Northern Storm: Second Korean War 2003 TL

My first TL enjoy! Coming out of the 1994 Korean War thread.

Second Korean War Timeline

January 29, 2002- President George W. Bush during his State of the Union address announces North Korea as being part of an Axis of Evil with Iraq and Iran. He cites these nations as working to threaten the peace of the world and pose a grave danger.

October 3- Assistant Secretary of State James Kelly while visiting the North Korean capital of Pyongyang pushes the DPRK inquiring about rumors that its nuclear program is still active. Any North Korean program would be in violation of the 1994 Agreed Framework which promised security agreements, fuel for energy production, and light water nuclear pants for power generation. Kelly says he has evidence the North is enriching uranium.

October 16- The United States announces North Korea has admitted to running a secret nuclear arms program in talks. Kim Jong-Il says he will allow for international inspection of their nuclear facilities.

October 20- North and South talks are stalled in Pyongyang, the DPRK admission causing the difficulties. Colin Powell remarks that further US aid to North Korea is in doubt. Response from the DPRK is confusing, with the North defending its right to develop nuclear weapons, and then saying it will halt its program in exchange for a US Non-Aggression1 Pact.

November 14- President Bush declares that the November shipment of oil to the DPRK will be the last if the North refuses to halt weapons production.

December 4- North Korea rejects calls for it to open its nuclear facilities.

December 11- A ship bound for Yemen is discovered with North Korean SUCD missiles on board. US forces illegally detain the vessel but are forced to let it go. The DPRK announces it will restart its nuclear facilities for power generation to make up for the loss of oil shipments. Pyongyang also asks the IAEA to remove seals and inspection devices from the Yongbyon plant.

December 22- North Korea removes monitoring devices from the Yongbyon plant.

December 24-26 At the Yongbyon plant North Korean engineers begin repairs. North and South Korean talks over reopening rail and road links already in jeopardy cease due to the tensions. Over Christmas it’s revealed that fuel rods are being shipped to the Yongbyon plant. The IAEA confirms as many as 1,000 fuel rods have been shipped.

December 27- The DPRK announces it will expel the two IAEA inspectors from the country. It will also be reopening a processing plant to capable of producing weapons grade plutonium.

January 2, 2003- South Korea asks for international pressure, particularly from China to reduce tension over the nuclear issue. Two days later Russia joins the effort, bringing pressure on the DPRK to suspend its program.

January 6- The IAEA passes a resolution, demanding that North Korea readmit the inspectors within weeks. If the North refuses, the United Nations Security Council will seek its own resolution. United States says it will not offer a quid pro quos to the DPRK but is willing to begin talks.

January 10- North Korea states it will withdraw from the Non-Proliferation Treaty. This is the second time the North has threatened to step away from the NPT, the first being in 1993.

January 24- Cabinet level talks between the ROK and DPRK fail. President-elect Roh Moo-hyun says that he is willing to meet face to face with Kim Jong-Il.

January 28- In his State of the Union address President Bush calls North Korea, “an oppressive regime [whose] people live in fear and starvation”. He also says that North Korea was deceptive over its nuclear program and “America will not be blackmailed”. The DPRK declares President Bush’s speech is an undisguised declaration of aggression, to topple the DPRK system. Although the North calls the president a charlatan, the DPRK reiterates its desire for bilateral talks and a non-aggression pact.

February 4- The United States considers new military deployments in the Pacific. North Korea confirms it has reactivated its nuclear facilities and warns that any US military build up in the region could lead to a pre-emptive strike on US forces.

February 12- The IAEA finds North Korea in violation of nuclear safeguards. They bring the matter to the United Nations Security Council.

February 16- Kim Jong-Il celebrates his birthday. The 61 year old dictator tells his people to be on high alert. Later that day Kim meets with the senior military commanders of the North Korean Peoples Army. In a lengthy speech the Dear Leader outlines the aggressive acts made by the United States, UN, and ROK against them. With the continuing US build up against Iraq, many NKPA officers see this as an excellent chance to invade the South. Kim is also encouraged by the mass protests against the United States in Europe, Australia, and around the world. He believes the world will not support the US even if the North attacks the south.

Orders are given to begin preparations for the invasion of South Korea.

February 24- North Korea begins large scale military exercises to cover its mobilization of the nearly 700,000 men positioned near the DMZ. Twenty-two Special Forces brigades are mobilized with some infiltrating South Korea and Japan in the upcoming weeks. They will meet up with DPRK sleeper cells and collaborators. On D-Day they will attack airfields, command and control centers, assassinate high ranking US and ROK officials, and delay South Korean mobilization.

As the Special Forces attack the rear, the forward deployed corps will cross the DMZ to destroy the forward deployed CFC forces. Once a breakthrough had been made the armor and mobile units of the second echelon will move to encircle Seoul. The NKPA knows it cannot take the entire country. Their fuel, food, and ammunition supplies do not support an extended campaign. The NKPA believes by threatening Seoul with artillery and isolation, the ROK government will surrender rather than see massive civilian deaths.

