2015, and Part III sees Marty travel to April 13, 1888 (instead of September 2, 1885) to rescue 1988 Doc. (The present date in the first film is July 30, 1988, and Marty travels to August 2, 1958.)

Okay, here's another: Mark L. Walberg hosting Let's Play Crosswords (2007—present), 2014. IOTL, it was Merv Griffin's Crosswords with Ty Treadway as host, ran for one season, and was a flop. I'd imagine Merv would be able to polish the format so it'd translate to a long-runner like his other two iconic game shows, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune. Even a promo reel bragged it would become the third jewel in his triple crown, to which this song oughta be appropriate.

Last edited:
250px-Buddy_Holly.png

- Still from a 2004 episode of Futurama, wherein several famous musicians were cloned. Tom Kenny, who famously played Buddy Holly in a 1990 TV mini-series, voiced him in this episode.

paul-wellstone-1.jpg

- Comedian Al Franken, Governor Paul Wellstone (DFL - MN) and campaign staffer William McLaughlin smile for a picture during a campaign stop in New York, circa 2000.

Last edited:
KYCORcolsanders_ks07.jpg

- The famous Colonel Sanders statue, located in the former president's hometown of Corbin, Kentucky, at the fittingly named Sanders Park. A similar statue resides outside of the Sanders family estate.

3efff66b64db84a1b150a88b489296be.jpg

- An early model of the Colonel Sanders animatronic used for the first iteration of Disneyworld's Hall of Presidents in 1971. For the unveiling, a replica of the Colonel's iconic cane and a bucket of KFC were used to accessorize it. The Colonel himself managed to squeeze time to see the unveiling of the animatronic and was surprised at the results. First Lady Claudia Sanders also enjoyed the experience, though she felt that face of the animatronic needed work.