"Phil won't leave his room" - A Doctor Who Production History

Here's a snippet for one of the many wiki pages I'm working on.
season 20.png

forg.jpg

A little bit off-topic, but Andrew Hickey who's done some wonderful writing and plotting for this thread has a short story in the anthology Forgotten Lives featuring an intriguing adventure of one of the Morbius Doctors. There's only going to be one print run of this and all profits go to Alzheimer's charities. Preorders close at midnight GMT on December 6th. The book will contain beautiful art of the Doctors by Paul Hanley. More information on the Forgotten Lives Twitter. Order now!

Last edited:
No. Obverse have said that 1. scarcity drives up sales, raising more money for charity and 2. a small run keeps the unofficial nature of the anthology more tolerable in the eyes of copyright holders.

Does everyone want The Wrong Doctors recap to continue with the same level of description as that first bit up there or a bit more of a brief summary? I can continue with the same detail, but it will mean updates will come slowly and one story will take up six or seven parts.

Does everyone want The Wrong Doctors recap to continue with the same level of description as that first bit up there or a bit more of a brief summary? I can continue with the same detail, but it will mean updates will come slowly and one story will take up six or seven parts.

Please.

Part 27 - The Wrong Doctors (Chapter 2)
The TARDIS lands on the Dalek warship and the future Doctor and Koryn emerge. The room is filled with pictures of The Doctor, diagrams and infographics [1]. The Doctor places a hand on the TARDIS. "Sometimes, you are quite brilliant. Take a look Koryn, a Dalek classroom and I'm the subject of all the lessons. The one place on a Dalek warship the TARDIS wouldn't look out of place."

PicPart27.jpg

From the Christmas 1993 Radio Times

The two travelers peek outside the classroom into the corridor. "Where are we going?" asks Koryn.

"We need to find the departure and return points of the Dalek squads that are attacking my timeline. We can't risk survivors returning to the warship and alerting Dalek command that there are counterattacks by unexpected versions of me. Back into the doorway!", the Doctor barks. A Dalek glides down the corridor, stops before an alcove and says "CALL-TRANSPOD".

An open lift slides down to fill the alcove. The Dalek steps inside and demands "MAINTENANCE-ROOM-7"; the lift zooms away.

Koryn turns to The Doctor to see him totally absorbed in a handheld device that might be a Gameboy or something like that. "It might be hypocritical, but these Daleks have become too dependent on technology. A few generations ago I'd have been in trouble, but now…"; he holds up the handheld device which is displaying a map. "The Daleks have a central computer database to draw upon, all stored in chips attached to their organic parts. I was able to access it like the 'computer hackers' of old. One cybernetic race has already been neutralized because of this. Surprisingly foolish of the Daleks not to learn from their mistakes."

"A gadget for everything. You haven't changed, Doctor."

"I have three things that will save us. This little thing," he holds up the handheld device "this equally little thing," he holds up something like a small gas mask, to fit over the nose and mouth, it has what appears to be a small filter canister in its centre. The Doctor holds his frock coat open slightly, "And finally, this waistcoat. We're going to win this Koryn."

The Doctor carefully steps into the corridor and stands before the alcove, putting on the facemask. He gestures at Koryn to join him. He speaks through the mask and what comes out is a screeching Dalek voice, "CALL-TRANSPOD". When the lift arrives, The Doctor and Koryn step into it. "PORT-NINE-CONTROL" he barks. He winks at Koryn and the lift carries them away.

London, 1986. Sophie Chen is walking the streets wearing sunglasses and with her head down. She freezes in her tracks. We see a group of people hanging around outside a bank. They're a basically unremarkable group of middle-aged suburban types, but they are all scowling, eyes darting back and forth as if expecting trouble. Fear plays across Sophie's face. She slowly turns around and starts to walk away when she notices a Police Box a few yards away. It wasn't there before. Her paces quickens, but she's being careful not to draw attention to herself by running. As she reaches the box she searches her pockets and finds a key. Her hands shake as she unlocks the door and slips inside.
__________________​

"This was the period where I started to meet a lot of TV pros who had grown up watching Doctor Who. When we started work on this, the set guy asked if it was possible to feature the wooden console room from the 70s. That was something Paddy had commissioned to take up less space, though I can't remember if the Jules Verne look came from her or the designer. Anyway, I'd said to the set guy on Wrong Doctors that as much as it was a lovely idea, that set was long gone. 'I have a friend who has one' he said. Sure enough, he knew someone, a film and TV pro who'd built a wooden TARDIS set in his garage and was willing to share it with us for a nominal fee."

- PJ Hammond, DVD Extra, The Wrong Doctors
__________________​

Sophie is shocked when she enters an unfamiliar TARDIS console room. An unfamiliar Doctor is less of a shock. "Doctor, have you changed again?"

"In way yes, in another way not yet. You must be from my future. The TARDIS is currently in communication with future versions of itself and it seems to trust you." The Doctor gestures to an armchair that didn't appear to have been there earlier. The Doctor glances down at the small TARDIS console and having done so, walks over to a large, mahogany sideboard where a chrome covered machine sits; it's an all purpose hot drink machine. "Coffee, white two sugars, yes?" Sophie smiles at The Doctor's avuncular manner. The Doctor places her drink and a plateful of chocolate digestives on a side table. As he gets himself a cup of tea and a vanilla slice, his manner becomes more grave. He sits himself in yet another chair that wasn't there a moment ago. "Something tells me it's a long time since you smiled...tell me about it" he says, bringing the tea to his lips, his now piercing gaze fixed on Sophie.

As Sophie speaks, we see a montage of bleak streets, headlines on news vendors' stands and politicians on TV. "It all happened so gradually. There were some violent incidents…terrorists, gangsters…all the stuff that you see in the papers, but…there was this MP who started to say they were all linked. Every time someone was found dead, every time there was an explosion somewhere in the city, he said it was all part of one big scheme. He made all sorts of implications as to who was behind it, but underneath the things he said was the same central idea, it was foreigners. Another MP, Morgan Lacey, you know him? No? He started railing against…again, it was very broad. He seemed to object to the 1980s. Every sign of modernity, swearing on TV, androgynous pop stars it was all an assault on the 'glorious traditions' of the British people. You see where this is going? The papers liked him and suddenly the 'assault on glorious traditions' people teamed up with the 'foreign violence' people and everything started to be blamed on foreigners. After the stock market crash in 1984, they started to place restrictions on what jobs foreigners could do, how much they could earn and then where they could go. Morgan Lacey ended up as Prime Minister and not long after that 'British' started to mean 'white'. I mean, I was born in Chichester, but today I was going to the bank on the only day of the week I'm allowed to go. But there was a crowd of 'patriots', ready to intimidate anyone like me."

"An old trick, but every civilization seems to fall for it sooner or later. One thing concerns me more than anything else, what should be the least important part of your story."

"What's that?"

"There wasn't a stock market crash in 1984. History has been changed."

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...IT'S TIME FOR ONE IN A MILLION!"

The opening titles of a gameshow are playing.

"AND HERE'S YOUR HOST, TERRY SLADE!"

Terry (Royce Mills) strides confidently onto the set and begins to chuckle his way through his opening monologue. "I dunno, have you seen the queues for food these days? And these outsiders complain that…"

The picture mixes through to the programme playing silently on a TV in a shop window. A handful of people are watching, among them The Doctor and Sophie.
__________________​

"We asked quite a few real game show presenters, but they all didn't like how the host in the script is a bit creepy and a racist and there was the risk that their everyday, proper hosting duties would get tainted by association. Bob Monkhouse was sympathetic, but he'd already had a straight role in Season 27 and didn't want to spoil it. Royce was already booked to do Dalek voices for us and a light just went over my head. He had this great humorous face and he'd worked with Dick Emery and Kenny Everett. I just knew he'd be able to give the part a 'showbiz' feel."

- PJ Hammond, DVD Extra, The Wrong Doctors
__________________​

Sophie winces at the gameshow. "Come on, Doctor. I know his routines of old."
"No, wait. Why is everyone so fascinated by a show they can't hear?"

As if to underline his point, the small crowd starts to laugh a rasping, barking laugh. The Doctor asks one of them what's so funny. "He's got a comical face, hasn't he?" The person's attention turns to Sophie. "What's she doing here? She's one of them!"

"She's my servant!" says The Doctor desperately.

"Well, I suppose that's OK. You being her better and everything. But you need to get her out of here."

"Yeah, a Chinese takeaway!" shouts one hateful wag. The barking laugh resumes as Sophie and The Doctor walk briskly away.

Eventually, The Doctor and Sophie walk up to the Houses of Parliament. The Doctor walks up to the policeman guarding the entrance. The Doctor beams with fulsome cheer.
"Good evening. A cold night to be out on duty. I hope those rogues in there award you a pay rise before they award another one to themselves."

"No unauthorized persons beyond this point."

The Doctor's grin freezes and an undertone of menace enters his manner. "Do I look unauthorized to you?" He moves closer to the policeman, towering over him. "Do you maybe think that I'm…foreign? Do I look foreign to you?"

"Y-you sound…"

"I sound what?" The Doctor is still smiling mirthlessly.

"S-scottish?"

"Scotland is part of Great Britain. Do you know what Great Britain is? Do you have even the first idea of what Britain's greatness is?" The question hangs in the air. "I am going in there to see my old pal Morgan Lacey, do you understand?"

"But she's a…"

"She is my personal servant. She knows her place. Do you know your place?" Once more the question is left hanging. After a few moments The Doctor and Sophie walk past the policeman without any resistance.

Inside parliament Sophie says "That was frightening."

"The one bright spot in authoritarian regimes. You can get around certain protections by just shouting louder. I'm ashamed of myself in one way, but I need to get a good look at this Morgan Lacey."

