Nobody's First Choice: Buchanan v. Jackson 1992

An idea occurred to me earlier today. What if, instead of fighting off the primary challenge that he did in OTL, Bush Sr. loses the GOP renomination in 1992 to Patrick Buchanan, AND Jesse Jackson launches a strong left wing campaign that just manages to clinch the Democrat nomination due to the absence of Bill Clinton from the field for some reason? This is probably a very unlikely scenario, Bush did win by a healthy margin pretty much everywhere and Jackson didn't even run, but I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on this potential matchup. Obviously race would be a big issue, as would the economy, although the rhetoric on the issue would probably be much more fiery and intense than IOTL. Unfortunately I don't have the time or knowledge to make this into a full blown TL, but maybe someone else would be able to.

Chapman

Donor
If we're operating on the assumption that it's /only/ Jackson and Buchanan, with no third party option, I give it to Buchanan sadly enough. America would gladly take him over Jesse Jackson.

Buchanan didn't come close to winning a single GOP primary in 1992. In his best state, NH, he trailed Bush by almost sixteen points. In fact, NH and GA were the only states where Buchanan came within thirty points of Bush. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Republican_Party_presidential_primaries It's hard to discuss your hypothetical unless we know how Buchanan (who in some states like IL, OH and NJ trailed Bush by over fifty points in OTL!) managed to win the nomination...

I think you'd see George Bush play Teddy Roosevelt and WIN. Heck, given the right circumstances, you could even see him run with a Blue Dog Democrat as the VP.

If we're operating on the assumption that it's /only/ Jackson and Buchanan, with no third party option, I give it to Buchanan sadly enough. America would gladly take him over Jesse Jackson.

Probably. On the upside 1992 Buchanan is probably a lot less bad than 2018 Buchanan would be.

Buchanan didn't come close to winning a single GOP primary in 1992. In his best state, NH, he trailed Bush by almost sixteen points. In fact, NH and GA were the only states where Buchanan came within thirty points of Bush. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Republican_Party_presidential_primaries It's hard to discuss your hypothetical unless we know how Buchanan (who in some states like IL, OH and NJ trailed Bush by over fifty points in OTL!) managed to win the nomination...
It's been my understanding that because Buchanan lost in NH his momentum, such as it was, completely evaporated. I was thinking perhaps something happens with Bush that prevents him from either having as much underlying popularity as he did, or prevents him from personally touring the state and boosting his numbers, as the wikipedia said he did.