Rdffigueira, I spent a good part of yesterday's night reading this TL, and its quite good, quite good!

Your PoDs are quite plausible and good, and it helps a united Republican Brazil become plausible.
From what I read in the brazilian AH community, 10 out of 10 BR Alternate Historians agree that without the Empire, Brazil would default into Hispanic America-style Military Dictatorships and Secessionism, at the same time.

Thank you very much, Oceano! It has been an interesting project for me, but the most gratifying thing about writing this stuff is to receive support and compliments, I appreciate it very much. One of my big problems with this TL was indeed creating a plausible scenario that allowed for a somewhat united (even if still unequal) Brazil post-independence. Our own History shows that indeed the country might have collapsed without the Braganças in charge... but I'm not convinced that at least it would have to happen this way. My difficulty was creating a scenario that allowed for a common agreement between the Brazilian elites instead of isolated emancipationist groups. Common hatred against Portugal had to be it, considering that IOTL the Cortes of Lisboa were surprinsingly reactionary in what concerned the colonial affairs.

How are politics in Grão-Pará? In OTL Grão Pará was the last state to adhere to Brazilian independence, in fact the date of our Adherance is a holiday, 15th August, start of this week. Thing is, when Greenfell and co came to Brazil, the local elites panicked and surrendered because of the sack of São Luis and the fact they thought they had a entire fleet behind them (they didn't at the time). So, in practice, rather than the local pro-Brazil or pro-Pará dissidents, what happened is that in practice, the old portuguese elites stayed in charge. A big case of Conheça o novo chefe, o mesmo que o velho chefe. Then there was the tragedy of the Brig Palhaço, and BAM, the stage was set for the Cabanagem.

But in this TL it seems the Portuguese got purged harder from their posts. In fact, I notice the historical account has a strong anti-portuguese anti-monarchy bias, like those old books from the old republic. Then again, independence here was a bitter affair. Personally I always thought one of the biggest mistakes in our history was the idiotic anti-lusitanism and want to disregard our heritage, which left us open to adopt the Idiotic European Ideology En Vogue.

I'm familiar with the farse by which the pro-D. Pedro faction led by Captain Greenfell gained control of Belém, but I wasn't aware about the Portuguese remnant. Very interesting.

Indeed, your observation is accurate, there was ITTL an overall purge of the Portuguese authorities from military and bureaucratic offices by the pro-Independence groups. Grão-Pará ITTL had to be annexed by force, which resulted in the bloodshed of colonial and aboriginal populations alike, most notably in OTL Amazonas (even more than in Belém). Even if the province is currently pacified, the seeds of dissent are already present in the economic and political isolation of the region... the North is barely integrated in the arrangements of the political elites of the Southeast - guess what, it will mainly come down to Minas Gerais, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Bahia.

I intend to have a parallel to the Cabanagem movement in this story. I realize the scenario I've conceived hardly touches on the pre-existing problems and issues that sparked the revolt IOTL, so it's bound to happen sooner or later, as a demonstration of the generalized insatisfaction of the Northeners regarding their self-perceived abandonment.

Nevertheless, one of the plans I have for the TL is a much earlier drive by the "national government" to implement regional integration policies between the littoral and the interior zones, notably the Amazonian region, through the building of railroads and "colonial" settlements similar to what happened in the United States and Canada regarding their "Manifest Destiny" movements. IOTL, of course, government-sponsored projects for settling and city-building in Centro-Oeste and Norte only began seriously with Getúlio Vargas.

P.S. I personally have nothing against the Portuguese, but the storyline does has an anti-monarchist and anti-lusitanian bias, as you said. But this owes more to the parallelism drawn between the "former colony and former metropolis" relationship we've seen many times IOTL, that goes from "we hate these guys!" to "well, I guess we have similar language, similar customs and similar cuisine, we might try to get along".

Btw, do you live in Belém? I've relatives that live nearby in Macapá!

Last edited:
16. President Mena Barreto's First Term (Pt. 1) (1820-1824)
During his first term as President of the Federation, José de Abreu Mena Barreto served for four years, between January 1st, 1820, and December 31, 1824. In the elections of 1824, he was reelected by a landslide victory and assumed the second term from January 1st, 1825 to December 31, 1829.

His regime, in hindsight, was instrumental in the preservation of unity among the former provinces of Portuguese America, in a time when the revolutionary sentiments were very strong. Inflamed separatist and extremist factions sprouted like pests through the whole country. With a mix of political sensibility, natural cautiousness, and esteemed austerity, Mena Barreto’s presidency favored moderate and centrist compacts, opposing extremism in both ends of the political spectrum; and there were many representatives in the Parliament and his own Cabinet of Ministers guided by strong and uncompromising ideologies, either liberal or reactionary.

The most delicate questions that arose during his first presidency would be also present in his second mandate, and, in fact, would be dilemmas faced also by his successors. In this chapter, we will briefly analyze some of them.

I. The Preservation of National Integrity

Since his ascension to the paramount rule in Brazil, from his beginnings in the War of Independence as the general of the Gaúchos, interested in the preservation of the interests of the provinces of São Pedro do Rio Grande – now the State of Rio Grande do Sul – and of Santa Catarina, Mena Barreto, influenced by many of his political allies, came to realize that the preservation of this fabricated “Free Nation of Brazil” depended on the safety of its natural and conventional borders by force of arms. Even if he himself, like most of the Southron “Libertadores” [“Liberators”] did not conceive genuine cultural, economic and social ties between them and the other regional populations of Portuguese America – namely those of the Northeast and of the North – it was imperative, from a geopolitical standpoint, that the territory of this new “Brazil” coincided with the former colonial borders of Portuguese America.

The second and final phases of the War of Independence – after the capture of Rio de Janeiro and the expulsion of the last Portuguese viceroy from the colony – had been dedicated to annexing the whole coastal extent of Portuguese America, so that Portugal lacked any safe ports in the Americas to land their ships and attempt a reconquest in a near future.

Now, in 1820, after being elected President of the Federation, Mena Barreto became concerned with the internal frontiers, animated by a vague, but plausible fear that the heartlands of Brazil might suffer invasions by foreign nations in South America, notably the states arising from the wreckage of the Spanish Viceroyalties of Nueva Granada, of Perú and of La Plata. For this reason, his first acts as President were the assignment of two different armies – the 2nd and the 3rd Brazilian Corps, led, respectively, by his own cousin, João de Deus Mena Barreto, and by his protégé, Pedro dos Santos Virgílio Paiva – to submit the still loyalist provinces of Matto Grosso and Goyáz. Both campaigns were successful, and by late 1821, the whole extent of Portuguese America was formally (even if not in practice) under control of the Federal Union, including the disputed territory of the Guayanas.

Nevertheless, in the XIX Century, as much as in Biblical times, in the Classical age, and in the Medieval millenium, the safety of the empires was preserved not only by the strength of its armies and navies, but also by the durability of its fortification systems. The Portuguese had built, through the three centuries during which they populated and controlled the colony, various fortresses in the littoral (the cities of Rio de Janeiro and Salvador da Bahia had been founded as forts to protect against the local Indian tribes), and a few, comparatively modern, outposts in the western and southern frontiers – in Matto Grosso (near the Paraguay River) and Rio Grande do Sul (near the Uruguay River). These Brazilians realized that these redoubts must be reoccupied by their military, fortified and new ones built to strengthen the borders.​

ZjggZNW.jpg

Fort Morgan, USA, an example of XIX Century polygon-based fortification

During the years between 1821 and 1824, European engineers, mainly British and French, came to Rio de Janeiro at invitation of the Federal government, and initiated projects for ambitious fort-building enterprises along the distant Paraguay and Uruguay frontiers, inaugurating in South America the newer designs that were being experimented in Europe, the so-called polygonal forts. Later, in the 1840s, a similar purpose would be fulfilled by a mission of German notables, led by Lt.-Gen. Friedrich Wilhelm von Jagow, to build fortresses in the western reaches of the Grão-Pará territory, in the heart of the Amazon jungle.​

II. The Struggles of the National Economy
The most significant issue about Brazil that indicated its inauspicious beginnings is that the country was born completely broke. Due to the fact that Portugal’s interests lay in extracting whatever riches it could from the colony, and nothing was reinvested in the welfare of its colonists, there existed was no rational system of public finances. Each of the provinces produced their own revenues that had to be collected as taxes or tariffs by the governors, and one of the functions of the Viceroy in Rio de Janeiro had been the supervision of regional taxations, and to ensure that it flowed through the principal ports – Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, Recife and Belém – to Europe.

Even worse, the new nation in its very first year exhausted the few riches it had immediately available to pay off the restless veterans who had fought in the War of Independence, to rebuild the ruined capital of Rio de Janeiro and to invest in immediate bureaucratic and military expenditures.

Now that the colonial administration had completely collapsed, the agents of the Federal government, like the Presidential Office and his dedicated Cabinet of Ministers, saw themselves forced to start from scratch. Truth be told, Mena Barreto’s Ministers throughout his terms were very competent and purposeful, most notably the Minister of Finances, Bernardo Fagundes Clemente Horta, a former judge, mathematician and now parliamentarian elected by the State of Rio de Janeiro, and the Minister of Commerce, José Francisco de Assis Amaral, a Bahian career politician whose interests were (fortunately) more aligned with the national government than of the regional state.

mmPl2pJ.jpg

Portrait of Minister Bernardo Fagundes Clemente Horta (c. 1830)

CIuXItB.jpg

Portrait of José Francisco de Assis Amaral (c. 1825)

Despite the best efforts of the members of the Constituent Assemby of 1818-1819 affiliated to the “Traditionalist Party” (i.e. the nicknamed Cães de Guerra) to institute a constitutional clause that would allow the Federal Union to create limited fiscal exactions upon the States, the “Liberal Party” (i.e. nicknamed Lampiões) prevailed on the matter, abhorring any kind of federal interference on the economy of the states, as it might be used, in the future, by the National Government to extort and harm the States, in violation of the federal pact.

The Constitution of 1819, regarding the distribution of federal and state revenues, determines that the Federal Union and each of the States will have their own pre-established tax systems, and no entity will interfere in the economy or finances of the others. Thus, the Federal Union is allowed to institute and exact taxes associated with maritime trade (namely the harbor fees for importation and exportation of products) and riverine trade, road tariffs, and any taxes on the inhabitants of the Non-Autonomous Federal Territories. Nevertheless, in the 1820s, this amounted to a relatively low revenue compared to the immense and urgent expenditures of the Federal government, such as the maintenance of the bureaucracy and civil service itself, the salaries and pensions of the military forces and veterans, and the undertaking of public works. It didn’t help that the Non-Autonomous Federal Territories – the only places where the Constitution allowed it to exact per capita taxes upon the citizens (because the taxes paid by citizens as a general rule are owed to each of the States) – at the time were either underpopulated, like Goyáz, or still bankrupt, like Piauhy.

Mena Barreto’s first term consisted in a frenzied campaign to collect wealth to fulfill the emptied national coffers. At first, still driven by the anti-Lusitanian revolutionary fervor, large-scale persecutions against the wealthiest Portuguese inhabitants served to confiscate private and crown property, usually under specious allegations of treason and sedition. Then, by presidential decrees formulated by the Minister of Finances, the import tariffs were raised to the maximum bearable scale in every city of the coast that might not scare away the foreign traders. Even this took some time to yield results, considering that the larger part of the imported products so far came from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and the British traders warranted fiscal privileges to pay much lesser tariffs than other merchant vessels, due the terms of the Declaration of Rio de Janeiro (1808). Advised by his Ministers against antagonizing the “British Lion”, Mena Barreto conceded with preserving their commercial privileges.

Another problem that would take years to be overcome was the inflation resulting from the first emissions of currency by the National Mint as fiat money, named Brazilian Pound, in a clear homage to the namesake British currency (it would eventually adopt the symbol “BR£”). Actually, the representative value of the currency in the national coffers was exceedingly higher than the quantity of gold and silver available to fabricate coins. The attempts of instituting a part of the currency as paper money at first failed, because the Brazilians were entirely unused with the very concept of using paper as a medium of exchange. Lest we forget… until 1810, with the opening of its ports to foreign trade, commerce between the Portuguese provinces (excepting in the largest port-towns) was mostly done by barter, with exchanges of cattle, food, dairy, utensils, tools and even slaves, without any kind of money involved.

In 1824, in one of the last months of Mena Barreto’s first term, the federal overseers uncovered a conspiracy of counterfeiters in a federal mint located in Vila Rica, Minas Gerais, whereupon the civil officers acquired cheap metallic utensils to melt down into coins and thus obtain illegal profits from the transactions. Even if the President wanted to believe otherwise, insisting in continuing the precarious system of currency emission, fraudulent schemes were common in the federal mints, and the fiscal overseers became known for their proverbial corruption.

The colony also lacked any sort of banking services or capital-based enterprises – the most-organized groups in this regard were merchant guilds in the wharfs and slave traffickers. Astonishingly, until the Independence, charging of interest in money lending was considered a criminal offense, as the main legislative corpus in force in Portuguese America were the “Ordenações Filipinas”, provisions enacted in 1595 by the feverously Catholic King Felipe II of Spain and Portugal. Considering this scenario, it’s no wonder the economy took a long time to prosper.

The Federal Bank of Brazil (with headquarters in Rio de Janeiro) was created by the Federal Law nº 37/1824 and inaugurated in the same year. It was the brainchild of Minister Bernardo Fagundes Clemente Horta, based on the Bank of England and on the Bank of the United States (indeed, the Minister contracted British advisors to explain the functionality and utilities of this banking system). Much like those, it was actually a private company, with the Federal Union as an investor, and its board of directors was liable and accountable to the Parliament and to the Ministry of Finances. Much to the frustration of the President, his Ministers, and the pro-government parliamentarians, the Bank at first had little success, with an insignificant amount of citizen shareholders, and a negligible amount of foreign investors. In addition, the Federal Union became its largest debtor and usually defaulted on its obligations. By 1830, it was almost bankrupt and the Parliament was forced to enact another federal law restructure it and to give more confidence to potential investors.

Only by the end of Mena Barreto’s first term, with his Cabinet insisting in strict policy of fiscal and budgetary austerity (by reducing spending to its minimum and increasing the revenues) did the national economy begin to accumulate surplus wealth. As a symbolic gesture, President Mena Barreto himself had become used to invest a monthly fraction of 4/5 of his salary either in the state enterprises or in public works projects, a feature that endeared him in public opinion, and that actually would be imitated by various Presidents and Governors through Brazilian history.

Last edited:

Oceano

Banned
I'm familiar with the farse by which the pro-D. Pedro faction led by Captain Greenfell gained control of Belém, but I wasn't aware about the Portuguese remnant. Very interesting.

Indeed, your observation is accurate, there was ITTL an overall purge of the Portuguese authorities from military and bureaucratic offices by the pro-Independence groups. Grão-Pará ITTL had to be annexed by force, which resulted in the bloodshed of colonial and aboriginal populations alike, most notably in OTL Amazonas (even more than in Belém).

Indeed! Another example that Brazil is ASB!
I'm surprised me Portuguese didn't try a last stand in Pará (including in OTL). When you get to it, going from the northeast to the north at a time was pretty much a naval affair, unless you liked dying of tropical diseases. If the portuguese had a better fleet, they could resupply Grão-Pará directly from Portugal, and then any invasion would have to come through the jungle, and that would be hell.

(I actually have a TL idea where Brazil becomes independent, but Grão-Pará keeps being portuguese and becomes Brazil's "Canada", so to say.)

Even if the province is currently pacified, the seeds of dissent are already present in the economic and political isolation of the region... the North is barely integrated in the arrangements of the political elites of the Southeast - guess what, it will mainly come down to Minas Gerais, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Bahia.

I thought we were talking about TTL not OTL modern day lol
The revolution might be even bigger than in OTL, considering how much Jacobinism and such thought is spread around earlier in this TL.

I intend to have a parallel to the Cabanagem movement in this story. I realize the scenario I've conceived hardly touches on the pre-existing problems and issues that sparked the revolt IOTL, so it's bound to happen sooner or later, as a demonstration of the generalized insatisfaction of the Northeners regarding their self-perceived abandonment.

Cabanagem was pretty much the French Revolution of Brazil, complete with in-fighting, banditry and executions, but the anti-clericalism was replaced by persecution of "Marinheiros" (AKA Portuguese elites, traders and general portuguese people) and Free Masons.

I wonder if a earlier spreed of revolutionary ideas will mean that the revolution might be better co-ordinated.

Nevertheless, one of the plans I have for the TL is a much earlier drive by the "national government" to implement regional integration policies between the littoral and the interior zones, notably the Amazonian region, through the building of railroads and "colonial" settlements similar to what happened in the United States and Canada regarding their "Manifest Destiny" movements. IOTL, of course, government-sponsored projects for settling and city-building in Centro-Oeste and Norte only began seriously with Getúlio Vargas.

That's quite good and interesting.
- Brazil has historically suffered with horrible logistics. Seriously, people don't talk logistics enough here - I would dare roads, railroads, cannals, etc, are just as important as schools here. It took until the imperial times for us to have decent railroad networks. Then fools decide to pretty much kill our national railroads, because AUTOMOBILES LOLOLOLOLOL. Even today our logistics are horribad, too many roads not enough rail and hidrovies. I wish people would shut up about EDUMACATIONS and talk more logistics.

- Brazil is big but historically, our demographics have been weak until the 20th century. Immigration is needed, and industrial development and better health would help. Not sure if serious amazon settling is viable until 1880 or so, tropical diseases sucked back then.

Any plans for land reform?

P.S. I personally have nothing against the Portuguese, but the storyline does has an anti-monarchist and anti-lusitanian bias, as you said. But this owes more to the parallelism drawn between the "former colony and former metropolis" relationship we've seen many times IOTL, that goes from "we hate these guys!" to "well, I guess we have similar language, similar customs and similar cuisine, we might try to get along".

Hmmm, makes sense.
Any hope for nativism perhaps helping preserve brazilian languages, like Nheengatu?

Wish I was more well-read about the period, its such a intriguing epoch that has only been truly paid attention to recently. Then again most of the barely-literate plebery barely knows which country they are living in, most of the time, but I have been noticing a rising interest in the history of our country in general. Even have some TL ideas I wish I could put into practice - been discussing a continued Brazilian Empire with Gukpard, a divided Brazil TL, Grão-Pará as Portuguese Canada TL, so many...

Btw, do you live in Belém? I've relatives that live nearby in Macapá!

Yes, I do! Fine place, hot and humid but I like it that way.
Where are you from? I'm guessing you're from the south, my gauchodar is infallible.

Last edited:
Indeed! Another example that Brazil is ASB!
I'm surprised me Portuguese didn't try a last stand in Pará (including in OTL). When you get to it, going from the northeast to the north at a time was pretty much a naval affair, unless you liked dying of tropical diseases. If the portuguese had a better fleet, they could resupply Grão-Pará directly from Portugal, and then any invasion would have to come through the jungle, and that would be hell. (I actually have a TL idea where Brazil becomes independent, but Grão-Pará keeps being portuguese and becomes Brazil's "Canada", so to say.)

That's true. Grão-Pará due to its relative isolation could have been a focus of Portuguese resistance. I think its an extraordinary coincidence you mentioned Grão-Pará as a Portuguese remnant à lá Canada... because that was actually my original idea when I started writing this TL :biggrin:. In fact, I sketched an idea for the whole North of Brazil + the Guianas to remain with Portugal. It wouldn't be exactly like Canada, but that's an interesting concept. This might result in future wars or territorial purchases... but in the end I decided to go with the uber-Brazil scenario to allow for a more interesting relationship between us and our neighbors in Colombia. Possibly in another occasion I might open a "sub-TL" to explore this Portuguese Grão-Pará vs. Brazil.

To be honest, I also toyed at first with the idea of a balkanized Brazil (divided between South - Center - Northeast, with the Amazonian territory possibly remaining with a foreign power), but then I gave up and opted for a more "familiar" scenario. To be honest, my original intent when I decided for this approach was inspired by the basic "we must tame the wilderness" notion that drove the whole 19th Century forward. I wanted a Brazilian expansion through the heart of South America (something that only happened historically in the middle of the 20th Century) like the North-Americans in the Old West, the Australians in the Outback, the Argentinians and Chileans in Patagonia, the British in Africa and Asia... and so forth, especially if it allowed me to deconstruct all the basic concepts of this premise.

Nevertheless, I must say I'm very interesting in an ATL focusing on a divided Portuguese America, especially if it coincides with a somewhat even more divided Latin America AND NORTH AMERICA.

I thought we were talking about TTL not OTL modern day lol. The revolution might be even bigger than in OTL, considering how much Jacobinism and such thought is spread around earlier in this TL. Cabanagem was pretty much the French Revolution of Brazil, complete with in-fighting, banditry and executions, but the anti-clericalism was replaced by persecution of "Marinheiros" (AKA Portuguese elites, traders and general portuguese people) and Free Masons. I wonder if a earlier spreed of revolutionary ideas will mean that the revolution might be better co-ordinated.

That's a very interesting observation. I've seen some parallels drawn between the Revolução Pernambucana and the American War of Independence, but the Cabanagem is very obscure overall in the Brazilian memory, and I've never seen a comparison with the French Revolution. I'll surely have this in mind when we get there.

I mean, we have movies and soap operas about Farrapos... but no one remembers the Cabanagem or the Malês.

Brazil has historically suffered with horrible logistics. Seriously, people don't talk logistics enough here - I would dare roads, railroads, cannals, etc, are just as important as schools here. It took until the imperial times for us to have decent railroad networks. Then fools decide to pretty much kill our national railroads, because AUTOMOBILES LOLOLOLOLOL. Even today our logistics are horribad, too many roads not enough rail and hidrovies. I wish people would shut up about EDUMACATIONS and talk more logistics.

Well... blame the Military Regime, they surely liked roads better then railroads. Someone once told me this was a ditched effort to jumpstart the automotive and oil industries... nowadays that we discuss environmental issues it surely was a dick move. But you are right, its very sad how little we have in train transports in Brazil. In Minas Gerais, for example, the train is somewhat of a relic of the past.

Brazil is big but historically, our demographics have been weak until the 20th century. Immigration is needed, and industrial development and better health would help. Not sure if serious amazon settling is viable until 1880 or so, tropical diseases sucked back then.

Absolutely correct. Those are all points that I intend to address in the long run. The settling of the Amazon is not exactly viable, but what I meant is that there will be more of an "government-sponsored" interest in at least integrating these regions by transporting and settling projects, which will become especially stressful for the nation when slavery and latifundies become contested.

Any plans for land reform?

Another hot topic. For now I haven't given it much of a thought, because as soon as coffee experiences the economic boom that happened also IOTL, the biggest debate will pit the plantation owners against the urban pro-industrialism groups. Again, the birth of coffee economy as I see it was inevitable by the early 19th Century. Nevertheless, instead of the monolitic and self-destructive system of the República Velha, that actively hampered whatever industrial developments witnessed in the late Empire, there will be more powerful "modernizing" forces opposing the agrarian elites in this ATL.

Any hope for nativism perhaps helping preserve brazilian languages, like Nheengatu?

I really didn't think about this. That's a very interesting proposal. Indians are bound to suffer with the advance of the "Conquista do Sertão" movements, but there certainly will be voices favoring a more friendly approach with the natives.

Wish I was more well-read about the period, its such a intriguing epoch that has only been truly paid attention to recently. Then again most of the barely-literate plebery barely knows which country they are living in, most of the time, but I have been noticing a rising interest in the history of our country in general. Even have some TL ideas I wish I could put into practice - been discussing a continued Brazilian Empire with Gukpard, a divided Brazil TL, Grão-Pará as Portuguese Canada TL, so many...

That's true! I've got the feeling that more recently people are having a bit more (not that much) interest in History and even politics.

The scenario about a surviving Brazilian Empire, even if I personally find it fascinating, IMHO would bring me to a rather late (i.e. 1880s) PoD, which is almost inside the "post-1900" forum, I guess. I wanted to go back as far as the Inconfidência Mineira to see what I could write about post-colonial Brazil, but I confess I was surprised with how interested I became in the XIX Century.

Yes, I do! Fine place, hot and humid but I like it that way.
Where are you from? I'm guessing you're from the south, my gauchodar is infallible.

Haahahaha, I'm from Rio de Janeiro, actually. Never been to RS, but I have a dream of getting to know each one of our states! I have relatives in ES, CE, BA, AP... x'D

16. President Mena Barreto's First Term (Pt. 2) (1820-1824)
16.2. PRESIDENT MENA BARRETO'S FIRST TERM

III. The Road Building Project

Even if short on money, President Mena Barreto’s largest contribution during his two terms were undoubtedly the public projects that he conceived with his Cabinet of Ministers and with the supporting legislative faction in the Parliament of the Republic. A remarkable fact about Mena Barreto’s presidency is that in both his terms he could count on the support on a stable majority of the members of the parliament, notably those associated with the “Traditionalist Party”. In fact, with a few exceptions he usually did not met opposition by the Liberals, considering his genuine respect for the State’s rights and autonomy, and his attempts of composing a government with representatives of various States (and not only Southrons).

The most ambitious projects undertaken in his political lifetime were the construction of roads and communications system (with a novice postal service and toll stations with horses for messengers) along the Brazilian coast, from the southern border in the fort of Chuí to Rio de Janeiro, and then from there to Fortaleza in Ceará, with agencies established in the main coastal cities to oversee the regional pit-stops. At first, the system was conceived in favor of private enterprises, that would be allowed to exact pre-fixed prices from the customers, and supervised by federal agents.

Considering that the former Portuguese colony lacked useful roads, even between neighboring states, the most reliable paths were those created by the Indians, Bandeirantes explorers and miners, and that the communications along the coast depended on a precarious and haphazard system of maritime trips, this project showed a lot of promise. Simultaneously conducted were minor enterprises to build three inland roads: one linking São Paulo to Matto Grosso, another connecting Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and Goyáz, and a third one (the largest so far) joining the coast of Bahia directly to the coast of Piauhy.

The projects were designed mainly by British engineers as early as 1822, but various months were dedicated to surveying and calculating the projects, which were, due to its sheer size and investment, fractioned in various parts, roughly according to the distances it was supposed to cover inside each state.

Mena Barreto became frustrated by the conclusion that his dreamed project would have to be initially executed in a much inferior scale than his Cabinet of Ministers had conceived, due to lack of available funds and building resources: as an experimental project, only the breadths between Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo and Salvador da Bahia would be initiated during his first term. And it would be concluded… well, that would depend on the size of the investment.

The British designers began implementing the old-fashioned “English” (John Metcalf’s method) and “French” (Pierre Trésaguet’s method) methods of road-building, both of which were completely novel in the south hemisphere.

VNEpEh2.jpg

In the early XIX Century, British pioneers innovated in road building. The most remarkable development were the “macadamized roads”, named after the Scottish inventor John Loudon McAdam. The picture above depicts the first macadamized road being constructed in the U.S.A., in the 1820s

The financing was done by emission of federal bonds to be paid in periods between five and ten years. They were mostly acquired by States directly interested in these projects – notably São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, whose wealth grew exponentially now that they owed nothing to the Crown of Portugal – with a small amount of private investors. In a rather peculiar example of cooperation between the federated polities, many State Governors, including those of regions unaffiliated to Mena Barreto’s policies, enthusiastically adhered to the construction projects. In fact, the wealthiest States, like São Paulo and Minas Gerais, had considerable surplus capital to invest in their own, urban and parochial road systems.

