Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

There are none I'm Greece (exchange) . With the exception of the Caucasus why would the be any ethnic cleansing? They are not collaborators or actively involved in the fighting from what I see.
Knowing Stalin he’s going to get so paranoid of any Turks in the Caucasus that he’ll expel him. Not the first time he’s ethnically cleansed people out of paranoia.
For the same reasons every German east of the Oder-Neisse line was killed or expelled to East Germany following WWII. The Soviets have 0 trust in them being good little comrades because of the war. Or at least that's the case in the places the Soviets have a presence post war. Places like the Levant and Egypt probably don't see expulsions, while Cyprus and Bulgaria (assuming the Allies take it before the Soviets get there) probably see a much more gentle hand than Stalin pushing them to go "join their brethren".
In OTL Jews had to leave French and British controlled colonies after dealing with persecution after the establishment of Israel. I can see furious locals taking matters into their own hands regardless of what the Allies will do.

Last edited:
Knowing Stalin he’s going to get so paranoid of any Turks in the Caucasus that he’ll expel him. Not the first time he’s ethnically cleansed people out of paranoia.
Well, depending on what would be the advancing Soviet army's behavior towards the civil population in the taken/occupied territories, it could happen that, like happened IOTL, that the expelling would happen as a matter of fact, by the fleeing populations seeking to escape from the incoming Soviet armies...

Last edited:
Well, depending on what would be the advancing Soviet army's behavior towards the civil population in the taken/occupied territories, it could happen that, like happened IOTL, that the expelling would happen as a matter of fact, by the fleeing populations seeking to escape from the incoming Soviet armies...
Also assuming Stalin has plans to establish an expanded Armenia like he considered in OTL a lot of people are going to be displaced for sure.

The one silver lining I see in this timeline is that the Armenian Genocide might finally get more recognition worldwide. That and the genocides of other Christian ethnicities by the Ottomans and later Turks.

Amazing development about Thessaloniki!!!
Appart from its impact on the Balkan theatre (and it will be major), it also has a long-term effect.
Greece so far has been established as a cornerstone of the defence of democracy (or at least the West). But what is now happening at Thessaloniki upgrades Greece to a power capable of composite medium-to-large-scale operations, which will be so important during the Cold War. Therefore Greece appears capable of supporting and even undertaking security operations in the whole region (if not further).
What is there to find out now is wheather the TTL UN Security Council will have the form of OTL, or there is room for a couple of regional powers with an ability to project power and of proven commitment to stability...

Something I thought about: if there's going to be an Assyrian state established, how will it look like? There's definitely a lot of Kurds living in that Assyrian homeland (assuming it's the Assyrian triangle) and if the Allies decide to go for an Assyrian state then the only result I'm expecting is a nasty conflict over it like the 1948 Nakba.

Something I thought about: if there's going to be an Assyrian state established, how will it look like? There's definitely a lot of Kurds living in that Assyrian homeland (assuming it's the Assyrian triangle) and if the Allies decide to go for an Assyrian state then the only result I'm expecting is a nasty conflict over it like the 1948 Nakba.
I think independence is hard but some kind of autonomy is possible. A lot will depend on the question of Mosul and soviet gains in Anatolia and how the UK bargains in reaction to them.

I think independence is hard but some kind of autonomy is possible. A lot will depend on the question of Mosul and soviet gains in Anatolia and how the UK bargains in reaction to them.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Soviets establish an independent Kurdish state which will absolutely force the UK's hand in the matter. And honestly an autonomous Assyrian area is much more likely only because I don't think a landlocked Assyrian state will be viable unlike Israel even if the Assyrians are just as armed to the teeth.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Soviets establish an independent Kurdish state which will absolutely force the UK's hand in the matter. And honestly an autonomous Assyrian area is much more likely only because I don't think a landlocked Assyrian state will be viable unlike Israel even if the Assyrians are just as armed to the teeth.
The problem with this is that most Kurdish majority regions are under attack or occupied by the Wallies. The Soviets are far from them

The problem with this is that most Kurdish majority regions are under attack or occupied by the Wallies. The Soviets are far from them
If I recall they're mostly those close to the Iraqi border. Maybe Stalin supports Kurdish rebels as a way to get through Turkey faster. And that can cause an incredible WTF moment with the other Allies especially the British.

I wonder if Turkish involvement in WWII means Kemal is going to viewed a lot more negatively. And I'm not just talking about the genocides of Armenians and the others. His willingness to collaborate with the Axis before his death is going to damage his reputation big time.

I know the Muslim world OTL has held him in high regard though so I wonder if his reputation will take a dent there.

Not at all. The Kemal of the timeline despite defeat made sure his country was not a Entente colony , had the good wisdom to leave when it was right and return for a successful administration, presided a multi-party system. He is arguably the example of a western style and wise leader. His WWI record was less involved in the genocide than presented.

Blame for both events will be laid at the CUP and the party in power.

I would not even expect much recognition for the A.Genocide. The Holocaust will overshadow discussions , and a greater Armeniam state (soviet or not) largely mitigates the historical militancy.

There are none I'm Greece (exchange) . With the exception of the Caucasus why would the be any ethnic cleansing? They are not collaborators or actively involved in the fighting from what I see.
Are we sure about that with Greece? The population exchange is never really given much detail besides Kemal wanting to exchange all Muslims and Christians, while Venizelos wanted something much more discerning regarding pro Greek Muslims and Christian minorities. The whole event kinda got glossed over unless I’m missing something. We don’t know if there were any exceptions like OTL Western Thracians, or if local Turks tried to pass themselves off as one of the pro Greek groups. I’m not saying there’s that large an amount but I’m not sure if it’s zero.