Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

So did Turtledove have FDR been paralyzed from polio* as well?

Again I may not be remember the material correctly, but I believe Flora Blacford's observations of FDR described him as mostly immobile. I assumed that he was still stricken with polio, but without the therapy at warm springs, he did not recover as well as he did in OTL.

And a small aside, did Asst. Sec. Roosevelt hit on Congresswoman Blackford? 😁

Pangur

Donor
So did Turtledove have FDR been paralyzed from polio* as well?

Again I may not be remember the material correctly, but I believe Flora Blacford's observations of FDR described him as mostly immobile. I assumed that he was still stricken with polio, but without the therapy at warm springs, he did not recover as well as he did in OTL.

And a small aside, did Asst. Sec. Roosevelt hit on Congresswoman Blackford? 😁
He did have him paralayzed and in the wheel chair

JU-52 is all well and fine, BUT!

Douglas, of everlasting DC-3, DC-6, and C-47 fame was from California. The founder hailed from New York. So why not, for once, turn everything around and have everyone used the C-47, which was the superior aircraft.
well, the "Alligator" transport, as described in "In at the Death" had three engines and a ribbed construction. it's basically the Ju-52

That could well be the case. I know that plenty of political dissidents were targeted first just like the Nazis did IOTL. The same could also apply to any labor unions in the CSA and they'd likely be targeted next. Soundwave's post postulates that there'd be plenty of whites in concentration camps separate for them, as is the case with Willy Knight prior to his execution. They'd likely also be used for slave labor and be subjected to an "extermination through labor" program like what the Nazis did. It's also going to be the case with the African-Confederates as there's a scene mentioned where Camp Determination prisoners were forced to build and expand the facilities ultimately used to exterminate them. Prisoners all around would be transported to wherever backbreaking work was needed throughout the CSA and occupied territories, in my opinion. This would likely be the case as well with blacks from the Caribbean along with their white and mixed-race counterparts.
point in fact, having just re-read "In at the Death" the CSA DOES in fact use white slave laborers in their Rocket Factories in Huntsville Alabama. Cinncinatus Driver and his truck convoy are used to transport them to a hospital, and the sight of these white prisoners makes him pause to reflect on the true depths of Featherston's evil. If I was reading it right, He knew the CSA hated blacks, but it never occurred to him that such things could happen to White people too.

Great post, but sorry to burst your bubble, Fairchild can't be a Confederate company ITTL since they originated in New York. I'd definitely like to see what Fairchild would be producing for the Yankees.
I based it on Fairchild's final HQ being in San Antonio. I am actually hard-pressed to find pre-1940 Aircraft companies based in what would have been the CSA, so i "handwaved" a bit.

Why so many people use Hughes as he was born in Texas. There is probably something like Confederate Aircraft Company or Virginian Aviation, or my favorite Palmetto Aviation.

Prominent Officers of the Confederate Military, Second Great War (1941-1944)

Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest III, Chief of the CSA General Staff, seen with his Wife in 1939

George S. Patton, Commander, Army of Kentucky, seen in Alabama shortly before his final surrender, 1944

1610140481757.png

Gen. Matthew Ridgeway, Army of Tennessee, Seen in the Fighting in Pittsburgh

1610206728669.png

Last Photo of Brigadier Gen. Claudius Easley, Army of Georgia, killed in South Carolina the day of the Confederate Surrender.

1610206687281.png

Brigadier Gen. Charles L. Keerans Jr, Army of Georgia, killed by Friendly Fire outside Atlanta in 1943.

Samuel "Chesty" Puller, CS Marine Corps, seen in Bermuda, 1941

General Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr, CSMC, seen in Haiti in 1942.

Admiral Chester Nimitz, CNO, Confederate States Navy

1610141149893.png

Admiral Richard Byrd, Commander, CSN Carribean Fleet Operations

Admiral Husband Kimmel, Commander, Atlantic Fleet Operations, CSN

Gen. Ira Eaker, Chief of Air Operations, Confederate Air Force

Pre-War Photo of Gen. Billy Mitchell, the "Father" of the Confederate Air Force, seen in a "Confederate Citrus Company" "Security Staff" uniform, 1937.​

Attachments

• 1610206671013.jpeg
    1610206671013.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
You might want to check your facts on Billy Mitchell again, even though he was born in France, his father was from Wisconsin and served in the Union Army.

You might want to check your facts on Billy Mitchell again, even though he was born in France, his father was from Wisconsin and served in the Union Army.
and Patton was Born in California. he's still a Confederate in the books.
It's Alternative History. Loyalties can change.

Patton's family originated from Virginia, so it makes sense that he would Stay there and not move to California since the South won their independence. Billy Mitchell staying in the US would make more sense.

Also, you forgot Nathan Bedford Forrest III, who was head of the CSA General Staff

Patton's family originated from Virginia, so it makes sense that he would Stay there and not move to California since the South won their independence. Billy Mitchell staying in the US would make more sense.

Also, you forgot Nathan Bedford Forrest III, who was head of the CSA General Staff
Patton's Grandmother moved to California after her husband was killed during the Civil War, so Patton himself is two generations removed from the CSA. Even if his grandmother hadn't moved his father might have during the period between the War of Secession and the Second Mexican War, before the CSA had a Pacific Coast.

and it's kind of hard to find an appropriate photo to represent a fictional person, especially one symbolizing such a significant role X) This is meant to symbolize "real" people who might have ended up serving the CSA.

Last edited:
Patton's Grandmother moved to California after her husband was killed during the Civil War, so Patton himself is two generations removed from the CSA. Even if his grandmother hadn't moved his father might have during the period between the War of Secession and the Second Mexican War, before the CSA had a Pacific Coast.

and it's kind of hard to find an appropriate photo to represent a fictional person, especially one symbolizing such a significant role X) This is meant to symbolize "real" people who might have ended up serving the CSA.
Well, since her husband died in 1864 OTL, he was likely still alive since the CSA won their independence probably by 1863 since the battle that secured CSA independence was in 1862. That would explain why the Patton family would still have stayed in Virginia. If we use that as a base, we can also assume that because General Billy Mitchell was from a Northern State, whose father fought on the Northern side of the war, it is likely that his family stayed in the US. I can't see a reason why he would go south, especially being on hte losing side of a war.

For Nathan Bedord Forrest III, he was a real person. Just look it up on the turtledove wiki and wikipedia:

Maybe, but Patton's family was originally from Virginia. Since Mitchell's father served in the Civil war on the Union side, it would probably be a good bet that his son would remain loyal. Especially, since the relationship with France, wasn't good in the timeline 191 world.

Well, since her husband died in 1864 OTL, he was likely still alive since the CSA won their independence probably by 1863 since the battle that secured CSA independence was in 1862. That would explain why the Patton family would still have stayed in Virginia. If we use that as a base, we can also assume that because General Billy Mitchell was from a Northern State, whose father fought on the Northern side of the war, it is likely that his family stayed in the US. I can't see a reason why he would go south, especially being on hte losing side of a war.

For Nathan Bedord Forrest III, he was a real person. Just look it up on the turtledove wiki and wikipedia:
good GOD he looks even worse than i imagined from the books.

Alright, guess it's Edit time

goddammit, if he was an Air Force General ITTL like he was IRL it would solve both my present issues on Officers.

Last edited:
Good eye right there! If I were to make an analogue, it's likely there's a concentration camp complex akin to Dora-Mittelbau nearby in the mountains and hills. In addition to the FPG overseeing production, it's likely the CS Air Force will be in on it as well.
point in fact, having just re-read "In at the Death" the CSA DOES in fact use white slave laborers in their Rocket Factories in Huntsville Alabama. Cinncinatus Driver and his truck convoy are used to transport them to a hospital, and the sight of these white prisoners makes him pause to reflect on the true depths of Featherston's evil. If I was reading it right, He knew the CSA hated blacks, but it never occurred to him that such things could happen to White people too.

Last edited:
Proposal to use the following (from my head-cannon ideas):
Roy Geiger, CSMC, Deputy Commandant for Aviation
Alexander Vandegrift, CSMC, Commandant of the Marines
--Contenders for CSMC Assistant Commandant:
Charles D. Barrett (born Kentucky though; could go either way)
Ralph S. Keyser
Holland Smith

Fyi, some of the images are missing on the OP.

In addition to your first post on Puller, would you propose/agree to have him as the Governor General of Occupied Haiti (my head-canon idea derived from it).

Samuel "Chesty" Puller, CS Marine Corps, seen in Bermuda, 1941​