In addition to the secret mobilization the DPRK fires a test missile into the Sea of Japan. This is done to keep the ‘maneuvers’ consistent with previous war games. The next day Roh Moo-hyun is sworn in as the new South Korean president.

March 2- An RC-135 Recon plane in intercepted by MiG-29 Fulcrums and MiG-23 Floggers out of North Korea. The DPRK planes fly within 400 feet of the intelligence aircraft shadowing it for 22 minutes. One of the MiGs locked its radar onto the River Joint aircraft which returned to Kandea Air Force Base in Japan. Twelve B-1B and another dozen B-52 bombers begin arriving at Anderson AFB on Guam.

March 3- U.S. and ROK forces begin the RSOI (Reception, Staging, Onward movement, and Integration) and the Foal Eagle exercise. Part of Foal Eagle includes new arrivals to Korea, a mechanized battalion and an armor battalion from the 1st Infantry Division. In addition a squadron of F-15Es from Alaska and six F-117s arrive. Foal Eagle is schedule to run to the end of March.

March 10- The DPRK fires another missile into the East Sea, this time an anti-ship missile. North Korea’s second echelon forces, the 820th Armored, 815th, and 806th Mechanized Corps move into secure underground facilities near the DMZ. Air Force units make final preparations as well, moving strike aircraft forward. Making their final perpetrations set D-Day for when the US strikes Iraq, believed to be coming in the next two weeks. Kim Jong-Il voices concerns at the American ‘reinforcements’ that are part of Foal Eagle in a meeting with the NKPA leadership. They reassure the Dear Leader that these will be the only reinforcements that Korea will see, since most active US formations are committed to the coming war in Iraq.

March 17- President Bush goes on television in the evening and tells Saddam Hussein that he has 48 hours to leave Iraq with his sons, or face war. As US forces prepare to initiate Operation Iraqi Freedom, Pyongyang issues its own war warning orders.

March 20- A strike by F-117s plus cruise missiles attempts to assassinate Saddam Hussein before the war in Iraq begins. The attack fails with the Iraqi leader appearing on television a few hours later. In the hours to follow Washington admits Special Forces are already operating inside Iraq. Air strikes against Iraqi troop and artillery positions begin.

March 21- In the early morning hours North Korea begins its invasion of the ROK. Special Forces launch attacks across the peninsula. A truck bomb is driven into the American Embassy security gate in Seoul. The explosion blows open a hole through which commandos attack. Nearly all the embassy personnel perish before the NK troops are killed by remaining US Marines and ROK security forces. A raid on the US Eight Army headquarters is defeated in part due to increased security for Foal Eagle.

Another SOF unit attacks Kunsan AFB. Using truck bombs to devastate the base security teams, commandos then attempted to destroy aircraft themselves with satchel charges. Three F-117s part of the Foal Eagle exercises are destroyed on the ground with another one damaged. Several F-15Es are damaged or destroyed. Similar attacks are made against South Korean airfields and Osan AFB. Some North Korea SOF units have orders to delay their attacks until days later.

Attacks are also launched in Japan. An SOF team is intercepted by Japanese police before they can approach the American and South Korean Embassies. The police kill several North Korean soldiers before being reinforced by US and ROK guards. A bomb goes off in a nightclub in Tokyo visited by US military personnel.

No-Dong and SCUD missiles are fired at ROK airfields, Kadena AFB and Misawa AFB in Japan. The longer range No-Dongs fail to knock out the Japanese bases landing away from runways and aircraft storage shelters. However causalities in non-hardened areas are low thanks to early warning systems in the US and war alerts from the 7th Air Force in Korea. Other missiles fall on Seoul and other cities killing hundreds as people rush to air raid shelters.

All along the DMZ artillery pounds the main line of resistance (MLR). 8,000 artillery systems open fire on ROK defensive positions and long range 170mm KOSAN cannons at Seoul. The NKPA guns fire from hardened artillery sites built into the rugged terrain making them highly resistant to counter battery fire. Under the fire of the guns the North Korean, IV, II, V, and I assault corps advance. Many units attempt to infiltrate behind the ROK defensive positions using tunnels under the DMZ with different measures of success.

IV and some elements of II Corps objective is to attack down the Kaesong-Munsan approach. This is the shortest route of advance being a mere 40 kilometers from Seoul. DPRK units hope to reach the city of Paju in a week isolating Seoul from the northwest and west. The ROKA 25th and 1st Infantry Divisions are hit by NKPA infantry who have a 5-1 ratio against them. The forward defensive positions inflict serve causalities on the assaulting IV Corps. Many of the ROK bunkers are overrun after exhausting their ammunition. Others hold off NKPA attacks but are cut off. IV Corps breaks through the MLR along the main roads, allowing its truck mounted and mechanized forces to move south.

The North Korean II Corps units advance down the northern Kaesong-Munsan approach focusing their attacks against the ROKA 1st and 5th Infantry Divisions. Like most of the DMZ units they inflict heavy losses to the NKPA but are overrun, destroyed in place, or cut off. An armored brigade of II Corp’s moves east towards Major Supply Route 3. It is stopped by a mixed force of K-1 tanks and older M-48Ks. American forces also see their first combat near the DMZ.

V Corps attacks along the traditional route of invasion, the Chorwon valley. A successful SOF operation kills the CO and Operations Officer of the 28th Infantry Division. This coupled with heavy attacks by NKPA infantry and tanks leads to the destruction of two of its three regiments. The DPRK 45th Infantry Division and 103rd Armored Brigade move to exploit the gap in ROK lines. T-62s of the 103rd begin battling with the ROKA 5th Armored Brigade. The ROK’s K-1 tanks hold off superior numbers of enemy tanks thanks to a vast technological advantage over the modified Soviet era tanks. NKPA infantry however conduct infiltrated flanking attacks on the 5th Armored, forcing them to withdraw.

In the east, the I Corps has the mission of tying down ROK II and III Corps. The four frontline infantry divisions push back the ROKA forces. Operations go better than expected and armor brigades push south. There is little room to maneuver however and soon the line of advance is marked by knocked out tanks and AFVs as ROKA troops skillfully use tanks and ATGMs in ambushes to delay I Corp’s armor. Additional forces are bought up to establish a new defense line ten kilometers south of the original MLR.

US Forces in Korea at the time of invasion consisted of the 1st and 2nd Brigades of the 2nd Infantry Division (Mechanized) and a cavalry squadron, 4th-7th ACR. The 1st ‘Iron Brigade’ included two armor battalions equipped with M1A1 Abrams tanks, and a Mechanized Infantry battalion in M2A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicles. Artillery came from the guns of 1st Battalion 15th Field Artillery. 2nd Brigade was made up of two air assault battalions and a Mech battalion. 2nd Battalion of the 17th Field Artillery rounded out the fighting component of the brigade.

Also in Korea at the time were two battalions from the 1st Infantry Division. Deployed as part of the Foal Eagle exercise, a mechanized and an Armor battalion added to the American heavy units. The 2nd ID also has an aviation brigade with AH-64D Longbows and UH-60 Black Hawks. Like ROK units in the country US forces came under Special Forces attacks on D-Day. The 2nd Infantry and 1st Infantry units deal with the commando attacks quickly. Thanks to Foal Eagle, US units are either in the field or preparing for their exercises. NK commandos score some successes, including the destruction of a group of AH-64s on the ground. As the day continues, US forces will move into defensive positions to backstop and support the ROK forces.

In the air, North Korean jets blitz across the DMZ shortly after the rocket and SOF attacks. MiG-23s, 21s, 19s, Su-25 Frogfoots and Su-17 Fitters fill the skies hoping to hit their targets and escape back across the DMZ before the allied air forces come to bear. Surprise however escapes the North Koreans, with the SOF attacks occurring before the SCUD and No-Dong launches, US and ROK aircraft are able to take to the skies. F-16s, F-4s, and F-5s engage with missiles at long range, thanks to AWACS support. North Korea suffers heavy losses, but do complete several strikes.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Very good so far. The only thought that occurs to me is whether plans for the attack against Iraq might be postponed in light of increased tensions with North Korea.

Also, what's going on at sea? IIRC, the NKs have a few Kilo-class submarines that would be used to attack American, ROK and Japanese shipping in the area.

Sissco

Banned
This is Billiant....I wish I was a good as you at this sort of thing....how I wish I could develope a reasonable timeline for a major war to break out in the Caucausus......but any idea I throw out usually ends up with everyone saying it's ASB!!!!

Very good so far. The only thought that occurs to me is whether plans for the attack against Iraq might be postponed in light of increased tensions with North Korea.

Also, what's going on at sea? IIRC, the NKs have a few Kilo-class submarines that would be used to attack American, ROK and Japanese shipping in the area.

The war in Iraq is already underway in the air, ground wise I'm not sure. US forces in Korea are actually quite strong in 03. Problem is re-supply which will be a major headache with Iraq occuring at the same time.

As to sea I'll get to it, but I don't think the NKs have Kilos, just Romeos and Whiskeys but I'll make sure to double check. Thanks for the feedback!

This is Billiant....I wish I was a good as you at this sort of thing....how I wish I could develope a reasonable timeline for a major war to break out in the Caucausus......but any idea I throw out usually ends up with everyone saying it's ASB!!!!

Thanks Sissco. For your idea I'd start with a different Georgia War in 08, maybe one that draws in others.

stalkere

Banned
NICE JOB

gtrof
Not bad, not bad at all.
Sounds like the exercise scenarios we used to run when I was at Kunsan.

A few real minor nits - FOAL EAGLE, IIRC is a fall exercise. Dunno how true it is, but I had a General explain that it is scheduled AFTER the rice harvest but ahead of the freeze. March would be in the planting time, IIRC.

Also, if we were planning to head for Iraq, would we hold FE03?
I believe FE90 was cancelled due to DESERT SHIELD...and I think FE03 was cancelled due to OIF/OEF taskings.

But, that is the sort of thing that the average reader is not going to pick up on.

And, hey, just the Amphibious Scout Sniper force and their LCVP hovercrafts are going to do some serious damage.

I do want to draw your attention to these - when I first saw LCVP in a report, I thought they were talking about a WWII Higgins boat sort of thing. They are in many ways, similar to the high speed hovercraft ferries used in the English Channel and some parts of Japan. They can go 45-60MPH over any reasonably flat surface - water, mud, snow, etc.
Just getting into the aircraft revetments at Kunsan or Osan, busting some Vipers and killing the Maintainers would play merry hell.

Not so sure truck bombs would be a problem, as this is a problem our boys have spent a lot of time thinking about.

But - good TL!

Sissco

Banned
Thanks Sissco. For your idea I'd start with a different Georgia War in 08, maybe one that draws in others.

Thanks for the idea, GTROF, but I was thinking.....and I don't mean to ruin your thread, but does anyone remember WHEN that school was held hostage in Chechyna? is there a way I can build a war outa that or is that too small an incident? Please advise me!

A few real minor nits - FOAL EAGLE, IIRC is a fall exercise. Dunno how true it is, but I had a General explain that it is scheduled AFTER the rice harvest but ahead of the freeze. March would be in the planting time, IIRC.

Also, if we were planning to head for Iraq, would we hold FE03?
I believe FE90 was cancelled due to DESERT SHIELD...and I think FE03 was cancelled due to OIF/OEF taskings.

From what I've researched FE03 did occur. The North used it in OTL to break off from talks with the South.

And, hey, just the Amphibious Scout Sniper force and their LCVP hovercrafts are going to do some serious damage.

I do want to draw your attention to these - when I first saw LCVP in a report, I thought they were talking about a WWII Higgins boat sort of thing. They are in many ways, similar to the high speed hovercraft ferries used in the English Channel and some parts of Japan. They can go 45-60MPH over any reasonably flat surface - water, mud, snow, etc.
Just getting into the aircraft revetments at Kunsan or Osan, busting some Vipers and killing the Maintainers would play merry hell.

I think I'll edit some of the D-Day stuff and inculde that. I also didn't mention the An-2s the NKs have. From what I've read they are actually stealthy thanks to their wooden and cloth construction.

But - good TL!

Praise from a soldier :D Thanks!

Thanks for the idea, GTROF, but I was thinking.....and I don't mean to ruin your thread, but does anyone remember WHEN that school was held hostage in Chechyna? is there a way I can build a war outa that or is that too small an incident? Please advise me!

Beslan was in 2004. Since it was public and bloody with childern it would be pleanty to get Russians not mention the world pissed.

Sissco

Banned
Thanks GTROF:

Beslan was in 2004. Since it was public and bloody with childern it would be pleanty to get Russians not mention the world pissed.

YOu've just given me an idea....I'll have to research everything - who ruled what nations, what governments were in power, what the general suitation was everywere else and then I can build on this.....Give me a couple of days and I'll see what i can create!

I'm looking forward to more of your Second Korean war T.L! Top class work, If I may say so.

stalkere

Banned
<snip>I also didn't mention the An-2s the NKs have. From what I've read they are actually stealthy thanks to their wooden and cloth construction.
Praise from a soldier :D Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-2

Yep, the Colt is one of those so-dumb-it's-actually-smart things.

A freakin wood-and-fabric biplane, for chrissakes, with a Kutsenov radial and big freakin tractor tires. Got the radar cross-section of a freakin box kite, and an incredible glide ratio.

According to one report, there was a sortie where it climbed to altitude, then shut off the motor and glided approx 35 miles before restarting and then landing on a plowed field.

According to the book, it has no stall speed, and has been observed as slow as 30MPH in controlled flight.

stalkere

Banned
Thanks GTROF:

YOu've just given me an idea....I'll have to research everything - who ruled what nations, what governments were in power, what the general suitation was everywere else and then I can build on this.....Give me a couple of days and I'll see what i can create!

I'm looking forward to more of your Second Korean war T.L! Top class work, If I may say so.

Hmm..dumb question...ever read the "Paldin of Shadows" series by John Ringo. Bit of an Ameriwank story, and fully intended to be, but "Kildar", "Unto the Breach" and "Choosers of the Slain" are pretty much set in Georgia.

Might be interesting to see this story re-written from a Georgia or Russian in charge. Never seen a Ruswank story - I'm sure they exist, but I've only seen Brit-wank and Ameriwank stories. The Australian stories seem to all be dystopias, and the Canadians...I guess when you're confident in real life, you don't need to write wanker stories, eh?

And, no, I'm not a Canadian, but I grew up north of Buffalo. If I ever decided to leave the US, Canada would be my first choice.
Ed

stalkere

Banned
gtrof
Not bad, not bad at all.
Sounds like the exercise scenarios we used to run when I was at Kunsan.
<snip>
<snip>
But - good TL!

Bad practice usually to reply to your own post, but I looked it up

FOAL EAGLE 01 was CANX - and moved to March, combined with RSO&I.

Since then FE has become a spring tradition in Korea - makes sense to me - cold wet slimy sleet - the Army definition of "Good Training"!

Bad practice usually to reply to your own post, but I looked it up

FOAL EAGLE 01 was CANX - and moved to March, combined with RSO&I.

Since then FE has become a spring tradition in Korea - makes sense to me - cold wet slimy sleet - the Army definition of "Good Training"!

North Korean D-Day was March 21, so FE-ROSI should still be on, I think I mentioned it.

North Korean military doctrine is offencive defencive. Unfortunatly this TL is unreal.
DPRK hadnt new tanks, new warplanes. With using of korean relief their tanks(T-62, T-55\54) can be used for defence, but they havent any chances in offencive.
China and russia would try to avert war, because their territories can suffer from
radioactive pollution(or it's better to say-"radioactive contamination?)

Having been a Battalion S2 in Korea, but before Ed was there. I remember scenarios where we asssumed the Colts would be landed on air bases to destroy ammo stocks, fuel stocks and planes on the ground. In addition we thought they would land on or near our artillery near their planned breakthrough points. Even after all these years I think they could still be effective in those roles.

Keep the posts coming. They are interesting.

Robert

I dont see North Korea attacking anyone the next 50 years.
If they would be involved in any war then it would more likely be attacked by someone else. But i dont see the USA attacking it the next couple years either.

North Korean military doctrine is offencive defencive. Unfortunatly this TL is unreal.
DPRK hadnt new tanks, new warplanes. With using of korean relief their tanks(T-62, T-55\54) can be used for defence, but they havent any chances in offencive.
China and russia would try to avert war, because their territories can suffer from
radioactive pollution(or it's better to say-"radioactive contamination?)

Tuhachevskey, wars usually aren't logical or rational. Especially when someone like Kim Jong-Il is in charge. Plus yeah the North is out classed but to them it doesn't matter. They ARE willing to die to complete their missions. Its sort of like Insurgents or Jihadists. Do they have the firepower to force the US to leave? No. They have the will however to take their losses till (in their minds) the US will throw in the towel.

The DPRK in my TL is gambling that with the war in Iraq the US can't fully commit to Korea, and once they bomb enough of Seoul and threaten it with their troops, plus WMDs (Drity Weapons and Chemicals) the ROKs will give in.

I agree though that Russia and especially China will be putting real pressure on North Korea. They will pop up in the TL.

Having been a Battalion S2 in Korea, but before Ed was there. I remember scenarios where we asssumed the Colts would be landed on air bases to destroy ammo stocks, fuel stocks and planes on the ground. In addition we thought they would land on or near our artillery near their planned breakthrough points. Even after all these years I think they could still be effective in those roles.

Keep the posts coming. They are interesting.

Robert

Thanks rcmcciii :D

An edited and extended March 21st plus Day Two!

March 21- In the early morning hours North Korea begins its invasion of the ROK. Special Forces launch attacks across the peninsula. A truck bomb is driven into the American Embassy security gate in Seoul. The explosion blows open a hole through which commandos attack. Nearly all the embassy personnel including the ambassador perish before the NK troops are killed by remaining US Marines and ROK security forces. A raid on the US Eight Army headquarters in Yongsan is defeated in part due to increased security for Foal Eagle.

A two prong SOF attack hits Kunsan AFB. The first wave traveling in An-2 Colt biplanes (which are actually stealthy thanks to their wood and cloth construction) crash land on the field, commandos then attempted to destroy aircraft with satchel charges and RPGs. The nature of the raid however leads to one SOF team dying as their Colt slammed into the ground. The second was caught in a crossfire by Air Force security units. Moments after the airborne attack, three Kongbang Hovercraft deliver additional commandos. Fitted with 30mm cannons and mortars the LCAC deliver devastating fire on the base. Four F-117s part of the Foal Eagle exercises are destroyed on the ground with another one damaged. Nearly all the F-15Es are damaged or destroyed. The raid is defeated when an F-16 returning from a training mission destroys two of the Kongbangs with cannon fire. The third departs the base only to be intercepted by a ROKA unit.

A similar airborne raid against Osan airbase is defeated thanks to an alert air defense battery. North Korean snipers attacked the base later in the day slowing operations before being killed by Air Force security teams. Other North Korea SOF units have orders to delay their attacks until days later, to hamper ROK reinforcements.

Attacks are also launched in Japan. An SOF team is intercepted by Japanese police before they can approach the American and South Korean Embassies. The police kill several North Korean soldiers before being reinforced by US and ROK guards. A bomb goes off in a nightclub in Tokyo visited by US military personnel. U.S. Marines at the 7th Fleet’s base in Okinawa stop a North Korean truck bomber.

No-Dong, FROG, and SCUD missiles are fired at ROK airfields, plus Kadena AFB and Misawa AFB in Japan. The longer range No-Dongs fail to knock out the Japanese bases landing away from runways and aircraft storage shelters. However causalities in non-hardened areas are low thanks to early warning systems in the US and war alerts from the 7th Air Force in Korea. Other missiles fall on Seoul and other cities killing hundreds as people rush to air raid shelters.

All along the DMZ artillery pounds the main line of resistance (MLR). 8,000 artillery systems open fire on ROK defensive positions and long range 170mm KOSAN cannons at Seoul. The NKPA guns fire from hardened artillery sites built into the rugged terrain making them highly resistant to counter battery fire. Under the fire of the guns the North Korean, IV, II, V, and I assault corps advance. Many units attempt to infiltrate behind the ROK defensive positions using tunnels under the DMZ with different measures of success.

IV and some elements of II Corps objective is to attack down the Kaesong-Munsan approach. This is the shortest route of advance being a mere 40 kilometers from Seoul. DPRK units hope to reach the city of Paju in a week isolating Seoul from the northwest. The ROKA 25th and 1st Infantry Divisions are hit by NKPA infantry who have a 5-1 ratio against them. The forward defensive positions inflict serve causalities on the assaulting IV Corps. Many of the ROK bunkers are overrun after exhausting their ammunition. DPRK river crossing units build additional bridges at the crossing near the ‘Freedom Bridge’ which was captured by SOF units.

The truce city of Panmunjeom is taken by the NKPA. South Korean guards and diplomats are brutally executed by North Korean political officers. American and UN staff are beaten and abused. Some are killed but most are sent back to Pyongyang to be used as hostages. Others hold off NKPA attacks but are cut off. IV Corps breaks through the MLR along MSR 1, allowing its truck mounted and mechanized forces to move south. However a significant ROK force remains inside the city of Musan.

The North Korean II Corps units advance down the northern Kaesong-Munsan approach focusing their attacks against the ROKA 1st and 5th Infantry Divisions. Like most of the DMZ units they inflict heavy losses to the NKPA but are overrun, destroyed in place, or cut off. An armored brigade of II Corp’s moves east towards Major Supply Route 3. It is stopped by a mixed force of K-1 tanks and older M-48Ks. American forces also see their first combat near the DMZ.

V Corps attacks along the traditional route of invasion, the Chorwon valley. A successful SOF operation kills the CO and Operations Officer of the 28th Infantry Division. This coupled with heavy attacks by NKPA infantry and tanks leads to the destruction of two of its three regiments. The DPRK 45th Infantry Division and 103rd Armored Brigade move to exploit the gap in ROK lines. T-62s of the 103rd begin battling with the ROKA 5th Armored Brigade. The ROK’s K-1 tanks hold off superior numbers of enemy tanks thanks to a vast technological advantage over the modified Soviet era tanks. NKPA infantry however conduct infiltrated flanking attacks on the 5th Armored, forcing them to withdraw.

In the east, the I Corps has the mission of tying down ROK II and III Corps. The four frontline infantry divisions push back the ROKA forces. Operations go better than expected and armor brigades push south. There is little room to maneuver however and soon the line of advance is marked by knocked out tanks and AFVs as ROKA troops skillfully use tanks and ATGMs in ambushes to delay I Corp’s armor. Additional forces are bought up to establish a new defense line ten kilometers south of the original MLR.

US Forces in Korea at the time of invasion consisted of the 1st and 2nd Brigades of the 2nd Infantry Division (Mechanized) and a cavalry squadron, 4th-7th ACR. The 1st ‘Iron Brigade’ included two armor battalions equipped with M1A1 Abrams tanks, and a Mechanized Infantry battalion in M2A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicles. Artillery came from the guns of 1st Battalion 15th Field Artillery. 2nd Brigade was made up of two air assault battalions and a Mech battalion. 2nd Battalion of the 17th Field Artillery rounded out the fighting component of the brigade.

Also in Korea at the time were two battalions from the 1st Infantry Division. Deployed as part of the Foal Eagle exercise, a mechanized and an Armor battalion added to the American heavy units. The 2nd ID also has an aviation brigade with AH-64D Longbows and UH-60 Black Hawks. Like ROK units in the country US forces came under Special Forces attacks on D-Day. The 2nd Infantry and 1st Infantry units deal with the commando attacks quickly. Thanks to Foal Eagle, US units are either in the field or preparing for their exercises. NK commandos score some successes, including the destruction of a group of AH-64s on the ground along with half of the 2nd Brigade’s artillery. As the day continues, US forces will move into defensive positions to backstop and support the ROK forces.

In the air, 600 North Korean jets blitz across the DMZ shortly after the rocket and SOF attacks. MiG-23s, 21s, 19s, Su-25 Frogfoots and Su-17 Fitters fill the skies hoping to hit their targets and escape back across the DMZ before the allied air forces come to bear. While Floggers, Fishbeds, and Farmers attempted to clear the skies of allied fighters, Sukhoi strike aircraft and IL-28 bombers moved to hit ROK and US bases and finish off airfields. Surprise however eluded the North Koreans, with the SOF attacks occurring before the SCUD and No-Dong launches, US and ROK aircraft are able to take to the skies. F-16s, F-4s, and F-5s engage with missiles at long range, with NKPAF flights detected thanks to AWACS support. North Korea suffers heavy losses, but do complete several strikes.

At sea, the North Koreans put nearly all of its naval forces to sea. Included are frigates, fast attack missile boats, torpedo boats, diesel submarines, and midget submarines, over 400 vessels near the naval demarcation line. From the East Seas Fleet, 10 Romeo class diesel submarines enter the Sea of Japan. Their mission will be to prevent seaborne reinforcement from the United States and Japan. Another ten subs leave to blockade South Korean ports and kill ROK naval vessels.

Many North Korean vessels participate in landing SOF teams behind the ROK’s lines. Midget submarines, Kongbang hovercraft, and other ships attempt to insert teams on the east and western coasts. Some units are attacked by ROK vessels on patrol and fail to deliver to their targets. Other surface assets deliver their teams only to fall prey to USN carrier aircraft later in the morning. Sixty percent of the DPRK midget submarines manage to make it to and from their targets, including a submarine that delivered an SOF team that tried to destroy ROKN vessels inside Chinhae Naval Base.

One DPRK submarine is lost early to a ROK Ulasn frigate. North Korea scores its first kill by sinking a Korean container ship outside Pusan. A Romeo put three torpedoes into the vessel breaking its back. Swift rescue efforts save many of the crew. Later in the morning North Korean missile boats and South Korean corvettes meet in a large battle a few hundred miles off Sokch’o. Six ROK ships are lost to missiles and suicide DPRK torpedo attacks. Dozens of North Korean ships are lost to ROK guns and missiles.

The United States Navy has two aircraft carriers operating near Korea on March 22nd. Kitty Hawk and Carl Vinson receive news of the war quickly after the first commando attacks inside the ROK. Pacific Fleet orders both carrier groups to initiate pre-existing plans for strikes against DPRK naval bases, ships, and airfields. CAGs onboard each carrier coordinates their strikes, launching the first at 0430 Lima.

F-14 Tomcats lead the procession of strike aircraft which included F/A-18s, EA-6B jammers, and an E-2C Hawkeye for command and control. DPRK radar detected the raids and launched MiG-21s and MiG-23s in defense. Tomcats fired off their long range Phoenix missiles with mixed results, the NKPAF plans losing a third of their number. At closer range the F-14s demonstrate their superior maneuverability and aircrews. As the Tomcats tangled with the Floggers and Fishbeds, Hornets backed by Prowlers move to attack DPRK SAM and radar sites. As the Prowlers jam North Korean radars, F/A-18s armed with AGM-88 HARMs take out the SAMs.

With the defenses hit, the remaining strike aircraft bomb Ch’anjon and Wonsan bases. Using JDAM and other PGMs, the Navy planes cause heavy damage to both bases and sink several ships in port. Other planes hit DPRK anti-ship missile sites and communication relays. Six planes fail to return to their carriers. Carriers recover their aircraft and prepare for another set of strikes. The carrier’s escorting cruisers and destroyers fire off Tomahawk missiles which add to the destruction at both naval bases. Additional cruise missiles hit the east coast airbases with a combination of runway destroying models and cluster bombs.

In Washington, President Bush meets with the National Security Council. The DPRK attack has caught them by surprise. Already however some in the NSC wonder if Iraq and North Korea had coordinated their actions. Dismissing that at mute, the President asks what the United States do to assist South Korea. The start of the war in Iraq has already determined US air supply efforts and priorities. Units slated to reinforce Korea are in The Middle East, and the JCS is unsure of their ability to fight two wars at once.

March 22- North Korea continues their assault along the DMZ. In the east, I Corps makes little progress against the South Korean defenders. The ROKA holds the line in front of Geojin. Although deemed a sideshow, I Corp’s commander is determined to achieve a great victory. He orders the lead brigades’ of the 806th Mechanized Corps to attack. T-62s, VTT-323s, BTRs with heavy artillery support hit the ROK lines. After two hours of heavy combat, a brigade breaks through heading for the city. Swift counterattack however by the 22nd Infantry, lead by its armor battalion defeats the breakthrough. Only the exhaustion of the ROK soldiers and re-supply requirements prevent them from pushing the counterattack further.

V Corps pushes further south. With the 28th Infantry Division rendered combat ineffective, the burden of holding the line falls to the 5th and 26th Infantry Divisions. The units hold ground with the 5th Armored Brigade, later in the day the ROKs are forced back as ammunition runs low. Believing the dam is about to break, the 820th Armored Corps is ordered to attack. They will cross the Hantangang River and breakout down MSR 3 to the city of Tongduch’on. The Combined Forces Commander orders the Iron Brigade of the U.S. 2ID to prevent the crossing and block MSR 3. In addition he also sends the 1st Infantry Division’s two battalions for additional reserve.

Establishing a defensive position around Jeongoki they dig in behind ahead of and behind the river. Infantry from the ROKA 26th Infantry and tanks from the 5th Armor also join the Americans. Opposing the Allied forces is the 105th Armored Division centerpiece of the 820th Corps. The 105th’s two armor and one mechanized brigade are backed by the divisional artillery brigade, and an additional two artillery brigades attached to the corps. Both sides use the night to prepare for the coming attack, with the Americans digging fighting positions for their M1A1s and Bradleys while the NKPA moves the 820th south down MSR 3.

During the night the 820th movement is harassed by AH-64s of the 2ID’s aviation brigade. The Longbows use their Hellfire missiles to hammer the 105th Division. In addition to the helos, 35th Fighter Squadron F-16s hit the 820th’s mobile artillery and supply columns.

In the west the North Korean IV Corps tries to clear the pocketed ROK units at Musan. Progress is slow. The DPRK infantry are survivors of the previous day’s fighting. Tried and assembled into mixed units they fight poorly. Little artillery support is given to battle as more of the NKPA guns are moved south. IV Corps is focused on taking the cities of Sinhwa-ri and Kimpo. South Korea reinforces its I Corps with units from the Capital Corps defending Seoul.

DPRK infantry hit the I Corps in the forested hills before Sinhwa-ri. The battle spilled over into the city resulting in a brutal house to house fighting. By the end of the day neither side holds a major advantage. ROKA units hold the city, but are unable to drive the North Koreans back. Another attack is scheduled for the next day with a pair of brigades from the 815th Mechanized Corps.

U.S. and ROK air power continues to deliver in the air. The NKAF loses more planes trying to fly attack missions south of the DMZ. With losses mounted for little gain, a more defensive strategy is adopted. North Korean fighters fly CAP over their ground forces and the DPRK. However pressure on the NKAF mounts as more air attacks are launched from the ROK and U.S. carriers. On Guam, the B-1s and B-52s begin planning missions against North Korean forces in the field and targets inside the DPRK.

On the diplomatic front, the European Union, Japan, Russia, China, and United States all denounce the North Korean invasion. While no one is happy with the U.S. invasion of Iraq, the major powers agree a war in Asia is highly destabilizing. Russia does not wish to feel further encircled by the U.S. which already has bases in Central Asia and Japan. China worries about a collapse of the DPRK if the invasion (which their intelligence believes it will) fails. Fearing a North Korean defeat will lead to a flood of refugees China mobilizes units in the Shenyang Military District for security purposes. The PRC also does not want to see South Korea uniting the peninsula under their banner. Immediately the Chinese Ambassador presses his contacts to get him a meeting with Kim Jong-Il in order to get the Dear Leader to begin negotiations.

Japan also calls for North Korea to seek a ceasefire and withdraw back across the DMZ. JSDF air and naval units are mobilized. Frigates and destroyers move to secure the waters and trade routes into Japan. JSADF F-15s and F-2s fly CAP missions over the Tsushima Straight out of Tsuiki while P-3s and other maritime patrol craft hunt for DPRK submarines. The Diet already angry over the North Korean missile attacks, receives world that a Japanese car carrier was sunk by a Romeo submarine. After so more debate the Japanese Diet orders JSDF units to engage in active combat with any North Korean ship, submarine, or aircraft that threatens Allied or Japanese ships. Shortly after the decision, a Japanese SSK sinks a DPRK Whiskey class sub.

American fighters from Fifth Air Force transfer a squadron of F-15s to the Seventh Air Force in Korea. In addition every missile and bomb the American bases can send is prepped to be shipped over by air and sea. In Hawaii the 15th Airlift Wing mobilizes its C-17s and other transports to begin bringing men and supplies to Korea. It is one of the few groups available to do so with many supporting combat in Iraq.

Over television and radio in Iraq, Saddam Hussein praises the North Korean invasion, calling it a heroic act against the warmongering United States. He goes on to call other nations to join the Iraqi-Korean struggle. North Korea other than offering statements of support can do nothing for Iraq which continues to be pounded by U.S. and British airpower and Coalition troops begin advancing into the country. Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez condemns the United States for brining war to Iraq and forcing it upon North Korea.

Last edited: