OTL Election maps resources thread

Some of those Republican gains seem a little surprising - Lane County, Oregon doesn't really seem like Trump territory, and Connecticut, the Rio Grande Valley, the Lake Michigan shore in Indiana and upstate New York all seem quite unexpected. I also think in New Mexico it will be interesting to see if many of those defectors went to Gary Johnson - he hit double figures in some of those counties especially in Los Alamos where Trump did quite badly.
This one is not surprising at all.

It's Mississippi that surprises me the most. Is that simply a case of 2012 being such a good year there from Romney that it just naturally settled back a bit?

Thande

Donor
Why - are you Libertarian? :biggrin:
I was expecting it to look like an uninhabited planet from Stargate.

I feel like Swing Maps obscure the results of an election somewhat. In that, while a 10% swing to Trump tells us something about an area, a 10% swing to Trump in an area that voted 60% Democratic compared to an area that voted 20% Democratic are very distinct. The former represents a concern for the Democrats, while the latter represents an almost complete decimation.

Accordingly, I've made a map stating the Trump vote in terms of Romney votes (T vote / R vote * 100), which should give a better idea where Trump really made substantial gains compared to Romney. I'll be making one of these maps for Clinton as well.

Trump comparatively fell the most in Arlington County, VA, only scoring 58.6% of Romney's total.

Trump comparatively gained the most in Elliot County, KY, scoring 177.6% of Romney's total

trump_shift_by_reagentah-dbjlx59.png
Very good - as you say, I think this is a more useful way of measuring it. Wisconsin shows the limitations of much of the narrative of the post-election analysis we've had.

Here's the Clinton-Obama map:

Clinton's best county improvement was Sterling County, TX, where she improved on Obama 225.8%. Albeit, Obama only got 30 votes there.

Utah County, UT saw Clinton improve 165.0% on Obama, and Forsyth County, GA saw Clinton improve 161.0%.

The greatest dropoff county was McPherson County, NE, where Clinton only managed 34.1% of Obama's vote.
It's so weird for the county standing out in the middle of Indiana to be Hamilton, not Marion.

Quick map I made to highlight the increasing racial polarization of White voters in the US:

Trump earned only 15.4% of the Non-White vote nationwide (which, given composition changes isn't actually too low for the GOP post-1964, but still isn't a great score). However, there were many places where Clinton did even worse among White voters:
Texas and Georgia really show how much pull the big cities have.

Thande

Donor
Here's the Clinton-Obama map:

Clinton's best county improvement was Sterling County, TX, where she improved on Obama 225.8%. Albeit, Obama only got 30 votes there.

Utah County, UT saw Clinton improve 165.0% on Obama, and Forsyth County, GA saw Clinton improve 161.0%.

The greatest dropoff county was McPherson County, NE, where Clinton only managed 34.1% of Obama's vote.

clinton_shift_by_reagentah-dbjpet0.png
Iowa and West Virginia make sense, but North Dakota really sticks out. Was it Heitkamp's coattails helping Obama in 2012, or perhaps something to do with the energy situation there, do you know?

Iowa and West Virginia make sense, but North Dakota really sticks out. Was it Heitkamp's coattails helping Obama in 2012, or perhaps something to do with the energy situation there, do you know?
Heirkamp definitely had something to do with it, since Clinton underperformed Obama in every county, even on the reservations.

Edit: on the other hand, that happened on all of the reservations.

Technically an OTL referendum map, but I thought this was the right thread for it-how Bristol voted in the EU referendum.
EUReferendumBristol.png

The 'headline' result is that the city voted to remain in the EU by a decisive 62-38 margin, along with all four of its Westminster constituencies. However ward level information indicates it was mainly the inner city, affluent and student-y areas that voted to remain, with the outer suburbs and poorer areas either doing less so or preferring leave. These trends can be seen at Westminster level with Bristol West, the mostly University middle-class seat, having the highest remain vote, and the more traditionally Labour Bristol South having the lowest, with half of its wards voting leave. The same can be said for the relatively high leave vote in the primarily industrial Avonmouth. The closest results at ward level were in the east, with marginal results in Brislington for each choice, as well as the razor-thin leave wins in the St George Central and Troopers Hill wards by just six and four votes respectively.

Here's another ward-level EU referendum map, this time from Scotland and from the BBC ward level data-

EUReferendumStirling.png

Along with most of Scotland, Stirling voted to remain, as well as all of its wards. The lowest remain vote was in Bannockburn, and the highest was in Dunblane. Stirling and the Western Isles are the only Scottish Councils with available ward-level data.

Fun fact, that's exactly what the Kaiserreich team is doing to the lore of Italy. :extremelyhappy:

Are they going to do anything to adequately explain how the heck Germany manages to gain a huge chunk of colonies, despite the fact that their navy is totally wrecked and would take a while to recover, and that a lot of the Royal Navy would still be around and loyal to the government-in-exile in Canada who would have several shooty things to say about this.

At the very least, they should be protectorates instead of colonies.

Are they going to do anything to adequately explain how the heck Germany manages to gain a huge chunk of colonies, despite the fact that their navy is totally wrecked and would take a while to recover, and that a lot of the Royal Navy would still be around and loyal to the government-in-exile in Canada who would have several shooty things to say about this.

At the very least, they should be protectorates instead of colonies.

That would make sense.
I asked the Kaiserreich server in Discord because I couldn't remember if Germany got them in a treaty. Ahearne, a Kaiserreich dev and the one who doing reworks of the British Empire, say that Germany seized the colonies during the British Revolution.

That would make sense.
I asked the Kaiserreich server in Discord because I couldn't remember if Germany got them in a treaty. Ahearne, a Kaiserreich dev and the one who doing reworks of the British Empire, say that Germany seized the colonies during the British Revolution.

There's still the issue of (a) getting to the colonies, (b) dealing with the remains of the RN* whilst doing so and (c) actually holding them. I understand Germany being able to gain colonies from France, since it could just hold Paris hostage or overrun it and make France hand them over, but it had no capacity to make Britain return Germany's colonies outside of Africa, and little power-projection capacity to hold them. Japan would keep the colonies it captured, since all it would have to say is "come and claim them, then".

*Ok, so the IGN could have been rebuilt eventually, but that would take a long time.