Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

Part 84
Thessaly, September 18th, 1941

The allied offensive in Thessaly came to a halt. Four weeks of fighting had failed to make any notable gains and had cost the Greeks, Poles, French, Serbs and New Zealanders over 8,000 casualties. What they had accomplished was to pine down the Italians and Bulgarians keeping them from transferring troops either to Epirus or Anatolia. And the Italian and Bulgarian casualties had been actually heavier, not least thanks to heavy artillery provisioned under Lend Lease. The US army had been loath to part with modern guns beyond an initial delivery of 60 155mm guns and 75 mountain guns. It it had been rather more willing to part with over 900 75, 155 and 203mm pieces dating back to the previous world war and a steady flow of them was reaching the allied forces in the Near East with every new convoy. The old guns might be less advanced that the newer US designs or the trickle of modern Czech and French designed 105mm pieces coming out of the factories in Athens but perfectly serviceable and no different than the guns the Allied forces, British excepted, were already using. After all many of them had start life as French military aid the the US a generation before...

Smyrna, September 19th, 1941

One more bombing raid by 200 German and Turkish aircraft hit the city. Many of the bombs hit the harbour which was apparently the target. Even more bombs hit the housing districts near the harbour. Ships bringing munitions and supplies continued offloading as the bombs fell and Greek fighters from airstrips in Chios and within the fortified zone battled the raiders. But but even as he city was being bombed, relative quiet reigned over the siege lines. After 5 weeks of fighting the second assault on Smyrna had come to a halt...

Kiev, September 19th, 1941

The city fell to the German army, even though operations to mop up the last Soviet units caught in the gigantic pocket created by the German armies would continue for one more week. It had been a massive failure for Soviet arms, with the Soviets losing over 535,000 men. Semyon Budyonny in overall command of Soviet forces in the south, had already been replaced a week earlier by Semyon Timoshenko and would never again command Soviet forces in combat following the debacle. Mikhail Kirponos the head of the South Western front would barely escape capture, as he led a breakout of part of his troops from the German encirclement.

Spain September 20th, 1941

Toledo fell to the troops of general Yague. Nearly 3 months since the Falangist coup, Spain was roughly evenly split, with the north including the passes to German occupied France under control of the rebels and the south as well as the Spanish colonies under the control of the Loyalists. Neither the Germans not the British had been able to provide much beyond some tacit support but even that had been enough to secure the areas near the French border to the rebels and the handful of Spanish overseas territories to the Loyalists.

Baghdad, September 22nd, 1941

Emir Abdullah entered the royal palace accompanied by his nephew prince Abd al-Ilah and the former prime minister Nuri al-Said, both men had fled to his court after Gazi's coup had installed the pro-Axis government back in April. Over the previous week Arab Legion and British troops had systematically cleared out the last points of resistance within Baghdad and the emir had staged a triumphant entry to the "liberated" city afterwards, the legion was making certain things were kept in order and conveniently the British were out of the city pushing the Turks and Germans north towards Samara and Tikrit leaving only his men visible in the city. Now it was time to make his next moves. The British had made many promises. It was not necessary that they would remember them unless they were forced to follow through with them...

Odessa, September 26th, 1941

The Romanian army entered the city, or what remained of it between Romanian and German bombardments and Soviet demolitions. The previous night the Soviet navy had evacuated the last defenders with the Romanian and Turkish fleets in the Black sea failing to interfere. It was a victory for Romania but a costly one, seven weeks of siege and three major assaults had cost the Romanians over 67,000 thousand men. for slightly over half as many Soviet casualties.

Serres, Greece, September 27th, 1941

The uprising had been mostly spontaneous, brought by the harsh conditions of the Bulgarian occupation. It had pread though like wildfire across the Serres and Drama districts, with fighters of the nascent People's Liberation Army and the National Liberation Organization joining the fight and the attacks on the Bulgarian occupiers. But enthusiasm alone did not suffice to make the uprising succeed, free Greece was in no position to help much beyond airdropping some arms, the partisan organizations still in their infancy had not managed to mobilize more that a couple thousand men and the Bulgarians had quickly responded by bringing in several thousand men with artillery and air support and indiscriminately attacking rebels and civilians alike, in the villages of Doxato and Choristi alone nearly 500 men would be executed by Bulgarian troops, the second time since 1913 that Doxato was subject to a Bulgarian massacre. By the end of the month the uprising was over.

Rayack, Lebanon, October 3rd, 1941

Two dozen Mustang fighters were delivered to Groupe de chasse I/7, the first of the new American fighters to reach the Near East. The RAF would have very much preferred the aircraft to have gone to its own units in Britain where the first Mustang deliveries had start taking place instead of the French. But the order for 700 Mustang I was in part being financed by French gold, the Americans pretending they did not notice the source of it given official US non-recognition of Fighting France, and the French were not paying for the planes to go to Britain, while they got British cast-offs...

Last edited:
Eastern Front grinds like OTL, though Mikhail Kirponos's survival might cause some butterflies. In Greece, the stalemate holds, which is honestly a win. Smyrna seems to be holding which is what is important. The Axis Iraqi offensive seems to collapsing which is to be expected. Free French getting some Mustangs in Lebanon should help repel the Axis on the Syrian front. Overall, slightly positive for the Allies. Can't wait to see what's next!

Well we expected the first allied offensive in Thessaly to mostly be an operation to pin down Bulgarian and Italian soldiers and we were proven to be correct, although this shows that the Italians and Bulgarians can't move further into Greece which should be deeply worrying to the Bulgarian and Italian leadership since they basically made their bed with Germany and operation Barbarossa and will have to lie in it.

The uprising in Serres which is still quite small at the moment would most likely be the first of many uprisings that when the WAllies are prepared will kick the Axis out of the Balkans. I think ittl the Bulgarians will be the biggest loser in the Balkans as they'll be liable to lose the most land in the Balkans.

Smyrna surviving is very important as Anatolia is still not lost to the Turks. That'll be very good for the WAllies as that prevents the Turks from focusing on the other fronts but I'd like to see how operation Blue occurs with the Turks being a solid part of the Germans. Would the Turks be good at distracting the Soviets?

but I'd like to see how operation Blue occurs with the Turks being a solid part of the Germans. Would the Turks be good at distracting the Soviets?
Given that the Soviets are knocking on the gates of Ezerurum and Trabzon, the losses Turkey suffered in Syria and Iraq, the potential WAlly counteroffensive into Turkey, the Smyrna front and the need to occupy Western Anatolia/Istanbul, my guess is probably not very good. The Turks have a lot of men, but fewer resources, and some rather large and manpower-intensive requirements. I could see them maybe, if they're really lucky, pushing back to Kars but I don't think that would change the fate of the Eastern Front imo. The failure of Case Blue had to do more with logistical constraints and the splitting of Army Group South into A and B, neither of which I can see the Turks substantially affecting. Still I could be very wrong, and we'll just have to wait and see.

he old guns might be less advanced that the newer US designs or the trickle of modern Czech and French designed 105mm pieces coming out of the factories in Athens but perfectly serviceable and no different than the guns the Allied forces, British excepted, were already using. After all many of them had start life as French military aid the the US a generation before...
And well, in many cases as old as the ones the Italians use...

To be honest, I think the Greeks may get a few more 75mm pack howitzers. The Lend-Lease deliveries to the British were 826 guns and they don't need that many mountain guns. However, I couldn't find when they were delivered to the British...

After 5 weeks of fighting the second assault on Smyrna had come to a halt...
With each passing month Smyrna will become stronger. Being a big and modern port, after the siege is broken (whenever it takes place) it can provide the infrastructure for a drive to the Straits.

It had been a massive failure for Soviet arms, with the Soviets losing over 535,000 men. Semyon Budyonny in overall command of Soviet forces in the south, had already been replaced a week earlier by Semyon Timoshenko and would never again command Soviet forces in combat following the debacle. Mikhail Kirponos the head of the South Western front would barely escape capture, as he led a breakout of part of his troops from the German encirclement.
So, overall better than OTL Kiev. 165k men live to fight another day.

, the legion was making certain things were kept in order and conveniently the British were out of the city pushing the Turks and Germans north towards Samara and Tikrit leaving only his men visible in the city. Now it was time to make his next moves. The British had made many promises. It was not necessary that they would remember them unless they were forced to follow through with them...
I wanted to ask in TTL with more tensions with Turkey, if the Assyrian Rifles were of the same strength as in OTL or stronger.

I am pretty sure the British will have made all sorts of promises to Arabs, Kurds, Assyrians and perhaps even Iranians. The post-war situation will be delicate and interesting.

The Romanian army entered the city, or what remained of it between Romanian and German bombardments and Soviet demolitions. The previous night the Soviet navy had evacuated the last defenders with the Romanian and Turkish fleets in the Black sea failing to interfere. It was a victory for Romania but a costly one, seven weeks of siege and three major assaults had cost the Romanians over 67,000 thousand men. for slightly over half as many Soviet casualties.
So the Battle of Odessa ends up sooner, with the Romanians having fewer casualties (67k instead of 92k) and the Soviets having more casualties (100k instead of 60k). I wonder what changed and the Romanians have done so much better, especially since they lost a significant part of their equipment in the 1940 war over Bessarabia. Is it fair to assume that the Germans provided a lot of material to the Romanians?

In that case, it will be less material available (french and polish mostly) for the Turkish Army.

Two dozen Mustang fighters were delivers to Groupe de chasse I/7,
That's great news. The Fighting French will have a very modern fighter. Perhaps, it will force the RAF to send Spitfires to the theatre as well. The Greeks and the French have more modern fighters than the British after all.

We can only hope...

Well we expected the first allied offensive in Thessaly to mostly be an operation to pin down Bulgarian and Italian soldiers and we were proven to be correct, although this shows that the Italians and Bulgarians can't move further into Greece which should be deeply worrying to the Bulgarian and Italian leadership since they basically made their bed with Germany and operation Barbarossa and will have to lie in it.
I would dare say they are fixed now. Any reserves they have will have to cover a great deal of shoreline so as not to get flanked by amphibious landings.

The uprising in Serres which is still quite small at the moment would most likely be the first of many uprisings that when the WAllies are prepared will kick the Axis out of the Balkans. I think ittl the Bulgarians will be the biggest loser in the Balkans as they'll be liable to lose the most land in the Balkans.
I think the Greeks might annex the south bank of Arda River.

The Bulgarians in OTL effectively got tacit Soviet support against both the Greeks and the Yugoslavs, all the way to such extremes like claims of some of the Soviet representatives in the Paris peace conference that Greek Thrace should go to Bulgaria. TTL they do not necessarily get so lucky...
Smyrna surviving is very important as Anatolia is still not lost to the Turks. That'll be very good for the WAllies as that prevents the Turks from focusing on the other fronts but I'd like to see how operation Blue occurs with the Turks being a solid part of the Germans. Would the Turks be good at distracting the Soviets?
The Turkish rail network can support about 3,000t a day. That presents certain operational constraints...

Also, just out of curiosity, is French Indochina held by Vichy or by Free France?
Vichy. Free France has done a lot better TTL in the Mediterranean and got pretty lucky at Mers El Kebir but still the bigger part of the colonial empire population wise is Vichyite.

And well, in many cases as old as the ones the Italians use...
Nothing wrong with the heavy artillery the French were producing by 1918 compared to 1940 stuff. Ok lacking some of the bells and whistles but still...

To be honest, I think the Greeks may get a few more 75mm pack howitzers. The Lend-Lease deliveries to the British were 826 guns and they don't need that many mountain guns. However, I couldn't find when they were delivered to the British...
Still in 1941 with the Mediterranean closed to direct shipping. After you subtract the needs to keep free Greece from starving, dying from lack of fuel and the vital industries working you are left with sufficient shipping to bring about 500t of supplies per day compared to OTL. Since the Middle East was receiving about 5,000t a day a reasonable rule of thumb is that material deliveries are about 10% higher than OTL.

With each passing month Smyrna will become stronger. Being a big and modern port, after the siege is broken (whenever it takes place) it can provide the infrastructure for a drive to the Straits.
The Turks have an obvious incentive to eliminate it...
So, overall better than OTL Kiev. 165k men live to fight another day.
The Germans start Barbarossa with what amounted to one panzer division less in the south thanks to casualties in the Balkans. This was going to have effects...

I wanted to ask in TTL with more tensions with Turkey, if the Assyrian Rifles were of the same strength as in OTL or stronger.
Before the start of the war no. Why you had the whole Iraqi army on your side. We can't alienate our puppet monarch by arming up Assyrians. What do you mean our puppet monarch turned himself to a German puppet monarch?
I am pretty sure the British will have made all sorts of promises to Arabs, Kurds, Assyrians and perhaps even Iranians. The post-war situation will be delicate and interesting.
And the Greeks (including Cypriots), and the Jews, and even the Turks and the Bulgarians. Now of course some of these promises may be conflicting with some others but that's minutiae.
So the Battle of Odessa ends up sooner, with the Romanians having fewer casualties (67k instead of 92k) and the Soviets having more casualties (100k instead of 60k). I wonder what changed and the Romanians have done so much better, especially since they lost a significant part of their equipment in the 1940 war over Bessarabia. Is it fair to assume that the Germans provided a lot of material to the Romanians?
On the upside the Romanians had taken nearly 82,000 casualties in summer 1940. On the downside the Soviets had taken nearly 53,000 casualties and 250 tanks in summer 1940. On the third hand the Romanians could mobilize 1.2 million men in 1940 and during Barbarossa used less than a third as many in Bessarabia and Odessa. End result the Soviet forces in Odessa are relatively weaker than OTL, about 76,000 compared to the 86,000 committed in OTL.

In that case, it will be less material available (french and polish mostly) for the Turkish Army.
French and Polish material... in OTL the Germans delivered 617 artillery pieces to the Bulgarians including 232 modern leFH18 howitzers. At the same time they delivered to Romania 312 artillery pieces, 60 of it modern. To add to the fun the Bulgarians were given 109 heavy pieces including 220mm guns and the Romanians not a single one above 105mm. Which does give you a bit of a WTF moment. Before we even go to how much of the captured French/Belgian/Polish/et all was apparently left unused/underused.

That's great news. The Fighting French will have a very modern fighter. Perhaps, it will force the RAF to send Spitfires to the theatre as well. The Greeks and the French have more modern fighters than the British after all.

We can only hope...
Either way the French are conveniently sitting upon a mountain of gold. This has uses in getting stuff their way, influence included... and I short of doubt De Gaulle would be shy to take advantage.
I would dare say they are fixed now. Any reserves they have will have to cover a great deal of shoreline so as not to get flanked by amphibious landings.
Arguably it would make a fair bit of sense from the Axis point of view to pull back to the Olympus passes. Unless they can knock out Greece of course. Which if the Germans shifted enough forces from Russia they very likely could. But Russia will be falling soon surely at which point the Mediterranean can be dealt with? :angel:

I think the Greeks might annex the south bank of Arda River.
They'd certainly want to. Although that does posit also questions of the population of the area, which was mostly Muslim.
Half as many means only 50% of Romanian casualties so only ~35k Soviet casualties which is less than OTL.
I'm modelling battle results using Lanchester's laws for the most part, based on OTL results. Smaller Soviet force, so would be forced to evacuate earlier and inflict relatively fewer casualties...

On the British promises to the jews i think that the Israelis could be more successful in otl because a)the British have formed more Jewish units and b) the fighting age male jews in greece for the most part in southern greece and now in Thessaloniki maybe after the war if they find their communities destroyed they might opt to migrate to Israel that several trained and battle harden thousand men that the IDF could use...not to mention officers aswell( is Mordechai Frizis still alive?)

Vichy. Free France has done a lot better TTL in the Mediterranean and got pretty lucky at Mers El Kebir but still the bigger part of the colonial empire population wise is Vichyite.
Just for curiosity sake, was there any chance that ITTL the British would still have bombed the French fleet at Mers El Kebir just like in OTL? If yes, would have we seen a Vichy/Free French split more like OTL or what?

Just for curiosity sake, was there any chance that ITTL the British would still have bombed the French fleet at Mers El Kebir just like in OTL? If yes, would have we seen a Vichy/Free French split more like OTL or what?
French units in Constantinople were highly likely to swing Free French, being surrounded by larger Polish and British forces and containing large number of Armenians, besides the proximity to Greece. French Syria less so but again given the composition of the army much more likely than OTL. Mers El Kebir was much more of a toss and dependent on the men in command. If Gensoul had not been defeated by the Italians off Liguria and was the man on the spot...

This might be a large leap, but I'd imagine that after ww2 Constantinople and Greece at large are going to be a hotspot of secret agencies. Greece is probably going to have effective counter espionage.
And it's going to be awesome for popculture.
I can easily imagine Constantinople to be the host of massive amounts of espionage and action movies.

This might be a large leap, but I'd imagine that after ww2 Constantinople and Greece at large are going to be a hotspot of secret agencies. Greece is probably going to have effective counter espionage.
I can easily imagine Constantinople to be the host of massive amounts of espionage and action movies.
Greece would most likely be training it's secret service at a similar time as Israel, and I'd see the two allies' secret agencies working together in the middle East. I'd see them helping Israel establish their secret service (or vice versa) and I'd see action movies detailing the Israel-Arab wars with the secret services being the focus and see the agents actually get into urban warfare scenarios which would be very cool and something that's not seen in otl spy movies.

Now, I'm imagining an possible TTL version of the famous lines: ''Play it again, Sam'' but with the background of the Bosporus and set in the Axis occupied Constantinople rather than Vichy Casablanca, as IOTL...

Part 85
Eleusis, October 5th, 1941

The destroyer Kanaris, joined the Hellenic Navy. At 1,705t standard displacement, Kanaris was the lead ship of its class and once more derived from a British design, its only difference from the Royal Navy's J class was in its use of American 5/38 guns as British weapons had been unavailable. A second ship, Kriezis, was about ready and more Sachtouris and Apostolis would be launched in November, it should take at least one more year after that before they were ready. It was an important addition but hardly enough to replace the casualties suffered, half a dozen destroyers had been lost so far. Britain had promised to transfer ships from her own yards but it would not be till some time in 1942 till the first ships might be delivered. And how many more ships would be lost in the meantime?

Iraq, October 7th, 1941

Samara fell to the advancing British and French forces. One more Turkish division had been moved to the front, casualties had been high enough to "solve" Axis supply problems but this was merely delaying the allied advance. Somewhat at least, it would take general Quinan one more week to reach Tikrit. The British had begun their offensive with over 300 tanks, the ground was generally flat and among the Axis forces the Turks were deficient in anti-tank guns and the Iraqis nearly completely lacking them. What the Turks lacked in guns they tried to compensate in dogged determination, more than a few British tanks had died to petrol bombs and satchel charges. But this also meant that the Turkish army was exchanging blood for machines...

Baghdad, October 9th, 1941

The Iraqi senate, or its members that had not followed the Turks and the Germans north anyway voted for the forced abdication of king Gazi from the throne of Iraq. The question was who would succeed him to the throne. His cousin Abd Al-Ilah manoeuvred to have himself proclaimed king. But so did emir Abdullah and unlike his nephew Abdullah had an army of his own on his back...

Washington DC, October 11th, 1941

Lord Halifax shook hands with Mohammad Mossadegh, in front of president Roosevelt as the photographers, made certain the moment was immortalized. It had taken nearly too months of hard negotiations but finally Britain and Iran had come to an agreement. Profits of the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company would be shared 50-50 between Britain and Iran with Iranian auditors in the company to ensure no foul games were played over the actual profits. In exchange Iran would allow the transport of supplies through its territory to the Soviet Union, effective immediately. It wasn't a deal London was particularly happy over. But between US pressure and the war needs, Britain had had to compromise. After all if Britain was willing to negotiate away North Ireland for Irish support, what was a small share of colonial profits by comparison?

Near Mosul, October 14th, 1941

The feldwebel looked at the red-white tricolour raised over the church of the village in some confusion. What the hell was the flag of Austria doing in the middle of nowhere? Before he could notice the three stars in the upper left side, he dropped dead from a Lebel round between the eyes, just as more rifles and what appeared to be a Chauchat light machine gun opened up. Ideally the Assyrians would had preferred to wait out for the British army to reach closer to their territory before an uprising. But the recent news from Baghdad on top Turkish and Iraqi army depredations against Assyrian civilians had forced their hand. If a new British backed king took over Iraq, chances of the British accepting Assyrian independence or at least autonomy within Iraq would become at the very least problematic. Unless there was a free Assyria already on the ground. French BCRA agents had conveniently provided the Assyrians both intelligence of the British intentions in advance and arms from French depots in Syria, without a continuous front it was hardly difficult for mules and camels carrying arms to slip from Syria to Iraq. And if the French agents had inflated things a bit, why if British agents could have contacts with Syrian nationalists, this was a game more could play. For the good of the Allied cause of course...

1645280462724.png

Flag of Assyria

West of Moscow, October 18th, 1941

The first reinforcements from Siberia start unloading from the trains. Did the STAVKA have information that the Japanese were not going to attack? Was it just the desperate situation Soviet armies were faced with? No-one could be entirely certain. The Soviet situation was after all desperate, another 9 armies with 660,000 men had been encircled at Vyazma a week earlier and despite delays from rains turning roads to mud and heavy snow the previous days the Germans kept advancing. And it was not clear to outside observers what was going on in Japan, prince Konoye had just been replaced by genera; Tojo as prime minister but what did it mean for Japanese policy?

Kirkuk, October 25th 1941

The British advance finally came to a halt some 25 km south of Kirkuk. Despite the overall British success neither Churchill nor sir Alan Brooke were entirely happy with general Quinan, with the offensive over he was being promoted away, to command the North-Western army in India, where it was unlikely he would be getting into combat any time soon, while general Willian Slim to commander of the Indian 10th division, who had proven particularly successful during the offensive would take over command of the British forces in Iraq. Meanwhile the Germans and Turks now finally catching their breath had other plans. If Iran was letting British and American supplies through its territory to the Soviet Union, then it was making itself a legitimate target. Ju-88s, He-111s and Bf-110s start taking off for Abadan...

a united Iraq and Jordan under Abdullah and his descendants will have interesting ramifications especially in the Arab-Israeli wars as well as an independent Assyria.
by the way, nice Assyrian flag, would mind explaining what it means?

Last edited:
Despite the overall British success neither Churchill nor sir Alan Brooke were entirely happy with general Quinan, with the offensive over he was being promoted away, to command the North-Western army in India, where it was unlikely he would be getting into combat any time soon
Well not combat against the Axis, but there was rarely a dull moment on the North West Frontier