Petike's artworks, illustrations, concept art and doodles

Just a general repository for various kinds of artworks I've made over the years. Aside from my personal poetry thread and my WWI commemoration event photos thread, this might be the most self-indulgent thread I'll ever post here.

I know how to paint a little (tempera, watercolours), but I have mostly been a sketcher/drawer, first and foremost, for the majority of my life. Since the 2000s, I also do more professional digital artworks and photomanipulation.

I will indicate when something is just a doodle or an illustration for an existing work, and when something is either concept art or an illustration for my own works and projects.

Important note: I am only linking to those images I have already hosted here on the site. I will always specify if I am linking to external images or uploading new images, as I understand bandwidth concerns are important and I don't want to hog our site for bandwidth resources.

Feedback and comments are welcomed !

All rights reserved, me and only me.

Last edited:
Shai-Hulud Night Rendezvous (2008)
shai_hulud_night_rendezvous_by_zemplintemplar_d1o8v8a-fullview.jpg

Dune inspired illustration. No scene in particular, just a sort of "snapshot" that clearly visually states "Dune".

The two moons, endless desert, Fremen with thumpers, sandworms, a 'thopter... Notice the kangaroo mouse shape on the first moon.

Thick as Thieves (Orbis Furum) - Hedgehogman head and body concept (2017)
hedgehogman-sketch-jpg.336657

hedgehogman-with-musket-jpg.619289

A hedgehogman. Close-up on head concept (including profile and face-to-face views) and body and clothing concept.

One of several peculiar humanoid species in my major fantasy setting (developed primarily for my RPG).

The hedgefolk are similar in appearance, both men and women, though you can tell them apart by some facial features and other outward features, by voice, and males being usually a tiny bit taller. They are creatures of a shorter stature, with 150 cm (ca 4 feet 11 inches) considered tall for their species.

More info on these guys and gals.

Last edited:
Thick as Thieves (Orbis Furum) - Newtman head and body concept (2017)
newtman-jpg.338206

A newtman. Close-up on head concept (including profile and face-to-face views) and body and clothing concept.

One of several peculiar humanoid species in my major fantasy setting (developed primarily for my RPG).

In my setting, the newtfolk are the equivalent of the watermen and nixes from various European folklore.

Despite their name, they have a more humanoid appearance than most other "beastpeoples".

Last edited:
Carpaverse - Vrkshkrlrhk ("dragon") head concept (2015)
dragon-head-carpaverse-jpg.493297

A Vrkshkrlrhk, a "dragon". The only vaguely humanoid alien species in my space opera setting. A mix of reptilian, avian and mammalian traits, the dragons' homeworld is a fairly Earth-like planet, many hundreds of light years away from Earth. They've been spacefaring since at least the Neolithic times of Earth, suffered one technological collapse, and in the millennia since, had become a developed civilisation again. Predictably, humans had nicknamed them "dragons" rather quickly after official first contact. Later, they had learned the dragons had visited Earth several times in the past and might have, in part, inspired some of the dragon myths devised by humans over the millennia.

Last edited:
Thick as Thieves (Orbis Furum) - Tóla Titavháugsdautír female detective concept (2019)
Last edited:
Curly and the Captain (Aeroverse stories) - Slide-action rifle concept (2019)
sky-pirate-rifle-based-on-a-dream-pump-action-m-h-and-winchester-hybrid-png.493601

Sky pirate slide-action (pump-action) rifle from my Curly and the Captain series of steampunk sky pirate short stories and vignettes.

Based on a rifle I saw in a dream that provided inspiration for said stories and their Aeroverse setting. The gun seen here was put together by combining and editing photos of a 19th century Martini-Henry rifle and a late 1800s Winchester 1897 pump-action shotgun. (Slide-action rifles were actually a thing historically and some still exist today, but they are far rarer than bolt-action rifles or lever-action rifles.)

More information on this slightly whimsical gun here. Personally, along with some other firearms I saw in the dream that inspired this new story series, I think this one not only looks unique while still being practical, but also captures the Jules Verne vibe of these stories.

Last edited:
Curly and the Captain (Aeroverse stories) - Emblems of airship and skyclipper crews (2019) & Official plaque of TIA (2020)
dream-sky-pirates-coa-style-airship-crew-emblems-png.493682

One additional worldbuilding element from my Curly and the Captain steampunk/dieselpunk short story series, set in the so-called Aeroverse. These are the emblems of airship and skyclipper crews, most of them probably air merchants and de facto sky pirates of one form or another. These four emblems were among several I could remember from the dream, but were the only four I could remember distinctly. I've tried to recreate them as best as I could after I wrote down notes about the dream. They often appeared on flags or in a coat of arms style arrangement, so I went with a coat of arms approach. I quite like these finished emblems, they seem believable and grounded, but also have a slight fantasy or otherworldly vibe to them. Fits the tone of the setting perfectly, IMHO. They even remind me of some of the more whimsical but not overdone coats of arms from the real world.

falconer-cloudways-guild-coa-crew-of-the-nimrod-png.510158

A close-up on the emblem of the Nimrod, the zeppelin of the protagonists. Also the emblem of the guild/company run by that crew.

(Given my earlier Dune illustration, nope, that is not an Atreides coat of arms, LOL. :p This is more or less what I saw in the dream that inspired my new story series.)

emblems-tia-official-signage-png.556222

TIA stands for Transports Internationaux Aérien, i.e. "International Aerial Transports", and it's something of a tongue-in-cheek early aviation equivalent of the real world Transports Internationaux Routiers ("International Road Transports"), the organisation behind the famous white-on-blue trucking signs. In my Aeroverse setting, the TIA regulates airship truckers, rather than TIR's road truckers. :D :)

Last edited:
Thick as Thieves (Orbis Furum) - Melzan coats of arms concepts (2016-2017)
erby-melzy-erb-melzy-ve%C4%BEk%C3%BD-modr%C3%BD-variant-png.840687

erby-melzy-erb-melzy-modr%C3%BD-variant-png.840689

The great coat of arms and small coat of arms of Melza, the metropolis from my major fantasy setting.

rody-erb-rodu-terlo-s%C3%BA%C4%8Dasn%C3%BDch-panovn%C3%ADkov-melzy-png.358387

Coat of arms of House Terlo, the third and current dynasty to rule the Melzan monarchy. More info on that here, here and here.

This is the coat of arms of the ruling Lord Baron, his spouse and family (or, more rarely, Lady Baroness and her spouse and family).

erby-melzy-starostovsk%C3%BD-erb-lord-mayor-png.274242
The coat of arms of the Lord Mayor of Melza, the municipal leader of the city state (while the barons are the monarchs). More info.

Last edited:
Curly and the Captain (Aeroverse stories) - Aviation roundels (2020)
Emblems - Aeroverse polities aeroplane roundels.png

Aviation roundels of two fictional countries from my aviation-focused fantasy steampunk/dieselpunk setting, the Aeroverse, appearing in the Curly and the Captain story series.

The roundel on the left is the typical aviation roundel of Avion, a republic and the country with the oldest standing air force in the world.

The roundel on the right is the typical aviation roundel of Kymria, a somewhat parochial kingdom, still famous for its industry and science.

There are some variations on these two roundels in each country, but these are the most commonly seen ones in the "present" of the setting.

Air forces as we understand them today are not entirely there yet as a concept in the Aeroverse. The various countries are starting to establish separate military aviation services, but the situation is reminescent of OTL in the years leading up to the first world war. There has been no successful dogfight yet and though ideas of arming and militarising planes are beginning to appear, no one has successfully achieved them yet. Nevertheless, aeroplanes are starting to appear as a means of military scouting, gathering intel, or early experiments into lighter forms of bombing enemy positions. Some of the countries with more advanced miltary aviation efforts have established the earliest military aircraft markings. Though civilian aerofreighting guilds and companies use more traditionally shaped emblems in the vein of coats of arms, the early military aviation units of the Aeroverse countries opt for roundels and markings more similar to those from our world.

Avion - one of the most powerful republican polities of the known world, the Avionese were among the key technological innovators for many centuries, including in firearms, artillery, much of aviation (they were among the first to invent hot-air balloons), but also in legal and political matters. Nowadays, though they pride themselves for having done away with monarchical ways, giving power to the people, many natives often accuse the domestic society of still harbouring unnecessarily classist attitudes, certain elites concentrating too much power in their own hands, and so on. Even a well-run and idealistic republic is prone to corruption, powerplays and questionable approaches to democracy and equality.

(Avion is basically a fantasy early 1900s French Third Republic. The country's still in fairly optimistic, Belle Époque style laidback mood, though some tensions are on the horizon. Avion is, like France of that era, at a true golden age of aviation innovation. They are one of the undisputed leaders in fixed-wing aeroplane innovation of the Aeroverse. A lot of fantasy Louis Blériots, Robert Esnault-Pelteries, Voisin and Caudron brothers, etc., running around in Avion and dabbling in aeroplane developments for both civilian and military applications.)

Kymria - one of the more industrially developed, but generally still rather rural countries of the known world. Like many places in the inhabited world, it is quite mountainous and rugged in terrain, but also very beautiful. A kingdom with a constitutional monarchy, the people of Kymria consist of many different nationalities, some endemic to local regions within the kingdom. The official language is Kymrese, but there are many minority languages and local dialects. The country is an interesting contrast between fairly rural regions and increasingly industrialised cities. While Kymrians aren't the largest industrialists or innovators in the world, their scientists and academicians have many influential figures. Many Kymrian industrial and military goods get a fair bit of praise for their thoroughness.

(Kymria is sort of a whimsical combination of early 1900s Austria-Hungary and Wales. (This is something of an amusing leftover of the dream that inspired me to create the Aeroverse and the story series set in it in the first place.) As you'd expect, it is a more parochial country, for lack of a better term, but has a surprising amount of very talented and hardworking people of all ages who can really surprise other countries with their innovative efforts, if they really put themselves into it.)

Note: I originally made that dragon roundel for an ATL republic of Wales, for a timeline by one of our members, as a request.

Last edited: