Of Pork & Barrel: The Ted Stevens Presidency

Opening
  • "President Theodore Fulton Stevens, Sr., was one of the most influential presidents in the past fourty years of this nation's history." - Paul Krugman.

"The trajectory of the 21st century radically changed under the helm of the Hoosier-born Alaskan titan that is President Ted Stevens." - Thomas Friedman.

"The left loathed him. The right loved him. The right hated him. The left appreciated him. This sentiment best represents the complex and multi-layered legacy of President Theodore Stevens, of whom not even his closest biographers can fully assess." - Charles Cooke.

@IntellectuallyHonestRhino presents:

Of Pork and Barrel: The Ted Stevens Presidency

Ted_Stevens.jpg

Last edited:
    Presidential Election of 2000
  • With a booming economy and stable world on the horizon of the 21st century, the legacy of President William Jefferson Clinton was one, that based on historical observation, would have been highly compelling as one to follow. Clinton's charisma certainly magnetized and mesmerized millions.

However, with the Monica Lewinsky Scandal shocking families coast to coast, the stellar domestic and foreign accomplishments paled in comparison to the media charade of scandal and deceit. Clinton's coverup of his infidelity stole prophecy from his Vice President Al Gore's chances in becoming his successor.

Faced with the realization of a close election, Al Gore decided it was important to have a Vice President who could boost his chances in a critical state without alienating large swaths of voters. He found this in Senator Bob Graham of Florida, who now increased Gore's chances of carrying the Sunshine State tenfold.

He found competition in youthful and charismatic Governor George Walker Bush, son of Former President H.W. Bush. Bush, along with seasoned politician Dick Cheney of Wyoming, provided a formidable ticket, castigating at "budget responsibility" and "marital infidelity" with equal glee and vigor.

gore.jpg

(Vice President Gore at a rally comprised of union workers in Ohio, 2000.)

128634-004-1E256203.jpg

(Governor George Bush (R) of Texas greets supporters at a rally, 2000.)

Domestic issues dominated the debate, from the budget and taxes to social welfare reforms. The Clinton-Lewinsky scandal also made headway, presenting Gore and the Democrats with a difficult choice, should Bill Clinton, a highly popular yet polarizing president, be involved in the campaign?

The answer was no. "Keep it safe", Gore said. "The economy can speak for itself. World peace can speak for itself."

The decision proved costly, as Clinton's infidelity and lying under oath already angered millions; Clinton's presence on the campaign trail had no bearing over that. The election turned very close and many started predicting a Bush presidency:

genusmap.php

Gore/Graham (D) - 292 (48.4%)

Bush/Cheney (R) - 246 (47.9%)

Nader/LaDuke (G) - 0 (2.74%)

Except that didn't happen. Gore's choice of choosing Graham was a sensible one, awarding him victory in Florida even with many senior Jewish citizens in retirement homes accidently voting for Bush. What could have turned into a major scandal was merely a humorous trifle in election history. "What ifs" were presented, mostly on casual lines, for the sake of analysis amongst political and judicial wonks.

Albert Arnold Gore Jr. had been elected as the 43rd President of the United States. Now it was time for Gore to shape his own legacy, and also be shaped by currents at both home and abroad.

Last edited:
    Dream Big, Dream High
  • With a close shave in November, Al Gore knew that the only way he could be reelected was to be an ambitious president; stand on his own two feet. Bush Sr. fulfilled Reagan's "third term", and Gore, having defeated a Bush, did not want to become one.

Reinstating former Clinton Secretary of the Treasury Robert Rubin, President Gore emphasized his new grand mission; developing an economy that produced wealth efficiently while benefited all of it's members.

"There is no reason why the United States of America, the greatest nation on the face of the Earth, entering the 21st century, cannot create a productive economy that lifts up all. Secretary Rubin and I will work hard for that, and there are three main goals we have for this ambitious project, lowering corporate taxes so that American companies can compete right at home, raising income taxes to make up for lost revenue from lowered corporate taxes for both purposes relating to social welfare and the national debt, and finally instituting economic reforms that remove corruption from the process and promote honest trade over cronyism." - President Al Gore's economic reform speech, 2001.

6448820c155aea81aecff68b8725672c.jpg

(President Al Gore at a press conference, Washington D.C., 2001)

While the speech had varying responses depending on the audience (raising taxes was not music to most American's ears), in general the idea of promoting American business and at the same time protecting the little guy garnered appeal across the board. However, the shift in economic policy scared many insiders, including long-time Alaskan Senator Ted Stevens.

"He's after guys like me." thought the Alaskan leader. Having a political career spanning more than four decades, Senator Stevens had done much for the development of Alaska, however some of the deals involved were not the most honest in spirit. Pork and Barrel politics were common, but Stevens calmed himself with the known fact that this sort of politics was the usual within the Last Frontier state. "He's power hungry that Gore. He wants all of those who built this country in the previous generation, the greatest generation, dead and gone."

Senator Stevens knew that Gore was his greatest threat yet, and that for the sake of his political survival he had to defeat the man from Tennessee in any way he could.

Last edited:
    The Leahy-Schumer Act
  • President Gore had wanted to implement his economic vision since the day he entered office. "A grand plan" he frequently stated. "I hope to be remembered for my economic efforts."

Communicating his desires to Veteran Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont (the other Vermont Senator, Jim Jeffords, joined the Democratic party, giving the Democrats the slim majority of 50 + 1 (Vice President Graham's vote) in the Senate. With the Democratic party in charge of the Senate, and with a little bit of compromises here and there, Senators Leahy and Schumer were able to pass the Leahy-Schumer Act, which raised income taxes, lowered corporate taxes, raised punishments for tax and corporate fraud, and ended major tax loopholes in the system.

5sumpa-chuck-schumer-patrick-leahy_photo.jpg

(Senators Leahy and Schumer in their later political careers, having a discussion. They were two of the three most influential voices in the new Democratic party.)

There was much anger amongst many in the upper echelons of society. "I'm fine with high corporate taxes; I could just ship the jobs elsewhere!" was a sentiment that was popular. Amongst those in high society who opposed the new Act was Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska. He frequently discussed the situation on the golf courses with his friends, stating:

"Gore's administration is out to get you. We have to stop him."

Stevens knew that time was the best strategy, as time would past, presenting itself an opportunity. Unfortunately, he would not have to wait long.

Last edited:
    9/11
  • 911-september-11th-attacks.jpg

(The 9/11 attacks; the most brutal attack on American soil in American history. It left more than 3000 people dead, and scarred the nation forever.)

The 9/11 attacks were an unexpected attack. America was not fighting a major war and had a major foe to fight. Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan, & the Soviet Union had all been defeated. The perpetrators, terrorists from an organization called Al-Queda, lead by Osama Bin Laden, had the blood of thousands of Americans on their hands. Innocents, working hard for their families were brutally killed, with some jumping out of the building as an attempt to get out of the burning atmosphere that was simultaneously choking and burning them to death. Terror was committed against the American people. In this carnage came an understandably angry response, however there was unfortunate spillover. Arab (including Christians), Muslim, & even Middle eastern looking Americans (especially Sikhs) were attacked in brutal hate crime, with anti-Muslim hate crimes reaching up to 481 in the year 2000. Such a national tragedy where tensions were high and the flames of conflict highly flammable; tough and direct leadership was demanded.

And this is where President Gore's political mission collapsed. Although releasing a speech on Prime Time stating that "America will punish its enemies as it has always done" and promised to "seek justice for the victims of this national tragedy", he tried to keep enough momentum for his economic legacy and other programs. He tried to force domestic issues on the table when the momentum was in the opposite direction. And he gained the ire of many Americans, with a majority (56%) of Americans saying that President Gore "had not done enough to deal with the tragedy of 9/11". Gore had failed to understand the situation, and made a further mistake. He doubled down, stating that "we cannot let the terrorists win by getting our minds off of rebuilding our country."

Cue in Senator Stevens; eager to take down the President. On the Senate Floor, Stevens bellowed, "The President says we must rebuild our country. Why not start with the Twin Towers, mister President!". The statements earned Stevens wide approval amongst Republicans and even independents, with 95 and 75 percent's respectively. Gore's approval rating slipped to 42%

President Gore was at his weakest, and Senator Stevens sensed it.

abc_archive_ATBA3966X_wg.jpg

(President Gore addressing the nation in Prime Time over the 9/11 attacks, September 12, 2001.)

21giuliani-600.jpg

(Mayor Giuliani at "ground zero". His response was hailed by political figures across the spectrum. For his work he was labelled "America's Mayor" by media mogul Oprah Winfrey, a title he cherished for the rest of his political career.)

kpn28f-b78443563z.120081212143941000g2pflbn9.1lg.jpg

(Senator Stevens giving his famous "rebuild the towers first, damnit" speech, September 21, 2001.)

Last edited:
    Radio in Juneau
  • "Facing a recent surge in national popularity over his speech following President Gore's response to September 11, Senator Ted Stevens went around numerous conservative media outlets. His most famous exchange was on The Rush Limbaugh Show." - Charles Cooke

October 7, 2001:

Limbaugh: Ladies & Gentlemen, it is my honor to welcome the man who is not only a founding father of our 49th state, but also the man who stood up for common sense, for proper action, for this nation. Live from Juneau its Senator Ted Stephens!

Stevens: Thank you for inviting me to your program Rush.

Limbaugh: The pleasure is all mine, Senator. First of all, how are things up in Alaska? I presume pretty chilly.

Stevens: Haha yes, it's not California up here.

Limbaugh: Now I must, ask, Senator, how do you respond to the allegations that your speech on the Senate floor was, and I quote, "too crude" and "partisan".

rush-limbaugh-white-shirt-hands-up-600.jpg

(Rush Limbaugh at his studio, asking Senator Stephens the pivotal question.)

Stevens: Although I highly value discretion and decency, I cannot control my temper when 3000 good Americans died a brutal death, and even more so when the President frankly sits on his lap. I'm sorry, but when the nation is attacked, the President has to abandon his pet project and focus on protecting and yes, avenging Americans.

"Stevens national portfolio grew with every word he uttered on Limbaugh's program, already cementing himself as the right's "9/11 champion". Letters were sent to him the following weeks, months, even years, titled "Mr. President"." - Thomas Friedman

Limbaugh: That's extremely thought provoking, Senator. I know you have a rally coming up soon, so if you wish to give the final word.

Stevens: Thank you Rush. I would like to respond to the claim that I was being partisan. There is nothing conservative or liberal about protecting Americans with clarity and direction. FDR was no conservative, but that didn't stop him

"Invoking FDR's name in a positive light reassured many moderates and even liberals of Senator Stevens' calm temperament, while his "tough talk" on both the Senate floor and the beginning of his interview with Rush Limbaugh solidified his image amongst the conservative base as a fighter. Stevens was probably the first man of the century to be able to have his cake and eat it too, brandishing himself simultaneously as a moderate and fire breather." - Noah Chomsky.

ted-stevens.jpg

(Senator Stevens in a radio studio in Juneau during his interview with Rush Limbaugh.)

Limbaugh: You watch Senator Stevens' speech in Juneau in ten minutes, 8PM Pacific Time & 11PM Eastern Time. Senator Stephens, thank you so much for coming onto the program and enlightening us with your common sense and ingenuity. You are certainly a needed voice, and we patriotic Americans will be watching you with great attention.

Stevens: Thank you for having me on, Rush.

"Through radio and television waves, Senator Steven's message and portfolio grew tenfold. The age of modern technology blessed the ancient Senator time and again, and is a necessary component of how he became President."

Last edited:
    GST and Canberra you see
  • February 2001 (by-election held on the fifth):

Located in Queensland, Australian parliamentary constituency Ryan was a traditional Liberal stronghold. However, Prime Minister John Howard, growing more and more unpopular for his GST policy, was biting his nails at the growing sign of the Ryan by-election. Defense Minister John Moore had just resigned, doing so at a horrible time for the Howard administration. A loss in a stronghold would not only jeopardize his policy, but also embarrass his administration and the party at large. A loss would have been greatly embarrassing. Wishing to prevent the worst in the by-election, Prime Minister Howard decided to campaign there. Unfortunately for him, John Moore also ran a campaign of his own.

John Moore did not run for election in the seat, but instead argued against the Howard administration's policies regarding the GST. He never endorsed the Labor party candidate, but made very clear his intentions that he did not support the government. Dissatisfied Liberals supported Moore's cause and Howard's campaign fell on deaf ears. He made several gaffes, including falling down the stairs on his war down from a rally platform. The results were brutal:

Leonie Short (Labor): 60.67%

Bob Tucker (Liberal): 39.33%

John Howard, losing not only the Western Australia and Queensland elections earlier but now the Ryan by-election by a wide margin (and on top of his several gaffes), his grip over Canberra was shrinking by the minute. And John Moore, sensing a grand opportunity, already was devising plans to gain more power in the greasy pole of Australian politics.

John_Moore_1999.jpg

(Former Defense Minister John Moore's craft and good luck earned him manifold political capital. Only time would tell how he would dispense of it.)

Last edited: