Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

Hi @Lascaris, sorry to disturb you by I have several questions about TTL naval war:
Ligurian sea, June 14th, 1940

Three French heavy cruisers and 11 destroyers opened up against targets on the Italian coast around Genoa before being unsuccessfully engaged by Italian coastal forces, while the Force De Raid was providing distant cover to the bombarding force. Despite reluctance on the part of admiral Cavagnari, the Italian navy's commander the newly completed Littorio and Vittorio Veneto were ordered out of La Spezia to try to intercept the French fleet. The Italian navy with 4 active battleships was severely outnumbered by the French and British who had nine, thus particularly reluctant to engage its more numerous enemy. But Mussolini needed a fight. If the army could not provide him with a good enough fight then the navy should, after all Littorio and Vittorio Veneto had been loudly proclaimed the strongest ships in the world, surely they could deal with older or smaller French ships? Otherwise what was the point on the huge amounts spent on the navy if France, on the brink of disaster could be bombarding the Italian coast as will?

The Italians fail to catch up with the raiding force, but do catch up with the Force de Raid. Or admiral Gensoul, with four battleships at hand and confident from the earlier sinking of the Deutschland, takes his chances and accepts battle with the Italians, Gensoul in the aftermath of the battle will keep silent to the end of his days. Either way things quickly turn sour for the French as Provence, suffers a catastrophic explosion and sinks with over a thousand sailors killed. Dunkerque hit by four 16in shells is severely damaged but survives. Strasbourg under captain Collinet, will successfully cover the retiring Dunkerque, while the Italians with Littorio having suffered some damage from 330mm fire will not press home the attack saving the French from war. The Fore de Raid retires to Toulon...
Why are battleships Littorio and Vittorio Veneto not in Taranto? If both ships were completed in December 1939 then going by OTL timetable would have been declared fully operational by May 1940 and then be assigned to the first battleship division based in Taranto. Vittorio Veneto was not even built in Genoa but near Trieste.
Taranto, November 13th, 1940

The British had waited for a week, for the possibility of the Regia Marina coming out to give battle following the start of the war with Greece and the invasion of the Dodecanese. The Italian navy had instead quietly stuck in port, it's battleships and heavy cruisers at least. If the Italians were not coming out then perhaps the Royal Navy could come visiting. A couple of flares illuminated the harbour as the Swordfish of Illustrious and Eagle attacked. By the time the attack was over out of the five Italian battleships in the harbour Duilo, Cavour and Cesare were sunk or sinking.
Why were both Littorio class battleships left undamaged if there are more aircraft than in OTL?
Why is Andrea Doria not in port like in OTL?

Last edited:
Hi @Lascaris, sorry to disturb you by I have several questions about TTL naval war:
No disturbing at all. If a TL is not generating discussion what's the point?
Why are battleships Littorio and Vittorio Veneto not in Taranto? If both ships were completed in December 1939 then going by OTL timetable would have been declared fully operational by May 1940 and then be assigned to the first battleship division based in Taranto.
Due to political reasons both the alt-Littorio and Vittorio Veneto were laid down and completed about 7 months ahead of OTL, so as you say should be fully operational at the start of the war. If fully operational where would be the most likely place to employ them? If the 4 older battleships have been left mostly unchanged then at the start of the war you have Duilio refitting in La Spezia, Cavour and Cesare in Taranto and Doria refitting at Trieste. There is a case to be made to have them at Taranto has concentrating all available battleships in a single force. On the other hand what are enemy force dispositions at the time of which I expect the Supermarina has pretty good intelligence? You have 4 French battleships in the west, including Dunqerkue and Strasbourg. Three RN ships in Alexandria with one more in drydock. And Lorraine is in Constantinople.

So I decided that the Supermarina with two more battleships over OTL and in view of looming operations against France placed the Littorios west, particularly with political pressure from on high also at play. Could had been the wrong decision. But it did work out pretty well, as the Marina did score a pretty big victory against the French.

I'll add an entirely OOC reason, I'm not impressed at the Regia Marina and the Italian common soldier in general being underrated, particularly when compared with the Germans and Japanese. So if a treated is to a moment or two in the limelight, in a plausible way... well I did.

Why were both Littorio class battleships left undamaged if there are more aircraft than in OTL?
Are there more aircraft? I did not write anything about the actual number of aircraft involved in the attack. :angel: As it happens in OTL the Swordfish of Eagle had been transferred to Illustrious for the attack in OTL.

Why is Andrea Doria not in port like in OTL?
Why is should be? Our point of divergence has been in late 1920. 20 years have passed by the time of the POD and Italy has been affected in various small and less small ways since the time of the POD. arguably it has been one of the places outside Greece and Turkey most affected by the changes given its proximity and involvement with both countries. The general outline of history may not have been altered much but various smaller or bigger butterflies are not just inevitable, arguably they must be there if you want things to be plausible.

Alright I love this update. For those who are not familiar with modern greek history this is a list with almost every significant personality of the 1940s and later decades. I have so many comments to make but I will restrict myself :D
Feel free to. As already said if there is no discussion what's the point of writing a TL?

Christophilos having a career in Greece will have very interesting butterflies.
Leaving aside Christophilos being a fellow electrical engineer he was a very talented man. With Greece fighting on I really doubt he'd be left making elevators. After all before its fall in OTL Greece DID have a reasonably good experimental radar operating and the navy had even tested a guided rocket. Though given the reported method of guidance for the latter I very much doubt anything at all could had come out of it (points for the originality of the method though)

Well, he was a born raider and a thug. Being behind enemy lines in Macedonia raising havoc is the best use of his talents.
Gyparis had his loyalties ad abilities...
Good news for Cyprus!
I can't possibly comment...
A good wartime record will help him in his future political career.
Sofoklis has no children. In a country where family connections DO play a role he is the natural successor to the Venizelist leadership. Particularly when no matter his other faults he was a very capable man.
I have never seen a photo of Christina Rasia. Was she blonde? I bet she was blonde.

Without being the author I know how this will turn out. Andreas will leave Christina for a younger blonde. Then he will leave the latter for an even younger blonde.
If she was she was probably dark blond. I must note of course that Vaso Papandreou was not blonde.

1641658803848.png

Excellent! Is John Agorastos Platis flyging for the RAF ?
No comment till he shows up if he shows up. :p

Leaving aside Christophilos being a fellow electrical engineer he was a very talented man. With Greece fighting on I really doubt he'd be left making elevators. After all before its fall in OTL Greece DID have a reasonably good experimental radar operating and the navy had even tested a guided rocket. Though given the reported method of guidance for the latter I very much doubt anything at all could had come out of it (points for the originality of the method though)
Seeing this makes me wonder if Greece could see some sort of a tech/economic 'boom' post war, since the Greek economy is liable to look a good bit better than otl a lot faster. Right now it's poised to be one of the only countries in Europe barring Switzerland, Sweden, Ireland, and the UK to avoid being completely occupied/looted/bombed to hell by the Axis. Athens's industry should be more or less intact and Smyrna, while it would probably be a little rough after a few years of siege, should also be pretty intact. Even if they've got the northern half of the country to rebuild that's still better than most of Europe from Spain to Russia.

Seeing this makes me wonder if Greece could see some sort of a tech/economic 'boom' post war, since the Greek economy is liable to look a good bit better than otl a lot faster. Right now it's poised to be one of the only countries in Europe barring Switzerland, Sweden, Ireland, and the UK to avoid being completely occupied/looted/bombed to hell by the Axis. Athens's industry should be more or less intact and Smyrna, while it would probably be a little rough after a few years of siege, should also be pretty intact. Even if they've got the northern half of the country to rebuild that's still better than most of Europe from Spain to Russia.
They'll have an easier time than anyone else (Smyrna shouldn't be bombed to bits) while everyone else in their vicinity (other than the USSR) won't be able to contest them in them in their playground (UK + US+ France would have goodish relations at least) so Greece will quickly become more and more powerful even if Yugoslavia manages to survive (which I hope they do) as they dominate the Middle East and the East Med through Cyprus.

I wonder, if Romannia flips sides in the war - could you see units of the free Polish army in Greece pushing up into Galicia and liberating parts of the southern Poland? That would have some big butterfly potential for the government and borders of Poland.

I wonder, if Romania flips sides in the war - could you see units of the free Polish army in Greece pushing up into Galicia and liberating parts of the southern Poland? That would have some big butterfly potential for the government and borders of Poland.
Free Poland as Galicia and more of Germany being free (+ Austria being part of Germany) would be fun. Also wpuld Bulgaria be part of USSR ittl?

Free Poland as Galicia and more of Germany being free (+ Austria being part of Germany) would be fun. Also would Bulgaria be part of USSR ittl?
IMAO this is a bit too much. I can however see something like this: Austria, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Czechia, and Albania in NATO. Hungary and Romania as neutral states. Slovakia, Poland (maybe with a large-scale insurgency at the start of the Soviet occupation of the country that is then brutally repressed), and a smaller East Germany running along the Elbe and stopping at Schleswig-Holstein but retaining Silesia south of the Oder and Stettin in the Warsaw Pact. West Germany retains instead Thuringia and western Saxony.

Last edited:
IMAO this is a bit too much. I can however see something like this: Austria, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Czechia, and Albania in NATO. Hungary and Romania as neutral states. Slovakia, Poland (maybe with a large-scale insurgency at the start of the Soviet occupation of the country that is then brutally repressed), and a smaller East Germany running along the Elbe and stopping at Schleswig-Holstein but retaining Silesia south of the Oder and Stettin in the Warsaw Pact. West Germany retains instead Thuringia and western Saxony.
In such a case I can also easily see the soviet directly annexing Finland after refusing to sign their surrender proposal in 1944

Poor Pomeranian Germans, you'll always get fucked in (basically) alt WWII tls. I hope the US and co. hold Pomerania because it really shouldn't have been depopulated by the USSR. Prussia I can understand but Pomerania had been German for a long time.

PS: I do think Austria should be part of Germany though. Maybe the Austrians never revolt ittl?

Last edited:
Poor Pomeranian Germans, you'll always get fucked in (basically) alt WWII tls. I hope the US and co. hold Pomerania because it really shouldn't have been depopulated by the USSR. Prussia I can understand but Pomerania had been German for a long time.

PS: I do think Austria should be part of Germany though. Maybe the Austrians never revolt ittl?
Why would either the Allies or the Soviets let the Germans keep Austria,the First Nazi Conquest?

We like Germany so much three of them are not enough. Lets have an independent Bavaria as well. Just saying! :openedeyewink:

Maybe Operation Valkyrie takes place later than in OTL and after being nominated President of the new government Field Marshal Erwin Rommel accept unconditional surrender to allies in exchange for the 1937 borders. East Prussia and Danzig become the Soviet occupation zone. The Americans occupy the lion’s share of the country, namely the remainder of Prussia, Saxony, and the other north German states. The British occupy Bavaria and Austria while the French occupation zone consist of Baden, Württemberg, the Palatinate, the Saar region, and Hesse-Darmstadt.

Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Czechia, and Albania join NATO. Warsaw Pact consists of Poland, German Democratic Republic (East Prussia), Finland, Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania.

Then a communist uprising happens in Austria and after the Allies express their doubts about whether Austria would remain pro-Western given that it had two communist neighbors they allow a second referendum on the Anschluss

Last edited:
We like Germany so much three of them are not enough. Lets have an independent Bavaria as well. Just saying! :openedeyewink:
As stated by the former Italian prime minister Giulio Andreotti shortly after OTL Reunification: "I love Germany so much that I preferred when there were two."

Last edited:
I would caution against seeing the Iron Curtain further to the East than OTL.
The war in the East is going somewhat worse than OTL for the Germans already. Soviet strategic blunders such as the Kiev encirclement may not happen TTL either, which could see the Germans in the East decisively defeated in 1941 as opposed to 1942. All bets are off if something like this happens and we could even find the Iron Curtain further to the West than OTL.
A lot can happen between now and 1945.