Our American Cousin: An Assassination Gone Differently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford's Theatre
April 14th, 1865
Washington, D.C.

President Abraham Lincoln walked into the theatre with his wife beside him, ready to enter the Presidential box. After a day of work, the President was ready to simply relax and enjoy a play.

"It's rather nice in here, don't you think?" Lincoln asked his wife, waving as some spotted the President being led to his spot.

"Quite." his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, replied. He looked and saw his other invitees, Major Henry Rathbone and his fiancée, Clara Harris.

"Good evening, Mr. President." Major Rathbone said to him. "Thank you for the invitation."

The play, which had already been playing by the time the prestigious group arrived, ceased. The orchestra started to play "Hail to the Chief" as the audience stood respectfully for the President.

Mary Lincoln turned her head towards her husband and asked him, "What will Miss Harris think of my hanging onto you so?", gesturing to their hand holding.

The President smiled to her. "She won't think anything of it." he said.

The couple turned, and headed to the Presidential Box with Major Rathbone and his fiancée.

John Wilkes Booth
10:26 pm

Actor John Wilkes Booth chose his steps carefully. He was on a mission, and he wanted to make absolutely sure he wouldn't ruin anything.

He walked towards the Presidential Box, where a bodyguard, a local policeman named John Parker, stood. Booth looked at the man and said, "Good sir, do you mind if I pay a visit to President Lincoln?"

The guard looked inside the Box, and informed them that, "Mr. John Wilkes Booth would like to present himself to you, Mr. President."

Booth listened as the President's attention was on the play. Lincoln and the group were laughing, after hearing "Don't know the manners of good society, eh? Well, I guess I know enough to turn you inside out, old gal; you sockdologizing old man trap!"

After hearing the President's laughter fade, he said, "Oh, yes, please, let him in."

Booth walked into the room, let in by Parker. Lincoln smiled and said, "Nice to make your acquaintance, Mr. Booth."

Booth wasted no time. He aimed the gun at the President's head.

However, before he fired, Major Rathbone, who was watching Booth, threw himself in front of the actor. Booth got off one shot, hitting just past the President.

With Booth on the floor, he felt himself pinned to the floor by the Major. He had a mission, and he had failed. President Lincoln was alive.

Abraham Lincoln
En route to the White House
10:43 pm

President Lincoln was riding in a carriage with Mary Todd Lincoln, who was shaken by her husband's near assassination. He himself was deeply shocked, thinking to himself, "By God, my dream nearly came to pass."

He looked to his wife and pulled her closer to himself. "Thank God for Major Rathbone." he muttered. His wife wordlessly clung to him.

He looked out to see the gates of the White House open up for him. Waiting for him was another carriage, where his son, Robert, and Private Secretary John Hay, were about to get on. The two men looked to the President's carriage and immediately went to the President.

Lincoln smiled to them. "Don't worry, gentlemen, I am fine." he smiled. However, his smile dropped when John Hay began to speak.

"Mr.President, Vice President Johnson is dead." Hay stated painfully.

"What?" Lincoln exclaimed, shocked. "I was not the only person targeted?"

Robert Lincoln shook his head. "No. We also received word that Secretary Seward was also attacked. He is gravely injured, and he may not survive." he said.

"My God." the President said. He looked at the two gentlemen. "We should go inside."

The two gentlemen followed President Lincoln into the White House. Mary trailed the two gentlemen, and went to their bedroom. The President, meanwhile, led the two to the Yellow Oval Room to discuss the situation.

Seward dying???? That man is impervious despite his age.

And you need a new Vice-President. *HUzzah for no Johnson*

You can't have one until 1869. The position just goes vacant.

The successor presumptive is the President pro-tem of the Senate - Lafayette Foster of CT.

This will change in March 1867 when Foster leaves the Senate, assuming he still does. OTL they chose Ben Wade as the new PPT, but whethe they still will is anyone's guess. I don't know why he was chosen, as I'm not sure if he was actually the most senior Republican. If they pick someone else, it may be Henry B Anthony of RI, who OTL succeeded Wade in 1869.

However, if Lincoln dies in office prior to Oct 1867, this will trigger a Presidential election in November. So in that case, presumably Grant takes office a year or two earlier than OTL.

You can't have one until 1869. The position just goes vacant.

The successor presumptive is the President pro-tem of the Senate - Lafayette Foster of CT.

This will change in March 1867 when Foster leaves the Senate, assuming he still does. OTL they chose Ben Wade as the new PPT, but whethe they still will is anyone's guess. I don't know why he was chosen, as I'm not sure if he was actually the most senior Republican. If they pick someone else, it may be Henry B Anthony of RI, who OTL succeeded Wade in 1869.

However, if Lincoln dies in office prior to Oct 1867, this will trigger a Presidential election in November. So in that case, presumably Grant takes office a year or two earlier than OTL.

Really? It will remain vacant. Ok, that's interesting.

I'll have to look that up, that's really interesting.

Really? It will remain vacant. Ok, that's interesting.

I'll have to look that up, that's really interesting.

the 1792 Succession Act lays down what would happen in case of a double vacancy. This was modified by further acts in 1886 and 1947, then by the 25th Amendment in 1967.

Funeral of Vice President Andrew Johnson and Secretary of State William Seward
White House, Washington, D.C.
April 18th, 1865

President Lincoln looked upon the two coffins of Vice President Johnson and Secretary Seward sadly, with the American flag draped over them. He looked out as his son walked into the room.

"Father, are you ready to begin?" Robert asked him.

The President looked to him and nodded. "Yes, Robert, I'm ready."

He followed Robert out of the East Room and watched as several people walked in to transport the coffins to the Capitol. President Lincoln got himself ready to board the carriage for the funeral procession organized for the two fallen men.

The President emerged from the White House, and boarded his carriage with Robert. He looked out to see a somber crowd looking upon the two carriages behind him, and he looked to the Capitol, where he would be giving a speech in honor of the two men.

After several minutes, the funeral procession arrived. President Lincoln was led by a staffer from the Capitol to a platform where a large crowd was waiting for him.

"This looks like I'm being inaugurated again.". The President mused.

He looked as the coffins were being placed on the platform behind Lincoln's podium, and after waiting for the last-minute preparations to be made, President Lincoln finally boarded the stage.

Looking out over the crowd, he gathered his notes, and began to speak.

"Friends, fellow countrymen. I speak before you today to honor the life of our Vice President, Andrew Johnson, and our beloved Secretary of State, William Henry Seward. Two of the most honorable men I have ever worked with, Vice President Johnson was an exemplary ally of the country and of the Union, who worked tirelessly to do his part in preserving this glorious Union from the wrath of insurgents, of those that seek its dissolution. I believe that Johnson, had I taken the bullet and not him, would have made an astounding President and would have made Americans more proud of their country than I ever could have. Andy Johnson was one of the greatest men I have ever known, and may God bless him and reward him well in the kingdom of heaven. William Seward was another noble man. He worked by my side tirelessly for these many years, in this dreaded Civil War, working hard at the goal of preserving the Union. William was not only a great man, but he was a noble friend, and he will be dearly missed. God bless him. And to all of you here today, may God bless you all, and may he bless this great Nation!"

Lincoln's speech was recorded in the various newspapers, and was spread across the country. From the Northern states, to the West Coast, to the war-torn Confederacy, many grieved, and some rejoiced, as the news of the deaths of the two men spread.

Is the assassination going to make Lincoln join the Radical Republicans, or will he keep to his planed policy of forgiveness?

He doesn't really have a choice.

Unlike some, he is smart enough to realise that once the Army has reverted to peacetime levels (which he cannot prevent) he will lack the means to enforce anything punitive.

"He didn't say "Let 'em up easy" out of simple goodness of heart, but because it was the only practical option.

Last edited:
The interplay between Lincoln and the Radical Republicans will certainly be interesting. Of course, part of the big drive behind many of the initial measures against the South early on were because of the anger after Lincoln's death. I think Lincoln will do better than Johnson, but then again, that's not saying much. I just hope that Lincoln will help out Grant in choosing his associates, assuming Grant runs this time around in '68. I think if he had done better with that he could have turned out to be a really good president.

Status
Not open for further replies.