After some years, by suggestion of the Minister of Public Welfare, the Federal Union started to acquire some bonds issued by the more prolific States, and then exchanged these valuable titles with private investors to pay their own debts.

As an example, the road from São Paulo to the port of Santos would be inaugurated in 1828, and the one linking the capital to the Paraná River, three years later. These were mostly governmental enterprises. However, it would become a very common complaint that the Governors and their Secretariats were taking advantage of these investments to embezzle funds and redistribute them to their own partisans, and that the federal public authorities were expected to receive bribes to serve the interests of these regional robber barons. Another problem was that in very few States, like Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais, there was enthusiasm by private enterprises to invest money in public works.

In the Capital State, some visionary entrepreneurs (associated with the informal merchant guilds that operated in the ports of Rio de Janeiro and Nictheroy) created in 1829 the Sociedade Fluminense do Vale do Parahyba, perhaps the earliest “modern” shareholding enterprise in Brazil, clearly inspired in the British capitalist investment, and its main purpose was the building of roads to link the national capital to the coffee plantations of the Parahyba Valley (in the western fringe of the State of Rio de Janeiro). Due to the sheer disinterest of the population – or perhaps overall lack of understanding and inability to invest due to the absence of surplus capital –, the company was almost bankrupt by 1836, but was reinvigorated by reluctant investments of the wealthy coffee producers, and by the acquisition of many of its shares by the Government of Rio de Janeiro itself, as it became clear that the projects were increasing the productivity and efficiency of transport and communications.

In Minas Gerais, the concern of the landholding oligarchy was facilitating the flow of goods with São Paulo, as it was from the southwestern ranches that the Mineiros received necessary resources, and, with some delay, and investment of the regional government, a direct road through the wilderness between these two States would be concluded in the early 1830s.

In these projects, the construction itself ended up being the least complicated part, as the enterprise employed mainly slave labor – by then, the government itself had its own slaves, some acquired directly from slave markets, but most were indentured servants and prisoners – not only Afro-descendants, but also Indians from “uncivilized” tribes (i.e. those claimed to be pagans). Centuries of Jesuit preaching in favor of the Indians and against the barbarous colonists did little to protect the aboriginal tribes from the brutality of the self-proclaimed “civilized” authorities. Between 1822 and 1828, and then from many other periods, the Brazilian Army conducted a series of hit-and-run operations with the alleged purpose of “bringing civilization” to the “barbarians”, targeting numerous tribes of Indians and Quilombos of refugees accused of being pagans, cannibals or somehow hostile to the rural populations of the frontier. It is estimated that between 2.000 and 4.000 natives were forced into captivity by the official federal government apparatus with the purpose of obtaining work force to conduct their public ventures only in during the first decade after Independence.

An old anecdote says that various monks of São Paulo appeared in Rio de Janeiro to present a formal protest before the Minister of Public Welfare – to whom the direction and coordination of the public works was assigned – arguing that enslavement of Indians violated the Holy Scripture, as well as the ancient Papal bulls on the matter. To this, he had infamously answered: “The last time I checked the Code of Law, it was perfectly legal to employ detainees and prisoners. Go complain to the Pope if you disagree!”.

yi8g2fs.jpg

Painting of a chain gang of African slaves brought from Angola (c. 1830)

Among the free persons, the vast majority of workers would be comprised by indebted laborers lent by their creditors (to whom the government would pay directly to solve the debts), or marginalized individuals (usually mulattos and ex-slaves) who sold their work force for miserable wages, and worked in inhuman conditions.

Even if the contemporaries might have known that the future generations would be scandalized and disgusted by this systematic oppression, perhaps they would not have be too concerned, as the ends seemed to justify the means: the very cheap labor and disregard for the physical preservation of the employees allowed for a relatively quick execution of such an arduous undertaking.

It helped that the British advisors were eager to experiment were very innovative methods being studied and executed for road building in the home island, notably in Scotland, such as that studied by the Scottish gentleman Thomas Telford barely ten years before. Indeed, road building as a discipline of engineering was only recently being revived in Europe, since the times of the Roman Empire. Only in the late XVIII Century did the French began to employ innovative techniques, inspired in the Roman roads, to improve road building in continental Europe.

Fulfilling the most optimist predictions, indeed, by the end of 1824, the building of the first significant stretches of road – a single circuit going from São Paulo to Rio de Janeiro and from there to Bahia – was concluded, and in the State of São Paulo the toll and postal systems were being prepared to be initiated in the next year. Throughout the next years, President Mena Barreto and his successors would endeavor to finish these projects, which, to a country that had for so many centuries depended on mules, could finally employ more “modern” means of travel and communication, was a fundamental development. This preoccupation with improving and solidifying contact between the States, namely those of the littoral, would haunt many heads of state in the decades to come, and, in the popular consciousness would rapidly assume a symbolic relevance: the artificial and arduous construction of a union between disparate regions; first with roads and bridges, and then with customs, laws and sentiments. Mena Barreto’s pioneering approach to public works would be emulated by many of his successors, and would explain the alacrity by which the railroad age was to be sponsored in Brazil in the second half of the XIX Century.

IV. Military Restructuring and Reforms

During the colonial period, Portuguese America had no proper “army”, but a rather confusing system of: (1) provincial militias (very poorly armed, it was extremely rare to see them using firearms); (2) official “ordenanças” (mostly Luso-Brazilians, responsible for patrolling the provincial inlands) led by sergeants or ensigns; and (3) Portuguese or Luso-Brazilian standing platoons of soldiers of the line, numerically a minority in the whole colonial armed forces, and usually employed in the personal guard of the Governors and urban policing.

Most of the War of Independence had been fought between the loyalist Portuguese standing army and the regional ordenanças and militias, as well as volunteers, until the desertion of the modernly trained Regimento da Guanabara during the middle phase of the conflict.

Knowing that this “Brazilian Army” was mostly an agglomeration of irregulars, with but a few groups of career soldiers and officers, one of President Mena Barreto’s first acts in the office was reorganizing and reforming this confusing system into a coherent and modernized hierarchy. By the Federal Law nº 12/1820, he instituted and organized the Brazilian Armed Forces, composed by the Army and the Navy. On paper, it was a fine standing military, projected to have roughly 20.000 effective troops and some 30.000 reserves, but on reality, the global military forces commanded by the Federal Government hardly reached 10.000 men.

Yet again frustratingly recognizing that the Brazilians were too backwards, President Mena Barreto spared no efforts nor the dabs of cash available to hire foreign advisors. Again, due to the increasing influence of the British in the tropics, but also because they had one of the finest military forces in the Napoleonic Wars, Mena Barreto preferred to employ British officers. In the infantry, he employed Lt.-Gen. William Stuart and in the artillery, Cpt. Charles Sandham (a man suggested by the Duke of Wellington himself). In the later years, other notorious arrivals would be the French cavalry Col. Michél Armand St. Denis, and the Prussian veteran Georg Friedich von Harzfeld.

3c1w3Jw.jpg

Depiction of a military parade of the Federal 1st Brazilian Corps in the beach of Rio de Janeiro (1828). Many infantry units wore red-colored uniforms, acquired from the British Foot Soldiers, while the officers were required to wear dark-blue uniforms

Mena Barreto was less concerned with the Navy. Even if he promoted the training of sailors and marines, the Brazilian Navy had but a few frigates and no ships of the line, and the government lacked money to build them. The first ship of the line, the NRB (Navio da República Brasileira) Cruzeiro do Sul, would only be purchased from the Netherlands in 1824.

Regarding artillery, until the arrival of the Exércitos Reais do Alentejo and do Viseu during the Independence War, there were almost no guns in Portuguese America. After the war, some of these pieces had been looted from the defeated Portuguese armies, but, nevertheless, there was a need of creating firearms and guns factories in Brazil. With this in mind, three federally-owned gunpowder and artillery factories were built in Iguassú (an inland parish in Rio de Janeiro State), in Campo dos Bugres (a town located between Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul) and in Feira de Sant’Anna (a town located in the Recôncavo Baiano, not far from Salvador da Bahia). There was a strategic purpose: the cities couldn’t be ports, to prevent easy seizing by a maritime invaders, but, nevertheless, they couldn’t be far from the sea, because so far most of the raw inputs to produce gunpowder (like saltpeter), weapons and ammunition, had to be imported, normally from the British colonies in Africa and Asia.

In 1823, by another federal act passed on the Parliament, four military academies were created in the cities of Rio de Janeiro, Porto Alegre (Rio Grande do Sul), São Luís (Maranham) and Recife (Pernambuco). They were designed to prepare recruits and officers to perform infantry, artillery and naval services. Another federal charter in 1833 would sanction the creation of State academies in Minas Gerais and Ceará. The officers of the Federal Army were expected to conclude their respective courses, as the promotion to the top-ranks of the force depended on their military education.

Recruitment was based in the British models: each regional rural parish and urban district was supposed to provide a pre-fixed number of recruits, proportional to their own population, so that a quantity of recruits would be generically assigned to the “available pool”, and then divided between the regional State Guard and the Federal Army (whose forces were distributed in “Corps”, each assigned to a Federal Department or Territory under direction of Minister of the Army).

By the end of Mena Barreto’s second term, in 1829, the global effective forces of the Brazilian Army, including State Guards and the Federal Army, had grown to 23.000 standing troops and 50.000 reserves, including artillery, cavalry and specialist units.

V. First Hospitals and Medicine Institutions

Until the Independence, Brazil had a scarcity of professionals of the medical sciences. As late as the middle 19th Century, there would be plenty of herbalists, apothecaries, informal pharmacists and dentists (it was not uncommon for barbers to be also “specialists” in teeth extraction)… this among the most “qualified” professionals, because on the other side of the spectrum of health “experts” we would find a number of faith-healers and quacks with a predilection for miraculous crocodilian oils. It was also a time when laudanum and syrups were becoming popular in South America, exported by the British merchants, creating a demand for cheap “remedies”. A whole market of outlandish cures would quickly grow in the former colony. This can be explained, of course, by the precarious public and private health customs and attitudes.

Hygiene had yet to be integrated to the collective consciousness, especially in the largest cities, such as Rio de Janeiro and Salvador, where the cramped roadways, lack of sanitation systems, and absolute disregard for healthy public spaces transformed whole streets, rivers and bays into medieval cesspools. Among free persons, regular bathing was a common necessity, but even more in the rural areas than in urban spaces, where rivers were usually polluted. Slaves, on the other hand, excepting the domestic servants, lived a lifetime of filth, toiling miserably in the fields under the sun, and were, for obvious reasons, much more susceptible to infectious diseases.

Speaking of which, epidemics were very common, even more in the cities, where the unhygienic customs of the town-dwellers served to contribute for proliferation of infectious diseases common in the tropics, notably malaria, smallpox and yellow fever. Later, the miserable Brazilian race would be acquainted with cholera and typhus. Epidemics were usually treated by primitive methods such as quarantine, much like the isolation of lepers. In the case of slaves and indigents, they were commonly murdered and cremated. The very few health treatment institutions were churches, most notably the nun convents.

Having been for so many years in the camp, President Mena Barreto, like many of his colleagues in the armed forces, was painfully aware that the frightening majority of war casualties owed more to diseases and poor health conditions than to bullets or bayonets. It is no stretch to imagine that when he devised a proposal for the creation of the first official hospitals and medical facilities in Brazil, Mena Barreto was thinking firstly about his comrades whose lives had been claimed by the invisible and malign miasmas than the citizens themselves.

There were actually very few public hospitals, as the legal measures promulgated by the President sought to sponsor and subside private corporations dedicated to the treatment of diseases. It would take many years before a genuine scientific medical tradition became developed in the nation, with doctors and teachers coming from Europe to advance their own studies in epidemics, popularizing preventive research, and creating a preoccupation with public hygiene and sanitization, a phenomenon described as the “Sanitary Revolution”.

Last edited:
Very nice, love reading a proper infrastructural building in Brazil. The use of slavery is really on par with Brazil of the time, and I don't think it would cause too much problems in the future, even today a lot of people in the south don't care about this particular point of our past.

Very nice, love reading a proper infrastructural building in Brazil. The use of slavery is really on par with Brazil of the time, and I don't think it would cause too much problems in the future, even today a lot of people in the south don't care about this particular point of our past.

Well, if someone is writting a wank of sorts (even by trying to keep plausibility on max), the TL at least must be reasonably informative. I give this tidbits of information regarding the context of Brazil before and after the Independence so we can comprehend the changes that it goes through on its path. Infrastructural development is an important part of it, and the road building projects, as you can imagine, is actually the sneak peak of a future chapter concerning railroads, one of the most fundamental innovations of the XIX Century.

Regarding slavery, though, it will soon enough become a hot discussed topic.

Interlude 2 - Brief Synopsis of the Hispano-American Wars of Independence (1807-1820)
As I said previously, my original intent with this TL is to focus the most on Brazil, which meant I would avoid going inside the history of other countries unless strictly necessary to advance the BR-TL (like I did with Portugal). For two main reasons: (1) I'm afraid of losing myself in unnecessary and complicated details, eventually transforming a more-focused TL in a borefest of comprehending the whole world and their respective butterflies; (2) I fear penetrating in more implausible territory regarding places with whose History, characters and episodes I'm not familiar.

Yet, so as to make sure that some details I give en passant receive a more adequate explanation - again, to better comprehend the developments of the Brazil-TL itself, I put some interludes to give concise references for other countries.

In my future chapters, I'll deal with a war between Brazil and alt-Argentina, which, in turn, forces me to give some attention to the Latin American countries and some details regarding their own independence movements.

1. The Flight of the Spanish Court to the Americas

In early 1809, King Carlos IV of Spain arrived with his family – including sons and daughters, Infantes Fernando and Carlos, and the self-regnant Queen of Portugal, D. Carlota Joaquina accompanied by her husband D. João of Portugal [1], as well as his grandchildren – in Veracruz, in the Viceroyalty of Nueva España. The Spanish Bourbons were exiles from their homeland: the proud realm of Spain had fallen to the vicious and malign forces of Napoléon Bonaparte, who invaded the country, occupied Madrid, and actively tried to capture and imprison both the Spanish monarch and his heirs to serve as hostages.

Minister Manuel de Godoy, however, conceived a plan, inspired on the centuries-old projects devised by the Portuguese dynasty of the Braganças concerning the transfer the royalty to a colony in the western hemisphere, and from there reorganize and prepare a great expedition to retake the homeland from the invaders. The concept was very strong and vivid in the collective Spanish memory, with direct invocations of the now-legendary Reconquista waged against the Moorish infidels.

Due to the speed of Napoléon’s columns, however, the plans were executed hastily, and instead of the careful transference of the paramount aristocratic and bureaucratic apparatus of Madrid, the safe escape of the monarch and his family became the priority. Fortunately, by an advantage of mere days ahead of the French, they fled from Madrid to Cádiz [2], and “picked a ride” in a merchant ship going to Cuba. A humiliating and shameful resource, but a necessary one, since the proud Spanish Armada had been destroyed by Admiral Horatio Nelson in the Battle of Huelva.

The Spanish royalty remained in Nueva España for roughly four years, returning in late 1813 when the tides of war turned against Napoléon Bonaparte after his defeat in the Russian campaign. Despite the short span, however, the transfer of the Spanish court to the Americas was perhaps the single most fundamental and pivotal event in the early XIX Century in the western hemisphere, and precipitated a chain of events that culminated with the explosion of emancipationist movements in the Viceroyalties of Nueva Granada and of La Plata.

Spanish-America.png

Map of the Spanish Empire in the beginning of the XIX Century. Not long afterwards, the Louisiana region in North America was ceded back to France and then sold by Napoléon Bonaparte to the United States.

2. The “Leyes Carlistas” of 1810

In 1810, King Carlos IV of Spain enacted a series of decrees (that nevertheless became known as “Carlist Laws” or “Corpus Carolinus”) with the purpose of reforming and reorganizing some politico-administrative, economic and legal issues regarding the colonial provinces.

The most long-lasting of these measures was the unexpected elevation of the whole Viceroyalty of Nueva España to a full crown-domain status. The decree, even if apparently symbolic – as it meant that the exiled court in the Americas still had the necessary legitimacy and prestige to directly negotiate with the foreign powers – had an important practical concern: the creation of a political center in the México Court from whence the monarchical authority would irradiate to the other colonies, considering that all Viceroyalties as a rule had the same standing in the structure of the Spanish empire (with each Viceroy answering directly to the Crown). Indeed, México City was renamed “Corte Real” to reflect this change of paradigm, and the south American Viceroyalties would be subordinated to the authority of the Spanish government-in-exile [3].

It’s very likely that King Carlos IV was influenced – if not actively pressured – by the élites of Nueva España to produce this changes. Even if there are no surviving evidence of this relationship between the exiled monarch and the local Hispano-American aristocracy, this state of things can be inferred by Fernando VII’s incomprehensible reaction of revoking his father’s legislation granting more autonomy and privileges to the Hispano-American provinces as soon as he obtained the crown (by forcing King Carlos IV to abdicate in a coup orchestrated by the reactionary faction in Madrid). This episodes were the immediate causes of the eruption of the rebellions against the Castillian monarchy in the Americas, which ultimately were successful in Nueva Granada, and in La Plata.

On the other hand, one of the last of King Carlos IV’s decrees was the institution of the “Cortes de Las Américas” (1810), a representative assembly of sorts established in Santiago de Guatemala that would serve to discuss matters related to the empire, with delegates coming from pre-fixed areas of the colonial empire. The reception by the colonial élites was very enthusiastic, as they finally got the expected chance of obtaining more autonomy to fulfill their own interests. Nevertheless, the promise of more representation came to be a vague and short-lived dream, because for all the gains obtained in this short period between 1810 and 1813, as soon as the Spanish court sailed back to Europe, the Cortes of Guatemala became an useless exercise of rhetoric between the colonial élites, as they were once again expected to dialogue with a distant and uncaring government in Madrid… even worse, a government vindicated by the apparent triumph of the absolutist pretenses and genuinely convinced about the archaic premises of the divine right of kings, as it was the case of King Fernando VII’s reactionary regime after his father’s deposition.

Other changes were much more unpopular, like the creation of new fiscal exactions and military conscriptions, even if supposedly legitimized by the noble pursuit of reconquering the metropolis from a foreign invader. This aggravated the division between Nueva España and the other provinces of the American empire, because the latter saw it as the creation of unwarranted privileges for the more northerly neighbor, and unwarranted burdens for the southern subjects. The worst measure was the initiation of a vast shipbuilding project – a virtual attempt of restarting the Spanish Armada from scratch – to join their new British allies in a Mediterranean offensive against France. The project was extremely expensive, and it certainly did not help that the new Spanish administration desired to see it concluded as soon as possible. These obligations to the Crown sparked some popular revolts between 1811 and 1816, notably in peripheral and impoverished regions of the empire directly affected by the measures (especially hurt by the new taxes, such as the infamous "Bovine tax", that infuriated many of the cattle ranchers in the northern provinces of Nueva España), like the large peasant uprisings in Yucatán and Cinaloa (Nueva Navarra) and a militia mutiny in Santiago de Cuba, whose violent suppression created a generalized hatred towards the government.

Sem título 2.jpg

King Fernando VII of Spain and México

3. Causes of the Independence Wars

Various factors caused the emancipation movements in Latin America. The immediate causes were:
  • The self-destructive policies of the Fernandine regime [4] upon his ascension to the throne, in 1815, which resulted in an unacceptable loss of autonomy and privileges for many of the colonial provinces. The structural hierarchy created by the elevation of Nueva España to a peculiar status – a de facto personal union with the Crown of Spain, ruled by proxy by the young Infante Francisco de Paula – had produced a serious divide and resentment among the colonial factions, especially with the élites of Nueva Granada and Perú, who refused outright to deal with the so-called longa manus of the Crown in the Americas. Of course, they desired the exact same privileges and benefits owed to the court of México, or even more!
  • The instability was aggravated by a series of popular uprisings that coincided to happen in the years between 1811 and 1815, owing to the economic crisis resulted from the reconstruction of the Spanish Armada, as well as the conscription demands.
  • Many members of the neglected Criollo élite, especially from Nueva Granada and Nueva España, actively fought in the Iberian War [5] during the Spanish court’s exile and after its return to Madrid. It’s no wonder that most of the leaders of the emancipation movements were career military officers. In fact, we can see a clear pattern: members of the conservative criollo élite, but profoundly influenced by the revolutionary liberal ideas coming from Europe, with military experience, including guerrilla warfare (very frequent in the Iberian War), and by a very strong sense of patriotism, combined with the overall insatisfaction with the absolutist-inclined Spanish government.

There were, also, mediate or long-term causes that actually shed more light to comprehend the drive towards independence:

• The influx of the liberal and revolutionary ideas of the French Revolution, much like in Brazil, that provoked a global reassessment of the role played by the intellectual and military groups of interest in the Americas, and their self-perceived underprivileged status in comparison to the “Peninsular” caste (i.e. the aristocrats and civilians born in Spain).
  • The influence of the independence of the United States, and of the war waging by Brazil itself against Portugal.
  • The rising and conflicting interests of the agrarian and mercantile native élites of the Americas and their increasing disgust toward the Crown of Spain, especially due to their belief that they were the ones who suffered the burden of sustaining the “Reconquista” against the French and hardly benefitted from it. As an example of this preconception, the first Latin-American national hymn, that of the Federation of Nueva Granada, on one of its passages proclaims: “So many of ours sons to Iberia went, so few of them returned. Their red blood war forgotten by the kings, and the lamentations of their mothers weren’t heard by the kings…”.
  • The economic, social and cultural changes experienced in the previous centuries had gradually forged an “American” identity, especially in the minds of the representatives of the Criollo élite in contrast to the Peninsular upper caste, a feature that would combine with their newfound patriotism in face of the increasing Spanish oppression.

[1] Remembering that ITTL, Portugal was effectively defeated in a naval war against Great Britain, and, while the legitimate monarch, Queen Maria of Portugal, and her legitimate regent, D. John, became de facto hostages of the Spanish monarchy. D. Carlota Joaquina unpopular regime failed to placate the hostility of the British and resulted in the bombardment of Lisboa on one hand, and in the territorial occupation of Portugal by Spain on the other hand. This state of things only changed after the Napoleonic invasion of Spain (with the casus belli being exactly Napoleon’s declared intention of giving Portugal to his sister, the Duchess of Parma), forcing Spain, Portugal and Britain to a convenient alliance.

[2] This is the first important divergence from OTL, besides the subjugation of Portugal. IOTL, in an attempt to emulate the escape of the Portuguese court to Brazil, the Spanish minister Manuel de Godoy really tried to conduct the king and his heir, who would become King Ferdinand VII, to the port of Cádiz, and from there escape to the Americas. The plan failed, as the Spanish population staged a revolt in the city of Aranjuez [see “Mutiny of Aranjuez”] and effectively deposed King Charles IV, installing Ferdinand as king. It was a short-living affair, as both of them were tricked by Napoleon in going to France, whereupon both of them were imprisoned and deposed, with Napoleon’s brother Joseph Bonaparte installed as King of Spain.

[3] This question is fundamental: IOTL, due to the fact that the Spanish monarchy was effectively taken hostage by Napoleon, the Latin American countries owed their allegiance to the Crown indirectly, through the rump government in Cádiz (the Junta of Cádiz), a force that also played a crucial role in the History of Spain due to its attempt of ending royal absolutism and introducing constitucionalism in the realm. The unexpected reactionarism and political myopia of the restored King Ferdinand VII after the end of the Napoleonic Wars was the immediate cause that contributed to the full turnaround of the Latin American criollo elites from seeking regional autonomy inside the empire to seeking outright emancipation. ITTL, however, the pivot of the revolutionary sentiment in South America will be exactly the actions of the Spanish court in México, and, later, after their restoration in Madrid.

[4] Before anyone says that a king simply disregarding the interests and pretensions of the whole group of subjects of the largest part of his empire, that’s exactly what King Ferdinand VII did IOTL, after undoing the advances fulfilled during the “Triênio Liberal”, effectively provoking the revolts that became the emancipationist movements in Central and South America.

[5] The Iberian War is obviously the alt-name for the Peninsular War. It goes similar to OTL, including the participation of the British army in the peninsula.

Last edited:
Your pace of updates is absolutely stunning. Really interested if Spain holds on to anything in the Americans. Fernando VII was Charles I Stuart and Nikolai II levels of terribad -- and if the court returns to Madrid, they don't exactly have someone like Dom Pedro to hold down Mexico.

Given Fernando VII also pissed off the Spaniards... it'd be kinda funny if he gets exiled again, especially if he has nowhere to go due to revolts... Peru was, IOTL, the most royalist viceroyalty -- is that still true ITTL or is Mexico happy due to the concessions made to its elites.

Also, if Mexico is run by reactionaries, I'd expect America to be pretty worried -- IOTL we started the Monroe Doctrine out of fear of Russia, and Mexico is, well, right over the border.

Your pace of updates is absolutely stunning. Really interested if Spain holds on to anything in the Americans. Fernando VII was Charles I Stuart and Nikolai II levels of terribad -- and if the court returns to Madrid, they don't exactly have someone like Dom Pedro to hold down Mexico.Given Fernando VII also pissed off the Spaniards... it'd be kinda funny if he gets exiled again, especially if he has nowhere to go due to revolts... Peru was, IOTL, the most royalist viceroyalty -- is that still true ITTL or is Mexico happy due to the concessions made to its elites. Also, if Mexico is run by reactionaries, I'd expect America to be pretty worried -- IOTL we started the Monroe Doctrine out of fear of Russia, and Mexico is, well, right over the border.

Thanks! It's more because I'm currently in a minor vacation period, so I get to write a lot in some periods... and unfortunately this leaves some hiatus between the periods, because my work + study periods are very demanding and gives me little time (or energy :( ) to write.

ITTL, most of México and Central America remain with Spain, due to the changes introduced by the exiled Spanish court in México City. This directly provokes México in adopting a more pro-monarchism and royalist stance than IOTL, and though they don't have a D. Pedro I, they do have Infante Francisco de Paula (King Charles IV's youngest son), who had somewhat of a more liberal inclination than his brothers Ferdinand and Charles.

This doesn't means there won't be revolts or revolutionary interests in México. There are, but there, much like in Cuba and San Domingo, they find less support among the Criollo elite in Central America than in South America, because it saw itself in a much more privileged position than those of Colombia, Perú and especially the countries of the Southern Cone. This means that roughly the whole of South America gets independent (but the conclusion of the Independence Wars will be very different than from OTL), but New Spain as a whole remains royalist. Regarding Perú, they remain a loyalist stronghold, but this puts them at odds with the pro-emancipation New Granada and La Plata.

Ferdinand VII will remain in Spain, as bad as it can be for the Spaniards... and indeed the Spanish monarchy will see a similar succession crisis pitting Isabella v. uncle Carlos upon his death.

Now, however, with a strong loyalist colony in the Americas, this completely changes the panorama of the First Carlist War: as someone will in fact go to México and establish a remnant of the Crown of Spain there. I won't give too much details because I actually haven't yet worked them by now. The idea I'm toying in my head is having a Carlist México vs. an Isabelline Spain, and the presence of an European monarch in the Americas will profoundly affect the relationship with the United States, exactly as you suggested.

This, in fact, goes all according to my plan of having a less American North-America. I'm not sure it's objetively plausible, but it might make sense in the context of this TL!

Carlist Mexico? Oh damn, I fully expect America to a) try and support revolution and b) take some land. Constitutional monarchy is one thing, but an Oriamendi-blasting, Cristo Rey y Fueros Mexico is a huge contrast.

Given the Carlists less modernizing tendencies, will local power and, presumably, indigenous identity, be better preserved? In Spain, they were the avatar of the non-Castillians and their rights, after all -- and Carlism will be directly against the liberal, modernizing tendencies that one saw in the rest of Latin America. It also means more agrarianism -- Mexico already got the least immigrants IOTL, and I guess we should expect even less ITTL...

I hope by varied you don't mean balkanized USA, if only because balkanized USA is so cliche by now :p Then again, I imagine the South might find an alliance with Carlism -- and the very-similar-to-states-rights concept of fueros -- to be useful in case things go, pardon my pun, south...

Also, Central America is good to hold on to -- much more fertile and generally useful than the Mexican north, aka ranchers-and-anarchy-and-uppityness land. A Mexico focused southward would have interesting effects on the rest of North America...

Carlist Mexico? Oh damn, I fully expect America to a) try and support revolution and b) take some land. Constitutional monarchy is one thing, but an Oriamendi-blasting, Cristo Rey y Fueros Mexico is a huge contrast. Given the Carlists less modernizing tendencies, will local power and, presumably, indigenous identity, be better preserved? In Spain, they were the avatar of the non-Castillians and their rights, after all -- and Carlism will be directly against the liberal, modernizing tendencies that one saw in the rest of Latin America. It also means more agrarianism -- Mexico already got the least immigrants IOTL, and I guess we should expect even less ITTL...

I hope by varied you don't mean balkanized USA, if only because balkanized USA is so cliche by now :p Then again, I imagine the South might find an alliance with Carlism -- and the very-similar-to-states-rights concept of fueros -- to be useful in case things go, pardon my pun, south...

Well, I really haven't thought about the details yet. It could happen all the other way around: Carlos triumphs in Spain and forces Isabella into exile (but I think this is even more outlandish, AFAIK he didn't have so much support inside Spain). To be honest, I wanted a México in full personal union with the Spanish Crown, so another idea would simply butterflying away the Carlist Wars. I confess I'm liking the idea of having a pro-liberal Infante Francisco de Paula as a proxy of his niece Queen Isabella in México. This yields a more optimistic scenario for México than the shitstorm the country faced from the Mexican-American War until the 1920s. This means a less backwards México, more focused on modernized tendencies, as you said (albeit with less "steam" than the US, Prussia and alike).

Balkanized America is a cliché that I hate to love... at least we can have independent California and Texas, please??

Also, Central America is good to hold on to -- much more fertile and generally useful than the Mexican north, aka ranchers-and-anarchy-and-uppityness land. A Mexico focused southward would have interesting effects on the rest of North America...

That's a great point. Even if México retains its de jure possessions north of the Rio Grande (which I don't find so likely), it would be fairly interesting to see them more focused in Yucatán, Guatemala, and so forth. This brings me to another point: there certainly will be a lot of bad blood between the monarchist Mexicans and fervent republican Neogranadines [i.e. Colombians] for that sorry stretch of land called Panama.

P.S. I've had never heard about Oriamendi, it's actually pretty epic!

Last edited:
I love the Oriamendi myself.

As for independent American nations... Texas and California only exist because of American settlers (I think their popularity as secession republics is more based in modern power than in historical fact). The most likely regions are New England and, of course, the South (which only rebelled when its historical project of dominating America and using the entire country towards slave-imperial ends was overcome electorally). An early Southron rebellion, and the creation of an independent Deep South are, surprisingly, underexplored.

I hope you go with Carlist Mexico myself, partially because the idea intrigues me, partially because optimism annoys me and partially because I have a soft spot, despite my politics, for the Carlists. I also don't think a full personal union would go well -- personal unions are a relic of the pre-Westphalian era, and trying to have one work across the Atlantic, when both sides are equally powerful (or possibly Mexico is stronger than Spain, IDK), seems like it wouldn't last very long.

I love the Oriamendi myself. As for independent American nations... Texas and California only exist because of American settlers (I think their popularity as secession republics is more based in modern power than in historical fact). The most likely regions are New England and, of course, the South (which only rebelled when its historical project of dominating America and using the entire country towards slave-imperial ends was overcome electorally). An early Southron rebellion, and the creation of an independent Deep South are, surprisingly, underexplored.

I hope you go with Carlist Mexico myself, partially because the idea intrigues me, partially because optimism annoys me and partially because I have a soft spot, despite my politics, for the Carlists. I also don't think a full personal union would go well -- personal unions are a relic of the pre-Westphalian era, and trying to have one work across the Atlantic, when both sides are equally powerful (or possibly Mexico is stronger than Spain, IDK), seems like it wouldn't last very long.

I agree with your points. Independent California and Texas are scenarios more grounded on modern premises than historical basis. I've checked some old threads regarding independent California, and the conclusion is that even if it by luck survived as an independent state, it wouldn't last long, and would certainly fall in the US sphere of influence.

Nevertheless, I was just sharing with you guys the sketches I had in mind. My point of focus will remain in Brazil, and I really don't intend to delve beyond it exactly for fear of creating implausible scenarios (even though I might have a personal soft spot for one concept or another).

Wasn't what is OTL Uruguay part of Brazil in this time? Because in the map, Montevideo seems to be a part of Spanish possessions.

Uruguay as of yet is still a part of the Viceroyalty of La Plata. ITTL, there was an abortive Brazilian attempt of conquering it in 1808 with British maritime support (an episode that mirrored the historical British invasions of the River Plate), but the Luso-Brazilians and British were repelled, and the war effectivelly ended when Napoleon invaded Spain and forced it into an alliance with Britain. Nevertheless, it's important to note that the drive to conquer Uruguay remained strong among the Gaúchos, of whom President Mena Barreto is the most representative character. This is exactly the point that will be covered in the next chapters.

Besides, the map in the previous post is of the year 1800. Uruguay then was indeed part of the Spanish Empire (administered by the Viceroyalty of La Plata).

17. The Civil War in La Plata (1821-1824)
More than three months without an update. Too much work makes Jack here a dull boy, but finally I got some inward peace to sketch another chapter. I hope those few readers who were around the last time haven't given up... anyways, I think in the next few days I can put some more chapters online. I'll make an effort!

In 1824, the Federation of La Plata, a republic whose constituent states arose from the former Spanish Viceroyalty of the Río de La Plata, was experiencing a protracted civil war regarding the political division of power. The ruling party centered in Buenos Aires (the former colonial capital) sought greater centralization and a stronger Executive branch, represented by the Supreme Director of the Federation, and thus they became known as “Unitarians” [Unitaristas]. The problem: the Platinense Constitution, subscribed by the representatives of various provinces in San Miguel de Tucumán (1816), much like the Brazilian Constitution, provisioned a federal regime, and the successive attempts of the Porteño government of increasing its own power after the collapse of the Spanish colonial empire were deemed unconstitutional and tyrannical by various political leaders of the peripherical spheres of power. These leaders successfully coalesced into the so-called “Constitutional League” [Liga Constitucional], led by the Oriental [1] caudillo José Gervasio Artigas.

For a couple years, the disarray of the rulers in Buenos Aires – literally surrounded by hostile provinces commanded by charismatic warlords with their own private armies – permitted the Constitutional League to gain the upper hand, and almost put Buenos Aires itself to siege. Soon, however, the League’s effort became a vain one, as its various leaders disputed among themselves. José Gervasio Artigas’ leadership successfully preserved a bloc of military forces comprising the states of Banda Oriental, Corrientes, Missiones and Paraguay, while the caudillos of Santa Fé, Córdoba and Entrerios splintered away, and were gradually subjugated.

Mapa_ARGENTINA_1840_coalicion_del_norte.png

When José Gervasio Artigas himself suffered a decisive defeat in his own homeland, with the troops from Buenos Aires capturing Montevideo, he mustered his forces to wage a guerilla inside Banda Oriental. Not too long after, he was betrayed by one of his own subordinates, and made a prisoner in Buenos Aires. Some disgruntled members of the Directorate wanted him hanged as a traitor, but the moderates – respectful of Artigas’ patriotic campaigns against the Spaniards during the independence war – prevailed and the caudillo received a more honorable execution by a firing squad.

Nevertheless, the federalist faction by now seemed defeated. With Banda Oriental occupied, only Paraguay, Missiones and Corrientes remained, now led by José Gaspar Rodríguez de Francia. The war turned into a stalemate, as the forces of Buenos Aires sought to consolidate its hold over Banda Oriental, and the conflict degenerated into guerilla and skirmishes along the border.

José Gaspar Rodríguez de Francia had long since supported contacting the Brazilian government to obtain their military support against the Unitarian faction, but was firmly opposed by José Gervasio Artigas and the Orientales – who collectively held various grievances against the Luso-Brazilians and in fact desired to annex Rio Grande do Sul into their own irredentist project for the Federation of La Plata – and by the former marshal of the Paraguayan militia, Fulgencio Yegros y Franco de Torres. Now that Artigas was dead and the Orientales had been subjugated, even Fulgencio Yegros had to recognize that the federalist cause seemed lost, and only foreign intervention might save them. They had tried obtaining British and even Unitedstadian [2] support in the previous years, but received none. Other potential allies, such as the Confederation of Nueva Granada [OTL Gran Colombia], were still waging a bloody war against the Spanish monarchy, whose monarchist regime in Nueva España [OTL Mexico] held strong.

Thus, when President José de Abreu Mena Barreto’s cabinet received a diplomatic delegation from Paraguay (representing the federalist league), being aware of the civil war in La Plata, they immediately responded. In fact, the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs had previously sent representatives to meet with the so-called “revolutionaries”, offering material and military support, but they were outright refused and expelled by Artigas.

Artigas had his own reasons: being an Oriental, he likely suspected that the Brazilians had expansionist designs to conquer Banda Oriental. They had tried it 1807, supported by the British Royal Navy, and were expected to do it again. José Gaspar Rodríguez de Francia was savvy enough to harbor his own concerns towards Brazilian expansionism, considering that they had recently performed military operations near the border of Paraguay to defeat the royalist Portuguese remnant in Mato Grosso. After Artigas’ execution, however, the Paraguayans came to regard the Brazilians as the lesser evil, especially as the advances of the Unitarian armies towards the rebellious states became increasingly brutal.

To their surprise, the Brazilian offensive was swift and decisive. Indeed, the Brazilians had been aware about the civil war occurring there since 1821, and were justly awaiting a convenient opportunity to intervene and reap benefits for itself.

*****​

For centuries, the Portuguese and Spanish colonizers of the pampas region of South America disputed, including by force of arms, the estuary of the La Plata River. It had been thoroughly settled by the Spaniards, of course, as the Kingdom of Spain needed to secure the flow of the precious metals extracted from the Andes to the Atlantic Ocean, but the Crown of Portugal fostered the occupation by its own subjects on the region. From this ambitious project, in an era in which the settling of a territory by a certain ethnic group warranted political and social recognition as a legitimate national possession, the colonies of Sacramento and the Jesuit missions on the former country of the indigenous Guarani confederation were founded by the Portuguese, while many other towns were built and settled by Hispano-Americans.

The Luso-Brazilian Gaúcho colonists fostered the cultural idiosyncrasy of expanding their sociopolitical control over the whole region between the former Jesuit territories until the estuary of the La Plata River to claim its pastures and grazing fields. Indeed, this region between what they now named “State of Rio Grande do Sul” and the La Plata River – called by the Spaniards “Banda Oriental” [lit. “Eastern Bank”] in relation to the Uruguay River – was seen as an “ethnic” habitat of the Gaúchos after the expulsion and subjugation of the aboriginal Guaranis, and now regarded themselves as a separate nation from the Hispano-American colonists living in the same region. Yes, the conquest of the region between the Uruguay River and the Atlantic Ocean, even after the emancipation from Portugal was seen as a strategic imperative – with that river being deemed the “natural border” of Rio Grande do Sul – as well as a collective ambition.

President Mena Barreto, being a Gaúcho himself, obtained his first triumphs in the two conflicts against the Hispano-American colonists, first in the War of 1801, and then in the War of Banda Oriental (1807/1808), when his colonial army had received naval support of the British Royal Navy to conquer the estuary of the La Plata River.

As his first presidential term was coming to an end, and the Brazilian nation finally witnessed a respite of political and social stability, with the former loyalist strongholds safely under control of the Federal Armed Forces, the President decided the time was ripe to undertake the first military expedition against a foreign nation… no, to lead his own nation (and perhaps he imagined himself as a Gaúcho rather than as a Brazilian) in its first triumph against a foreign country, and thus he accepted the Paraguayans’ request of intervening in the war against the Porteño Unitarian government.

*****​

In March 1825, the Federal Government of Brazil issued a formal declaration of war against the sovereign government the La Plata Federation, centered in Buenos Aires.

The Brazilian military forces by then had already crossed the southern border of the State of Rio Grande do Sul into the province of Banda Oriental – led by President José de Abreu Mena Barreto himself, and accompanied by his cousin, Gen. João de Deus Mena Barreto. The 2nd and 3rd Brazilian Corps advanced quickly to capture its strongholds, with the ultimate goal being the seizing of Montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento.

ABagizh.jpg

Elite Line Infantry of the 2nd Brazilian Corps

Besides the alleged necessity of lending to the “most sublime cause of liberty”, the Brazilians cited as casus belli in the war declaration a series of grievances and damages – notably cattle stealing and raids – allegedly suffered by the “unhappy people” of South Brazil, victims of the violence and depredations of the savage inhabitants of Banda Oriental. The Platinenses were not impressed by the flimsy pretext and quickly denounced the affair as an expansionist war.

*****​

Modern Historiography confers very timid applause to this military episode that came to be known as Platinense War, despite the fact that it resulted in a remarkable victory for Brazil. To this day, it is seen as “Mena Barreto’s war”, an unnecessary and worthless conflict arranged by himself and the top-ranking Gaúcho military elite – a minoritarian group in the Parliament – to satisfy their own short-term ambitions.

Indeed, this conflict would present a very serious geopolitical karma against Brazil in the following decades, and the “Uruguay region” would be a flashpoint scenario for various conflicts between the Brazilians and their Hispano-American neighbors. Some radical revisionists of Liberal aspiration go as far as picturing President Mena Barreto as a bloodthirsty warmonger infected by the pernicious desire for personal glory, expecting to emulate Napoléon Bonaparte as the generals of Antiquity had revered the memory of Alexander the Great.

Nevertheless, this critical assessment, even if understandable in hindsight, is incoherent with the context of the period itself. The contemporary sources give the impression that, far from single-handedly orchestrating a haphazard war, President Mena Barreto was not so eager to declare war, and was actually pressured by the political partisans and by the public opinion to initiate the campaign in support of the cowered Constitutionalist League led by the Paraguayans. More likely, is probable that he assessed the situation from a geostrategic point of view – the seizing of Banda Oriental was a military and political exigency – but only felt safe to act as he realized his project would count with the support of the Parliament. Mena Barreto’s gravest concern, indeed, was the economic impact that a war would have in the finances: the fledgling economy would hardly sustain a prolonged war effort.

The Brazilians, right after the War of Independence, were still entranced by a bellicose and rather paranoid atmosphere. The historical sources – from literary authors to political commenters – make it clear that there was a latent fear that their hard-won emancipation would be threatened by a foreign power. After all, the British economic and political influence was becoming increasingly pervasive, especially in regards to the obnoxious prohibition of the slave commerce, enforced by Royal Navy gunships in the Atlantic Ocean. Now that the lusophobia was waning, as quickly as the star of Portugal had faded with the crumbling of their decadent empire, new terrors were becoming present in the everyday life of the Brazilians, most notably among their political élite: fears of a British invasion, fears of a Spanish aggression, fears of radical revolutions, and, the worst and most terrifying dread, the fear of a slave rebellion.

The sociopolitical climate was polluted by the sensationalist newspapers of the time – whose circulation experienced an unprecedented boom among urban populations of Rio de Janeiro, Salvador da Bahia and Recife de Pernambuco in these years – with real or exaggerated tales about the rise of new nations in the Americas led by warmongering caudillos, of the British-sanctioned attacks against slaver ships in the Atlantic, of the consolidation of the Spanish monarchy in the realm of Nueva Espanã, and so forth.

In the Parliament of Rio de Janeiro, in these years between the first and second terms of President Mena Barreto, reigned an anxiety that the now emancipated former Spanish colonies in South America would amalgamate into a single federation and rival with the vulnerable nation of Brazil. The deputies of the Parliament from military background secretly envied the great victories of the rising crioulo leaders against the Spanish royalist armies in Nueva Granada, in Venezuela and in Perú.

Indeed, as President Mena Barreto warned in one of his addresses to the parliamentarians, a strong and earnest government was needed to prevent the breakup of Portuguese America, as well as its cannibalization by the nations born from the carcass of the Spanish Empire.

These fears, even if arguably exaggerated and far-fetched, were present in the collective consciousness of the Brazilians in the 1820s, exacerbated by the domestic issues and by the uncertainty of the future, and cannot be disregarded as a cause to justify Brazilian intervention in the Platinense civil war. President Mena Barreto, in this context, can hardly be regarded the prime mover of the chain of events that led to the Second War of Banda Oriental, even if he undeniably played a decisive role in its development (likely out of sheer ambition).

[1] Oriental – Uruguay, much like OTL, remained for a long time with the name “Banda Oriental”, and thus its citizens became known as “Orientales

[2] Unitedstadian - the word is strange, but perhaps we can get used to avoid calling a citizen of the United States "American". Please don't sue me, that's just for storyline purposes :)

Last edited:
In regards to 'Unitedstadian' wouldn't people just drop it to something like 'Stadian'? Not like the word exists and would be much better to actually use so it would have an actual chance in replacing American as term since in terms of language people really don't like making effort.

Great update, it isn't a Brazilian timeline if we don't A) become friends with Argentina or B) kick Argentina in the teeth.
Funny that we are ''helping'' the Paraguayans this time.
What's the current state of the Brazilian army?