Of Pork & Barrel: The Ted Stevens Presidency

Radio in Juneau
"Facing a recent surge in national popularity over his speech following President Gore's response to September 11, Senator Ted Stevens went around numerous conservative media outlets. His most famous exchange was on The Rush Limbaugh Show." - Charles Cooke

October 7, 2001:

Limbaugh: Ladies & Gentlemen, it is my honor to welcome the man who is not only a founding father of our 49th state, but also the man who stood up for common sense, for proper action, for this nation. Live from Juneau its Senator Ted Stephens!

Stevens: Thank you for inviting me to your program Rush.

Limbaugh: The pleasure is all mine, Senator. First of all, how are things up in Alaska? I presume pretty chilly.

Stevens: Haha yes, it's not California up here.

Limbaugh: Now I must, ask, Senator, how do you respond to the allegations that your speech on the Senate floor was, and I quote, "too crude" and "partisan".

rush-limbaugh-white-shirt-hands-up-600.jpg

(Rush Limbaugh at his studio, asking Senator Stephens the pivotal question.)

Stevens: Although I highly value discretion and decency, I cannot control my temper when 3000 good Americans died a brutal death, and even more so when the President frankly sits on his lap. I'm sorry, but when the nation is attacked, the President has to abandon his pet project and focus on protecting and yes, avenging Americans.

"Stevens national portfolio grew with every word he uttered on Limbaugh's program, already cementing himself as the right's "9/11 champion". Letters were sent to him the following weeks, months, even years, titled "Mr. President"." - Thomas Friedman

Limbaugh: That's extremely thought provoking, Senator. I know you have a rally coming up soon, so if you wish to give the final word.

Stevens: Thank you Rush. I would like to respond to the claim that I was being partisan. There is nothing conservative or liberal about protecting Americans with clarity and direction. FDR was no conservative, but that didn't stop him

"Invoking FDR's name in a positive light reassured many moderates and even liberals of Senator Stevens' calm temperament, while his "tough talk" on both the Senate floor and the beginning of his interview with Rush Limbaugh solidified his image amongst the conservative base as a fighter. Stevens was probably the first man of the century to be able to have his cake and eat it too, brandishing himself simultaneously as a moderate and fire breather." - Noah Chomsky.

ted-stevens.jpg

(Senator Stevens in a radio studio in Juneau during his interview with Rush Limbaugh.)

Limbaugh: You watch Senator Stevens' speech in Juneau in ten minutes, 8PM Pacific Time & 11PM Eastern Time. Senator Stephens, thank you so much for coming onto the program and enlightening us with your common sense and ingenuity. You are certainly a needed voice, and we patriotic Americans will be watching you with great attention.

Stevens: Thank you for having me on, Rush.

"Through radio and television waves, Senator Steven's message and portfolio grew tenfold. The age of modern technology blessed the ancient Senator time and again, and is a necessary component of how he became President."

Last edited:
Thoughts? Predictions?

We like Stevens on air?
Of course not.

Do I think you are writing something plausible? I am reserving judgement on that, waiting to see what happens.

You certainly are not writing a utopia, not from my point of view. If this is a thread for people who enjoy and agree with what Stevens said, I had best be going.

Of course not.

The question boils down to:

1) I want everything to go well and smooth

2) Let it burn! Let it burn!

You chose the first option.

Do I think you are writing something plausible? I am reserving judgement on that, waiting to see what happens.

Well I am glad you are sticking around! I hope you enjoy the TL as it continues :). Hopefully I can do a good job with suspense, twists, and other surprises. It's a given that Ted Stevens will indeed become President. But how he will, and what will he do with the highest office in the land is the greatest mystery ;).

You certainly are not writing a utopia, not from my point of view. If this is a thread for people who enjoy and agree with what Stevens said, I had best be going.

I don't think I've ever written a utopia ever. My Bryan TL wasn't a dystopia at all but it has WW1 in it (a different WW1) and southern democrats gain more control through a Democratic run nation (so yeah … definitely not utopia). My Boshin War TL is bloodier and longer than the real one, my Ford TL is going to be relatively dystopic (already hints of this), and Iron Eagle is Iron Eagle.

This one is not a utopia, no its definitely not. Unless you like federal corruption to the max! Pork and Barrel politics here we go!!!!!!!!!

Side note: Two of my three replies are in the blue box. Just how it ended up. Sorry if its confusing.

If this is a thread for people who enjoy and agree with what Stevens said, I had best be going.

I don't know everyone's opinions. But, if you wish to find an author who is genuine in his thrill for Stevens and right wing populism, this TL may not be for you ;). (Translate: Welcome aboard! I'm sure you will enjoy the wonderful audience. We have many people, from @Bomster from Arizona to @Blebea Cezar-Iulian from Romania! Jump right in! Have a swell time with a swell audience :))

If this is a thread for people who enjoy and agree with what Stevens said, I had best be going.

Well, @Gentleman Biaggi is a true fan :winkytongue:.

(Spare me oh Great WikiGod! Do not curse me with your memery or wikibox abilities! I only jest! I only jest!)

A dead Rhino was spotted, mercilously struck down by a torrent of wikiboxes. It was for the Rhino's insolence in insulting the great wikigod @Gentleman Biaggi that the Rhino find himself dead on the grass. Back to you Tim with an adorable story on kittens!)

OK, I'll keep watching. Not promising not to complain, but I am focused on plausibility. I've already commented that I think it is handing Gore an Idiot Ball to have him actually "doing nothing" about the 9/11 attacks. I've already expressed my opinion he would hardly discount his duty to defend the American people, and I do think suggesting otherwise verges...well, on opinions people have a basic right to have, but not to be respected for having since they ought to be able to defend them by reference to facts and probabilities. Wishing that Gore would literally "sit on his ass" so he's easy pickings for any Republican claiming to be a patriot is like a leftist person like myself wishing George W Bush would commit some heinous immoral and criminal act on live television--it might seem amusing but really, it is not going to be that easy! As I also said, no matter how energetic, carefully planned, and effective Gore's ATL response to those attacks are there will be partisan claims he could have done better, should have done better, did not do good at all because he is UnAmerican and a Commie traitor not to mention gay. And these attacks could be effective. My quarrel is I gather you've asserted that Stevens is not too incorrect to say Gore is not doing much about 9/11 and respectfully, that is just ASB. He'd do something, and quite a lot. Some of it might be the same stuff Bush did, I hope most of it is something better than Bush did, because what Bush did was not all that effective OTL. He might accomplish more with less busywork and side agendas but perhaps suffer for not looking like he is working as hard at it as he could.

I should remind those who were not around as politically listening people in the mid-2000s though that by his second term Bush took to joking about not finding Bin Laden yet, looking under his chair and so forth and saying "I just don't spend that much time at it." In other words, admitting he was doing exactly what Stevens here castigates Gore for doing.

It is just ASB implausible Gore could be reasonably accused of doing nothing. It is all too true to the times if half the country believes he is effectively doing nothing because he is not doing all the quick shoot from the hip reflexive tantrum violence they favored.

So it is not a choice between going smooth and having exciting action I am critical of. It is a choice between people doing what they would reasonably be expected to do by people who understand what makes them tick in OTL, so that any changes are explained by ATL developments changing them, versus having people do unreasonable stuff they would not do in real life. I cannot tell if you honestly think Gore would really be so daft as to be reasonably described as doing little or nothing about the 9/11 attacks, versus your knowing better and painting him into that corner because it suits the storyline. But this makes monkeys and puppets not only of the Gorebot 2000 but also of the people who voted for him.

I think it is absurd that a US Army veteran would blow off national defense; if that is not something that people here can grant is probably true, then perhaps as I said, this is the wrong place for me to attempting to dialog.

It is just ASB implausible Gore could be reasonably accused of doing nothing.

Well everything has just started. He just made on blunder in his initial response. He's gonna start to get tougher in the next update, which will boost up his approval ratings. Oh Stevens' pathway to the white house is not going to be easy.

then perhaps as I said, this is the wrong place for me to attempting to dialog

Oh don't feel that way! I love dialogue! I love to learn other's points of view and perspectives.

Wishing that Gore would literally "sit on his ass" so he's easy pickings for any Republican claiming to be a patriot is like a leftist person like myself wishing George W Bush would commit some heinous immoral and criminal act on live television--

Oh I should have clarified this better. Gore wanted to have his cake and eat it too; he wanted to focus on fighting for the victims of 9/11 and also his grand economic projects, and his response seemed too out of touch. But the Tennessean is not going to surrender! He's going to be bold!

My quarrel is I gather you've asserted that Stevens is not too incorrect to say Gore is not doing much about 9/11 and respectfully, that is just ASB. He'd do something, and quite a lot

Gore made a mistake in his response, which if it worked out would have been two birds with one stone. It did not. He is going to do a lot, and some of the left will attack him for it.

From Steven's point of view he is correct. Now I haven't got into what Gore thinks of the Alaskan. I will soon ;) (hint: not positive opinions).

President Gore will definitely get some love in this TL (I prefer Gore to Bush btw).

I cannot tell if you honestly think Gore would really be so daft as to be reasonably described as doing little or nothing about the 9/11 attacks, versus your knowing better and painting him into that corner because it suits the storyline.

Yeah Gore is not going to be daft. And Stevens' is not going to score a win all the time. He just made one mistake; all ambitious politicians do (hey, in OTL he made the mistake about Clinton not campaigning, why can't he make one mistake here?)

I've already commented that I think it is handing Gore an Idiot Ball to have him actually "doing nothing" about the 9/11 attacks.

Excerpt:

And this is where President Gore's political mission collapsed. Although releasing a speech on Prime Time stating that "America will punish its enemies as it has always done" and promised to "seek justice for the victims of this national tragedy", he tried to keep enough momentum for his economic legacy and other programs. He tried to force domestic issues on the table when the momentum was in the opposite direction. And he gained the ire of many Americans, with a majority (56%) of Americans saying that President Gore "had not done enough to deal with the tragedy of 9/11". Gore had failed to understand the situation, and made a further mistake. He doubled down, stating that "we cannot let the terrorists win by getting our minds off of rebuilding our country."

Personal Analysis:

I don't think this is not doing anything. I think this was just a political miscalculation. And we haven't even finished the year 2001 in the Gore Presidency.

Final Note:

I really do appreciate you taking the time to write down a thoughtful explanation of your view and your interpretation. I'm not the reader, so I have to know what my readers think. This is really helpful, and perhaps I did not communicate what exactly occurred in the best way. I will take note of that in the future.

I don't think I've ever written a utopia ever. My Bryan TL wasn't a dystopia at all but it has WW1 in it (a different WW1) and southern democrats gain more control through a Democratic run nation (so yeah … definitely not utopia). My Boshin War TL is bloodier and longer than the real one, my Ford TL is going to be relatively dystopic (already hints of this), and Iron Eagle is Iron Eagle.

This one is not a utopia, no its definitely not. Unless you like federal corruption to the max! Pork and Barrel politics here we go!!!!!!!!!

Side note: Two of my three replies are in the blue box. Just how it ended up. Sorry if its confusing.

Considering certain developments in our own history, a Ted Stevens presidency sounds quaint by comparison.

Ted Stevens's America may be a utopia as far as Alaskans are concerned, given all the federal money he could send their way with his pork barrel projects. :p

It's still early in the timeline, so perhaps Al Gore could "redeem" himself to the American public with his actions in Afghanistan.

Ted Stevens's America may be a utopia as far as Alaskans are concerned, given all the federal money he could send their way with his pork barrel projects. :p

Haha true true ;).

Yeah this is not a dystopia either, but definitely not a utopia. I hope to make it more of a drama (and some comedy!) if that makes sense. A political thriller.

I also wanted to make this TL due to the fact that as you point out @Herman Gigglethorpe, there are not a lot of Ted Stevens’ TL, much less where he becomes President. So this TL also should be unique and fresh. At least that is the goal ;).

Considering certain developments in our own history, a Ted Stevens presidency sounds quaint by comparison.

Are we referring to a certain political figure from Queens by any chance ;)?