No Islam: Religious development in Arabia

The proximity of Arabia to the Byzantines, Sassanids and Horn of Africa meant the region had been a nexus for trade and commerce, along with becoming a melting point of various intellectual and religious traditions. Evidence suggests that Polytheistic traditions where practised by the majority of the population. The various Arab communities tended to worship the same deities, however certain gods tended to be venerated to a greater extent (or exclusively) depending on the clan/region. Nevertheless, Monotheism had established a strong presence throughout the peninsula, with evidence of prominent communities of Christians, Jews and adherents of independent monotheism being documented by Islamic and Non-Islamic scholarship alike. While this presence and prolonged contact with monotheism did not inhibit or affect the traditional Arab faiths (and their tribal adherents), it was certainty significant in the region. Particularly fascinating is the influences and similarities that can observed within the Islamic faith due to such religious diversity.

The advent of Islam in Late Antiquity transformed the region. Alongside uniting the fractured Arab tribes, the supremacy of Islam metamorphized the religious character of the Peninsula. Within mere decades Arabia had become religiously homogenous, the once dominant Polytheistic traditions vanquished and formerly prominent communities such as the Jewish Arabian tribes expelled/relocated to outside their homelands. That does not necessarily mean Pre-Islamic traditions disappeared or that Arab clans fully embraced Islam without later lingering into apostasy, fundamentally however Polytheism had been deeply diminished. The effects of Islam on the Peninsula can not be understated, thus prompting a question of how would religion develop in a diverse region like Arabia without the emergence of Islam.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, they would have become Orthodox Christians (albeit with large numbers of religious minorities), though "orthodoxy" would probably have looked different ITTL.

polytheism survives for a long time and i do mean a long time it survived in the njad after the Islamic unification, Mohamed tribe here can be one of the most powerful entities and would probably prop it more even if they get destroyed or conquered still polytheism would be strong assuming in this alt the byzantine sassanid war of 602 occurred Sassanian holdings would collapse in 630s becoming independent and so Zoroastrianism would not catch on , judaisim would persit as Christianity would continue to be dominant in the north due to the defeat of the Sassanids what happens next would depend on the migrations of the alt 7th century and how quick eastern rome or aksum would recover.
also my signature cof cof

Last edited:
polytheism survives for a long time and i do mean a long time it survived in the njad after the Islamic unification, Mohamed tribe here can be one of the most powerful entities and would probably prop it more even if they get destroyed or conquered still polytheism would be strong assuming in this alt the byzantine sassanid war of 602 occurred Sassanian holdings would collapse in 630s becoming independent and so Zoroastrianism would not catch on , judaisim would persit as Christianity would continue to be dominant in the north due to the defeat of the Sassanids what happens next would depend on the migrations of the alt 7th century and how quick eastern rome or aksum would recover.
also my signature cof cof
While I was aware that the inhabitants of the Najd historically practiced certain traditions and adhered to strands of Islam that would be considered heterodox/heretical (lingering on apostasy) by much of the Islamic community, I was under the impression that actual belief in Arabian polytheism had largely been extinguished in the decades following the Ridda Wars.

In terms of the Banu Hashim, I don’t see any reason why they become one of the most powerful entities considering their ascendancy was due largely to their relation with the Prohet. Without Islam, it’s likely they remain a powerful force in Mecca, but hardly a game changer in propagating Polytheism.

I’ve never really understood the consensus that the Arab migrations where inevitable. In terms of my own reading, I’ve found little evidence to suggest some sort of population-related or environmental/climatic promoting migration outside Arabia. To the best of my knowledge, the tribes that settled into newly-conquered territory either became part of the ruling class under the Ummayads or settled in sparsely habitated regions and garrison towns away from the urban populace.

While I was aware that the inhabitants of the Najd historically practiced certain traditions and adhered to strands of Islam that would be considered heterodox/heretical (lingering on apostasy) by much of the Islamic community, I was under the impression that actual belief in Arabian polytheism had largely been extinguished in the decades following the Ridda Wars.

In terms of the Banu Hashim, I don’t see any reason why they become one of the most powerful entities considering their ascendancy was due largely to their relation with the Prohet. Without Islam, it’s likely they remain a powerful force in Mecca, but hardly a game changer in propagating Polytheism.

