Air and Space Photos from Alternate Worlds.

WARNING: A work in progress, gents, so please spare the likes for now. I intend to finish the details on this one soon enough, smooth it out...

This is the Nimrod, the inanimate star and main setting of my steampunk/dieselpunk story series (see my second signature link).

Smaller planes and tiny human below it, for comparison. Intended to be fictional, but based on the Blériot XI, Etrich/Rumpler Taube, Caudron G.3, and an Aviatik C.III. I plan to feature the first three models (under setting-specific fictional names) as auxilliary planes of this airship.

Last edited:
I started making spaceships on Paint. That's just the beginning of the beginning for now. I'll show you my upcoming progress on this thread.
Huh. I just finished Cities in Flight a month ago and that does look like something out of that book.

That is seriously cool. Love the national emblem too.
Now I'm wondering what movement would use a three-pointed version of the Balkankreuz as an emblem. The Forked Cross was apparently popular in the Rhineland, but the Balkenkreuz is of course derived from the Teutonic Order and Prussia. So we want a German unification movement that starts around Cologne (some kind of Carolingian revival?) that for some reason takes on Prussian colors.

A Carolingian revival...hmmm. Could there be a German Napoleon, who proclaims himself the true successor of Charlemagne and introduces that symbol for spurious historical reasons?

Huh. I just finished Cities in Flight a month ago and that does look like something out of that book.

Now I'm wondering what movement would use a three-pointed version of the Balkankreuz as an emblem. The Forked Cross was apparently popular in the Rhineland, but the Balkenkreuz is of course derived from the Teutonic Order and Prussia. So we want a German unification movement that starts around Cologne (some kind of Carolingian revival?) that for some reason takes on Prussian colors.

A Carolingian revival...hmmm. Could there be a German Napoleon, who proclaims himself the true successor of Charlemagne and introduces that symbol for spurious historical reasons?
That all sounds like the makings for a cool TL. :cool:

Which one of the three ships are you talking about? I didn't think that making them would make them look like a work of fiction already in existence. What's your book about?

there have been timelines that had a dreikaiserbund (union of 3 kaisers), where Germany, Austria-Hungaria and the UP/Netherlands voluntary merged and each region supplied a kaiser, in such a scenario i could imagine such 3 pointed balken kreuz, as a symbol of the 3 kaisers
What's your book about?

Guys and gals, at this rate, I'll just swap out the finished image of that airship with the completed one. No use gathering the same likes twice. :D

Anyway, the completed image is going to have more visual bells and whistles, in addition to the basic airship sideviews. I plan to add a cutaway sideview, to show where the various living quarters, cargo sections and operational sections are, and how far they go. Trust me, only a relatively small fraction of the ship is used for the crew and cargo, but the space that is used for that is used reasonably and to its fullest. Most of the stuff is in the lower parts of the ship, the top parts only include the crow's nest and some defensive gunnery positions (the latter also available elsewhere). Most of the central parts of the ship, lengthwise, are only gas bag compartments, various machinery, the docking mast anchor retracted into the nosecone, and a few walkways and crawlspaces for maintenance. It might be a fairly cool zeppelin, but there's little about it that's fanciful. It's very practicality-focused. Basically, a huge, steampunk flying truck, with the crew members part truckers, part hired guns.

Last edited:

A CG shot of a American carrier from the show Salvation, the US Navy is apparently very different in this reality.

So... Typhoons, A-10, F-22, F-18, Mig-29... I'm guessing the designer just went with "plop whatever plane first shows on google image search"?!

And what's with the design scale? The planes on the catapults look like they have half the size of the other, the Super Puma behind the F-22 is barelly big enough to carry pets...