The Doctor strides into one of the House of Commons bars, takes off his Inverness cape and tosses it to Sophie who staggers under the weight. While the conversation doesn't stop, it quietens down to take in the new stranger. The conversation returns to its normal volume and The Doctor turns to Sophie and says under his breath "One of this lot is Morgan Lacey?"

"Over there, with the white beard. He didn't bother to look around when we came in."

The Doctor looks at the man and freezes. Lacey (John Thaw), sensing he's being watched, turns around and on seeing The Doctor his face too registers shock. Lacey strides over to The Doctor, all smiles. "Well, fancy meeting you here. I was told to expect you, but to turn up here in the heart of government? That's bold, even for you. Well, now your here, I must invite you back to Number 10. I really do insist." Lacey is holding the Tissue Compression Eliminator!

The Doctor and Sophie are sitting in a briefing room, under armed guard. "I suppose you know the Daleks are involved," says Lacey. "They recognized my power. Especially my hypnotic power. Impressed?"

"I've heard it before and it wasn't any better then."

"Before?"

"We're out of sync. From my point of view, you've been running around doing this routine for quite some time. Your future is bleak. I shouldn't interfere, but I will say just once. Turn back. Don't give in to evil."

"Evil? Oh dear, you haven't changed enough. These people are blank slates. I don't need to find the evil within them or turn them from good to evil. I just need to put an idea, any idea, into their brains and they seize on it, live for it, die for it, kill for it."

"How?"

"Through their most treasured possessions. Their closest family members. Their televisions."

"It can't work. You've forgotten, Time Lords can turn thoughts into transmissions, but there's no transmitter on Earth that can carry the bandwidth of a mind. Unless you replaced the whole broadcast infrastructure.

"If you can't see what I'm doing here Doctor, perhaps you're stupid enough that *your* mind could be transmitted with no problems. Come on, Doctor, can't you see that we're on the same side here? The Daleks want to sow dissension and cause a third world war, so they can swoop in and take over after the people of Earth have worn each other out with the fighting.”
“I told them I'll help them, but I've made a change to their plans. I'm giving people a common enemy, and also a common leader -- well, perhaps not so common as all that. I am going to unite the people of the Earth, not divide them, so they can stand together against the Dalek invasion, with me as their leader. I'm saving your pet humans for you, Doctor! Of course, if some few hundred million of them have to die so I can save the rest, a simple utilitarian calculation shows it's worth it. The end result is a more peaceful subordination to a superior race, which must be their inevitable end. Just like you, Doctor, and your little pet person here." He gives out a rasping, barking laugh. Sophie looks at The Doctor, shocked.

"Doctor! It's the gameshow!"

"I'm afraid you're right, Sophie. A big fan of One In A Million, Prime Minister?"

"I…I've seen it."

"That's the signal! Your influence was just to get you to a position of power and to realign the political landscape. But the signal is one of sheer hatred. The Daleks have been playing with you. This isn't the inevitable rise to power you dreamed of. They had to break the timeline to get you to this position. Now the hatred in these people is out of your hands."

Lacey shows an emotion that must have been alien to him before now. He's embarrassed. Speaks with a fury, but his voice quavers. "They betrayed me."

"You're a fool. But a young fool. You can't deal with the Daleks. It's not too late to change…"

"NO! I have seen how easy it is to mislead this world. I will be its master!"

The Doctor bows his head in sorrow and says quietly, "No. You won't."

"I will have my revenge on these Dalek creatures!"

"That's more possible. I assume your TARDIS is somewhere nearby. Go back to before this started. Destroy the Daleks and remove their tampering with time."

"I will”, sneers The Master, "but only to set the stage for my own takeover." He opens a door, steps inside and the door vanishes with a familiar grinding sound.

"We'd better get back to my TARDIS. The timeline is about to shift." The Doctor opens the door to another room and shouts, "The Prime Minister wants a ministerial car sending to the front door to carry me and my assistant to our office."

Back in the TARDIS, The Doctor stares intently at a display on the console.

"Time is changing, Sophie. Do you want to remember these events? While you're in here you have the choice."

"I think so. It hurts, but I need to be aware of how these things happen."

"In case it happens again?"

"Next time, I might not be the outcast. I might belong to the class that's in charge."

"I like the way you think, Sophie."

"What happens to Morgan Lacey?"

"He'll be back, starting out from an earlier point. I can't quite remember what happens to him. It was another occasion when I was with my other selves, that always clouds the memory afterward. But I know when I try to think about it, I get that tight feeling in my stomach. Whatever happens to him is very, very bad."

Last edited:
The font is The Story Begins & Ends The Story Ends Regular (really, that's its name). I removed some bits from some of the letters.

I can't take the credit for The Master being in the story. My friend Andrew Hickey helped me plot some of this story (the gameshow was my addition). Next time's segment is 99% me, so be warned. I cast John Thaw.