I’ve never really understood the consensus that the Arab migrations where inevitable. In terms of my own reading, I’ve found little evidence to suggest some sort of population-related or environmental/climatic promoting migration outside Arabia. To the best of my knowledge, the tribes that settled into newly-conquered territory either became part of the ruling class under the Ummayads or settled in sparsely habitated regions and garrison towns away from the urban populace.
1) it was a wierd mix of surviving comunties there with heretical sects

2) the Quraysh were becoming powerful as trade came to through them and so did pilgrims with mecca the Fijār War has given a monopoly on trade from hejaz to the persian gulf this war combined with the wars of the otl against Mohamed show the Quraysh have a lot of influence how ever if I gave the impression that they would be marching and imposing polytheism then that was not the idea I was giving rather the trade control and a powerful army would make Arabian polytheism more organized as block against the other religions especially if the Quraysh expand through the hejaz which they were already doing by subdoing al taif.

3) simple climate change a great example is that otl the coast of Aksum got drier this also occurred in the south and in Arabia a symptom of this can be seen with the drought that occurred in Arabia during the reign of omar in 638 were food in medina ran out , with out a conquest here some arab tribes here would face starvation but the migration of one tribe would kick another so it would be a domino one how ever with a stronger ere empire its unlikely they conquer much if anything do to ghassanids still been vassals how ever a weakened (assuming 602 war) mesopotemia would be quite nice place to move.

Last edited:
My basic guess is Christianity in the west and maybe Zoroastrianism or even an Indian religion in the east. Judaism may also find some success in a no-Islam Arabia.

My basic guess is Christianity in the west and maybe Zoroastrianism or even an Indian religion in the east. Judaism may also find some success in a no-Islam Arabia.
It would say chirstianity in the north and south in the west with a strong pagan Hejaz until due to been in between Aksum and the Romans Christianity might win out Judaism is strong I Yemen and some areas of the Hejaz

3) simple climate change a great example is that otl the coast of Aksum got drier this also occurred in the south and in Arabia a symptom of this can be seen with the drought that occurred in Arabia during the reign of omar in 638 were food in medina ran out , with out a conquest here some arab tribes here would face starvation but the migration of one tribe would kick another so it would be a domino one how ever with a stronger ere empire its unlikely they conquer much if anything do to ghassanids still been vassals how ever a weakened (assuming 602 war) mesopotemia would be quite nice place to move.
I would argue that a drought does not necessarily entail large scale migrations, especially in a region with already limited rainfall and agriculture such as Arabia. Nevertheless, it is a fascinating topic to explore. Would you have any sources or material specifically on the drought and the migrations? I’ve been unable to find any.

With or without the migrations, I envision the various regions of the Pennisula varying in their religious character. Northern Arabia most probably remains Christian, or at the least partially Christianized. The western and interior regions, such as the Najd and Hejaz, are likely to retain their traditional Polytheistic traditions (with the latter likely maintaining a more diverse religious community comprising of prominent Jewish tribes and various Christian groups). I envision Yemen remaining a bastion of monotheism considering the OTL prominence of monotheistic faiths such as Judaism, along with the regions historical connection with Axum. The mercantile hub of the Eastern Gulf/Bahrain region may see a religion such as Buddhism spread in competition with the established Nestorian presence. In such a scenario, Eastern Arabia (along with Oman) may become a melting pot of various faiths.

In terms of Arabian Polytheism, what are the chances of its development into a sort of Hinduism equivalent? Alternatively, could the Polytheist community embrace a more formalized faith, focusing on venerating specific deities (such as focusing on the worship of a trinity of al-Lat, Al-'Uzzá, and Manāt)?

I would argue that a drought does not necessarily entail large scale migrations, especially in a region with already limited rainfall and agriculture such as Arabia. Nevertheless, it is a fascinating topic to explore. Would you have any sources or material specifically on the drought and the migrations? I’ve been unable to find any.

With or without the migrations, I envision the various regions of the Pennisula varying in their religious character. Northern Arabia most probably remains Christian, or at the least partially Christianized. The western and interior regions, such as the Najd and Hejaz, are likely to retain their traditional Polytheistic traditions (with the latter likely maintaining a more diverse religious community comprising of prominent Jewish tribes and various Christian groups). I envision Yemen remaining a bastion of monotheism considering the OTL prominence of monotheistic faiths such as Judaism, along with the regions historical connection with Axum. The mercantile hub of the Eastern Gulf/Bahrain region may see a religion such as Buddhism spread in competition with the established Nestorian presence. In such a scenario, Eastern Arabia (along with Oman) may become a melting pot of various faiths.

