Photos from Alternate Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT45

Banned
Not very good I know. Quote to go along with this.

Aragorn: The Beacons of Zhongdu! The Beacons are lit! China calls for aid.
Theoden:
And Rohan will answer. Muster the Rohirrim. Assemble the army at Dunharrow. As many men as can be found. You have two days. On the third, we ride for China and war.

Untitled.jpg

VT45

Banned
:D

Ironically, I was reading the other day that in the first draft of the Hobbit, China was mentioned as being around contemporaneously with Silmarillion events, never mind Gondor...

Yeah, isn't Utumno supposed to be China or something like that?

An unidentified woman vainly searches store shelves in Billings, Montana for wares.

As the US blockade continued of Montana continued, the economic effects became more and more evident. Most stores ran out of supplies within three weeks of the blockade, with critical survival supplies, such as bottled water, flashlights, etc, all gone within one. Most of Montana's cities, already emptied of its more liberal residents, became virtual ghost towns. The countryside, in contrast, was more populated from the gun owners immigrating in mass and training for the perceived coming guerrilla war with the United States. Farmers and ranchers had struck up ad hoc barter systems with each other for food and supplies. Helena attempted to purchase food and other supplies to better support the militias, though the majority of farmers and ranchers refused to accept Montanan currency, demanding payment in dollars. Supply for militia units varied with each one, most of them required each soldier to feed himself. Desertion was a problem.

The timing of this photo is eerie given what's happening on the Gulf Coast right now....

Thande

Donor
Yeah, isn't Utumno supposed to be China or something like that?

No, you're thinking of something else. Utumno is in the far north. The idea was, at the time when he was writing in 1937, that human civilisations were already going in China, India and Hildórien (Iraq) at the same time as the wars of the Silmarillion were happening in Beleriand (now mostly sunken land that was west of Europe).

Thande

Donor
Stills from rare footage showing the IRA terrorist bombing of 1971 which destroyed the BBC Television Centre, the worst loss of civilian life on British soil since the Second World War.

ME A.JPG

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
:eek:
What are the real pictures of?

It's a sequence from an episode of The Goodies, an anarchic British TV show from the 1970s. Despite a small budget, they often pulled off effects like this (I think it was a model shot, because after the explosion cleared there was a vague image of the buildings in ruins, but unfortunately the Youtube video doesn't go that far).

Krall

Banned
It's a sequence from an episode of The Goodies, an anarchic British TV show from the 1970s. Despite a small budget, they often pulled off effects like this (I think it was a model shot, because after the explosion cleared there was a vague image of the buildings in ruins, but unfortunately the Youtube video doesn't go that far).

You don't need to explain what the The Goodies is! If he doesn't know then let him stew in his pot of uncivilised barbarism alone and unloved as it should be! :mad:

You don't need to explain what the The Goodies is! If he doesn't know then let him stew in his pot of uncivilised barbarism alone and unloved as it should be! :mad:

*Tastes the stew*

It's quite good actually, even considering the fact that I am boiling in it :D

Thande

Donor

Steady, sir. After all, the conspiracy never to repeat it, ever,* means that we need to take this into account if our foreign friends are unaware of it.

*Although this also means that, unlike their rivals the Pythons, they haven't been driven into dreadful unfunniness by Ameriteens mindlessly quoting them for the past fifteen years.

*Although this also means that, unlike their rivals the Pythons, they haven't been driven into dreadful unfunniness by Ameriteens mindlessly quoting them for the past fifteen years.

I object to that - I was mindlessly quoting Monty Python a full twenty years ago (and don't do it much anymore, except when I'm talking to myself.) :D

Thande

Donor
I object to that - I was mindlessly quoting Monty Python a full twenty years ago (and don't do it much anymore, except when I'm talking to myself.) :D

Yes, but twenty years ago, it wasn't mindless - it's not mindless if you or I quote comedies from five or ten years ago now - it's mindless when they keep doing it (and always of the same five sketches) over and over as though no-one has ever referenced it before.

Anyway, back to photos from alternate worlds -

A Messerschmitt Bf-109 export model (known to its American operators as the "Firebolt") as supplied by the Third Reich to the United States under the Lend-Lease programme. Although controversial at the time, Imperial Japan was the common enemy of both Germany's ally China and the USA, and President Lindbergh was only happy to accept such support at a time when America's economy was still gearing up for a war footing.

Me_109F-4_us.jpg

A Messerschmitt Bf-109 export model (known to its American operators as the "Firebolt") as supplied by the Third Reich to the United States under the Lend-Lease programme. Although controversial at the time, Imperial Japan was the common enemy of both Germany's ally China and the USA, and President Lindbergh was only happy to accept such support at a time when America's economy was still gearing up for a war footing.

Gotta love the "Lindbergh converts USA to Nazi ally" scenarios... :p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.