IOTL, the Oriental Crisis of 1840 sprung up as a result of a standoff between Muhammad Ali's Khedivate of Egypt, which had recently humbled its Ottoman overlords in an armed conflict, and the European Great powers (mainly Britain, Austria, Prussia, and Russia), over the borders of the new Egyptian state. The Great Powers wished to reduce Egyptian control over Syria, in direct conflict with Muhammad Ali's ambitions. He, therefore, appealed to France for support in the crisis, but the French, isolated in this situation, were unwilling to risk war over his new conquests, and, thus, pulled out, forcing the Khedive to accept the terms of the Great Powers.
One part of this intervention confuses me: mainly, Russia. I can understand why they wouldn't want to see the fleeting Ottomans replaced by an energetic, modernising "Alid" empire, as it would be a threat to their ambitions over the straits. However, why did they not support Egypt's claim over Syria?
It could have produced a credible advantage for Russia, as the Egyptians could become Russian allies in future diplomatic debacles with Turkey, while not entirely removing the Ottomans from the picture. Why did Nicholas I not take this route in regards to the crisis?

IOTL, the Oriental Crisis of 1840 sprung up as a result of a standoff between Muhammad Ali's Khedivate of Egypt, which had recently humbled its Ottoman overlords in an armed conflict, and the European Great powers (mainly Britain, Austria, Prussia, and Russia), over the borders of the new Egyptian state. The Great Powers wished to reduce Egyptian control over Syria, in direct conflict with Muhammad Ali's ambitions. He, therefore, appealed to France for support in the crisis, but the French, isolated in this situation, were unwilling to risk war over his new conquests, and, thus, pulled out, forcing the Khedive to accept the terms of the Great Powers.
One part of this intervention confuses me: mainly, Russia. I can understand why they wouldn't want to see the fleeting Ottomans replaced by an energetic, modernising "Alid" empire, as it would be a threat to their ambitions over the straits. However, why did they not support Egypt's claim over Syria?
It could have produced a credible advantage for Russia, as the Egyptians could become Russian allies in future diplomatic debacles with Turkey, while not entirely removing the Ottomans from the picture. Why did Nicholas I not take this route in regards to the crisis?

Why should they? Russia had an all or nothing approach. They did not feel to share the pie if it is available (read: Ottoman Collapse). If Syria is gone the Ottomans could A) be too weak to survive for various reasons and B) go for a pro-Britain, pro-Austria approach. Which basically does not help Russia in the long run.