In terms of Arabian Polytheism, what are the chances of its development into a sort of Hinduism equivalent? Alternatively, could the Polytheist community embrace a more formalized faith, focusing on venerating specific deities (such as focusing on the worship of a trinity of al-Lat, Al-'Uzzá, and Manāt)?
Large scale as in the entire peninsula ? Well not but some tribes would move the move north WWE already occuring before as some tribes of the njad had moved up north
Umar: Makers of Islamic Civilization is a good book about this time .

I agree that Northern Arabia remains chirstians with the ghassanids and the byzantine along with the nestorians it's clear that religion was not going away .
Yemen would have it's polythiest but Judaism would big there eastern Arabia like Oman was polythiest with some minor Zoroastrian communities .

As for Hejaz it would depend how much the quraysh continue to grow they having the most power could model Arabian polytheism the most

The proximity of Arabia to the Byzantines, Sassanids and Horn of Africa meant the region had been a nexus for trade and commerce, along with becoming a melting point of various intellectual and religious traditions. Evidence suggests that Polytheistic traditions where practised by the majority of the population. The various Arab communities tended to worship the same deities, however certain gods tended to be venerated to a greater extent (or exclusively) depending on the clan/region. Nevertheless, Monotheism had established a strong presence throughout the peninsula, with evidence of prominent communities of Christians, Jews and adherents of independent monotheism being documented by Islamic and Non-Islamic scholarship alike. While this presence and prolonged contact with monotheism did not inhibit or affect the traditional Arab faiths (and their tribal adherents), it was certainty significant in the region. Particularly fascinating is the influences and similarities that can observed within the Islamic faith due to such religious diversity.

The advent of Islam in Late Antiquity transformed the region. Alongside uniting the fractured Arab tribes, the supremacy of Islam metamorphized the religious character of the Peninsula. Within mere decades Arabia had become religiously homogenous, the once dominant Polytheistic traditions vanquished and formerly prominent communities such as the Jewish Arabian tribes expelled/relocated to outside their homelands. That does not necessarily mean Pre-Islamic traditions disappeared or that Arab clans fully embraced Islam without later lingering into apostasy, fundamentally however Polytheism had been deeply diminished. The effects of Islam on the Peninsula can not be understated, thus prompting a question of how would religion develop in a diverse region like Arabia without the emergence of Islam.
Arabia might well remain a multireligious multipolar region. Certainly the Persians and the Romans if they both survived in some form would still retain control over certain vassal states (Lakhmids and Ghassanids) and colonies (Bahrain was a colony of Persia no?) in the region but other than that I dont see much reason for them to invade or control it directly so it might occur that it becomes a sort of proxy ridden battle ground. Might even see the Ethiopians/Abbysinians use it as a base to expand their influence by controlling the straits and conquering Yemenite polities.

Honestly I'm of the theory that the Arab Migrations while important in changing the genetic makeup of the region no doubt were more pivotal in solidifying centuries of Arabization of native peoples. Present day Egyptian Arabs for example are just Islamized Egyptians with Arab Admixture if I remember correctly. So while Arab Migrations might still have an impact, I think Mesopotamia already had a sizable Arabized and Arab diaspora population even in Sassanian times virtue of the Lakhmids and the migration trends of pre-Islamic Arabs aligned with Persia this would be minimized.

As for religious makeup that I can't do much to predict but Islam certainly from a Secular view seems to have large Zoroastrian and Abrahamic influence what with the inclusion of the Bridge of Hell from Zoroastrianism, and of course Abrahamic continuity with the Prophetic line. What is obvious that the Hanifs were definitely a powerful religious movement which in our time peaked and birthed the mission of the Prophet (SAW). What we could see in alternate timelines is the birth of several distinct sects some which operated within the fold of Pre-Islamic Indigenous religions similar to Hindu Monolatral/Henotheistic Sects or branch off into separate mystery religions who knows certainly at the time of the Prophets' (SAW) death there were many opportunists and soothsayers who were able to muster up followings so one could infer that the peninsular was just waiting for a religious renaissance.

What is clear however that Arabia would remain largely divided and definitely multipolar for the immediate future follwoing the 6th century.

Arabia might well remain a multireligious multipolar region. Certainly the Persians and the Romans if they both survived in some form would still retain control over certain vassal states (Lakhmids and Ghassanids) and colonies (Bahrain was a colony of Persia no?) in the region but other than that I dont see much reason for them to invade or control it directly so it might occur that it becomes a sort of proxy ridden battle ground. Might even see the Ethiopians/Abbysinians use it as a base to expand their influence by controlling the straits and conquering Yemenite polities.

Honestly I'm of the theory that the Arab Migrations while important in changing the genetic makeup of the region no doubt were more pivotal in solidifying centuries of Arabization of native peoples. Present day Egyptian Arabs for example are just Islamized Egyptians with Arab Admixture if I remember correctly. So while Arab Migrations might still have an impact, I think Mesopotamia already had a sizable Arabized and Arab diaspora population even in Sassanian times virtue of the Lakhmids and the migration trends of pre-Islamic Arabs aligned with Persia this would be minimized.

As for religious makeup that I can't do much to predict but Islam certainly from a Secular view seems to have large Zoroastrian and Abrahamic influence what with the inclusion of the Bridge of Hell from Zoroastrianism, and of course Abrahamic continuity with the Prophetic line. What is obvious that the Hanifs were definitely a powerful religious movement which in our time peaked and birthed the mission of the Prophet (SAW). What we could see in alternate timelines is the birth of several distinct sects some which operated within the fold of Pre-Islamic Indigenous religions similar to Hindu Monolatral/Henotheistic Sects or branch off into separate mystery religions who knows certainly at the time of the Prophets' (SAW) death there were many opportunists and soothsayers who were able to muster up followings so one could infer that the peninsular was just waiting for a religious renaissance.

What is clear however that Arabia would remain largely divided and definitely multipolar for the immediate future follwoing the 6th century.
Depends on the pod as the sassanids disolved the lakmid kingdom

Seconded.

The Hanifiyya are increasingly being regarded as the ascendant faith movement in the moment just prior to the advent of Islam. There's archeological evidence for some major shakeups ocurring in the region, with invocations to gods of any sort become less and less common in rock inscriptions as we move closer to the beginning of the Prophet Muhammad's mission. There is also some textual evidence that Musaylimah (a famous 'apostate' prophet) may have been preaching his own monotheistic message as early as the first few years of the Meccan period of Muhammad's career (though this is obviously complicated by accounts of Musalyimah's conversion and then apostasy from Islam). I take the position that there were major changes happening in Arabian religious life in the late 6th/early 7th century, alongside the development of Islam, which have mostly been lost to history.

That being said, the likelihood of a single figure arising from the patchwork of tribes to unite the entire peninsula under a single banner is vanishingly small. Arabia without Islam is likely to develop into a hodgepodge of religious beliefs and practices which at some point in the future will be given some atrocious exonym (as in the case of Indian faith and "Hinduism" or Chinese faith and "Shenism"). Of course you would likely have some Christians, Buddhists and Zoroastrians (as you do in India), but the Arabs are likely to hold to their indigenous traditions in my opinion.

Speculating what this religion might develop into, while interesting, is hopelessly muddled by the question of what would happen politically in absence of the Caliphal conquests of the Early Islamic period. Others have touched on the influence of the Iranians and Greeks/Romans, but I'd also like to point out that the Indian Ocean trade was a major vector of economic and religious expansion for the Arabs. Supposing that without a unified front the Arabs are not able to snatch lands from the Byzantines/Sasanians, we might actually see a sort of Arab-Viking Age where the Arab expansion is mostly directed toward East Africa, India, and South East Asia. Not super likely, but just a cool thought.

Coivara

Banned
I remember reading a very old book about the Heresies of Christianity, written in 1936 I think, and there is a chapter about Islam. In it, the author writes about how Islam is actually a Christian Heresy born outside Christendom and how Islam was clearly influenced by not just mainstream Christianity of the time, but also by heresies that were common in the Middle-East of the time.

So, if Islam is actually a Christian Heresy which went big, then perhaps the alternate Islam is another "Heresy gone big". Perhaps one which still retains Christian character.