Personal Map Project: 30,000 People per district

District of Columbia (DBWI)
Ive had trouble piecing together the bigger states at the zoom I do this on (zoom 11) so Ive decided that after a long hiatus to come back with a what if within the what if!

DBWI: What if DC became a state? Answer: it would have 21 districts and theyd look like this

DC.png

Actually this project is offically unfinishable, I was looking over California, specifically LA and there are voting districts (which is what you use to make congressional districts btw) with more then 30,000 people so yea... that sucks

You could do multi-member districts...

Not sure if that would work when it comes to 30,000 people being represented at max, an idea I got after posting this was to just draw artifical borders within these voting districts and pretend inside each is 30,000 people at most, then when I cant fit anymore nicely sized congressional districts inside of it Ill simply add the remaining onto a bordering congressional district

The 1st Congress passed an apportionment amendment that would raise the requirement to 50,000 by the time the population was this large. It will probably never be ratified, but you could use that number instead.

If you want to use a different historical precedent, Congress increased the House by an average 28.4 seats per census between 1790 and 1910. If you extrapolate that to 2010, that would be 720 seats, or 1 for every 428,800 people.

Last edited:

VT45

Banned
Or if you plot the current number of seats in European countries vs their populations, you get a predicted legislature size of 1351 seats for the US, or one seat for every 230k or so people.

The 1st Congress passed an apportionment amendment that would raise the requirement to 50,000 by the time the population was this large. It will probably never be ratified, but you could use that number instead.

If you want to use a different historical precedent, Congress increased the House by an average 28.4 seats per census between 1790 and 1910. If you extrapolate that to 2010, that would be 720 seats, or 1 for every 428,800 people.

That is likely the POD for this scenario then, congress instead decided to keep it at 30,000 per no matter what, thanks for the info

If you ever wanted someone to come along and help I wouldn't mind doing Connecticut and New Hampshire. I know enough about them to try and make "locally sensible" districts.

Edit: Or convert it from DRA to a very large paintable map

If you ever wanted someone to come along and help I wouldn't mind doing Connecticut and New Hampshire. I know enough about them to try and make "locally sensible" districts.

Edit: Or convert it from DRA to a very large paintable map

Ive been having trouble with those two, it can be hard to keep everything balanced and make sure it stays under 30,000 so if you want to give me some advice or something I would happily take it, as for you doing them well I enjoy doing them so Id prefer working on it

Also what do you mean DRA?

Ive been having trouble with those two, it can be hard to keep everything balanced and make sure it stays under 30,000 so if you want to give me some advice or something I would happily take it, as for you doing them well I enjoy doing them so Id prefer working on it

Also what do you mean DRA?

Dave's redistricting app. Turn it from the screenshots themselves to an actual map.

And that's fine about you working on them! I figured as much with the "personal" aspect.

For Connecticut in general it's hard to explain because the cities have their own neighbourhoods which would logically go together. Another good tip is never (unless you need to) put a town district into a city one. Towns hate the cities with a passion.

For New Hampshire is more keep a bunch of the rural areas together and make sure the seacoast is separated by the more affluent/less affluent sections.

Dave's redistricting app. Turn it from the screenshots themselves to an actual map.

Honestly that does sound awesome, especially since I was considering eventually putting them all together into a gigantic map of the alternate USA, thank you for the offer

For Connecticut in general it's hard to explain because the cities have their own neighbourhoods which would logically go together. Another good tip is never (unless you need to) put a town district into a city one. Towns hate the cities with a passion.

For New Hampshire is more keep a bunch of the rural areas together and make sure the seacoast is separated by the more affluent/less affluent sections.

Ill attempt to keep all that in mind, but like I said its hard to keep it all balanced so I might not be able to follow everything to a T, but thanks for the advice

The founding fathers originally wanted each Representative in the house of representatives to only represent at max 30,000 people each, and the question Im trying to answer with this project is what if we never changed that? What if each district only had 30,000 people each?

They will all be created using Dave's redistricting so heres a link to that: http://gardow.com/davebradlee/redistricting/davesredistricting2.5.aspx
I honestly think it would be far better to, at the start at least, work under the concept of the Article the First being adopted; (1,700) districts nationally is more doable then the (10,893) needed under your initial proposal.

VT45

Banned
And that fits actually very well with the quadratic formula I used to come up with that 1351 number.

Actually this project is offically unfinishable, I was looking over California, specifically LA and there are voting districts (which is what you use to make congressional districts btw) with more then 30,000 people so yea... that sucks
And I bet those voting districts are full of black people, and people wait in line to vote for 8 hours.
You'll have to eyeball your own new district for those situations. Please don't let that stop this project.

Last edited: