OTL Election maps resources thread

The interview rather than the job itself (except indirectly obvs) IIRC.

Calling yourself an 'amateur psephologist' is a pretty good invitation for people to ask you along just to find out what the hell it actually is, turns out.

Word. What kind of job was that? I often wonder how many users on here are in lines of work that coincide with their alternate history and psephological hobbies.

R&D Lab work in my case, though it does mean I can put a little bit of money towards copying and archive access at times.

Calling yourself an 'amateur psephologist' is a pretty good invitation for people to ask you along just to find out what the hell it actually is, turns out.

R&D Lab work in my case, though it does mean I can put a little bit of money towards copying and archive access at times.

What did they think you meant at first?

And that is interesting work, good on you. I hope archiving might be helpful for map and TL research as well as for my library school applications, but given that the guy who interviewed me said that "it's like when you with sewage and stop smelling it - after a while, you stop reading," maybe not.

I've posted the original data before, but I made this as a request for someone I know:

image.png

Is America doomed? Answers on a postcard.

The most striking thing about that map is probably Shelby County, Tennessee (Memphis) - here it barely stands out from its neighbours, while IRL it gave Clinton 62% of the vote.

Just wondering, is Travis County Austin?

Aye.

It is interesting how in some light blue states such as Maine and Oregon white voters backed Clinton but even safe Democratic Illinois and New York (!!) saw white voters choose Trump.

Also surprising to see Third Parties doing so well in the Other category. I'm assuming chiefly Johnson but if that's a lot of Native Americans perhaps Stein may have done well due to Keystone XL. There also look to be at least a dozen states where Third Parties beat Trump among black voters.

Well, the polling is part of it, but America's advantage is that we have precinct level data available (both electorally and demographically) in such overwhelming quantities that we can check model / poll based results against reality (looking at precincts has led me to believe that the exit polls overstated Trump's non-White support, for example).

I'd be very happy with ward-level election results.

I could be persuaded to do it by box/Polling district, but they don't really apply to any census area.

Thande

Donor
It's a shame the polling isn't detailed enough to do it for the UK - I'd love to see the breakdown based on working vs middle class at this election and there could be a real regional divide.
ICM did do national exit poll breakdowns of class, age group, gender etc. (in 2015, not sure about 2017) but as Reagent says, the issue is it's just one national number (and one can't really estimate how accurate it is).